Author Topic: DAMN! Agriculture Comm. admits not helping white farmer due to his race.  (Read 6428 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Anyone who ever goes to a govt office to do anything, on any level, knows this goes on every day, in every office, etc. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Sherrod: Obama Fired Me (Says White House Scared of Fox News and Tea Party)
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 | Kristinn

Former Department of Agriculture official Shirley Sherrod says she was forced to resign last night under orders from the White House over racist comments she made at an NAACP dinner in March that were revealed by Big Government yesterday morning.

The Associated Press reported Sherrod's claim this morning:

Shirley Sherrod says she was forced to step down by the White House even though her comments, in which she says she withheld support for a farmer because he was white, were really part of a story of racial reconciliation. In an interview, Sherrod said the White House's wishes were relayed by an Agriculture Department undersecretary.

Speaking on CNN this morning, Sherrod criticized the NAACP for abandoning her:

Sherrod said Tuesday that it was "unfortunate that the NAACP would make a statement without even checking to see what happened. This was 24 years ago, and I'm telling a story to try to unite people."

Sherrod also accused the Obama administration of running scared from Fox News and the Tea Party movement:

She said she tried to explain to USDA officials, "but for some reason, the stuff Fox and the Tea Party does is scaring the administration. I told them to get the whole tape and look at the whole tape and see how I tell people we have to get beyond race and work together."

Asked why did she resigned instead of fighting, Sherrod said, "I didn't have any support from USDA. What would I do?"

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack issued a statement last night announcing Sherrod's forced resignation and denounced Sherrod's racism, a move that would only have been done with the blessing of Obama.

tarzan

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
BLACKS ARE NOT RACIST!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Oh boy - this story might blow up in Breitbarts' face. 

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____

Farmer's wife says fired USDA official helped save their land
ajc ^ | 12:32 p.m. Tuesday, July 20, 2010 | Marcus K. Garner and Christian Boone

The wife of the white farmer allegedly discriminated against by the USDA's rural development director for Georgia said Shirley Sherrod "kept us out of bankruptcy."

Eloise Spooner, 82, awoke Tuesday to discover that Sherrod had lost her job after videotaped comments she made in March at a local NAACP banquet surfaced on the web.

Sherrod, who is black, told the crowd she didn't do everything she could to help a white farmer whom she said was condescending when he came to her for aid.

"What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me was, I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him," Sherrod said in the video, recorded March 27 in Douglas in southeast Georgia.

But Spooner, who considers Sherrod a "friend for life," said the federal official worked tirelessly to help the Iron City couple hold onto their land as they faced bankruptcy back in 1986.

"Her husband told her, ‘You're spending more time with the Spooners than you are with me,' " Spooner told the AJC. "She took probably two or three trips with us to Albany just to help us out."

Spooner called Sherrod Tuesday morning.

"She's very sad about it," Spooner said. "She told me she was so glad we talked. I just can't believe this is happening to her."

Sherrod told the AJC s the damning video was selectively edited. She said the video posted online Monday by biggovernment.com and reported on by FoxNews.com and the AJC completely misconstrued the message she was trying to convey.

"For Fox to take a spin on this like they have done, and know it’s not the truth … it’s very upsetting," said Sherrod, 62, who insisted her statements in the video were not racist. "I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough."

Sherrod noted that few news reports have mentioned that the story she told happened 24 years ago -- before she got the USDA job -- when she worked with the Georgia field office for the Federation of Southern Cooperative/Land Assistance Fund.

"And I went on to work with many more white farmers," she said. "The story helped me realize that race is not the issue, it's about the people who have and the people who don't. When I speak to groups, I try to speak about getting beyond the issue of race."

Responding to what he knew of the video Monday evening, Atlanta NAACP chapter president R.L. White recalled many years of unfair treatment against minority farmers when he told the AJC that the footage, at face value, "does suggest unfair treatment."

"The playing table should be leveled," said White, who wasn't at the March event. "Everyone, regardless of race, creed or color, should be treated same way, regardless of the race of the administrator."

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced Sherrod's resignation in a statement released to Fox News Monday nigh.

"There is zero tolerance for discrimination at USDA, and I strongly condemn any act of discrimination against any person," Vilsack said in the statement.

"They were just looking at what the Tea Party and what Fox said, and thought it was too (politically) dangerous for them," Sherrod said of the agriculture department.

The release of Sherrod's statements came a week after the NAACP issued a resolution calling some elements of the National Tea Party racist for comments made against President Barack Obama and African-American congressmen during the health care debate.

Sherrod was appointed to her position in by Obama's administration in July 2009 to manage more than 40 housing, business and community infrastructure and facility programs, and more than $114 billion in federal loans.

The AJC is working to recover the full video footage of Sherrod's speech to the Douglas NAACP. A production company, DCTV3 in Douglas, recorded the event at the local NAACP chapter's request and is waiting for the chapter's permission to release the full speech.

"We broadcast it on cable," Wilkerson said. "Somebody probably picked it up and recorded it, then put it on YouTube. That's probably why the video looks so shabby."

Sherrod said the circumstances made it absurd for her to have made any racist comment.

"There were some white people there. The mayor (of Douglas) was there," Sherrod recalled. "Why would I do something racist if they were there?"

Mayor Jackie Wilson told the AJC she did introductions at the banquet but had to leave for another event before Sherrod's speech.

Wilson said she did not hear of any controversy in the weeks following the banquet, adding she was shocked to learn of Sherrod's resignation.

"She's not someone I know extremely well, but I respected her and thought she was doing a good job. And she seemed to be a fair person," said Wilson, who was city manager before becoming mayor 2 1/2 years ago. "I just hate that this kind of thing happened in Douglas."

Eloise Spooner told the AJC she intends to stand up for her friend.

"She helped us and we're going to help her," Spooner said.

--Staff writer Larry Hartstein contributed to this report.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Oh boy.  The NAACP is going to have explaining to do. 

This is just sickening.   

sounds pretty bad but I wish I could hear the entire clip

she sounds like she was admitting she was prejudice and then coming to a realization about it

still though, her remarks are pretty bad and they are hard to defend from any angle

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

she sounds like she was admitting she was prejudice and then coming to a realization about it

still though, her remarks are pretty bad and they are hard to defend from any angle

The wife of the farmer who got screwed feels this women changed and ended up helping them.She said today she thought her being forced out wasnt fair.If the person you screwed forgives you,then who am I to rip on you.Apparently this women has changed,UNLIKE Robert Byrd,and has made ammends for her past actions.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

I posted a follow up - it seems to me this woman was playing to the crowd and said what she said not realizing it would be played again in this context. 

If she did in fact help the family out as the family now claims, it seems to me Sherrod should have said so, but we should see the whole clip. 

Nevertheless, I always do feel like i am treated like dirt whenever I go to the govt offices for anything.   

tarzan

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Regardless of what she did eventually do, she does not help race relations with this speech. She is playing to the crowd talking about "their kind" and not giving them the full help they needed. Why say this to a black organization? So they would think this is normal and go do the same thing??

Even though she may have helped the farmer she deserves to be fired since she is not qualified to be in a position of authority based on her racial bias.

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
I posted a follow up - it seems to me this woman was playing to the crowd and said what she said not realizing it would be played again in this context. 

If she did in fact help the family out as the family now claims, it seems to me Sherrod should have said so, but we should see the whole clip. 

Nevertheless, I always do feel like i am treated like dirt whenever I go to the govt offices for anything.

I just heard of this story today, it seems like Breitbart started this story based ONLY on a portion of the whole video.

"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I just heard of this story today, it seems like Breitbart started this story based ONLY on a portion of the whole video.

LOL after she said its about poor or haves and have nots she goes on to say "its about white and black"...that ok with you?

somebody in an appointed position of authority with thinking like that?

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
LOL after she said its about poor or haves and have nots she goes on to say "its about white and black"...that ok with you?

somebody in an appointed position of authority with thinking like that?

I have not heard the whole video and honestly don't even care to listen to it. What is interesting to me is that this story was steered in a certain direction based on incomplete information. Fairly common tactic among some "reporters" out there. :-\
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I have not heard the whole video and honestly don't even care to listen to it. What is interesting to me is that this story was steered in a certain direction based on incomplete information. Fairly common tactic among some "reporters" out there. :-\

Not really Danny.  If she lied to the audience in order to gain "street cred" without ever telling them the actual aid she rendered, how would the reporter have known that from the video? 

Additionally, the reporter stated that the point of the video is also the audience reaction to all of this, which seems to be one of gleeful approval. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Breitbart stated that the issue wasn't Sherrod. It was the NAACP. As he said on "Hannity", he never asked that she be fired or that she resigned. The whole point was that, for all the NAACP's talk about how the Tea Party needs to purge its racist element, the NAACP is LOADED with racist elements of its own.

That was evidence by the crowd approval, their "Hmmm...mmmm", "I know that's right", etc. regarding Sherrod's statements about how all the black farmers lost their farms, yet she was stuck helping this white guy keep his farm.

The wife of the farmer who got screwed feels this women changed and ended up helping them.She said today she thought her being forced out wasnt fair. If the person you screwed forgives you,then who am I to rip on you. Apparently this women has changed,UNLIKE Robert Byrd,and has made ammends for her past actions.

Again, per Breitbart's words, this was about firing back at the NAACP, not Sherrod. With that said, her story doesn't quite add up. CNN interviewed the farmer and his wife. They claimed that there was no racism involved whatsoever and wondered from where did all this hoopla start.

Sherrod, however, claimed that Mr. Spooner was "trying to show that he was superior to me", implying that HE was being racist. Later, she claimed that her speech was about learning to move beyond race. But, why would that be necessary, if Mr. Spooner claims there was NO racism on either end?

Nonetheless, Breitbart's point was made. And the fact that the USDA canned her and tried to ditch her AS SHE WAS DRIVING HOME, because of fear of her being put on Glenn Beck's show later that night (which she wasn't) speaks volumes.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Here is the whole video.  She got screwed royally.  Shame on Breitbart over this.  And shame on the WH for firing her without seeing the whole video.   I don't agree with her on the health care bs and race nonsense at the end, but this situation was definately manipulated as per the farmer. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Here is the whole video.  She got screwed royally.  Shame on Breitbart over this.  And shame on the WH for firing her without seeing the whole video.   I don't agree with her on the health care bs and race nonsense at the end, but this situation was definately manipulated as per the farmer. 

I wouldn't say shame on Breitbart for this, per se. Again, his target was the NAACP, not Sherrod. The White House fired her, as a knee-jerk reaction, a simple case of their race-baiting politics biting them right in the behind.

What's worse, the NAACP, who actually heard the speech in its entirety DIDN'T EVEN DEFEND HER. She was simply collateral damage, a PC casualty, in their stupid race-baiting semantics.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Ok.  This is getting crazy now.  WWWWTTTFFF? ? ? ? ? ?
________________________ ________________________ ___________

July 21, 2010
Forty Acres & a Mule -- Sherrod Style?
www.townhall.com
Rosslyn Smith

----------------------------------------------------------

Shirley Sherrod's quick dismissal from the Obama administration may have had less to do with her comments on race before the NAACP than her long involvement in the aptly named Pigford case, a class action against the US government on behalf of black farmers alleging that the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) had discriminated against black farmers during the period from 1983 through 1997. 

According to Wikipedia: 

The plaintiffs settled with the government in 1999. Under the consent decree, all African American farmers would be paid a "virtually automatic" US$50,000 plus granted certain loan forgiveness and tax offsets. This process was called "Track A".[2]

Alternatively, affected farmers could follow the "Track B" process, seeking a larger payment by presenting a greater amount of evidence - the legal standard in this case was to have a preponderance of evidence along with evidence of greater damages....

At the time the case was settled, it was estimated there would be in the area of 2,000 to 3,000 claims.  As with most estimates involving government handouts that number was woefully short of the mark.  Again, according to Wikipedia:

22,505 "Track A" applications were heard and decided upon, of which 13,348 (59%) were approved. US$995 million had been disbursed or credited to the "Track A" applicants as of January 2009, including US$760 million disbursed as US$50,000 cash awards. Fewer than 200 farmers opted for the "Track B" process.

Beyond those applications that were heard and decided upon, about 70,000 petitions were filed late and were not allowed to proceed. Some have argued that the notice program was defective, and others blamed the farmers' attorneys for "the inadequate notice and overall mismanagement of the settlement agreement." A provision in the 2008 farm bill essentially allowed a re-hearing in civil court for any claimant whose claim had been denied without a decision that had been based on its merits

In other words, according to Agri-Pulse.com the number of total claims filed not only exceeded the original estimate by almost 40 to 50 times, it is close to four times the USDA's estimate of 26,785 total black owned farms in 1977!   One reason for this is that the settlement applied to farmers and those who "attempted to farm" and did not receive assistance from the USDA.  Getting the latest round of Pigford cases from the 2008 farm bill settled is said to be a high priority for the Obama administration.

So where does Sherrod come into this picture?  In a special to the Washington Examiner, Tom Blumer explains  that Sherrod and the group she formed along with family members and others, New Communities. Inc. received the largest single settlement under Pigford.

... New Communities is due to receive approximately $13 million ($8,247,560 for loss of land and $4,241,602 for loss of income; plus $150,000 each to Shirley and Charles for pain and suffering). There may also be an unspecified amount in forgiveness of debt. This is the largest award so far in the minority farmers law suit (Pigford vs Vilsack).

What makes this even more interesting to me is that Charles appears to be Charles Sherrod, who was a big player in the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee in the early 1960s.  The SNCC was the political womb that nurtured the Black Power movement and the Black Panthers before it faded away.

Blumer has some questions about this settlement and about Sherrod's rapid departure from the USDA

•Was Ms. Sherrod's USDA appointment an unspoken condition of her organization's settlement?
•How much "debt forgiveness" is involved in USDA's settlement with New Communities?
•Why were the Sherrods so deserving of a combined $300,000 in "pain and suffering" payments -- amounts that far exceed the average payout thus far to everyone else? ($1.15 billion divided by 16,000 is about $72,000)?
•Given that New Communities wound down its operations so long ago (it appears that this occurred sometime during the late 1980s), what is really being done with that $13 million in settlement money?
Here are a few bigger-picture questions:

•Did Shirley Sherrod resign so quickly because the circumstances of her hiring and the lawsuit settlement with her organization that preceded it might expose some unpleasant truths about her possible and possibly sanctioned conflicts of interest?
•Is USDA worried about the exposure of possible waste, fraud, and abuse in its handling of Pigford?
•Did USDA also dispatch Sherrod hastily because her continued presence, even for another day, might have gotten in the way of settling

Pigford matters quickly?

I second his conclusion that the media and bloggers shouldn't be so quick to dismiss Shirley Sherrod.  Let me start by adding another question to the list.  In her position at not for profit, Rural Development Leadership Network, a network of activists and community builder, was Sherrod involved in any way in encouraging people to submit fraudulent claims under Pigford?  Did she put black people who owned rural land in touch with lawyers who would file the paperwork claiming attempts to farm had been prevented by the non cooperation of the local USDA? 

I ask because there are a multitude of small parcels of non productive rural land all across the south, land unsuitable for mechanized agriculture that was once owned by subsistence farmers, black and white alike.  Many of these parcels continue to be owned by family members who moved elsewhere out of sentimental reasons. The property taxes and other carrying costs are cheap and often ancestors are buried there in family plots.  A drive on any country road in the South may turn up several carefully maintained postage stamp sized family cemeteries.  As I read Blumer, I wondered how many of the owners claimed they had attempted to farm just such acreage to score a fast $50,000 from Uncle Sam? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Judicial Watch Obtains Documents Revealing White House Role in the Controversial Firing of USDA...
Judicial Watch ^ | March 7, 2012

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:08:37 PM by jazusamo

Complete title: Judicial Watch Obtains Documents Revealing White House Role in the Controversial Firing of USDA Employee Shirley Sherrod

White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs Denied Obama White House was Involved in Firing

Documents Show Obama White House Approved Statement by Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack Accepting Sherrod’s Forced Resignation

(Washington, DC) – Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, announced today that it has obtained documents suggesting the Obama White House approved of the decision to fire U.S. Department of Agriculture employee Shirley Sherrod on July 19, 2010, based on what were thought to be racist statements made by Sherrod during a speech at a NAACP meeting on March 27, 2010. Despite the fact that former White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs claimed that the Obama White House played no role in the decision, the documents also indicate that White House officials helped craft and approved the language used by the Secretary of Agriculture in announcing the acceptance of Sherrod’s forced resignation.

The 282 pages recently obtained by Judicial Watch pursuant to an August 2, 2010, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request are in addition to the 900 documents previously disclosed in October 2010. The new documents consist of internal emails between U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) employees and White House staff members in devising a public response to a rapidly growing controversy over the firing of Sherrod, who served as the USDA’s Georgia State Director of Rural Development. After the Sherrod dismissal backfired, former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs claimed “ this was… a decision that was made by the U.S. Department of Agriculture,” and denied that the Obama White House was involved in her being asked to resign.

However, the emails obtained by Judicial Watch reveal that the Obama administration had early knowledge and was involved in subsequent decisions. For example:

When informed on July 19, 2010, about Sherrod’s statements at the NAACP meeting, then-White House spokesperson Reid Cherlin emailed then-USDA Director of Communications Chris Mather “[H]as she been fired?”
In an effort to emphasize what Vilsack needed to say to the press former Special Assistant to the President and White House Cabinet Communications Director Tom Gavin emailed to Mather on July 19, 2010, “Just [t]o be clear, this is the Secretary’s quote, right?” Mather responded, “I think it should be, don’t you,” to which Gavin replied, “absolutely.”
As events unfolded on July 19, 2010, Mather emailed Gavin at the White House, “Did you connect with the NAACP?” Gavin responded, “OPE [Office of Public Engagement] did. We’ll be fine.”
Within the documents released to Judicial Watch is an email chain indicating that Gavin oversaw the writing and obtained counsel approval of the announcement by Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack on July 19, 2010, in which Vilsack stated, “Today, I accepted Ms. Sherrod’s resignation. There is zero tolerance for discrimination at USDA, and I strongly condemn any act of discrimination against any person.” In approving the copy, Gavin indicated in a July 19, 2010, email “We are good with this version on this end.”

According to Shirley Sherrod, who is an African-American, the Obama administration forced her to resign from her job after an excerpt of a speech she gave at the NAACP meeting appeared in a video posted online. In the controversial video, first disclosed by the late Andrew Breitbart, Sherrod described her reluctance to help a white farmer save his land. Further into the talk, Sherrod described how she later went on to work with the farmer and his wife over a two-year period to help prevent foreclosure on his farm.

The White House and the USDA reacted immediately to the video to quell what they assumed would be a furor over Sherrod’s controversial remarks. As reported by CNN, according to Sherrod, Deputy Undersecretary for Rural Development for the USDA Cheryl Cook called her three times, stressing that the White House wanted her to resign.

However, Robert Gibbs issued a denial that the White House played a role in the decision. According to Politico:

“This was, as you heard Secretary Vilsack say yesterday, a decision that was made by the U.S. Department of Agriculture,” said White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, who refused even to say which senior Obama aides have been involved in the process.

“The president was briefed yesterday and has been briefed, obviously, today as well,” added Gibbs, who said the White House was informed but not “consulted” about the firing.

“The Sherrod firing was clearly an embarrassment for the Obama administration, but that is no excuse for the Obama White House to cover up its role in the decision to fire Sherrod. The Obama White House would rather we just accept their explanations, but facts can be pesky things. The documents clearly show that White House officials played a key role in the decision to force Sherrod’s resignation and then misled the American people about that role,” stated Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: DAMN! Agriculture Comm. admits not helping white farmer due to his race.
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 05:18:47 AM »

New emails show White House role in Sherrod ouster

By MARY CLARE JALONICK
Associated Press

AP Photo
 AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta

Politics Video

Buy AP Photo Reprints

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A 2010 email from Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says his department was "waiting for the go-ahead" from the White House before accepting the resignation of employee Shirley Sherrod, according to newly released documents, despite Obama administration assertions that her ouster was Vilsack's decision alone.

The email, which was made public Friday in an ongoing federal court case over the matter, shed more light on the evening of July 19, 2010, when the USDA hastily asked Sherrod to resign after a video showing her making supposed racist remarks surfaced on a conservative website. Her dismissal turned into a racial firestorm after it became clear that the video had been edited and her remarks were meant to tell a story of reconciliation.

Both the White House and Vilsack have repeatedly said the agriculture secretary made the decision to ask for Sherrod's resignation without White House input. The emails, along with earlier emails obtained by The Associated Press under the Freedom of Information Act in 2010 and 2012, make it apparent that Vilsack wanted Sherrod to leave the department and ordered her resignation. But a newly-released email sent by Vilsack himself suggests he was awaiting a decision from White House officials on how to proceed.

"She has offered her resignation which is appropriate," reads an email from the initials "TJV" to Dallas Tonsager, then the USDA undersecretary of rural development and Sherrod's boss. "The WH is involved and we are waiting for the go-ahead to accept her resignation. I suspect some direction from WH soon."

The USDA would not comment on the email and a spokesman, when asked, did not dispute that Vilsack wrote it. The email, sent at 5:37 p.m. on July 19, is in reply to an earlier email from Tonsager addressed to "Mr. Secretary." Vilsack's middle name is James.

The correspondence is evidence in a federal defamation case that Sherrod filed in 2011 against the late blogger Andrew Breitbart, who posted the video, and his colleague Larry O'Connor. The Justice Department has been pushing to keep the emails sealed, but lost Friday afternoon when U.S. District Judge Richard J. Leon ruled they did not have to be kept private.

Vilsack's email was brought up at a court status hearing earlier last week. According to a transcript, a lawyer for Breitbart's wife, who was substituted as defendant after the blogger died unexpectedly in 2012, said the email was "extremely telling" and "contains a statement that is arguably inconsistent with the public statements."

Justice Department lawyer David Glass replied to the judge that "when there is a reference to the White House was involved, what it means is the White House liaison was involved."

USDA's White House liaison, Kevin Washo, was in touch with the White House through the night, according to the documents. In another newly released email, a White House aide writes to Valerie Green of the White House presidential personnel office, saying "USDA is looking for direction - can someone contact Washo?" Green replies that she is "reaching out now."

Green writes Washo asking him to loop her in, "Please. Please. Please."

The department that night accepted Sherrod's resignation as a USDA rural development official in Georgia. When her full speech came to light the next day, it became clear that Sherrod, who is black, was speaking about overcoming her initial reluctance to help a white farmer decades ago.

As the administration came under fire, Vilsack reversed course, apologizing and asking her to return to the department - an offer she declined. President Barack Obama also offered Sherrod an apology.

White House officials acknowledged weeks later they had been more involved than they initially let on and had stayed in close touch with USDA that night. They still maintained, however, that the decision to seek Sherrod's resignation was Vilsack's alone.

The newly released emails also reveal for the first time missives between White House officials that night. By law, members of the public and the press cannot request internal White House documents directly from the White House.

In one email, then-White House Director of Presidential Personnel Nancy Hogan writes to other White House officials that Sherrod has offered to resign and says they will "need to determine what we say about resignation."

After the full video came out the next day, frustrated White House officials vented to one another through emails. Senior adviser Valerie Jarrett wrote then-White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs that "I would not have fired her for it. We just don't need any of it."

"Agreed," Gibbs replied.

In another e-mail to Gibbs that next day, Jarrett notes that then NAACP President Ben Jealous had apologized for condemning Sherrod before knowing the whole story. "We need to do the same and this will do (sic) away. Even Fox said we railroaded Shirley." In another copy of the same email released by the court, Jarrett's same words are redacted, citing a FOIA exemption for "deliberative process."

Lawyers for Breitbart colleague O'Connor filed the emails in court to bolster their argument that government decisions were the reason for Sherrod's dismissal, not the blog post. The emails show that the officials were made aware there might be a longer video, and that they were concerned about political fallout from her comments. O'Connor's lawyers argue that the "deliberative process" exemptions prove their point.

"The government cannot assert a privilege to shield the production of decision-making communications, while simultaneously claiming to have had no role in a decision," the lawyers wrote in their filing.

---

Follow Mary Clare Jalonick on Twitter: http://twitter.com/mcjalonick

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: DAMN! Agriculture Comm. admits not helping white farmer due to his race.
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 06:41:37 AM »
another impeachable offence.