Author Topic: What's the story on Robert Kennedy Musclemag owner.  (Read 7201 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
What's the story on Robert Kennedy Musclemag owner.
« on: April 24, 2010, 06:47:58 PM »
I was at the barber and picked up a Musclemag and realized I don't know too much about the guy.  I know he's a a Kanuck but that's about it.

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
Re: What's the story on Robert Kennedy Musclemag owner.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:49:53 PM »
I was at the barber and picked up a Musclemag and realized I don't know too much about the guy.  I know he's a a Kanuck but that's about it.

Related to JFK.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:50:04 PM »
U

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 06:50:08 PM »

i think he is from England. he published the mag for over 10 years at a financial loss just out of passion. i have all the early issues, even the first ever from 1974

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:55:36 PM »
He's quite eccentric

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:15:01 PM »
There was a cool feature a few issues back which detailed the history. Can't find it online.

Here is some info:

http://www.rkpubs.com/Content/CompanyHistory.aspx

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:18:15 PM »
He's a bottom that enjoys the company of Nigerian sailors.
P

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »
He's married with kids.

Bodybuilding Related

• Getbig IV
  • We Are All Blessed To Be Here
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »
i think he is from England. he published the mag for over 10 years at a financial loss just out of passion. i have all the early issues, even the first ever from 1974

Whoa!  :)

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 07:34:35 PM »
just another in the long line of creepy older gentlemen who orbit the periphery of the bodybuilding industry but oddly enough have NO interest in their own personal muscular development.........just the development of taught young handsome beefcakes.

you'll know them when you see them... ::) ::)

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 07:55:04 PM »
just another in the long line of creepy older gentlemen who orbit the periphery of the bodybuilding industry but oddly enough have NO interest in their own personal muscular development.........just the development of taught young handsome beefcakes.

;D ;D ;D

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »

This is not an entirely fair statement.

Kennedy, while never possessing a great physique, is the only one out of those three, that did train passionately at one point in time, and there are quite a few pictures of him doing so, to prove it. I would probably place him in the same bracket as Joe Weider in that sense. Joe also trained, and practiced bodybuilding, (as many photos from the days of yore will attest), but he too lacked decent genetics.

Many in the industry credit Kennedy, (including the late Mike Mentzer if im not mistaken), as the main person to popularize the pre exhaust principle. He also has a reputation of being a very fair to the people that work under him, unlike Joe.

I think the biggest knock against him, was allowing Muscletech to run rampant throughout his magazine for many years, turning into almost an infomercial for said company, but otherwise, he seems to have a good reputation across the board.   

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »
This is not an entirely fair statement.

Kennedy, while never possessing a great physique, is the only one out of those three, that did train passionately at one point in time, and there are quite a few pictures of him doing so, to prove it. I would probably place him in the same bracket as Joe Weider in that sense. Joe also trained, and practiced bodybuilding, (as many photos from the days of yore will attest), but he too lacked decent genetics.

Many in the industry credit Kennedy, (including the late Mike Mentzer if im not mistaken), as the main person to popularize the pre exhaust principle. He also has a reputation of being a very fair to the people that work under him, unlike Joe.

I think the biggest knock against him, was allowing Muscletech to run rampant throughout his magazine for many years, turning into almost an infomercial for said company, but otherwise, he seems to have a good reputation across the board.   

i have nothing against bob kennedy....

that post was written for no other reason then to make myself laugh, well me, and willgrant

whether he was or not though, what im saying IS the truth

Bodybuilding Related

• Getbig IV
  • We Are All Blessed To Be Here
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »
Kennedy's loaded, right? 

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 08:15:03 PM »

i have nothing against bob kennedy....

that post was written for no other reason then to make myself laugh, well me, and willgrant

whether he was or not though, what im saying IS the truth

Very well... Carry on sir.  8)

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 09:25:58 PM »

He's got a book too, I think its called something like 1000 muscle building tips or something!

I actually like him and what he does!

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 09:32:35 PM »
He's got a book too, I think its called something like 1000 muscle building tips or something!

I actually like him and what he does!
He has many.  :)

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 05:24:46 AM »
Here's the Wikipedia info about him. For the record, I actually used to enjoy reading Musclemag more than Flex and M&F back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kennedy,_Publisher

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 05:31:22 AM »
He always has some hot hoes in his mags.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »
Bob Kennedy was quite the entrepeneur!

Started as an Art-teacher.

Robert Kennedy is the founder Robert Kennedy Publishing, based in Toronto, Ontario. Kennedy was born in 1938, the son of an Austrian father and an English mother, both school teachers. He attended Culford private school and Norwich art school in Norfolk, England. After living in London and teaching art at the Tottenham Technical College for eight years, Kennedy moved to Canada in 1967, where he taught art for five years in Brampton, Ontario.

In 1972 Kennedy went into business for himself, selling courses of instruction by mail on nutrition, bodybuilding  and fitness. In 1974 he started his first magazine, MuscleMag International, with an initial print run of 110,000.

He had no previous experience with magazine publishing, but the magazine is still in publication, 35 years later.

In addition to MuscleMag International, Kennedy has also written 53 books, including several New York Times bestsellers; Hardcore Bodybuilding, Reps!, RockHard!, Beef It!, and Pumping Up! He eventually decided to become a book publisher himself, and under Robert Kennedy Publishing, the company has published hundreds of books.

In the 1990s, Kennedy opened a 26 fitness stores and franchises and created a fitness clothing line; all were eventually sold to concentrate on the core business of book and magazine publishing.

Currently, the magazine-publishing arm includes six titles: MuscleMag International (hardcore bodybuilding), Reps! (building a proportionate body), Oxygen (women’s fitness), American Curves (swimsuit images of fitness women), Maximum Fitness (men’s fitness) and Clean Eating (eating for health and fitness). Kennedy is also known in the bodybuilding world for coining the term "Hardcore Bodybuilding" after publishing the book under the same name; and the concept The Pre-Exhaust Principle , known and used by most bodybuilders around the world.

-
And the old dude was intelligent / rich enough to snag / marry an ex fitness babe as well.

http://www.toscareno.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

Q

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 09:33:54 AM »

I've been to one of the MuscleMag stores in Las Vegas, it was AWESOME.  Lots of videos, clothes, etc.  I bought a bunch fo shirts from there!!!  Felt like a kid in a toy store!