Author Topic: UFC 116: Kongo vs. Nelson  (Read 944 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
UFC 116: Kongo vs. Nelson
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »
Sources close to Cheick Kongo have confirmed the Frenchman's next bout will be against TUF 10 winner Roy "Big Country" Nelson, who himself confirmed the news via his own Twitter and Facebook accounts.

After winning TUF 10, Nelson delivered a 1st round KP to Stefan "The Skyscraper" Struve at UFC Fight Night: Florian vs Gomi on March 31st, in what was his 19th fight, currently holding a record of 15-4, the four losses coming from Andrei Arlovski, Jeff Monson, Ben Rothwell and Josh Curran. Arlovski delivered Nelson his only ko loss to date. On the show, Nelson Deveated Kimbo Slice, Justin Wren and James McSweeney, before knocking out Brendan Schaub in the finale. His fight with Kimbo was the most viewed mma show in America, with around 3.7 million viewers. The fight itself received 6 million viewers.

Kongo on the other hand, despite coming off 2 losses to Cain Valasquez and Frank Mir, followed by a submission due to strikes victory over paul buentello, recently received a renwed 6 fight deal with the UFC while fellow Wolfslair fighters Rob Broughton, Tom Blackledge and Kurt Warburton were also offered contracts with The Ultimate Fighting Championship. Kongo holds an overall record of 15-6-1, with a respectable UFC record of 8-4.

With the UFC 116 card already expected to feature Lesnar vs Carwin, W. Silva vs Akiyama, Pelligrino vs Sotiropoulus, and now Nelson vs Kongo, fans can expect fireworks on July 3rd, in MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: UFC 116: Kongo vs. Nelson
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:43:44 AM »
If Kong doesn't start learning some ground game, he's done.

It's been exposed as a blatant weakness by literally everyone he's fought, if his opponent goes for a single or double, Kongo's fucked.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
Cheick Kongo: injured, no confirmation on Roy Nelson matchup nor UFC 116 return

While many MMA websites and blogs stated a Cheick Kongo vs. Roy Nelson matchup for UFC 116 was confirmed, the French fighter told us on Wednesday, during our interview with him at the Kongo Smashin' Club in his hometown of Paris, France, that the information was far from being confirmed.

Cheick has sustained a back injury, that he did not wish to disclose until Wednesday, during his fight with Paul Buentello at the UFC On Versus 1 event:

"I have to be able to start my preparation - the thing I haven't done yet. I am still injured [from the Buentello fight]," stated Kongo.

After undergoing several medical exams in the past few weeks, he's now waiting to see whether his injury will require surgery. If this is the case, which is possible, he wouldn't be ready to fight at UFC 116.

"I don't think it would happen at UFC 116. Maybe later but not then" said the French fighter.

He also stated that he did not get any word from the UFC on a fight between him and Nelson.
"I didn't get any word from the UFC [on this matchup], I have my manager Anthony who's working on that, and as of today I'm just actively recovering and nothing else" he concluded.
!

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
How about Roy Nelson v.  Gilbert Yvel?  That would be an interesting match up.