Author Topic: Bobby "The Brain" Updates:  (Read 16931 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Re: Bobby "The Brain" Updates:
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »
very sad for people to die this way
DAWG

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2010, 05:31:06 AM »
I'm not sure which report is accurate, although I know for a fact that Heenan is good friends with the Poffo's, so unless Lanny is off his rocker...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2010, 11:00:20 AM »
Okay, according to reports, Lanny Poffo based his interview comments on second-hand information that he received from "a friend."

Mike Aldren of The Wrestling Globe Newsletter recently posted:
"Spoke to Cindy, Bobby is fine doing well at home. He broke his hip recently but is in otherwise decent shape. Was never in a coma."

That, along with Dave Herro's Twitter post, makes two [allegedly] first-hand accounts that Bobby isn't/never was in a coma.
Still waiting to hear a confirmation either way.
It's both a wonder and a shame how some rumors get started; especially about a good & decent man like Heenan.

I mean, I can easily see someone spreading this type of rumor about Ultimate Warrior, but...

Let's hope for the best for "The Brain!"

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2010, 05:01:51 AM »
Okay, according to reports, Lanny Poffo based his interview comments on second-hand information that he received from "a friend."

Mike Aldren of The Wrestling Globe Newsletter recently posted:
"Spoke to Cindy, Bobby is fine doing well at home. He broke his hip recently but is in otherwise decent shape. Was never in a coma."

That, along with Dave Herro's Twitter post, makes two [allegedly] first-hand accounts that Bobby isn't/never was in a coma.
Still waiting to hear a confirmation either way.
It's both a wonder and a shame how some rumors get started; especially about a good & decent man like Heenan.

I mean, I can easily see someone spreading this type of rumor about Ultimate Warrior, but...

Let's hope for the best for "The Brain!"

I heard from "my source" that Heenan is in rough shape. His face is litterally disfigured as a result of the tumours and operations to remove them. I doubt he'll be in front of the camaras again. God bless Bobby.  :'(

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2010, 03:11:08 AM »
Jim Ross recently posted the following on his blog:

I talked to a friend recently who spoke with Bobby Heenan last week and 'The Wease' is at home, he was home for Thanksgiving, after getting out of the hospital where he was rehabbing his 2nd broken hip. Bobby was in good spirits which is a testament to his character considering all the challenges that he has faced. I hope to see Bobby on one of my next trips to Tampa when I visit FCW."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2010, 04:51:47 AM »
Jim Ross recently posted the following on his blog:

I talked to a friend recently who spoke with Bobby Heenan last week and 'The Wease' is at home, he was home for Thanksgiving, after getting out of the hospital where he was rehabbing his 2nd broken hip. Bobby was in good spirits which is a testament to his character considering all the challenges that he has faced. I hope to see Bobby on one of my next trips to Tampa when I visit FCW."
At least he is in good spirits. I feel for him.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »
Very good news

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »
Very good news

Man, you just made my day!!

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »
He might have been good in the business, but he was/is a first class jerk.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2011, 04:40:46 AM »
That was GOLD, Mont.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2011, 06:06:47 AM »
That was GOLD, Mont.

Thanks.
I bought that video years ago on VHS.
IMO, it is the most insightful and entertaining shoot I own or have seen/heard.

I’m pretty sure there’s more to it, but I haven’t watched it in a while, and I’m pissed because I haven’t been able to find it since moving - I know I still have it somewhere; I never throw anything away…LOL!!

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
Thanks a ton, Mont! Took me two days to get through it, but loved it.  I read Heenan's book, but it's not the same as having him tell the stories. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2011, 11:04:42 AM »
Thanks a ton, Mont! Took me two days to get through it, but loved it.  I read Heenan's book, but it's not the same as having him tell the stories. 

Glad you liked it.
Heenan has a gift for timing and delivery that cannot translate into print.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
Half-way thru those vids.  Great post Monty.  the 4:30 mark of #2 is 100% spot on.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »
Half-way thru those vids.  Great post Monty.  the 4:30 mark of #2 is 100% spot on.

Just one of many reasons I have no regrets over passing up any type of career I would or may have had.

It'll never be like it was.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2011, 03:30:14 AM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2011, 04:45:16 AM »
There's even more in his autobiography, and I strongly recommend obtaining a copy if possible.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:14 AM »
There's even more in his autobiography, and I strongly recommend obtaining a copy if possible.
Absolutely. The autobiography is the best part of the dvd / book. Its interesting to see how these guys first started out, the politicing backstage, the training, etc.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2011, 05:56:27 AM »
What I liked about the book is that it offers the chance for the author (Bobby) to provide more detailed/thought out/complete accounts of the events.
As well, there are some bits of business that were not included in the shoot video, and vice versa.
His delivery is golden, too.

Piper did a shoot with Highspots around the time his book came out.
I suspect that Higspots realized how close the interview was to the book and stressed several times in the write-up that the interview contains material not in the book and that historians & fans will want to add both to their collection.

I got through roughly half of the DVD set and estimate that about 4-7% was different from the book.
Also, I'm a Piper fan, but the interview just wasn't overly interesting to me.
Part of it may be that Hot Rod jumps in and out of character - almost even telling parts of the story in kayfabe (he does that even more in his book).
That really contradicts the whole idea of a "shoot" interview.

Can you imagine if George Steel did his shoot in character?
At least you'd still understand more of what he says than Steiner.
 ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »
I was going to start bargain-hunting for The Brain's newest DVD until I read a whole string of almost entirely negative reviews on various websites.

Has anyone here picked it up?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2011, 05:14:19 AM »
I was going to start bargain-hunting for The Brain's newest DVD until I read a whole string of almost entirely negative reviews on various websites.

Has anyone here picked it up?
Not yet but knowing me I probably will just because its Heenan.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
I picked it up- nothing groundbreaking, and little to no interview footage with Bobby in the body of the documentary, which was sad.  There were a bunch of clips of him in the extras, telling short stories or in bits from Prime Time, but FAR too little, especially in the promos he cut as a manager.  Most of it was him commentating rather than managing.

The one exception, which was worth the cost of the disc IMO, was Heenan's Hall of Fame induction.  So funny, so heart-felt, and the first time a wrestling dvd made me cry when he finished his speech with a tribute to Monsoon. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »
I picked it up- nothing groundbreaking, and little to no interview footage with Bobby in the body of the documentary, which was sad.  There were a bunch of clips of him in the extras, telling short stories or in bits from Prime Time, but FAR too little, especially in the promos he cut as a manager.  Most of it was him commentating rather than managing.

The one exception, which was worth the cost of the disc IMO, was Heenan's Hall of Fame induction.  So funny, so heart-felt, and the first time a wrestling dvd made me cry when he finished his speech with a tribute to Monsoon.
I remember this too. He and Gino Marella (Gorilla Monsoon) were very close friends.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2011, 02:31:33 PM »

He had to practically beg production to let him do that sendoff.