Author Topic: The Gardening Thread  (Read 4187 times)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
Re: The Gardening Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 08:20:47 PM »
I am going to plant broad beans, aka fava beans, because they are high in L-dopa which will lower prolactin and increase testosterone and will help my bodybuilding.  All advice welcome.

You may want throw some N-P-K.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »
i dont know shit about farming or growing plants, but I plan on having a farm of my own.

Me either but it's pretty cheap growing from seed so if I fuck up and things die it's no great loss.

just go to the store and buy some already grown ones

I'll continue to do so but some things aren't available in the store (kale), some stuff is rediculously overpriced (herbs, cherry tomatoes, chilis, endive), and some things from the store just don't taste as good because they're grown for commercial viability instead of flavor or they're much better eaten immediatly after picking (corn).

I don't grow anything, my dad was landscape contractor and taught me all about that stuff, from growing, to hardscapes, irrigation, lawn and plant installs, etc. He did that for before I was born until the time he died in 1986.

There's a lot to learn.  We grew a few things when I was a kid but no one was particularly knowledgeable about it.  I bet your dad would have come in shaking his head at all the stuff we did wrong!  :D

Just dont grow any tomatoes they suck, if so I will lose respect for you. ;D

They're only very small cherry tomatoes so hopefully just a very small amount of lost respect.  ;D  Besides, I'll probably fuck up and kill them somehow.

i'm growing aubergine, hot peppers, garlic, onions, parsley, greek oregano, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and basil. plus i like Lady Gaga's music alot 

Do you generally sow in situ or raise in seedling trays and transplant, BD?  Or does it just depend on the plant?

You may want throw some N-P-K.

Ya my soil is really sandy.  Unless I find a source for free or cheap compost, I'll have to hit 'em with it, especially when things start fruiting.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »
basil, parsley is sown in a tray and all the others i buy larger in sets from a grower. the growing season started about 2 months ago here.  the hot peppers are already forming and the aubergine will be ready in august. sweet potato...september/october.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 11:06:57 PM »
basil, parsley is sown in a tray and all the others i buy larger in sets from a grower. the growing season started about 2 months ago here.  the hot peppers are already forming and the aubergine will be ready in august. sweet potato...september/october.

I've still got a couple months of winter but I'm raising seedlings in the garage under lights.  Been trying to work out a schedule for succession & interplanting, what goes where when, companion plants, pest deterrent flowers, etc.  Pretty hard, never having done it before.  Do you schedule for year 'round growing or is it pointless in areas where you get a hard freeze?

OneManGang

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »
Is there anything gayer than a gardening thread?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
I've still got a couple months of winter but I'm raising seedlings in the garage under lights.  Been trying to work out a schedule for succession & interplanting, what goes where when, companion plants, pest deterrent flowers, etc.  Pretty hard, never having done it before.  Do you schedule for year 'round growing or is it pointless in areas where you get a hard freeze?

this is a hard freeze area for 2.5 months...little grows but horseradish which luckily i enjoy lots of.  seems like no time for seedlings these days.....the bigboy growers can do all that much more efficiently.  buy the finished plant and drop it in soil...works for me. i've grown grapes and all sorts of products.  

most time now is spent prepping food because i'm strictly vegan and i eat everything raw.  NOTHING IS COOKED.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2010, 11:36:06 PM »
it is bodybuilding related....the glittery thong and oil are currently set aside   lol  well not exactly...i consume alot of olive oil

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »

this is a hard freeze area for 2.5 months...little grows but horseradish which luckily i enjoy lots of.  seems like no time for seedlings these days.....the bigboy growers can do all that much more efficiently.  buy the finished plant and drop it in soil...works for me. i've grown grapes and all sorts of products. 

most time now is spent prepping food because i'm strictly vegan and i eat everything raw.  NOTHING IS COOKED.

Nurseries and hardware stores charge a lot here for seedlings and it's usually an unthinned rootbound mess, so I decided to go with seeds.  Also reasoned I could have my herbs year 'round with the lights.  I might still look into buying finished plants for really slow crops which I'd love to have, like some berries, artichokes, or asparagus.

Calling yourself a 'one man gang' springs to mind, you internet pugilist.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 12:17:57 AM »
just get fake plants...
No doubt about it...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 12:38:15 AM »
just get fake plants...

It may come to that.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010, 12:58:10 AM »
We've just started growing tomatoes and considering a few other things. Sick of buying fruit from the supermarket that is tasteless and goes from unripe to rotten overnight.

Question for you greenfingered types: my gf has a rat in her compost bin (no euphemism) and she will not let me kill it... are there any other ways to get rid of it which don't involve me getting within touching distance of it? It's huge and just eyeballs me when I lift the lid to throw waste in the compost bin before lazily wandering down its hole. We have cats, but when it comes to pest control they are about as much use as tits on a fish.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2010, 01:23:47 AM »
gayer than nasser nights

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2010, 02:45:08 AM »
Lol @ 'no euphemism.'

You could just throw a trap in there, either the humane kind or not.  Probably best to avoid poison if you'll be digging the compost into your veggie patch.  Or you could just let it live out its time there... and hope like hell it's a male and isn't raising a litter.  Or turn the heap regularly and hope it decides to hit the road.  Maybe look into sonic devices ($).  Or bide your time until the missus is out...

I fucked up with my tomatoes, I think.  I've got 18 24 (I didn't think they'd all come up) a week old because it didn't occur to me to succession plant them.  Dur.  Do cherry tomatoes yield for a long time or should I plant some more in a couple weeks?  I'll probably experiment a bit with these and grow some of them full Aussie sun, some semi-shade, and some upside down with maybe basil on top.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2010, 03:59:42 AM »
Nurseries and hardware stores charge a lot here for seedlings and it's usually an unthinned rootbound mess, so I decided to go with seeds.  Also reasoned I could have my herbs year 'round with the lights.  I might still look into buying finished plants for really slow crops which I'd love to have, like some berries, artichokes, or asparagus.

Calling yourself a 'one man gang' springs to mind, you internet pugilist.

get finished plants for berries and asparagus.  i've had those in other gardens and have grown weed under artificial lights.  basil, i'm growing a ton. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2010, 04:40:47 AM »
Lol @ 'no euphemism.'

You could just throw a trap in there, either the humane kind or not.  Probably best to avoid poison if you'll be digging the compost into your veggie patch.  Or you could just let it live out its time there... and hope like hell it's a male and isn't raising a litter.  Or turn the heap regularly and hope it decides to hit the road.  Maybe look into sonic devices ($).  Or bide your time until the missus is out...

I fucked up with my tomatoes, I think.  I've got 18 24 (I didn't think they'd all come up) a week old because it didn't occur to me to succession plant them.  Dur.  Do cherry tomatoes yield for a long time or should I plant some more in a couple weeks?  I'll probably experiment a bit with these and grow some of them full Aussie sun, some semi-shade, and some upside down with maybe basil on top.

Kill the tomatoes now before they take over your house.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2010, 05:34:25 AM »
Lol @ 'no euphemism.'

I may just wait 'till she out and twat it with a spade.

I'm the wrong person to ask about gardening, sorry. My jobs are strictly lifting, mowing and cutting down stuff.

Your pic of the toms hanging down made me lol. We have a few plants in pots that are doing well and one in an expensive upside down growing system she bought off the internet a couple weeks ago. This is what it looks like as of this morning:

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2010, 05:58:43 AM »

I'm the wrong person to ask about gardening, sorry. My jobs are strictly lifting, mowing and cutting down stuff.

Your pic of the toms hanging down made me lol. We have a few plants in pots that are doing well and one in an expensive upside down growing system she bought off the internet a couple weeks ago. This is what it looks like as of this morning:

i've seen those online...y'all paid too much   lol

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
  get finished plants for berries and asparagus.  i've had those in other gardens and have grown weed under artificial lights.  basil, i'm growing a ton. 

Ya, I'm not much into weed anymore, but I confess I did some googling on how to grow and harvest papaver somniferium.  Sounds like you need to grow heaps of plants tho so it's not really worth the legal risk.

Kill the tomatoes now before they take over your house.

I showed 'em the weed whacker.  They know who's in charge.

Haha, oh well.  My stepmom just sent me a link to the same product but I've already got a shitload of free buckets from work and a holesaw kit.  Not as pretty a container but that's all I'm going to spend unless it works well this year.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
700 SqFt of growing lights

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »

I'll continue to do so but some things aren't available in the store (kale),

Have you made kale "chips?" 
R

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
Have you made kale "chips?" 

No but I'm all for deep frying stuff that might otherwise be healthy.  8)  Do you just drop it in some hot fat?

Haven't had kale since I visited the States last year.  Can't find it in shops, can't even find any seeds except online.  The advice I got is that "Red Russian" is a good one. 

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »
I am going to plant broad beans, aka fava beans, because they are high in L-dopa which will lower prolactin and increase testosterone and will help my bodybuilding.  [b]All advice welcome[/b].

getbigger planting exotic crops to increase testosterone. :D typical

sounds promising.

l

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 12:58:09 AM »
No but I'm all for deep frying stuff that might otherwise be healthy.  8)  Do you just drop it in some hot fat?

Haven't had kale since I visited the States last year.  Can't find it in shops, can't even find any seeds except online.  The advice I got is that "Red Russian" is a good one.  
kale is very popular in portagee/macao/brazillian culture.  rich in b vitamins.  it's very inexpensive in markets and can be found next to the mustard and collard greens.  

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 01:03:57 AM »
kale is very popular in portagee culture.  rich in b vitamins.  it's very inexpensive in markets and can be found next to the mustard and collard greens.  
Falcon approved, he used to speak of kale green sandwiches.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2010, 02:11:24 AM »
Me either but it's pretty cheap growing from seed so if I fuck up and things die it's no great loss.

I'll continue to do so but some things aren't available in the store (kale), some stuff is rediculously overpriced (herbs, cherry tomatoes, chilis, endive), and some things from the store just don't taste as good because they're grown for commercial viability instead of flavor or they're much better eaten immediatly after picking (corn).

There's a lot to learn.  We grew a few things when I was a kid but no one was particularly knowledgeable about it.  I bet your dad would have come in shaking his head at all the stuff we did wrong!  :D

They're only very small cherry tomatoes so hopefully just a very small amount of lost respect.  ;D  Besides, I'll probably fuck up and kill them somehow.

Do you generally sow in situ or raise in seedling trays and transplant, BD?  Or does it just depend on the plant?

Ya my soil is really sandy.  Unless I find a source for free or cheap compost, I'll have to hit 'em with it, especially when things start fruiting.
My parents grew up on a farm, and my ucles still do it... And my dad had a garden with tomatoes, squash, greenbeans,  pumpkins, eggplants. I don't really know that much, but I remember my dad having how there picking tomatoes, green beans, and pumpkins...