Author Topic: Sheriff To Texas Border Town: 'Arm Yourselves'  (Read 2841 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Sheriff To Texas Border Town: 'Arm Yourselves'
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »
Sheriff To Texas Border Town: 'Arm Yourselves'
NPR ^ | April 9, 2010 | John Burnett

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 9:36:17 AM by SwinneySwitch
________________________ ________________________ __________________

Along the border, fears are growing that the escalating drug violence in Mexico will spill into the United States.

Last month, a well-known rancher was murdered in southeastern Arizona. Authorities suspect an illegal immigrant did it.

The murder prompted governors in New Mexico and Texas to send forces to the border. This week, the Mexican government sent dozens of police and soldiers to the Juarez Valley to restore order.

For many on both sides of the border, the fear is very real.

'Arm Yourselves'

Last week, residents held a town-hall meeting in Fort Hancock, Texas — a sleepy agricultural town on the border, about an hour southeast of El Paso, that looks like the bleak set of No Country for Old Men.

A couple hundred people crowded into the grade-school gym to hear a chilling message from Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West.

"You farmers, I'm telling you right now, arm yourselves," he said. "As they say the old story is, it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by six. Damn it, I don't want to see six people carrying you."

His warning was prompted by the killing of the Arizona rancher, and the spiraling violence a couple of miles away in Mexico in a region known as the Valley of Juarez. The notorious smuggling territory is being fought over by the Sinaloa and the Juarez cartels.

"One of the men that works for me had five people killed in front of his house over there [in Mexico] this past weekend," says Curtis Carr, who is a farmer and county commissioner. "And he's moving his family over here this week. It's serious over there. Whether or not it's gonna spill over here, I don't know."

Nobody knows.

'They Poked His Eyes Out'

The sheriff warned citizens to be alert and report strange vehicles on their streets. But at the same time, he said, don't succumb to fear.

"We haven't had anybody kidnapped here yet, but it could come," he said. "We haven't had anybody killed here, but that could come."

The violence in the Juarez Valley directly affects this little Texas town.

A couple of weeks ago, gunmen in the Juarez Valley killed the Mexican relative of a Fort Hancock high school student. When the student's family in Fort Hancock heard about it, they crossed the border at 10 a.m. to see the body, and took the student with them.

"By 10:30, they had stabbed the relatives that went with him, which included his grandparents, with an ice pick," says school superintendent Jose Franco. "My understanding is that the gentleman is like 90 years old, and they poked his eyes out with an ice pick. I believe those people are still in intensive care here in a hospital in the U.S."

Franco says the boy has isolated himself from other students so they won't ask him about the gruesome attack that he witnessed.

Tactics To Drive Out Rivals: Arson, Murder

The Valley of Juarez has a long history of human and drug trafficking. There's lots of open farmland for illicit activity. It's close to the city of Juarez, a major smuggling point. It's right across from Texas, with Interstate 10 only a few miles to the north.

And the river, the Rio Grande, is no deterrent.

Veteran Border Patrol agent Joe Romero stands on a levee overlooking the international river — which this time of year is but a trickle.

"You can literally walk across the river — and some times of the year not even get wet," he says. "And with the ease with which you can literally cross the border here from one side to the other, this made it very lucrative and appealing to anybody trying to smuggle in whatever contraband they had."

In recent years, the Department of Homeland Security has put up 44 miles of tall fencing across from the Juarez Valley, and doubled the number of Border Patrol agents. As a result, marijuana seizures in this area have fallen 97 percent in the past four years.

But none of this has dampened the drug mafias' vicious competition to dominate the Juarez Valley.

Farmers In Esperanza Flee To Juarez

Esperanza is one of several farm towns in the Juarez Valley terrorized by the narco-war. Last week, traffickers are believed to have torched two houses there and killed the occupant of one. A large bloodstain on the back door of one house marks the spot where the owner was executed.

More than 50 people were killed in the Juarez Valley in March.

Arson and murder are the tactics being used to drive out rival traffickers, as well as the general population.

Along a highway, eight members of the Villareal family stand, their bags packed, waiting for the bus. They say they're all afraid because of the killings. There's no security, no work anymore, and farmers have abandoned their fields.

You know it's bad when people are fleeing for safety to Juarez — the most murderous city in the hemisphere.

________________________ _____________________

you libs better not coming knocking on my door.  If I have extras when you need it, I am not sharing. 

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Re: Sheriff To Texas Border Town: 'Arm Yourselves'
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »
Let the FEARMONGERING begin...
C

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
The entire US/Mexican border should be 5 miles wide of landmines.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
Let the FEARMONGERING begin...

Bold words from somebody who doesn't have to deal with the problem.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:35:06 AM »

Bold words from somebody who doesn't have to deal with the problem.

Really!

it must suck to be stuck in the middle of criminal thugs who care not for human life.

I guess that's how many residents in urban centres feel when they see gangs going it at it in the streets.

Whether they be Al Capone's boys from yesteryear going up against a rival mafia gang, or the Crips & Bloods of South Central LA, ...or an ordinary citizen stuck between the power-mad criminals vying for control in Iraq.
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 03:08:49 AM »
This isn;t ur problem..we'll deal with our own shit.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:22:50 AM »
This isn;t ur problem..we'll deal with our own shit.

Considering the NAFTA zone and superhighway they're looking to create from mexico to Canada, I'd say it is our problem as well. only recently has your government been issuing travel advisorys against Mexico, ...but we've been issuing travel advisorys to Canadian for a few years now. Alot of Canadians getting murdered in Mexico... so as far as I'm concerned, it is our mutual problem... although I'm content to see Texas overrun with deadly criminal elements... isn't that where you reside?  :-*
w

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:00:10 AM »
Considering the NAFTA zone and superhighway they're looking to create from mexico to Canada, I'd say it is our problem as well. only recently has your government been issuing travel advisorys against Mexico, ...but we've been issuing travel advisorys to Canadian for a few years now. Alot of Canadians getting murdered in Mexico... so as far as I'm concerned, it is our mutual problem... although I'm content to see Texas overrun with deadly criminal elements... isn't that where you reside?  :-*

How ignorant are you?

Hugo...really you're gonna let something slide like this? 

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:31:11 AM »

RIP Bob Probert

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »
honestly I would love to live in this town.

guns, beer and home made jerkey is all I would need.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »
If there wasn't a market you wouldn't have the drugs and violence.  Unfortunately the American government for too long was complicit in the trade so long as violence was restricted to south american countries and drugs were sold to minorities.  It's too late now because drugs have become a mainstream part of American life whether legal or illegal.  You reap what you sow and America has for too long been all too happy to stand by and let the south and central American governments deal with an ever expanding gang problem that is funded by the American buyer. 
Abandon every hope...

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
If there wasn't a market you wouldn't have the drugs and violence.  Unfortunately the American government for too long was complicit in the trade so long as violence was restricted to south american countries and drugs were sold to minorities.  It's too late now because drugs have become a mainstream part of American life whether legal or illegal.  You reap what you sow and America has for too long been all too happy to stand by and let the south and central American governments deal with an ever expanding gang problem that is funded by the American buyer. 

You missed the point of the article though.  You're talking about the federal government while the article outlines the plight of the people that are having to deal with the repurcussions of the policy that you so stated.  Your post comes across as blaming the people for possibly having to take matters into their own hands to defend themselves.  That's just what it came off as so don't get take it to heart.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 09:47:52 AM »
You missed the point of the article though.  You're talking about the federal government while the article outlines the plight of the people that are having to deal with the repurcussions of the policy that you so stated.  Your post comes across as blaming the people for possibly having to take matters into their own hands to defend themselves.  That's just what it came off as so don't get take it to heart.

Remember W calling people who were against the illegal invaders "vigilantes"? 

What a POS he was. 

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:14:12 AM »
Remember W calling people who were against the illegal invaders "vigilantes"? 

What a POS he was. 

Yeah, people just defending the laws of this country are racist!   ;D

Just another day at the white house.

El Chapo

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • The Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »
as a american of mexican and venezuelan descent i have to say that current situation in mexico is very upsetting. even if america was to legalize drugs and end this perceived war the violencei n mexico would not end because europe and asian countries have massive drug problems that are only getting worse so the cartels will still fight for control of those markets

- El Chapo

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
as a american of mexican and venezuelan descent i have to say that current situation in mexico is very upsetting. even if america was to legalize drugs and end this perceived war the violencei n mexico would not end because europe and asian countries have massive drug problems that are only getting worse so the cartels will still fight for control of those markets

- El Chapo

So what would you do? 

Seriously, what is the answer to this? 

I think legalization is part of the answer, but not the whole answer. 

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »
suddenly the American government starts to give a shit once it starts to spill over to our soil?

El Chapo

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • The Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
So what would you do? 

Seriously, what is the answer to this? 

I think legalization is part of the answer, but not the whole answer. 

the answer is to defend the border better and give the mexican military the training they need to adequately combat the problem. legalization would help but to act like it is the cause of the problem and the solution is foolish. europe and asias drug problem is as big of a problem as americas and probably worse and the cartels are very active there. legalization will help but not end the problem

- El Chapo

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »
suddenly the American government starts to give a shit once it starts to spill over to our soil?

Um, yeah.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
Um, yeah.

Don't kid yourself, the govt loves this mess.