Author Topic: Text of Arizona’s Anti-Illegal Immigration Law  (Read 10188 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: Text of Arizona’s Anti-Illegal Immigration Law
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »
That's not the same.  It's not synonymous with what we're talking about. 

You get pulled over by the cops: There was a reason, speeding, traffic violation, problem with your car etc.
Now, you can get pulled over based on how you look.  Big fucking difference.

Your last three examples are shit because they're not even subject to the authorities so they really don't apply to the situation we're talking about do they.....

Jesus Christ what is it with you guys?! The cops cannot fucking pull you over for looking Mexican. Reasonable Suspiscion is not a hunch that is based on racial profiling. There has to be some concrete reason that can be articulated for the police to detain you beyond the way you look. Key: LAWFUL INTERACTION.  I mean what do you think is going to happen in AZ now-- Mexican check points for dark skinned drivers? C'mon dude your smarter than this.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
That's not the solution being proposed, that's just you lying about it.

I'm not disagreeing about the jobs issue, I think you're right.  But that has to be just one aspect of a multi-targeted approach.

How am I lying about it, and why would I lie about it?     ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »
these days I don't find myself agreeing with Obama very much.  I'm at this point pretty sure I'm not voting for him again, but I agree with this:

"Now suddenly if you don't have your papers, and you took your kid out to get ice cream, you're going to get harassed that's something that could potentially happen... That's not the right way to go."--Obama

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
Its a straw man argument. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2010, 03:01:23 PM »
Obama is a *ucking moron who is totally misinterpreting the language of the law. Pretty pathetic for an alleged constitutional law professor. He should brush up on his criminal procedure. Nothing but mindless pandering to the illegal voting bloc and the Latino voters.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
yea, that's my point, now and in the past you can't get pulled over based on how you look.  Now I guess you can.

No they can't.  See GW's post.  The language of the law requires them to make "lawful contact" before they can inquire about immigration status: 

"For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of this state or a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person . . . ."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
GW - having passed the bar exam yourself, I have not seen so much disinformation, hyperbole, ignorance, and utter bs since the OJ Trial.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »
No they can't.  See GW's post.  The language of the law requires them to make "lawful contact" before they can inquire about immigration status: 

"For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of this state or a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person . . . ."

The level of absolutely ignorance displayed by many on this board over this law is truly embarassing.  Its OJ'esqe at this point. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2010, 03:07:27 PM »
Jesus Christ what is it with you guys?! The cops cannot fucking pull you over for looking Mexican. Reasonable Suspiscion is not a hunch that is based on racial profiling. There has to be some concrete reason that can be articulated for the police to detain you beyond the way you look. Key: LAWFUL INTERACTION.  I mean what do you think is going to happen in AZ now-- Mexican check points for dark skinned drivers? C'mon dude your smarter than this.
Calm down, let's talk about this without getting bitchy.

The law essentially legalizes racial profiling

The law puts communities of color in the crosshairs by requiring state and local government workers to determine if a person is illegally in the United States based on a “reasonable suspicion.”
Legal experts maintain that the law will result in racial profiling, as it does not prohibit police officers from relying on race or ethnicity in deciding who to investigate. Of course all Arizonans don’t all look alike. Like America, Arizona is a diverse state with multiple generations of U.S. citizens. Three out of every 10 Arizonans are Hispanic, 1 out of 10 is American Indian, and 13 percent are foreign born.

cont... http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2010/04/arizona_facts.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
Its a straw man argument.  
no it's fucking not ::)  come on, you post here more than anyone, you have got to have more than that 3333....  I even have more respect for you than that.  Let's make this a good debate!  Calling a straw man where it doesn't exist is not it for me....  You got more, bring it...

What's ironic is that we're actually on the same side in regards to the immigration issue.  I was preaching it here way before you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »
Hugo - I p[assed the bar exam, practice law, took advanced criminal procedure, and am telling you that the hyperbole and spin on this is completely bogus. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »
Hugo - I p[assed the bar exam, practice law, took advanced criminal procedure, and am telling you that the hyperbole and spin on this is completely bogus. 
That's cool.  I got respect for what you've done and all.  Can you expand for the layman like me?  In such a way as to answer my questions?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »
Call me the ultimate thread killer :D 

cricket.... cricket.......

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2010, 04:19:15 PM »
I'm on the way to the gym and will respond later.  George w has done a good job thought.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »
I'm on the way to the gym and will respond later.  George w has done a good job thought.
I knew you were a Bush fan >:(