Author Topic: just a quick shot of my calves  (Read 6496 times)

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
Re: just a quick shot of my calves
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 07:58:49 PM »
if you have such calves you usually have or weak hams or chest or arms, but rather have them calves than chest.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
People with genetically big calves also tend to have naturally big forearms too.
No doubt about it...

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »
yes but they tend to have small upperarms, except the pro's

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »
yes but they tend to have small upperarms, except the pro's
Yep on the money

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »
calves = 100% genetic

i see world class, diamond shaped and striated calves on middle-aged untrained white guys all the time.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 08:22:10 PM »
calves are interesting. Some people have huge calves but generally have fairly thick ankles too. I fall into the other category as i have relatively big calves, but my ankles are quite small. Kinda enhances the taper of them i guess.
No doubt about it...

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 11:19:01 PM »
calves = 100% genetic

i see world class, diamond shaped and striated calves on middle-aged untrained white guys all the time.

lol jesus. epic discouraging calf training quote.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 11:32:17 PM »
I always laugh at the "Calves are all genetic" line.

No shit....so are Pecs, Arms, Traps, Quads, Hams, Shoulders and Back

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
My calves, upper arms, and neck were all the same size
No Worries 4 me

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 11:39:35 PM »
I still remeber 2 years ago when I was getting my passport done when this big fat dude walks in with shorts and had the biggest fucking calfs EVER and the strange thing is they were also pretty ripped.

it's not strange at all, his calfs get more presure from his bodyweight constantly so his calfs will develop accordingly, so ofcourse they will be ripped and big at the same time.

muscles grows big and ripped when you do high reps with super heavy weight... only calves can get that kind of presure so for fat people it's easy to develop calfs.

genetics play one part but what I said is the other fact

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 08:13:50 AM »
My calves, upper arms, and neck were all the same size

That was actually how the ancient Greeks measured the "Ideal" man.

TO have 16" Neck, bi's and calves

DeketheCreep

• Getbig IV
  • then does a head stand and spread his ass apart!

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »
calves = 100% genetic

And I knew one guy who walked on his hands all the time and had huge shoulders. All genetics.  ::)

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2010, 08:39:54 AM »

Columbo told me that.  Mine were all 21"
No Worries 4 me

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2010, 09:12:06 AM »

Never really thought about it, but now that I measure my neck, calves and biceps are all equal size... That is crazy
You Can't Do It!!!

spinnis

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »

why would you laugh at that?

Compare to realitvly easy it is to grow what musclegroups you just mentioned to calfs...

There is a reason we see 300 pounds dudes with more testo then a small village combined running through their system yet the cant get their calfs to grow.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »
There is a reason we see 300 pounds dudes with more testo then a small village combined running through their system yet the cant get their calfs to grow.

It's because they don't train their calves. Yeah yeah, I know FLEX has training articles on the pros training calves all the time, but that's probably the one time that year the guy got under a standing calf raise machine.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »
And I knew one guy who walked on his hands all the time and had huge shoulders. All genetics.  ::)

yeah except the untrained people who have world class calves also have average quads and hams...

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »

wrong.
obviously genetics determine your ability to bet big muscles, but thats beside the point.
it is common to see people with calves that are better than alot of PRO BODYBUILDERs' calves, who do not even train at all.

when is the last time you saw someone who didnt train at all, walking around with pro-bber level pecs, arms, traps, quads, hams, shoulders or back?

thats right, never

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2010, 12:38:18 PM »
when is the last time you saw someone who didnt train at all, walking around with pro-bber level pecs, arms, traps, quads, hams, shoulders or back?

thats right, never

When was the last time you saw someone walking around on their hands to provide stimulus for their shoulders? Or squatting endlessly on a street corner? How about pushing objects away from them or just randomly bringing their hands together to provide enough progressive resistance for the pectorals to grow?

People are constantly walking, up stairs, in the sand, twisting and turning every direction etc...this helps provide stimulus that the calves will adapt to. Adaptation=growth/endurance.

The calves are no different than any other muscle. It's a farce that they are genetic, just like how you should train abs every day too.

body88

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »

How do you figure?

If you have high calves, they are never going to be big and ripped.

Pecs, Arms, quads and such, are less effected by genetics than calves are. If you have high calves, you're pretty much fucked.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2010, 01:18:51 PM »
When was the last time you saw someone walking around on their hands to provide stimulus for their shoulders? Or squatting endlessly on a street corner? How about pushing objects away from them or just randomly bringing their hands together to provide enough progressive resistance for the pectorals to grow?

People are constantly walking, up stairs, in the sand, twisting and turning every direction etc...this helps provide stimulus that the calves will adapt to. Adaptation=growth/endurance.

The calves are no different than any other muscle. It's a farce that they are genetic, just like how you should train abs every day too.

this whole 'their calves are big because they walk around' thing is bullshit....so why arent these same peoples' quads and hams pro bber huge then? they use those muscles 'walking around' just the same.

and how about people who walk/run all the time, and still have 13 inch calves?

or people who specifically train calves for years to bring them up and they are still 13 inches?

or how pro bbers can dedicate their lives to training and eating, pump tons of anabolics, manage to get huge everywhere else but still have the same skinny calves?

calves = 100% genetic.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »
this whole 'their calves are big because they walk around' thing is bullshit....so why arent these same peoples' quads and hams pro bber huge then? they use those muscles 'walking around' just the same.

Pick up a book on Kinesiology and maybe you will figure out why the quads and hams don't respond.

And to answer your question about why guys that train for years, are on a ton of anabolics and get bigger everywhere else, yet don't have big calves? Look around your gym at probably the most abused form on a piece of equipment...I bet you it would be the calf machines. Short, bouncy reps, too much weight, and no tension on the muscle, using the quads to help you move the weight...that would more likely be your answer than the lame cop out excuse you're currently using.

body88

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2010, 02:04:22 PM »
Pick up a book on Kinesiology and maybe you will figure out why the quads and hams don't respond.

And to answer your question about why guys that train for years, are on a ton of anabolics and get bigger everywhere else, yet don't have big calves? Look around your gym at probably the most abused form on a piece of equipment...I bet you it would be the calf machines. Short, bouncy reps, too much weight, and no tension on the muscle, using the quads to help you move the weight...that would more likely be your answer than the lame cop out excuse you're currently using.

I want to wish this was true. I can't get my calves to grow much.

I've tried everything. Less weight, strict form - etc.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2010, 02:13:23 PM »

im sure wolf, ronnie, dexter, 23842323847 other pro bbers with glaringly weak calves just just never thought to try working them out ::)

you are ignoring every point i made...so what about the millions of people who walk, jog, run, and do sports on a daily basis who have 13 inch stick calves?

what about all the people who DO train their calves HARD using every concievable technique and they still dont grow even one half of one inch?