Author Topic: The Official 2010 NBA Playoffs Thread  (Read 36206 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: The Official 2010 NBA Playoffs Thread
« Reply #450 on: June 05, 2010, 04:44:07 PM »
Article excerpt:

Just ask Phoenix Suns coach Alvin Gentry.

“Every time we got it close, Kobe made an incredible tough shot that is well defended,” said Gentry, whose team lost 4-2 in the Western Conference finals because they simply couldn’t hold Bryant in check.

In six games against the Suns, Bryant averaged 33.7 points and shot 52% from the field and 43% from the 3-point line. And in the series-clinching Game 6, he scored nine points in the final three minutes to fend off a furious fourth-quarter rally by the Suns.

“I’ve always been a big fan of his, and he knows that, and I’ve always thought he’s the best player in basketball,” said Gentry. “He didn’t do anything in this series against us that made me think otherwise. As a matter of fact, it probably solidified my thought process that he’s the best player in basketball right now.”

Better than, dare I say, Michael Jordan?

“Now, I’m not going to get into that. I might work for the Bobcats some day,” Gentry said. “All I’m saying, at this time right now, he’s the best player in basketball. It’s not even close.”

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/alvin-gentry-kobe-bryant-is-the-best-player-in-the-nba

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #451 on: June 05, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »
From D-Whistle:

And now Dwyane Wade is making a statement of his own: Kobe Bryant is the best basketball player in the game today.

“I believe that Kobe Bryant is still the best player in the game, his experience and his overall talent. It’s not taking away from LeBron, it’s not taking away from Carmelo, it’s not taking away from myself,” Wade told ESPN Radio Chicago. “Kobe has been in the game longer than the rest of us, he’s older than us, he’s smart with the game. He’s the better player.”

http://dimemag.com/2009/06/dwyane-wade-kobe-bryant-is-still-the-best-player-in-the-game/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #452 on: June 05, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
To differentiate between Bryant and James, the Suns' Grant Hill, who has been charged with guarding both, turns to a baseball metaphor.

"LeBron has the pullup jumper and he takes you to the rim," said Hill. "He has the two pitches, and, trust me, both of them are great. But Kobe is like the guy with all the pitches. He brings his fastball, his change, gives you something on the corner. LeBron will overpower you but you might know what's coming. With Kobe, you're never comfortable."

There is also that ineffable something known as will. Earlier this season Orlando's feisty Matt Barnes was standing close to Bryant when he feigned throwing a ball at Bryant's face. Bryant never even flinched. "That scared me a little," Barnes said later. "I mean, that wasn't even human."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jack_mccallum/05/28/kobe/index.html

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #453 on: June 05, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »
From D-Whistle:

And now Dwyane Wade is making a statement of his own: Kobe Bryant is the best basketball player in the game today.

“I believe that Kobe Bryant is still the best player in the game, his experience and his overall talent. It’s not taking away from LeBron, it’s not taking away from Carmelo, it’s not taking away from myself,” Wade told ESPN Radio Chicago. “Kobe has been in the game longer than the rest of us, he’s older than us, he’s smart with the game. He’s the better player.”

http://dimemag.com/2009/06/dwyane-wade-kobe-bryant-is-still-the-best-player-in-the-game/

I agree on Kobe being the best today, Jordan was best ever.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #454 on: June 05, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »
I agree on Kobe being the best today, Jordan was best ever.

I didn't start the Kobe vs. Jordan argument in this thread (I don't think?) and don't really care much about it.  I wouldn't really argue with anyone who thinks Jordan is the best player in NBA history.  Or Larry Bird.  Or Wilt.  Kareem.  Magic.  You could even throw an outside the box name in the mix like Isaiah Thomas.  As I've said, all just a matter of opinion. 

And now back to the Kobe is da man excerpts.   :D  From Kevin Durant:

Durant knew better and he laughed at the notion that Bryant could no longer play at a MVP level.

“Kobe Bryant is the best player in the league, one of the best players in the world,” Durant told reporters after his team was destroyed, 111-87, in Game 5 by Bryant’s Lakers and is now on the brink of elimination down 3-2 in the series. Durant was held to 17 points (13 points below his regular-season average) and the Thunder shot just 37% from the field.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/kevin-durant-kobe-bryant-is-best-player-in-nba

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #455 on: June 05, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »
1. Bryant has won 3 All Star MVP Awards. He started in every single NBA All Star game.

2. Bryant has won 4 NBA championships. In each, it cannot be denied that he led his team to victory.

3. Bryant also won the 2009 NBA Finals MVP after the Lakers defeated the Rockets.

4. Bryant was the scoring champion in both 2006 and 2007.

5. In 2006, Bryant scored 81 points against the Toronto Raptors which is the second highest number of points scored in a single game in NBA history. He had only been in the NBA for 10 years then.

6. Bryant is an NBA All Star. 2009 is his 11th consecutive year.

7. Bryant won the Slam Dunk Contest in 1997.

8. Bryant currently holds 10 NBA records and shares 2. Among those are most three point field goals made in one game and youngest player to score 20,000 points.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2448818/kobe_bryant_is_the_best_player_of_our.html?cat=14

I'd add his NBA All Defense selections every year.  Outscoring the entire Dallas Mavericks team through three quarters.  His triple doubles.  Dunking on seven footers, including Yao, David Robinson, and Tim Duncan.  Blocking Yao's shot.  Any many more. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #456 on: June 05, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »
"I think what we've seen from Kobe in the last two, three years is that he has become an incredible leader," former Lakers great Magic Johnson said about Bryant. "That was the only thing he had to do that was left on his resume. Before, there was no question that he was the best basketball player in the world, like he is now. He was dominant every night, but he didn’t take on that leadership role. ... Now, he is the total package."

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/46066/nbas_top_50_players_all-star_panel_picks_kobe_bryant_no._1_over_lebron_james

O.K.  I'm done for now.  Almost lunchtime.   :)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #457 on: June 05, 2010, 05:10:10 PM »
I didn't start the Kobe vs. Jordan argument in this thread (I don't think?) and don't really care much about it.  I wouldn't really argue with anyone who thinks Jordan is the best player in NBA history.  Or Larry Bird.  Or Wilt.  Kareem.  Magic.  You could even throw an outside the box name in the mix like Isaiah Thomas.  As I've said, all just a matter of opinion. 

And now back to the Kobe is da man excerpts.   :D  From Kevin Durant:

Durant knew better and he laughed at the notion that Bryant could no longer play at a MVP level.

“Kobe Bryant is the best player in the league, one of the best players in the world,” Durant told reporters after his team was destroyed, 111-87, in Game 5 by Bryant’s Lakers and is now on the brink of elimination down 3-2 in the series. Durant was held to 17 points (13 points below his regular-season average) and the Thunder shot just 37% from the field.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/kevin-durant-kobe-bryant-is-best-player-in-nba
Sorry to get off topic bro I just had to throw that in.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #458 on: June 05, 2010, 11:09:33 PM »
Its fair to place kobe in Jordan and Bird status, Jordan and bird were fierce competitors they had a hunger to win, Kobe does too, lebron is young, he will get there hopefully, but Kobe and lebron are not in the same leauge right now, james is better physically, thats all.

I feel the lakers will win it all.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #459 on: June 06, 2010, 09:24:50 AM »
Sorry to get off topic bro I just had to throw that in.

No worries.  Not off topic at all. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #460 on: June 06, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »
Its fair to place kobe in Jordan and Bird status, Jordan and bird were fierce competitors they had a hunger to win, Kobe does too, lebron is young, he will get there hopefully, but Kobe and lebron are not in the same leauge right now, james is better physically, thats all.

I think they win too, but it's going to be a very tough series.  Will be some elbows flying today. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #461 on: June 06, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
were my posts deleted?

E
E

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #462 on: June 06, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »

you put Farmar in the same sentence with Bird and Kobe?   How coolo.   Now his head wont fit inside Staples!     :D
((-::

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #463 on: June 06, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »
you put Farmar in the same sentence with Bird and Kobe?   How coolo.   Now his head wont fit inside Staples!     :D

hahaha, Michael jordan.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #464 on: June 07, 2010, 11:58:54 AM »
hahaha, Michael jordan.
I kind of knew   was playing with it though.
((-::

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #465 on: June 18, 2010, 11:28:16 AM »
Why is the Celtics vs Lakers thread locked? 

Great series.  Props to Boston for leaving it all on the floor.  Thrilled with the outcome.  I'm exhausted.   :)