Author Topic: PBW Presents: "REMEMBERING MIKE MENTZER" (Replay Now Available)  (Read 43182 times)

Andrew1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
PBW Announcement - Episode #191

Remembering Mike Mentzer...with Those Who Knew Him (Listen Now)

Hall of Fame Guest List: Boyer Coe, Danny Padilla & more (to be announced)

When he passed away, 9 months shy of his 50th birthday, the bodybuilding world lost a giant.  Mike Mentzer was far more than just a Mr. Olympia runner-up.  To many bodybuilders, Mentzer popularized the "High Intensity Training" (H.I.T) that helped define an era and usher in a new approach to competitive bodybuilding.  His battles on stage were legendary and comparisons to Schwarzenegger are still debated by those who feel a Sandow Trophy belonged in his trophy case. -- In response to countless requests, "Pro Bodybuilding Weekly" is proud to welcome a few of Mentzer's close friends for a special tribute to the former Mr. America and Olympia Heavyweight Champion.  The Hall of Fame guest list includes 7-time IFBB champion Boyer Coe, The Original Giant Killer Danny Padilla and more (to be announced). -- This special tribute edition of bodybuildig talk radio is Presented by MuscleTech -- LIVE on Monday, May 24th at 8pm ET.    

Replay Available at www.BodybuildingRadio.com
Replays Provided courtesy of Bodybuilding.com

Schedule Update: "The 2010 Pro Bodybuilding Weekly Championships" - Tampa, FL - July 16-17th
Featuring: IFBB Mens Open - IFBB Under 202 - IFBB Women - IFBB Pro Bikini (www.PBWProShow.com)

Presented by MuscleTech and brought to you by Bodybuilding.com and Flex Magazine.
Additional sponsors include Xenadrine, The Muscle Asylum Project, Six Star Muscle and BodySpace!
PBW: The Official radio show of Joe Weider's Olympia Weekend.
A proud sponsor of the NPC National Championships and the USA Championships

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
awesome. great man.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I'll say what everyone else here is thinking.  Mentzer was a better version of Arnold in 1980.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
cool will listen

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
This will be a good show. I knew Mike and spent some time talking to him when I was out in Venice in the 90's. All i have to say that he was a true warrior in life. I bet Boyer and Danny have some interesting stories. Definetly a show to listen to. Props for Dan and Bob for pulling this show together.
JM

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Mike was unique, and had some great competition he was a part of....I'll be curious to hear what the other champs have to say.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
wow, what timely material

couple years too late with this one

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Mike was unique, and had some great competition he was a part of....I'll be curious to hear what the other champs have to say.

I am really pumped about this show. I am one of the many that used his Heavy Duty Methods at a time when I was short on training time and $$ in college , many years ago. In my opinion, he proved that you don't have to live in the gym and be a bum to become a good BB.
Really sad how he ended up depressed and bitter in his later years. I suspect he may have had some serious bi-polar and/or clincal depression disorder.

I would LOVE to hear from those that really trained in the same gym and saw firsthand what he actually did for his workouts.

Any chance we can get some insight on THAT Bob?  Thanks. I'll be listening

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
wow, what timely material

couple years too late with this one

He died in 2001...sorry bro, PBW wasnt around quite yet

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
He died in 2001...sorry bro, PBW wasnt around quite yet
These morons must not know what tribute show and remembering the guy are all about...geesh ::)

Any chance we fans can get some inside info on guys that actually trained with him in the gym? Thanks

AVBG

I'll say what everyone else here is thinking.  Mentzer was a better version of Arnold in 1980.

what do you mean "a better version of Arnold"?

Arnold was Arnold, Mentzer was Mentzer.. do you mean Mike was more the ideal bodybuilder for the period?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I think every single bodybuilder must have tried mike's heavy duty HIT training at some point.  Always made complete sense on paper.

keanu

• Getbig IV
I am really pumped about this show. I am one of the many that used his Heavy Duty Methods at a time when I was short on training time and $$ in college , many years ago. In my opinion, he proved that you don't have to live in the gym and be a bum to become a good BB.
Really sad how he ended up depressed and bitter in his later years. I suspect he may have had some serious bi-polar and/or clincal depression disorder.

He came out of that in the early 90's, and laughed at the way he used to be. His darkest time was the later half of the 80's and first quarter of the 90's.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Hey Howard, Which version of Mentzer's Heavy Duty did you use? I know that he started with a 3 times a week 3-way split: Push/Pull/Legs. And then later he modified it down to once every 4 to 7 days or a 2-way split: Upper/Lower. And then to a consolidated routine which was only 2 or 3 compound exercises performed only once every 7 days or less.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
They should have me on this show. I knew Mike as well as Boyer and Danny.
and keep moving!

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Him and his brother basically killed themselves abusing amphetamines and other drugs. 

He died 9 years ago, but we need to honor him now.  Better late than never I guess.   ::)

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
Him and his brother basically killed themselves abusing amphetamines and other drugs. 

He died 9 years ago, but we need to honor him now.  Better late than never I guess.   ::)

How does the way in which he came to his ultimate demise bare upon his content of character? The guy was an honest, genuine human being.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
My favorite bodybuilder a very smart guy that wasnt afraid to go against the "establishment" I was fortunate to train with him in 2000. We sat outside and talked while he smoked a cigarette talking about his history in BB. He is sorely missed no doubt.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
If every bodybuilder approached the sport with the same level of study, intensity and dedication that mentzer did... the sport would be in a much more evolved place.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Mentzer helped get the ball rolling towards logical training. He did not invent anything new, but helped preach the "less is more" and "quality over quantity" training philosophies, and helped point out anything that couldn't be rationalized towards your training success.

However, he was way too stubborn with the one set, one rep scheme, and always to failure philosophy.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
If every bodybuilder approached the sport with the same level of study, intensity and dedication that mentzer did... the sport would be in a much more evolved place.
X2 240

Big Lee

• Getbig II
  • Roadhouse was a great movie.
Why doesnt this show up on itunes like all the other shows?

AVBG

This episode hasn't aired yet

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
 :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
that pic does rival most top guys of that era - Arnold included.