Author Topic: Texas Doctor: "I fired my first Obama voting employee today"  (Read 5991 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Texas Doctor: "I fired my first Obama voting employee today"
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »
like I said in my made up scenario, they would be fired for voting for a pro-christian candidate and not for merely being christian. 

No problem with that right?

Nothing to complain about right?

lol.  Go do your homework.  I gave you big hint. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »
lol.  Go do your homework.  I gave you big hint. 

I assume you would have nothing nothing to complain about in the scenario I presented. 
It"s exactly the same as the dr. in Texas and you have no problem with that

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
As yet i doubt there has been a need to bring about a law preventing such discrimination.  You come across as the kind of guy who would have fired woman for voting in woman's rights leaders because it raised their wages or fired blacks for doing the same thing, or gays for that matter.  What you are complicit in is worse than anything Obama could ever hope to do. 

:o    :o    :o  Holy cow! You guys don't have a law preventing this kind of discrimination?

Holy Cow! That simply blows my mind. Up here, employers don't have a right to even ask who you're voting for. They're just required to give employees time off to vote if they need it.
w

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »

:o    :o    :o  Holy cow! You guys don't have a law preventing this kind of discrimination?

Holy Cow! That simply blows my mind. Up here, employers don't have a right to even ask who you're voting for. They're just required to give employees time off to vote if they need it.

If I open a business I should be able to hire and fire anyone on whatever basis I choose.  You know why?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:31 PM »
If I open a business I should be able to hire and fire anyone on whatever basis I choose.  You know why?

shoulda, woulda, coulda... sorry... the law does not work that way.

You are an employer, not a slave holder. There is a contract involved, and as long as the employee is fulfilling their end of the contract, the employer cannot unilaterally dismiss him or her without just cause, and how one votes in an election is not just cause, ...it is tyranny.
w

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »
shoulda, woulda, coulda... sorry... the law does not work that way.

You are an employer, not a slave holder. There is a contract involved, and as long as the employee is fulfilling their end of the contract, the employer cannot unilaterally dismiss him or her without just cause, and how one votes in an election is not just cause, ...it is tyranny.

For once I agree with you BUT there is no contract here when you get a job.If I work for a landscaping company the guy hires me and can fire me anytime he wants to.When your a regular worker there are no contracts.However,the idea that ANYONE would fire you for ANY other reason then poor performance is insane.I dont care if the guy is a wild eyed hippie outside of work who is a member of the communist party,just do your freaking job and you should keep your job.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2010, 12:11:48 PM »
For once I agree with you BUT there is no contract here when you get a job.If I work for a landscaping company the guy hires me and can fire me anytime he wants to.When your a regular worker there are no contracts.However,the idea that ANYONE would fire you for ANY other reason then poor performance is insane.I dont care if the guy is a wild eyed hippie outside of work who is a member of the communist party,just do your freaking job and you should keep your job.

Sorry Billy, I should have made myself clearer... I meant in the cases where there is no written contract, there is an unwritten one, and whatever lawful activity one engages in outside of work is separate and has or should have nothing to do with his work and whether he gets to keep his job.
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2010, 12:13:26 PM »
Sorry Billy, I should have made myself clearer... I meant in the cases where there is no written contract, there is an unwritten one, and whatever lawful activity one engages in outside of work is separate and has or should have nothing to do with his work and whether he gets to keep his job.

So you'd be totally fine paying an employee who didn't believe your business should make a profit?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
So you'd be totally fine paying an employee who didn't believe your business should make a profit?

If the guy said to you "I dont think you should make a profit' then Id say he could be fired for lack of loyalty.However,if the guy just voted for Obama that doesnt mean he doesnt think you should make a profit.Obama did get like 50 million votes.Thats a lot of people to fire.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »

I would hire my employees carefully, and I would expect a certain profit margin from their activities.

Employees are bought wholesale and are sold retail. If a product is no longer selling, I stop carrying it.
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2010, 12:28:16 PM »
If the guy said to you "I dont think you should make a profit' then Id say he could be fired for lack of loyalty.However,if the guy just voted for Obama that doesnt mean he doesnt think you should make a profit.Obama did get like 50 million votes.Thats a lot of people to fire.

If the policies they support mean your business cannot survive.....