Author Topic: Pizza shop owners take state to federal court ‎ to allow child labor  (Read 2653 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
LOL I like to argue some silly silly stuff guys... but really, debating child labor laws is funny beyond belief!
\

Its not as easy as you think 240.  I worked as a kid for my dad doing all sorts of shit around the shop.  Should the govt have banned that?  And why should the laws be different for a small contracting company vs a huge corporation? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i did the same thing.  i was cleaning M16s when I was 10 years old hahaha.  my dad was a federal firearms dealer for a decade. 

Most kids do that.  But if your dad had 15 kids from your neighborhood sewing up wallets in your basement so he could sell them at the flea market, that woulnd't be right hahaha

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Thats silly.NO COMPANY is going to have people working who cant do the job.An 8 year old cant do the work on an oil rig.Adults get fired because they cant do the job.But he could be a buss boy or sweep the floors.Whats wrong with that?

And no I dont think people would make their kids work so they could stay home,or you would see a lot more kids mowing lawns,having paper routes and shoveling snow now.When child labor laws went into affect it was because kids HAD to work to help bring in income to the house.There was no such thing as welfare,food stamps etc.Today a kid working for minumum wage would hurt the families ability to collect from the government.

Actually Billy, many families did infact do just that. The notorious Coogan law came into effect because one such shild worked all the time, did not attend school, but instead earned millions of dollars, which his family promptly spent. By the time he reached adulthood, he had no education, no skills, and his family had squandered his millions.

As for child labour, you can liken it to illegal alien labour in that it lowers the wages for everyone all around.

The only thing that really stomped out child labour in the US was the great depression when work was so scarce, adults were willing to work for children's wages.

The only ones who really care about doing away with child labour laws are the big corporations that look to hire them. Why should NIKE go all the way to India to get a 7 yr old who'll sit in a factory making soccer balls all day, when you can get that at home?

240, When I was 14, my girlfriend & I tried to find jobs in Florida, but at most establishments we went to they wanted to see our work permits. Do you know if people are still required to get work permits in order to seek employment, or is this just something that's reserved for kids?
w

24KT

• Getbig V
i did the same thing.  i was cleaning M16s when I was 10 years old hahaha.  my dad was a federal firearms dealer for a decade. 

Most kids do that.  But if your dad had 15 kids from your neighborhood sewing up wallets in your basement so he could sell them at the flea market, that woulnd't be right hahaha

No wonder you seem so mature & responsible when it comes to guns, as opposed to some of the resident fools who try to come off as Rambo.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
No wonder you seem so mature & responsible when it comes to guns, as opposed to some of the resident fools who try to come off as Rambo.

haha i've taken my share of goofy gun pics :)

But yeah, it's just another tool in the box, albeit one that need a lot of care and respect.

Some getbig members would rather see civil war 2 so they can shoot it out and go out in a romantic blaze of glory.  I'd much rather avoid such messiness.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Bro - you always manage to make me laugh so hard sometimes.   ;D  ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
haha i've taken my share of goofy gun pics :)

Oh that's right. How could I forget? "Self control doesn't run in my blood". or something like that. lol

But yeah, it's just another tool in the box, albeit one that need a lot of care and respect.

Some getbig members would rather see civil war 2 so they can shoot it out and go out in a romantic blaze of glory.  I'd much rather avoid such messiness.

There's nothing romantic about being turned into a piece of Swiss cheese,
...and bloodstains are soooo difficult to remove.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Bro - you always manage to make me laugh so hard sometimes.   ;D  ;D

:)

You should have seen the shit I was shooting as a kid.  M16s were all over the place.  We actually had a basement shooting range, it was so cool.  Those were the days.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
:)

You should have seen the shit I was shooting as a kid.  M16s were all over the place.  We actually had a basement shooting range, it was so cool.  Those were the days.

That post with the wallets made me laugh to the point it hurt cause I know exactly what you mean with some of the dumb flee markets and who sells shit at those things. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Can't believe I'm actually siding with Doggity on this one - maybe the end is near!

There has to be a common sense view applied.  We obviously need child labor laws, but an owner's kids helping with sweeping, mopping, etc should not be a violation of the law.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
This was all over the news in CT for a bit. The kids put in a few hours a week, usually on the weekends. No 40-hour weeks or slave labor practices going on here, just some kids helping out with the family business, which they'll eventually take over.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Can't believe I'm actually siding with Doggity on this one - maybe the end is near!

There has to be a common sense view applied.  We obviously need child labor laws, but an owner's kids helping with sweeping, mopping, etc should not be a violation of the law.

The problem is that laws are not written that way. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
The problem is that laws are not written that way. 

That's a good point and if you start getting into exceptions, the list could go on forever, lol.  Not sure what the solution is.

24KT

• Getbig V

That's a good point and if you start getting into exceptions, the list could go on forever, lol.  Not sure what the solution is.

Just do what Chinese families in Toronto have been doing for years... make the kids work in the store,
...just don't pay em. HA! If you're not paying them, ...you're not hiring child labour. Seriously, where does one draw the line. I'm sure there are countless kids all across America who have to do all sorts of chores around the house like taking out the garbage, mowing the lawn, emptying the dishwasher etc., in exchange for a weekly allowance. Are they gonna arrest all of them too?

When I was a kid, the local franchised convenience store at the mall was owned by an Egyptian family, and their 2 daughters were the same age as myself and my sister. I can remember even at the age of 10 Yvette was working in the store, behind the cash register ringing up sales. No one ever had a problem with it.
w

24KT

• Getbig V

Agreed. And neither should kids trying to work to earn enough money to buy something they want like XBox
My girlfriend regularly hires our other friend's son to come over and clean the pool. Nothing wrong with that. My gardener brings his son 12 yr old over to cut my grass. He's been bringing him along for the past 3 yrs. They cut my grass in the summer and shovel my driveway and walkways in the winter except last winter when they went to Italy. It's good experience for kids. As a kid I remember working right alongside my Dad, and all the neighbourhood men, hammering away while we were building our basement rec room. I felt very special and very priviledged, ...especially since I was the only one getting paid for my labour. HA!
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Teaching kids a good work ethic and how things are done from a young age is a good thing. 

24KT

• Getbig V
Teaching kids a good work ethic and how things are done from a young age is a good thing. 

333 & I just agreed on something!  :D
w

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
Crazy stuff.

From the age of 12, my dad took me out on small plastering jobs he'd do. I mixed up the cement/plaster mix for the team, cleaned the tools, made the tea. Mixing the cement was a killer job but it gave me an appreciation for the hard work my dad did, not to mention the pride he took in the quality of his work.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

I'm assuming this is a reference to that post office thread- I don't know why you would be surprised that we agree on an issue; even though we are typically on different sides of the ideological fence, we've agreed on things in the past.  Even in that thread, I don't know why you insisted on trying to paint me as an idiot when it was clear that I knew what I was talking about and the points I brought up were valid. I tried to keep things civil because I didn't consider you a kneejerk reactionary like the majority of the board, but at the end of the day I really didn't give a fuck. I knew my position was right.

Laws are enforced at the governments discretion all the time.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
I'm assuming this is a reference to that post office thread- I don't know why you would be surprised that we agree on an issue; even though we are typically on different sides of the ideological fence, we've agreed on things in the past.  Even in that thread, I don't know why you insisted on trying to paint me as an idiot when it was clear that I knew what I was talking about and the points I brought up were valid. I tried to keep things civil because I didn't consider you a kneejerk reactionary like the majority of the board, but at the end of the day I really didn't give a fuck. I knew my position was right.

Oh brother, you sound like a 12 yr old.  I was kidding around because we have different ideological differences.  And you didn't know jackshit about the issue which is why kept making up facts.  Great argument you had, by the way.  "Well, my facts are wrong, but I'm right".  Whatever.  ::)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

Oh brother, you sound like a 12 yr old.  I was kidding around because we have different ideological differences.  And you didn't know jackshit about the issue which is why kept making up facts.  Great argument you had, by the way.  "Well, my facts are wrong, but I'm right".  Whatever.  ::)

I recognized the joke. I haven' t posted here too much recently and we've agreed on issues often enough that I also recognized what you were alluding to.

A few of my statistics were wrong but most of my facts were right and my overall argument was correct.

24KT

• Getbig V

Laws are enforced at the governments discretion all the time.

Ya mean like the federal immigration laws?  ;) {badum bing} I crack myself up.
w

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Agreed. And neither should kids trying to work to earn enough money to buy something they want like XBox
My girlfriend regularly hires our other friend's son to come over and clean the pool. Nothing wrong with that. My gardener brings his son 12 yr old over to cut my grass. He's been bringing him along for the past 3 yrs. They cut my grass in the summer and shovel my driveway and walkways in the winter except last winter when they went to Italy. It's good experience for kids. As a kid I remember working right alongside my Dad, and all the neighbourhood men, hammering away while we were building our basement rec room. I felt very special and very priviledged, ...especially since I was the only one getting paid for my labour. HA!

I agree 100%.It teaches character.If a 10 year old goes to a local grocery store and asks can he have a job.Whats wrong if the store says "ok,if your serious,come in on Sunday mornings at around 4 and you can bundle the Sunday newspapers".No company is going to hire kids today to do dangerous work,but a kid can sweep,pick shit up,clean,nothing wrong with that at all.Most kids will realise work sucks and want to go to college.