Author Topic: Some of You Guys Are Movie Making Material.  (Read 6675 times)

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
Re: Some of You Guys Are Movie Making Material.
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2011, 07:25:02 AM »

I do agree that it's a tough nut to  crack with a lot of hardships and questionable participants involved, but I've seen many friends become ultra successful on the movie screen and behind it due to their associates, hard work and dedication (one of whom is currently working on a well known $150,000,000++ production with two other major openings this summer.

everyone is working on a 150 million+ project, it just never happens to 99.9% of people, I mean how many investor meetings are there a night in LA? Like a a billion?

I have no problem with people chasing any dream they want, but I do have a problem when the dream is comes from from heavy drug usage and laziness because at that point the judgement is all messed up, hence almost everyone there is dead broke.

Let me ask you, is there another place on the planet where almost every person name drops at least once a day?

I mean you might be so sunk into that life you do not realize whats wrong with that whole situation, and how can one realize if everyone you hang with dreams about the same shit.

You seem very smart and motivated in your posts, but I think here is what I always wonder.

Say I go to a guy and say hey I want to open a business, say a car wash, and id like for him to invest. And he asks me ok sure, what are the costs and projection of income.

I reply, with its 2 million to open, and based on the amount of cars and how much others do in area and how the location has X amount of traffic blah blah and can come up with reasonable projection.

With movies the investors are in many cases ego people who want some part of the movie biz. I met this guy once in a club called Villa in Beverly Hills, tiny club, he was talking about how he gets investors for films,, he says when he use to raise money for regular businesses hed never want the potential investors wife at the meeting. In the movie industry he always demand please bring your wife as she would be able to relate more to the film. So im sitting there and im like why would you do that? Hes like because all he needs to say is, the film has a great potential of winning an oscar based on "blah blah blah", as an investor youd get 2 tickets for sure, and hope you have a nice outfit for a show like that.

What surprised me even more is that hes like even if a film gets an oscar the chances of investors getting tickets to that specific even is almost ziltch.

Bottom line is, Ive heard so much about what goes on, as someone who is not involved and openly make fun of people having unrealistic expectations many open up and tell me their stories, I do not find it funny I find it sad, what a waste of life, most are great people just caught up in the dream.

I will be in LA end of this week, I look forward hearing more bullshit stories. The funny thing is I do not have to wait to land in LA for the stories to start, if the person sitting next to me on the plane is from LA, there is a good chance that by the time I land I would of heard a ton of their sad dreams about their Hollywood chase.

And even if the person sitting next to me isnt from LA, at least 15 people will be holding their cellphones as they are boarding the plane and will be yapping about some script or some celeb name and how they where in love with some idea and some film shoot location and all that bullshit.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 07:38:01 AM »
good post.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 07:52:42 AM »
I wish a whole lot of people on this forum got together to make a snuff movie

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 07:56:19 AM »
I wish a whole lot of people on this forum got together to make a snuff movie

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Any suggestions for the cast? I would say a tall german could suck a muscle and maybe slacker a fat panda, or an obtuse waiter.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2011, 08:53:31 AM »
NY, Thanks for your latest response which appears to have been written with a lot of emotion and concern, but I find it somewhat difficult to respond because it's almost like each of us writing two very different reviews of the very same movie. You see it one way and I see it another.

I am dead positive that your opinion is pretty damn accurate when it comes to the vast majority of individuals in search of a "movie star" career, but even you have got to admit that SoCal is packed with very successful people who work within the movie industry.

You don't have to be a star to be a major success in LA-LA Land.

The vast majority of people I have met in the LA area have jobs that are directly related to the movie, TV, or music industry. They may not be the stars of major motion pictures but they are making a damn good living in the entertainment business which still profits through adverse periods. (A couple of my family members have worked continuously these past five years.)

It seems that you MIGHT be referring to dreamers who arrive in Hollywood expecting to get a role in a production at one of the major studios without the required credentials. And YES, this a common ocurrance which leads to failure and disappointment and many sad stories to take back home.

But for others Hollywood and the entertainment industry is a dream come ... providing one is qualified to fit a needed role.

So who are these successful and qualified individuals who tell of personal experinces in direct opposition to your own?

The evident ones are the the stars, the studio heads and retinue of "Yes Men". the directors. producers, script writers, editors, etc., etc.

But you just have to watch the final credits roll by to see the many hundreds of paid personnel involved within the movie making process.

I know a company in the valley that exists merely to  rig various scenes on various sets, and warehouses in Studio City that do great business designing hundreds of clothes and props for most of the movies you've seen in the past couple of decades.

And then you got the stunt guys and gals (God bless 'em), and the motion capture crew, and the geeks and their computers who creat on-screen wonders, etc.

And a good number of these guys and gals finish one picture and then hop over to the next.

And those jobs pay damn well if one has the required credentials or the "look" that is required for an upcoming production.

I hope I've made it somewhat clear that Hollywood and its 'denizens' are not actually as dismal as you portray even though your attitude is often justified when someone's dream fades away.

But there are 1.000's more whose dreams come true every day.

Thanks for discussion, NY. Can you tell me what your job was in LA or if it revolved around the entertainment business?

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2011, 09:56:28 AM »
appropriate use of the decimal point... although maybe i'd put it before the 1 even.

NY, Thanks for your latest response which appears to have been written with a lot of emotion and concern, but I find it somewhat difficult to respond because it's almost like each of us writing two very different reviews of the very same movie. You see it one way and I see it another.

I am dead positive that your opinion is pretty damn accurate when it comes to the vast majority of individuals in search of a "movie star" career, but even you have got to admit that SoCal is packed with very successful people who work within the movie industry.

The vast majority of people I have met in the LA area have jobs that are directly related to the movie, TV, or music industry. They may not be the stars of major motion pictures but they are making a damn good living in the entertainment business which still profits through adverse periods. (A couple of my family members have worked continuously these past five years.)

It seems that you MIGHT be referring to dreamers who arrive in Hollywood expecting to get a role in a production at one of the major studios without the required credentials. And YES, this a common ocurrance which leads to failure and disappointment and many sad stories to take back home.

But for others Hollywood and the entertainment industry is a dream come ... providing one is qualified to fit a needed role.

So who are these successful and qualified individuals who tell of personal experinces in direct opposition to your own?

The evident ones are the the stars, the studio heads and retinue of "Yes Men". the directors. producers, script writers, editors, etc., etc.

But you just have to watch the final credits roll by to see the many hundreds of paid personnel involved within the movie making process.

I know a company in the valley that exists merely to  rig various scenes on various sets, and warehouses in Studio City that do great business designing hundreds of clothes and props for most of the movies you've seen in the past couple of decades.

And then you got the stunt guys and gals (God bless 'em), and the motion capture crew, and the geeks and their computers who creat on-screen wonders, etc.

And a good number of these guys and gals finish one picture and then hop over to the next.

And those jobs pay damn well if one has the required credentials or the "look" that is required for an upcoming production.

I hope I've made it somewhat clear that Hollywood and its 'denizens' are not actually as dismal as you portray even though your attitude is often justified when someone's dream fades away.

Thanks for discussion, NY. Can you tell me what your job was in LA or if it revolved around the entertainment business?

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2011, 10:00:11 AM »

well yes I know guys who work in post houses that do well, guys who do gear (no juice lol) rentals, guys etc.

The credit roll is mostly people who made no money and their reward was credit or 50-100 bucks or whatever. If everyone in the credit rolls would make a sane living cali wouldnt be in such deep financial shit and the people there wont have to go to real estate open houses to get their free cookies and milk.

1000's whos dream come true everyday? I mean listen to what you just said, 350,000 people a year have their dreams come thre in hollywood? I dont think 350,000 people thru out all industries thruout the entire US have their dreams come true.

1000's of people made have their dreams destroyed daily as they realized they chased bullshit and they have a few choices, become waiters, hookers, and a whole host of other trash or some run back to their family and start trying to make a new life out of mom basement.

Look in backstage casting, go to the audition sites, and see what they have for people and their dreams, talk to the real good talent who already have agents and see if they can make ends meet even for a month off what they make.

Yes you are right, a good quality editor, a good animator a good flash/web guy, guys who own studios especially those with good open space green screen and mocap stuff, has better chance of making money in that industry then the avg wanna be actor / actress.

I met this girl in 06 (maybe 05 or 07) in a club called Mood (in west hollywood) good looking 23 year old, she moved to LA from texas 6 months earlier to become an actress, she went to many auditions weekly, most she said where no pay some meal + credits etc some pay, she was working on getting her SAG card etc so she can apply to more places that have pay. Anyway she went to acting school, told me she had a reel made I mean the whole thing. We exchanged numbers and I been in touch with her here and there, its now mid 2011 shes works as a hostess in a lounge (mind you she had 50 jobs between then and now) she has over 20 credits that can be seen in IMDB, but she did even more work than that, she said her friends in texas think shes a millionaire not realizing all work combined got her about $6000! And shes already a hard worker, great looking, funny and all.

I mean 1000 of people there have the same story, after all how many new a list actors did hollywood produce in the past few years, compared to how many dreamed of it? 1 out of a million?

Look im basing things on fact, how they really are, you wanna talk optimistic and all, id rather stick to reality.

I will agree a good looking guy or girl, thats balls to the wall dedicated and put online a ton of clips of them etc and goes to non stop auditions will get work, problem is the work wont be any serious money.

So if you dream is to have parts in flicks, you can do it, but if its to make money doing it, well you might as well play lotto.

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2011, 10:03:48 AM »
Strip the tinsel off Hollywood and you'll find the real tinsel underneath.

That said, I know a few people that moved there and of those two are recognizable but in different ways.  One has made it very big and the other enjoyed moderate success.  Now then, time to drop a few  "names":

Bob.  Carol.  Ted.  Alice.  ;)

Anyone impressed?  I thought not.  Later days, folks. 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »
REEVES, I'm impressed but I wanna drop some names too....

Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice .....  (DItto, ditto, ditto, ditto)

I was on the set of Doctor's Wives as a personal guest of the studio OWNER (honest - the same studio that TOm Cruise supposedly owns today) ad I think Bob or Carol or Ted or Alice (possibly each of them) were in that movie all in bed together. (Too lazy to see if I'm right or not!).

I recall this studio story explicitly because once we entered the set with the studio owner .... the camerra stopped rolling and everything came to a standstill and everyone stood up to greet 'US'.

Even Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice hopped out of bed to come and shake our hands.

But the real reason we were there was so that the studio boss could tell everyone present their competitor had 'won' the rights to Mario Puzo's - THE GODFATHER. Ad we were among the first in all of Hollywood to know.

I won't mention the studio owner's name cause he may not like it and won't invite me back ever again to show me stuff that he paid millions of dollars for but was never used in the movie.

On another occasion I held xxxxxx's Academy Award (the OSCAR) so that it's recipient could not use it as a 'murder' weapon. While that business was being conducted I held that heavy statue in my hands and gave my acceptance speach. THE TRUTH.

That's called Name Drop'en without naming names.

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2011, 10:35:49 AM »
REEVES, I'm impressed but I wanna drop some names too....

Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice .....  (DItto, ditto, ditto, ditto)

I was on the set of Doctor's Wives as a personal guest of the studio OWNER (honest - the same studio that TOm Cruise supposedly owns today) ad I think Bob or Carol or Ted or Alice (possibly each of them) were in that movie all in bed together. (Too lazy to see if I'm right or not!).

I recall this studio explicitly because once we entered the set with the studio owner .... the camerra stopped rolling and everything came to a standstill and everyone stood up to greet 'US'.

Even Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice hopped out of bed to come and shake our hands.

But the real reason we were there was so that the studio boss could tell everyone present their competitor had 'won' the rights to Mario Puzo's - THE GODFATHER. Ad we were among the first in all of Hollywood to know.

I won't mention the studio owner's name cause he may not like it and won't invite me back ever again to show me stuff that he paid millions of dollars for but was never used in the movie.

On another occasion I held xxxxxx's Academy Award (the OSCAR) so that it's recipient could not use it as a 'murder' weapon. While that business was being conducted I held that heavy statue in my hands and gave my acceptance speach. THE TRUTH.

I won't mention the studio owner's name cause he may not like it and won't invite me back ever again.

That's called Name Drop'en without naming names.

no thats called named dropping to a group of people here who would call you out in five seconds as id make sure to get a hold of whoever's name you dropped. If you where talking to a bunch of chics or other high on weed hollywood disasters youd drop names and theyd out do you with a bigger name etc.

again, there is always that story of some guy who filmed a 10000 film and made million, but for every one of those guys the web is loaded with hundreds of thousands who will never be anywhere,

so should a person not try? nah try away, but be realistic and understand that you need to ask strangers not in LA what they think, not your friends.

To many times guys walk around with a movie idea and they have selective hearing, they only hear when someone says its great.

Or people who think they can act etc, some people dont go to acting school lol, one girl tells me "she dont have to, her mom told her shes a natural actress".

I dont work in that industry directly but rather indirectly, big fucking joke

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2011, 11:06:52 AM »
NY, sorry but I did not mean 1,000's each and every day. I actually meant that thousands work each day within the industry. But I do agree with you that many more thousands DON'T.

And I definitely cannot refute your personal experiences, but mine have been much different when it comes to family involvement in MAJOR motion pictures and the contacts made as a result of working with the cream of Hollywoods crop.
---------------------
Here's a pretty neat story that is somewhat similar to your own acting school story  ... but with a much more different outcome ......

My best Marine Corps bud was Jack Tyree who went to Hollywood after his tour of duty and set himself up as a Scuba Diving Instructor at one of the YMCA's near Studio City (Universal Studios).

He was not a movie or TV buff so he didn't realize that he was teaching some of the cast and crew from a major TV show shot on the Universal lot called  THE VIRGINIAN.

Jim Drury offered Jack a job that would take him out of the YMCA and into TV and eventually the movies. The intent was to set up scuba classes for all movie productions that intended to shoot underwater footage ... and that job led to Jack's first marriage with a stunt lady and his own involvement in the stunt business with live action shows in the new Universal Studios Park up thar on that yonder hill up thar.

And that in turn was the beginning of one of Hollywood's major stuntmen's associations.

And a stuntmen's wild assed bar in the valley further into the sunset (west).

So Jack found himself in one of Hollywood's acting classes doing scenes with a young Goldie Hawn and promising each other that they'd help each other if one or the other made it big in the movie business.

SO Goldie made it bigtime and Jack could be seen in all her movies.

And Jack was a friendly and likeable big guy and did favors for well connected Hollywood people and shook more hands than he could count with no idea who the hell he was meeting. but those hand shakers turned out to be studio bigwigs and top stars and so he got personal invites to be in their next planned feature films.

Anthony Quinn was a friend so Jack was in his movies and James Garner was a friend and most of the major western TV stars called upon Jack when they didn't want to do a particular scene.

Jack at 6'4" even doubled for the much shorter GET SMART (Don Adams) guy because he didn't want to jump off that Universal backlot bridge into dirty water. Jack did the scene within 20 minutes and got a sizeable check with many other residuals shortly after.

So contacts made in some acting classes can pay off eventually. Jack was a big, likeable guy ... so that was a major advantage.

NY, Hollywood is not nor has ever been my long term residence, so I have not experienced it like you have .

And I have been fortunate due to the fact that various family members have done exceptionally well in the movie business starting with some Hollywood opera singer way back in the 1920 whom I know nothing about through Gil Donaldson who had a good role in DALLAS wtih Gary Cooper(?) and Ruth Roman, and my own but long forgotten in-the-crowd scenes with Sinatra and Kim Novak, and numerous invites to work with Jack in just about every film he ever made (he and his stunt buds made morotcycle and sea creature movies on weekends with "borrowed equipment" from the studios on the weekends and then released them to Asian markets and US drive ins - I played the part of the Dead Guy), up to the present day when my  nephew has worked on most of the major blockbusters over the past 6 years or more.

So, I have experienced a different side of the Hollywood equation than you have which is good for me but I wish that you would have experienced the  same. Then I would have asked for an autographed  8 X 10 without hearing a response of, "Twenty bucks!"

It does appear that you have given it a try though.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
NAME DROPP'N!

Back when Keith was actively posting on this board and dropp'n names, I used to politely argue with him about me knowing twice the number of people he ever met and we'd always get a big laugh out of all you GetBiggers who would complain about Keith and the names he named.

But the fact is  ..... he actually did know them all and worked with may others and he would seldom say anything adverse about any of them so we thought it was kind of funny that you guys and gals took so much offense over so many true and sometimes interesting stories.

Almost a thousand years ago, my dad threw me out of the house with the command, "Go out and meet everyone you can! ... And don't come back!"

So I crashed a San Francisco 49's annual luncheon a couple of miles away (disguised as a waiter) and met everyone in the place and even stold the 49'er banner that was stretched across the speaker's podium.

The next day I headed south into Hollywood, met top stars who were not working, crashed the studios and met many more who were.

Since then I'm been shaking hands all over the planet.

Keith never even came close!

Sorry, Keith. RIP

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
well there are a ton of amazing stories, put in any actors name in wikipedia and you will see amazing stories on how they got to be, If wikipedia would have a file on everyone who failed their database would crash

im all for supporting people and their business dreams, but when they say acting etc i must doubt their sanity

i will admit thou, a guy that just wants to get laid all day, LA is the place

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »
One last comment before we quit this topic, NY.

Another good friend of mine was a fitness model who had a side job training Hollywood personalities to get ready for their next big role.

As a result of those contacts he was invited to a big dinner at the home of a major studio OWNER (not the same owner as mentioned earlier) who was responsible for the success of more than a couple of top actors in today's motion pictures.

During the diner one of the guests mentioned that this fitness model would look great on the silver screen in such and such a forthcoming production.

SO the next day he was asked to come to the owner's office where he received an offer from the owner to undergo special studio treatment with the aim of making him a top star ... something legit and somewhat similar to the olden day contracts at MGM.

But one immediate requirement was .... "You will have to lose 20 pounds to look good on screen!"

With that the conversation came to an end with a polite, "Thank-you!" and a hearty handshake and a swift exit back to reality.

He was once a skinny kid who trained hard and added good muscle and size and flatly refused to give it up under any circumstance.

Besides that, the only real thing he wanted in this lifetime was to be with his wife as much as possible and get hired as a body guard by a top contending rapper.

Strange story ... but true!

FADE TO BLACK

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »
yawn

more fake shit than ripitup

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »
see you seem to think that im saying nobody has any luck in hollywood, I can give you stories too, but in life its all about determining what are the chances.

In other words, there are people who are day traders from home and make a living, but in most cases people lose, there are people who go to vegas and win big but in most cases they lose.

So the people who live life thinking they can beat the system in most cases get beaten by the system.

So my advice to people is to go after things that are more likely than things that are least likely.

Stavios

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2011, 07:44:39 PM »
Stavios could make a script about his love for bodybuilding and how he died for you bitches at 25 years of age

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2011, 08:33:22 PM »
Stavios could make a script about his love for bodybuilding and how he died for you bitches at 25 years of age

tragic.

Who do you want to play you, would this Ryan Reynolds guy be a good choice? We could put him on your exact stack and see what happens.  ;D ;D

Stavios

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2011, 04:37:14 AM »
tragic.

Who do you want to play you, would this Ryan Reynolds guy be a good choice? We could put him on your exact stack and see what happens.  ;D ;D

I would like Denzel Washington to play me for sure  8)

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2011, 04:40:21 AM »
I would like Denzel Washington to play me for sure  8)

;D ;D ;D ;D

As long as it's not Justin Bieber....

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2011, 04:51:11 AM »
As long as it's not Justin Bieber....

Yep, cause we need him (and his arms) to play Method101

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2011, 05:07:31 AM »

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 05:34:42 AM »
yawn

more fake shit than ripitup

Rip is obviously in your head, Sebastian.  :-\