Author Topic: Getting Bulky/Big Opinions  (Read 2323 times)

actionjackson23

• Getbig I
  • This is Misleading-its only when flexing. lmao
Getting Bulky/Big Opinions
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:43:10 AM »
Hi guys. Just wanted to ask a question. Im new to GetBig so i wanted to get opinions from the experts; You Guys! im new to working out, but rather new to an "actual" gym and "Bodybuilding". Heres the jist of things:
Height- 5'7
Weight- 217lbs
Waist- 38"

Among those specs i have a little gut but not that bad. I am Trying to get big/bulky. But at the same time i am taking Lipo6x (which is awesome) so i dont want to use TONS of protein because i believe they will ultimately counteract eachother. Question 1 is, is my theory true or is there any basis to this?

Also, i AM lifting heavy, (or i just started last week).
Belonged to the gym for 2 months now.

Question 2 is: my main objective is to lose my stomach (Lipo6x). Does trying yo get bulky/big/deisel prevent me from losing my stomach fat?

Thanks fellas. i know my thoughts are all over the place but your input is much appreciated.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Getting Bulky/Big Opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:04:14 AM »
it's a simple equation... you cannot add muscle while losing fat...

here's why: caloric intake.

say you want to lose a pound a week...

1 pound of fat = 3500 calories.
if your daily recommended intake is 3500, then you need to eat 500 less calories per day to lose 1 pound per week

in a calorie deficient state your body works to conserve energy and does not focus on the anabolic process of building muscle...

never fear though... you can always turn that on by bumping your calories back up after say 4-5 months of losing fat

the win is that the muscle you gain at that point will be a lot more visible and you will be far healthier...

actionjackson23

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:11:04 AM »
ok cool. As a matter of fact i was initially thinking that exact same thing. I checked my body fat at one point and it was high 20s% so i bought the Lipo6 to ultimately lose all that fat and THEN go back up!! so i was thinking go down, then build again. alot of work but its good to know that someone else solidified my perceptions. so for now i guess i'll hold off on building bulk and focus more on getting lean.
Cool Beans! 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »
it's a simple equation... you cannot add muscle while losing fat...

here's why: caloric intake.

say you want to lose a pound a week...

1 pound of fat = 3500 calories.
if your daily recommended intake is 3500, then you need to eat 500 less calories per day to lose 1 pound per week

in a calorie deficient state your body works to conserve energy and does not focus on the anabolic process of building muscle...

never fear though... you can always turn that on by bumping your calories back up after say 4-5 months of losing fat

the win is that the muscle you gain at that point will be a lot more visible and you will be far healthier...
you can but thats for a different board...two down ;D

the best advice i can give is to do your best to spare muscle....i would do about 2 excercises per bodypart to exhaustion....and heavy....with limited reps.....just try to keep them maintained without overworking them...

bench

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:57:56 AM »
you can but thats for a different board...two down ;D

the best advice i can give is to do your best to spare muscle....i would do about 2 excercises per bodypart to exhaustion....and heavy....with limited reps.....just try to keep them maintained without overworking them...

bench

I agree with this..the best you can hope for is to try to spare as much muscle as you can because as you get leaner you are going to lose muscle as well...you can't get around that...the best thing you can do is lift heavy while you are getting lean and this will help you to spare as much muscle as you can.  But beware:  you are going to find that as you burn off fat and get lean, you will see a gradual loss in strength and stamina..you will begin to labor a lot harder and feel weaker...it will be hard to keep up your previous pace....this has happened to alot of guys in my gym and to me as well...its gets frustrating because you kinda begin to feel puny and weak psychologically........y ou have to rob from peter (use smaller poundages or lessen your overall sets, or decrease poundages) to pay paul (get leaner) ..it depends on which you desire more...more strength and bulk or a leaner midsection

actionjackson23

• Getbig I
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:38:25 AM »
Definitly prefer to be leaner! I really do believe that im making good progress using the "Do both" method! However, i do agree that the strength just isnt as great as it was before. But the endurance and stamina has become insane (good)! im on my 4th week with Lipo 6x and i got atleast 4 more to go before i cycle off for awhile. I do see the muscles and tone coming in very well and that was really what i was looking for. BTW....you guys have been awesome for this 1st time poster. Your advice is very much appreciated.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »
Keep up the good work :)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »
I never experienced lipo 6 the stamina issue when I dropped 50 lbs of body lipo 6 fat several years ago. Strength was affected lipo 6 to a small extent but I focused lipo 6 on eating 1.5 grams of protein per pound of what I considered lipo 6 to be my lean body mass. I also focused on consistency in weight training to avoid  lipo6 muscle loss and did the H.I.I.T cardio rather than the long sessions. I don't feel I experienced the muscle loss some predict here and I am lifting heavier at this point than I was 50 lbs heavier .

I also suspect if you took Lipo 6 out of the equation, and continued working out and watching your diet, you would have similar results, but research does show the placebo effect can be a powerful thing.