Author Topic: OH NO..George Steinbrenger dies??  (Read 5317 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: OH NO..George Steinbrenger dies??
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »
You wanna tissue for all the crying you are doing in this thread :D

...what,do you root for Baltimore ???

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
Great Picture Nails, isn't the new stadium great..and ohhhhhhhhh those garlic fries there..yumm

its just awesome as soon as you walk into the stadium its like walking into a museum and you get that gust of fresh as soon as you walk, its so wide that there is no bumping into people, the jumbo tron is something to see too, Milwaukee brewers have an amazing stadium too

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »
You wanna tissue for all the crying you are doing in this thread :D

...what,do you root for Baltimore ???

Baseball bored me to tears after about the age of 12, but I'm always interested in the business side of sports.....now don't you have a washed up never-were "athletes" convention softball game to go to?   ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »
Baseball bored me to tears after about the age of 12, but I'm always interested in the business side of sports.....now don't you have a washed up never-were "athletes" convention softball game to go to?   ;D
*gets up on hind legs*    >:(   

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »
But why set up a structure where teams have that much of an advantage?  Like I said, the only people getting f'd are the fans of the teams who don't want to spend.  Which is odd, because you see that in MLB and the NBA, but not in the NFL.  Some of the teams who are tight with the purse strings, Pats and Steelers come to mind, will let players go and just keep on winning.  Not true in baseball, maybe because it's not as much of a "team" effort as football...

I just don't think the NFL model works in MLB.  The games are just too different.

They can't keep doing the player churn that you describe above - rookies don't tend to be on a level field when they start playing, like they can in the NFL.  Teams need to invest in them to get to a point where they're ready to compete.  Veterans are vital, and can't just be cast aside.  Plus, the union is too strong, and non-guaranteed contracts will most likely never happen.
Y

tallandfat

• Getbig II
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 10:09:20 AM »
Who gets the yankees?

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
This girl played Rounders right?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »
I think majority ownership stays in the family.
Y

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »
I just don't think the NFL model works in MLB.  The games are just too different.

They can't keep doing the player churn that you describe above - rookies don't tend to be on a level field when they start playing, like they can in the NFL.  Teams need to invest in them to get to a point where they're ready to compete.  Veterans are vital, and can't just be cast aside.  Plus, the union is too strong, and non-guaranteed contracts will most likely never happen.

I agree the games are vastly different, although I think the stability in the NFL is adequate, it's not like entire rosters are turned over year to year.  I worked in minor-league ball for awhile....and you are right it takes a lot of time for guys to develop.  Although I do think at times MLB is a little too slow bringing guys up.  Part of the publics problem with it, is that college baseball is nothing compared to college football and so many guys go straight to the minors from HS, that nobody knows who they are until the arrive in the bigs.  Just the way it is.

And chimps, did I strike a nerve?  ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2010, 10:45:13 AM »
All fair points, stoppa.

Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »
I agree the games are vastly different, although I think the stability in the NFL is adequate, it's not like entire rosters are turned over year to year.  I worked in minor-league ball for awhile....and you are right it takes a lot of time for guys to develop.  Although I do think at times MLB is a little too slow bringing guys up.  Part of the publics problem with it, is that college baseball is nothing compared to college football and so many guys go straight to the minors from HS, that nobody knows who they are until the arrive in the bigs.  Just the way it is.

And chimps, did I strike a nerve?  ;D
I was just being theatrical. I'm pretty beat up these days, so I resemble that remark.   ;D