Author Topic: Serious question.. what would you do?...  (Read 7851 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Serious question.. what would you do?...
« on: May 05, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
If tomorrow it was announced by all major newspapers that we've made contact with an extra terrestrial civilization...??

would your faith waver and belief in a 'god' dissapear or would you continue to believe??

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Serious question.. what would you do?...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:51:41 PM »
i'd continue to use logic. 

theonlyone

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:59:58 AM »
 Sounds Hollywood but not at all, the God is one and if it were to happen then it's a God's providence. Captain (no homo) you "studied" religion 8 years and still asking such questions...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:26:16 AM »
If tomorrow it was announced by all major newspapers that we've made contact with an extra terrestrial civilization...??

would your faith waver and belief in a 'god' dissapear or would you continue to believe??

Are you addressing Christians w/this question or a religion that specifically rules out extra terrestrial life (not sure which ones do)?

The bible doesn't rule out life on other planets.

An interesting theory is that "aliens" that are actually demons (fallen angels) will eventually show up en masse as part of the "great delusion" before the "rapture."  Very interesting!
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:27:58 AM »
Captain (no homo) you "studied" religion 8 years and still asking such questions...

Captain, what kinds of religion did you study?
R

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:47:29 AM »
Sounds Hollywood but not at all, the God is one and if it were to happen then it's a God's providence. Captain (no homo) you "studied" religion 8 years and still asking such questions...

Asking such question to see other people's replies and opinions :)

STella: I studied world religions, not in the sense of faith or believing (as I'd stopped believing in anything around 13) but out of sheer interest for the different types of religions that exist out in the world (including cults) and the similarities and differences amongst them, and I did actually read the whole bible from front to back, again out of interest. Not belief.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 07:58:15 AM »

STella: I studied world religions, not in the sense of faith or believing (as I'd stopped believing in anything around 13) but out of sheer interest for the different types of religions that exist out in the world (including cults) and the similarities and differences amongst them, and I did actually read the whole bible from front to back, again out of interest. Not belief.

I think that it's good if you are interested to learn about diff. belief systems to investigate them....  We used to do "Learning Threads" here w/diff belief systems ..usually a member was a "teacher" of sorts...some were really interesting.

Some JWs came to my door this past weekend...I really wanted to talk to them but by the time I got dressed they were gone!

Captain, you say you stopped believing in anything around 13...may I ask what you did believe?  Like your denomination etc ?
R

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:12:28 AM »
I think that it's good if you are interested to learn about diff. belief systems to investigate them....  We used to do "Learning Threads" here w/diff belief systems ..usually a member was a "teacher" of sorts...some were really interesting.

Some JWs came to my door this past weekend...I really wanted to talk to them but by the time I got dressed they were gone!

Captain, you say you stopped believing in anything around 13...may I ask what you did believe?  Like your denomination etc ?

I was brought up Roman Catholic which is what my parents believe(d) to be honest I think they stopped believing in their 30's but just didn't make a big deal out of it, I remember going to church as a kid but then around 12,13 I just got tired of it and started asking too many questions, around this time they also seemingly stopped going...almost as if they had to do it to appease my European grandparents because they were still godfearing and old school.

Science for me has too many answered questions for anyone to refute, most of the religious arguments don't hold up in my opinion.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 08:21:56 AM »
I was brought up Roman Catholic which is what my parents believe(d) to be honest I think they stopped believing in their 30's but just didn't make a big deal out of it, I remember going to church as a kid but then around 12,13 I just got tired of it and started asking too many questions, around this time they also seemingly stopped going...almost as if they had to do it to appease my European grandparents because they were still godfearing and old school.

Science for me has too many answered questions for anyone to refute, most of the religious arguments don't hold up in my opinion.

I was pretty sure you were going to say Catholic.  

My w/o partner grew up Catholic and later became a Christian...same w/my old Pastor.  

I think maybe some Cath. churches teach the bible but seems like most of them that I'm aware of place RC tradition and/or whatever the Pope/Council of Trent say/said is right at whatever time.. above the bible and much of what they follow is the opposite of what the bible teaches.   I'm sure it was probably pretty confusing.

R

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 08:32:24 AM »
I was pretty sure you were going to say Catholic.  

My w/o partner grew up Catholic and later became a Christian...same w/my old Pastor.  

I think maybe some Cath. churches teach the bible but seems like most of them that I'm aware of place RC tradition and/or whatever the Pope/Council of Trent say/said is right at whatever time.. above the bible and much of what they follow is the opposite of what the bible teaches.   I'm sure it was probably pretty confusing.

Not necessarily confusing, I just found religion to be very dishonest (the complete opposite of what it's supposed to teach) and just had a ton of unanswered questions that everyone kept telling me 'faith' would answer.. so I chose the path of science and logic instead of 'faith' Christianity just seemed like it hid a lot.. so many senseless killings to keep firm a papal rule, the crusades, witch trials, war on science, people being burned alive, gallileo, copernicus, etc.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »
i believe that there is no truly right religion/faith.  I don't like religion and/or dogma.

theonlyone

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 10:40:49 AM »

Relax, God will force you to believe in him. Forget about all the religious books and youtube videos. I know sinners second to none who attend church but does it make them religious people? NO!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:42:05 AM »
GET GUNS

theonlyone

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
 Religions are meant to be a path to God.

theonlyone

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
 Faith is an aptitude of the spirit. It is, in fact, a talent: you must be born with it.

theonlyone

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
 Pic is 2005 y. n' doesn't do any justice. This is my town church. I will rip apart every an extra terrestrial civilization if they cause any evil to my family. In God I trust! Stella?

theonlyone

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »
 :-*

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 11:36:05 PM »
Pretty pictures, but in the end it's just a nice building... do you really need a special building to get in touch with your 'god' ??! shouldn't you be able to pray to him anywhere ?

theonlyone

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 04:53:08 AM »
Pretty pictures, but in the end it's just a nice building... do you really need a special building to get in touch with your 'god' ??! shouldn't you be able to pray to him anywhere ?

Being religious is not just a praying. There are nice buildings of different kind everywhere and you wanna say we shouldn't build religios building at all? Just office buildings?

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »

yuppers

theonlyone

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 09:08:55 AM »

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 01:55:22 PM »
Being religious is not just a praying. There are nice buildings of different kind everywhere and you wanna say we shouldn't build religios building at all? Just office buildings?

Did I say this? no, i'm indifferent, I don't care what you build or where

theonlyone

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »
Did I say this? no, i'm indifferent, I don't care what you build or where

Do scientific laboratories look so much spectacular as the Church above? May be they should demolish that Temple and build a scientific laboratory on that place instead? You're indifferent but loudly claim that there is no GOD. You're waiting for an extra terrestrial civilasations to appear and make contact with humanity but religious people don't give a flying, it's absolutely indifferent whether do they appear and if they finally do, it's just a God's providence and his will. yeah we learned a lot, put a man on moon but we can't get rid of kelloid! How about the one to grow on your forehead? It grows rapidly! Looks good? Science will not help, scientists do not know how to get rid of it.
 IF the man is an idiot nothing will help. "Заставь дурака богу молиться он и лоб расшибёт" Try a fool pray to god, he will break forehead" Is that a precise tramslation captain?

Good night

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »

Do scientific laboratories look so much spectacular as the Church above? May be they should demolish that Temple and build a scientific laboratory on that place instead? You're indifferent but loudly claim that there is no GOD. You're waiting for an extra terrestrial civilasations to appear and make contact with humanity but religious people don't give a flying, it's absolutely indifferent whether do they appear and if they finally do, it's just a God's providence and his will. yeah we learned a lot, put a man on moon but we can't get rid of kelloid! How about the one to grow on your forehead? It grows rapidly! Looks good? Science will not help, scientists do not know how to get rid of it.
 IF the man is an idiot nothing will help. "Заставь дурака богу молиться он и лоб расшибёт" Try a fool pray to god, he will break forehead" Is that a precise tramslation captain?

Good night

You need your head examined..your belief is a little fanatical.. maybe you should arm up and go kill some atheists so we can watch you get killed by police :)  maybe your god will save you then..

theonlyone

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 11:51:24 PM »
You need your head examined..your belief is a little fanatical.. maybe you should arm up and go kill some atheists so we can watch you get killed by police :)  maybe your god will save you then..
Why in every post of yours you repeat "Your god"? He's not mine, it's me his. I would not kill but rather would make you invalid for the rest of your life and police will not save you nor your aristocratic parents, don't mess with bad Russians.
 Now you can go and play