Author Topic: GAO: U.S. Post Office is "no longer viable".  (Read 3806 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: GAO: U.S. Post Office is "no longer viable".
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
Again,

Mandated is a synonym for Authorized.  Dictionaries are like Kryptonite to  Republicans.  Then, there is the problem of comprehension which I won`t even bother to go into.

I hope this helps although I am sure it won`t:

http://thesaurus.com/browse/mandate
hahha general welfare is all im going to say  ;)

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
hahha general welfare is all im going to say  ;)
And Implied Powers is all we need to know.
I Love The True Adon

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 08:35:09 PM »
And Implied Powers is all we need to know.
LOL then dont ever bitch  ;)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 08:46:40 PM »
Again,

Mandated is a synonym for Authorized.  Dictionaries are like Kryptonite to  Republicans.  Then, there is the problem of comprehension which I won`t even bother to go into.

I hope this helps although I am sure it won`t:

http://thesaurus.com/browse/mandate

Just so we have this straight.  The title of the thread is "GAO: U.S. Post Office is 'no longer viable'".

And the point of the article is that the post office is going belly up.

And all you wanted to indicate was that Congress has the authority to create the post office?

Hahahaha...give it up already.

Sure you don't need that hug?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
that doesnt mean that its doing fine... ;)

fine is probably one of the most subjective words in our language

it's seems fine to me

every time I mail a letter it seems to get there

what problems have you had?

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 09:01:48 PM »

Just so we have this straight.  The title of the thread is "GAO: U.S. Post Office is 'no longer viable'".

And the point of the article is that the post office is going belly up.

And all you wanted to indicate was that Congress has the authority to create the post office?

Hahahaha...give it up already.

Sure you don't need that hug?
Do you envision a United States without a Post Office?  I don`t nor would I ever want to.
I Love The True Adon

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »
fine is probably one of the most subjective words in our language

it's seems fine to me

every time I mail a letter it seems to get there

what problems have you had?
nooo "good" is the most subjective term

well at least we know your measuring stick...seems like AIG and GM are all doing fine too then I guess  ;)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »
nooo "good" is the most subjective term

well at least we know your measuring stick...seems like AIG and GM are all doing fine too then I guess  ;)

I believe the us postal service is good

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 06:39:57 AM »

just like AIG, CITI and GM huh?  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 06:41:01 AM »

And Maddoffs' clients thought he was a great financial advisor and investor.   ::)  ::)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 06:46:08 AM »
What is "bad" about the Post Office then?

The fact it costs money?

So does a lot of other stuff.

The postal service does function very efficiently and perform at an extremely above average level.

Is it losing money? Perhaps, but that is about how the world and communication has changed. No longer is news required to be delivered by paper.

Sometimes you're all far too concerned with being "right".

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 06:48:14 AM »
What is "bad" about the Post Office then?

The fact it costs money?

So does a lot of other stuff.

The postal service does function very efficiently and perform at an extremely above average level.

Is it losing money? Perhaps, but that is about how the world and communication has changed. No longer is news required to be delivered by paper.

Sometimes you're all far too concerned with being "right".

Right, so now the GAO is making stuff up? 

The US Post office is a fiscal disaster and on point to lose 250 BILLION over the next ten years.  Who pays for that?

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »
This logical person says TA got owned.  Skip did that at the beginning of this thread, quit trying to discuss the definition and derailing the thread.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »
I never said the GAO was making anything up.

I'm saying the Post Office does do a good job at it's job.

It is unfortunate that due to technological changes, that the job they do has been relatively obsoleted.

I personally believe they should get rid of Saturday delivery and potentially reduce even further after that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 09:04:26 PM »
U.S. Postal Service to cut 7,500 jobs, close offices
Yahoo ^

U.S. Postal Service to cut 7,500 jobs, close offices 31 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. Postal Service said on Thursday it would cut 7,500 jobs and close seven district offices and 2,000 post offices as it handles less mail and faces greater staff costs and competition from FedEx and United Parcel Service.

"It's critical that we adjust our work force to match America's changing communications trends as mail volumes continue to decline," Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe said in a statement.

In November, the Postal Service reported a net loss of $8.5 billion for fiscal year 2010, its fourth consecutive year of losses.

Joanne Veto, a spokeswoman for the Postal Service, said, "We know that we cannot look the same 10 years from now. The mail volume isn't there. We have to adjust to keep up with the mail and customer needs."

She said the Postal Service would close 2,000 post offices around the United States over the next 12 months, while eliminating the 7,500 jobs.

As of the end of January, the agency employed 583,000 people.

The first round of job cuts are expected to be completed by May 31. As part of the first round of cuts, the Postal Service said it was offering voluntary early retirement of $20,000 paid over two years to employees 50 years old with 20 years of service, or any age with 25 years of service.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »
Where can I buy stock in the Post Office?   :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
U.S. Postal Service reports $2.2 billion loss

By Ben Rooney, staff report @CNNMoney
May 10, 2011: 5:03 PM ETNEW YORK (CNNMoney) --

The U.S. Postal Service continues to hemorrhage money, with a loss of $2.2 billion in the most recent quarter.

The national mail service said Tuesday that it expects to have a cash shortfall and reach its statutory borrowing limit by the time its fiscal year ends in September. That means the agency could be forced to default on some of its payments to the federal government.

0EmailPrint
Patrick Donahoe, the Postmaster General, said the service is still seeking changes to federal laws that would allow it to change its business model and potentially save enough money to avoid a default.

"The Postal Service may return to financial stability only through significant changes to the laws that limit flexibility and impose undue financial burdens," Donahoe said in a statement.

At issue is a 2006 law requiring the service to pay between $5.4 and $5.8 billion into its prepaid retiree health benefits each year. In addition, the agency is seeking Congressional approval to eliminate Saturday mail service.

The postal service has estimated that moving to five day service could save $3.1 billion. But the Postal Regulatory Commission, which oversees the agency, issued an advisory in March that put the savings at a much more modest $1.7 billion.

While the Postal Service is not strictly a government agency, it is not exactly a private business either.

Dear USPS: Consider privatizing
The service funds its operations through the sale of postage, products and services. But it does receive some taxpayer support and is only required to make enough money to break even.

The service has been struggling with a prolonged slump in mail volume as email and other electronic forms of communication have supplanted 'snail mail,' as the practice of sending letters is now known.

0:00 / 2:26 USPS Postmaster: We will survive
In addition, the service has been hit hard by the weak economy as businesses cut back on direct mail marketing, traditionally a big source of revenue for USPS.

"Sluggish economic growth and diversion of First-Class Mail to electronic alternatives continue to cause record losses," said Joseph Corbett, the chief financial officer at USPS.

That's despite ongoing cost cutting measures, including a reduction of over 130,000 full-time workers over the last three years, he added.

20 most profitable companies
Meanwhile, the recent spike in gas prices could make the situation even worse.

The service said it expects to save up to $1.6 billion this fiscal year as a result of its efforts to reduce expenses and reorganize its operations. But the benefit of those measures "may be offset by rising fuel prices," the service said.

In its fiscal second quarter, which ended in March, the Postal Service said it lost $2.2 billion, up from $1.3 billion in the same period in 2010.

Operating revenue dropped 2.8% to $16.2 billion in the quarter.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/10/news/companies/usps_earnings/?section=money_latest

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »
Source: Reuters

The U.S. Postal Service posted a $2.2 billion net loss in its second quarter and said it might be unable to pay its debts by September.

The agency, which has been battling falling mail volumes and competition from FedEx (FDX.N) and United Parcel Service (UPS.N), said it expects to hit its borrowing limit by the September 30 end of the fiscal year, and will have to default on payments to the federal government unless Congress intervenes.

"The Postal Service continues to seek changes in the law to enable a more flexible and sustainable business model," said Chief Executive Patrick Donahoe in a statement.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/10/us-postalserv