Author Topic: HIT - Will this work?  (Read 2561 times)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
HIT - Will this work?
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:17:06 PM »
What I've been doing lately, (still basically on the Wavelength/Adonis plan) is to sprint 165 feet, take about a 20 second break, run back 165 feet, take another 20 second break, and do that back and forth until I reach about 12 total sprints.  (Running as fast as I possibly can)

It seems to be helping me lean out, does that sound like it would be effective?

???
S

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
Re: HIT - Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »
HIT/Tabata is JNN apporved

kiss walking on a treadmill at a incline for 60 minutes goodbye

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »

there is a reason why "aerobic" not "anarobic" running is a consistent mainstay for cardiovascular fitness and weight-loss protocols

and are you really following the "principles" of some other dude that posts lunacy on getbig??

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
HIT/Tabata is JNN apporved

kiss walking on a treadmill at a incline for 60 minutes goodbye
::)
175lbs by 31st July

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
just go run....how hard is that?

bench

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »

there is a reason why "aerobic" not "anarobic" running is a consistent mainstay for cardiovascular fitness and weight-loss protocols

and are you really following the "principles" of some other dude that posts lunacy on getbig??

I'm in the best shape I've ever been because of that lunacy!!!  8)
S

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »

bench
i just stick to old school cardio as well.Like cavemen hunting a mammoth ;D. But whatever works.
A

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:54:49 PM »
i just stick to old school cardio as well.Like cavemen hunting a mammoth ;D. But whatever works.
seriously...how hard is that....people have been lossing fat since ALWAYS by running....

people always need a cardio gimmick to get off of their asses to actually do it...

bench

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »
seriously...how hard is that....people have been lossing fat since ALWAYS by running....

people always need a cardio gimmick to get off of their asses to actually do it...

bench

exactly

walter payton got in the shape he got from running up and down hills...NOT walking on a treadmill

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 04:00:09 PM »
when the weight slows to a halt while doing half ass cardio then running always works to ramp it up again.  Preferably outside instead of a treadmill.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 04:01:32 PM »
when the weight slows to a halt while doing half ass cardio then running always works to ramp it up again.  Preferably outside instead of a treadmill.
the treadmill is the most useless machine in the gym!!!!

bench

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
HIIT is possibly the best type of cardio you can do. And you're getting results, so just keep at it.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »
If EyeBall C can run 165ft (55yards), pause at 20 seconds and repeat the 165ft 12 times(at full speed) he is super human and one of the greatest athletes in the history of the modern world. And I suppose that's uphill all 12 times? I would even like to see EC speed walk through something like that.

The Tabata protocol has been used for years by top athletes. It taxes the VO2 max , giving the ability to burn fat, even in a resting state. That's 20 seconds full out, a 10 second pause and back to the 20 second max effort. Usually 6 to 8 cycles tops, are done at full speed. Doesn't have to be sprints/running Can be squats, DL's, cleans, rope skipping, jumping jacks, rowing machines, etc. The method was first developed to be used on speed or spin bike, for Olympic athletes. Long bouts of cardio will tend to have a muscle wasting influence on the body. The Tabata protocol, and other interval systems, does not. Very well suited, and can work well, for BB'ers and lifters. Good Luck.
F

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 04:45:35 PM »
If EyeBall C can run 165ft (55yards), pause at 20 seconds and repeat the 165ft 12 times(at full speed) he is super human and one of the greatest athletes in the history of the modern world. And I suppose that's uphill all 12 times? I would even like to see EC speed walk through something like that.

The Tabata protocol has been used for years by top athletes. It taxes the VO2 max , giving the ability to burn fat, even in a resting state. That's 20 seconds full out, a 10 second pause and back to the 20 second max effort. Usually 6 to 8 cycles tops, are done at full speed. Doesn't have to be sprints/running Can be squats, DL's, cleans, rope skipping, jumping jacks, rowing machines, etc. The method was first developed to be used on speed or spin bike, for Olympic athletes. Long bouts of cardio will tend to have a muscle wasting influence on the body. The Tabata protocol, and other interval systems, does not. Very well suited, and can work well, for BB'ers and lifters. Good Luck.

Son of a bitch this board is full of fags....

Yes, I can do that and compared to real "athletes" I'm in terrible shape... WTF
S

Purge_WTF

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 05:10:41 PM »
  I do Interval cardio in a 4:1 ratio--i.e., go balls-out for 15 seconds, and then go at a medium pace for 45 seconds. Is that alright?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »
I played D-1 ball for 4 years (PAC 10).  Have a working knowledge of football and what is required. Really interesting  learning all about your football history. I'm connected with football at present, year round.

That would be 55 Yards, with a 20 SECOND pause, than back to the 55 YARDS again. TWELVE TIMES (12). All done at FULL SPEED. All as I-balls said. I think ESPN has a video of him doing this. The top Olympic cyclist only does between 6 to 8 cycles max, with the 20 second pause. All 3 to 4 times weekly. With running sprints you carry your own body weight....55 YARDS with a 20 SECOND pause.

As you stated; If your last 40 varied as much as 4/10th of a second off the first...than big time grats to you and the linemen (which I was during college). You be the man...no doubt. I'm surprised that anyone dragging their butts were not placed in front of a firing squad. You didn't say how many set's of 40's you and the other elite players did...wondering. By the way, our track athletes (male & female) do these interval workouts. Even Volleyball players .Best of Luck.
F

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »

bench

Couldn't agree more !!

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
alot of good posts

i feel i should address this (and maybe i can get some support on this as well)

one may ask "well, if "HIIT" works so well then why don't pro bb'ers use it?"

many reasons
1) many pro bb'ers are idiots and don't know any better.  In other words, it's easier to walk on a slow incline for 60 minutes twice a day then it is to figure out how "tabatas" work
2)some pro's are too lazy and prefer to use diet and gear as their means of get lean

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
What I've been doing lately, (still basically on the Wavelength/Adonis plan) is to sprint 165 feet, take about a 20 second break, run back 165 feet, take another 20 second break, and do that back and forth until I reach about 12 total sprints.  (Running as fast as I possibly can)

It seems to be helping me lean out, does that sound like it would be effective?

???

I guess if you wanna be a cardio machine.

If you want to lean out, why not just eat less? I hear a calorie is calorie around here.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
I won't assume you're being sarcastic and just genuinely asking.

We didn't sprint 55 yards - just 40. And we didn't do 12 sprints - we did ten 40-yard sprints. And we didn't take 20 seconds rest between sprints - you got to take 30 seconds.

But that was about the only difference.

Re-reading Eyeball's post above, and how you read it, are you reading that he did essentially twenty-four 55 yard sprints? Because if he is doing that, then yes - he's superhuman.

Even twelve 55 yard suicides is tough. We trained all summer for that one drill so as not to embarass ourselves. I couldn't imagine doing it all out all the time. My knees would have shot a lot sooner than they did.

24 is ridiculous. Nobody does that. Unless they want to die. Or being chased by a grizzly.

I do 12 usually, I couldn't do 24. (I can hardly make 12)
S

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »
Interesting discussion here. SNX, there is quite a difference between 40 and 15 more yards in sprints.  Even 5 more yards added to the 40's would be is a killer, let along 15 yards (a little more than a football field or maybe half a practice field).. At camp, you will line up behind the next guy to start your 40 yards again when the whistle blows. More like 30- 40 seconds during practice, if a lot of players are involved. Though you try keeping the pace up.

And yes, I understand that I-ball means 12. Something I would like to see for myself. Probably would have to have a medical unit stand by if anyone attempted that. And as fast as he can? Going to talk to some of the coaches and jocks (a couple Pro) and wait for a good laugh from them. But who know, I may be wrong...film at eleven from I-ball?

Agree with J-no-name on points 1 & 2. A few Pro's around North County and SD. Most move like their under water. Always seem to be out of breath and sucking in air most of the time, even when not working out.
F

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 08:22:39 PM »
This is a good thread. First one in a longtime without any b.s....knock on wood.

I joined a local LA Boxing 6 weeks ago and got humbled really quick after thinking I was in good shape before coming in. At my weightlifting gym I used to do 30-45min of elliptical pretty quick pace...and at LA I could barley get through the first couple of sessions. I now remember the huge difference between lifting weights shape and true cardio shape.

Tonight we did a total body conditioning class. It was about 20 different stations you had to do twice...1 minute each. Push ups, sledge hammer, tire flips, kettle bells, lunges, the move where you get into a squat position and hold it, up downs, head stand pushups against a wall, rope work for your feet, long jumps ...etc. It's awesome...I'm getting back into the shape I used to be in high school wrestling.

I love the above sort of cardio because I FUCKKING HATE RUNNING and this is different each class so it doesn't get old. Even though I hate running I'm jealous of the people who run 4-6 miles at the gym. I read disturbia's  thread about that couch potato to runner thread and I'm thinking about doing it.

I've never done just HIT type cardio because I always felt like it was too short. I sort of have a hard time getting out of that mind set...even after reading lots of info about it online. I'm slowly realizing that it's working.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »
I figured as much. And when you say "run as fast as you can", you probably mean it. It doesn't mean that if you can sprint all out at 10 mph, that you're running 10 mph on all 12 sprints. Just that you're running as fast as you can, in that moment, given fatigue.

Which I think is do-able, and totally solid. It's hard work too, but way better than being a hamster on a wheel in a gym somewhere.

YES! Toward the end I'm probably only running between 1/3 and 1/2 as fast as I was when I started. 
S

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 11:10:49 PM »

many reasons
1) many pro bb'ers are idiots and don't know any better.  In other words, it's easier to walk on a slow incline for 60 minutes twice a day then it is to figure out how "tabatas" work
2)some pro's are too lazy and prefer to use diet and gear as their means of get lean
Lol, most pro's would gas out on the 2nd run. Cardio fitness is not in a pro bber's regimen.