Author Topic: The Psycho-Neural Effects of Chronic Anabolic Steroid Use  (Read 8798 times)

BFG

• Getbig III
The Psycho-Neural Effects of Chronic Anabolic Steroid Use
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »
The Psycho-Neural Effects of Chronic Anabolic Steroid Use: A Theorization in Exogenous Androgen Induced Psychopathology

Long term research in regards to the effects of anabolic steroids exists almost entirely in the anecdotal but we know enough about the psycho-neural development and function of the human brain as well as the role of the hypothalamic pituitary testicular/gonadal axis in psychologically defined quality of life.

Both testosterone and estrogen are integral factors in the way we feel and define our quality of life (QOL) in psychological terms. Introducing exogenous hormones at dosages exponentially more than anything found in nature will inevitably have a profound effect on one's psychopathology. The human brain, especially the hypothalamus which controls mood and complex emotional functions, is heavily populated with androgen receptors. Furthermore, when testosterone converts into estrogen at a supraphysiological level (a result of excessive exogenous testosterone administration) one must be aware of the effects of unnaturally high levels of estradiol in the body. Recent case studies have theorized that high levels of estradiol might have a positive correlation toward impulsive behavior and mania.

One of the most important neurological manners in which exogenous testosterone administration can have an overwhelming effect on psychopathology is through the binding of the androgen receptors on a variety of neurological pathways that act as the neurotransmitters for mechanisms that control aggressive and sexual behavior. A prime example of this is testosterone binding to the 5-HT neurotransmitter. In addition, testosterone will bind to and stimulate the arginine vasopressin system - a system which has been shown to mediate aggressive behavior. It will also cause a synergistic effect with the 5-HT neurons that are highly populated with androgen receptors, as the AVP system is densely populated with 5-HT neurotransmitters. It is also important to note that testosterone will blunt GABA production and minimize dopamine in the hypothalamus - both chemicals of which have an inverse correlation to levels of aggression.

We already have conclusive evidence that endocrinology and psychopatholgy go hand in hand. On average, three quarters of patients suffering from clinical depression have abnormally high levels of cortisol from hyperactivity in the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis. Exogenous hormone use will have a profound effect on one's brain chemistry, but we are still in the process of theorizing - nowhere near conclusions, let alone predictive analysis. One must also remember that personal experience (environmental), androgen sensitivity and history of psychopathology will play an equally important role in the manifestation of behaviors induced by exogenous androgens.

LMV

• Getbig III
  • Time Out
Re: The Psycho-Neural Effects of Chronic Anabolic Steroid Use
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:46:12 PM »

BFG

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:03:50 PM »
It is also important to recall that in a landmark study, performed in 2000, men were given 600mg/week of testosterone cypionate and their aggressive and hypomanic tendencies were evaluated through the Young Mania Rating Scale. Practically all of the subjects exhibited an increase in aggression and hypomania but only 4 percent of the subjects' behavior manifested into a marked level of aggression/hypomania. This would lead one to theorize that, while supraphysiological levels of exogenous testosterone administration does exhibit real effects on the neurochemistry of the brain, the individual's environmental and experiential makeup plays an equally important role in the manifestation of behavioral changes.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
what does your personal experience in this area suggest, Stokely?

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »
i smell another "hugeandripped" gimmick ::) ::) ::)

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 06:41:48 AM »
Kai "The ape that raped a grape" Greene

youngytheking

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
what does your personal experience in this area suggest, Stokely?

You know or think its Stokely Palmer, alright, we fucking get it....

Colby

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 08:40:58 AM »
Very interesting.  I wonder how long after usage it takes for your hypothalomus is back to normal or is it ever??  Any aids in making that happen?

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »

Batman would never watch soccer.
A

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »

Batman would never watch soccer.
Maybe he is giving the finger to his cable company for not offering MLB or NFL game packages and has no choice but soccer ?

io856

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »
hugeripped

question for BFG

I need to know... are you saying these high levels of test are increasing levels of vasopressin??? I need an answer as this hormone has a very interesting correlation in relationships

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 07:13:18 AM »
Update: bicep curls cause shitzoPhreniacalMeniacal psychosis.
It happened to Debussey no doubt.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 12:00:38 AM »
  Damn...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 03:08:53 AM »
and this is p[art of the reason why AS are not legal, and never will be.

partly because they dont know entirely, and what they have proven is that it messes with your psychii- plus it messes with your health and ultimately costs a government more in cleanup than it does to make them legal.

very similar to the marijuana issue. if you think that its harmless, swing by any psych ward and have a look at what it can do if used alot...im sure you all know people close to you who have fucked up their lives as stoners also- yet you wouldnt consider that an addiction or side effect would you?...

as usual the ignorance and maturity level here at GB paves the way.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 03:25:57 AM »

partly because they dont know entirely, and what they have proven is that it messes with your psychii- plus it messes with your health and ultimately costs a government more in cleanup than it does to make them legal.

very similar to the marijuana issue. if you think that its harmless, swing by any psych ward and have a look at what it can do if used alot...im sure you all know people close to you who have fucked up their lives as stoners also- yet you wouldnt consider that an addiction or side effect would you?...

::)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 04:32:16 AM »
Is this why so many former bodybuilders get earrings and become manic in their "field of work"?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »
Steroids probably cause homosexuality.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »

Oh really??

Can you tell me then why tobacco and alcohol are legal and it's easier to get anti-depressants and shit out of your doc than some steroids??

io856

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 09:10:07 PM »
Steroids probably cause homosexuality.
please continue

dustin

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »

LMFAO!!!! You know what's ironic? You need to be prescribed steroids so you can stop being a beta male, plus marijuana so you can think outside your narrow tunnel vision.

I don't even know where to start owning you.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 10:38:53 PM »
LMFAO!!!! You know what's ironic? You need to be prescribed steroids so you can stop being a beta male, plus marijuana so you can think outside your narrow tunnel vision.

I don't even know where to start owning you.

stand in line.. like i said, the delusion and ignorance is strong at GB.

the response is EXACTLY as i expected. strong denial and inability to be objective. pulling irrelevant anecdotes (cigarettes and alcohol which have far more of a political and traditional history to form a comparison) to support a lame case. - the motive is to justify your illegal drug use.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »

the response is EXACTLY as i expected. strong denial and inability to be objective. pulling irrelevant anecdotes (cigarettes and alcohol which have far more of a political and traditional history to form a comparison) to support a lame case. - the motive is to justify your illegal drug use.

I bet you look like Pumpster, just an observation.

dustin

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 10:57:24 PM »

Naw, I don't pull out the alcohol and tobacco argument. That's been played to death.

It's a well known fact that douches that take steroids often exaggerate and act like bigger douches. Just like how alcoholics that drink tend to be less eloquent than normal people who can handle social drinking, or even a night on the town for that matter. Also, psych ward and marijuana? Are you kidding me? Venture outside your mother's basement. This isn't 1937. ::)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »
please continue

It would explain all the G4P, LOL!