Author Topic: If you saw a parent/adult slapping/hitting a child, what would you do?  (Read 10904 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: If you saw a parent/adult slapping/hitting a child, what would you do?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »
More kids should be slapped, and that flight attendant should have been slapped as well...

this is how the dumb flight attendant would have disciplined the child, "Now, it wrong to kick, you know that." Kid kicks her again, "I told you it was wrong, now stop..." And it goes on. You must show children that there is a consequence for bad actions, and especially if you tell them to stop doing something. And many many times, kids want to try you in public, thinking that they can get away with stuff.

Parker, we're talking about a 13 month old baby, on an airplane... most likely with her eardrums popping,
...not a petulant 7 year old trying to challenge authority... a baby. Sheesh! Babies kick, that's what they do. It's starts in the womb before they even come into the world. It's how they stretch their muscles. Babies kick, they pull hair, they spit up, they pee, they poop, they scream, they sleep like contented little angels. That's what babies do.   ::)
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »
I remember flying when I was pretty young probably around 4 or so and my ears started to pop and it was excruciating...lol I didnt cry but it was pretty painful I couldnt imagine for a little infant...and again from what ive heard this child already had a black eye...

I agree with disciplining your child but I think trying to comfort the child in this instance would have done more than slapping it.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 05:50:09 AM »
Parker, we're talking about a 13 month old baby, on an airplane... most likely with her eardrums popping,
...not a petulant 7 year old trying to challenge authority... a baby. Sheesh! Babies kick, that's what they do. It's starts in the womb before they even come into the world. It's how they stretch their muscles. Babies kick, they pull hair, they spit up, they pee, they poop, they scream, they sleep like contented little angels. That's what babies do.   ::)
A one yr old child can still be disciplined. A lil slap on the hand, leg or bottom, with a stern "No!" is all that is needed. Children at that age are smart, and still trying to test boundaries. Yes Children at that age kick, scream, but if you let it continue, they will continue to do it at the most inopportune moments. Every been to church, where the child starts crying, not out of pain, but out of attention, an when ignored, they get louder? Same deal.

i remember I was at a Housewarming, and a lady had her one yr old there. I was constanstly keeping the child from bumping his big head on stuff. A older lady told me, "Let him bump his head, then he'll know not to do it again..."

Fast fwd two yrs later, the lady brought that child to work, and it showed that he was never disciplined, he was constantly grabbing everything in site, and his mother only said plantive "Stop, don't do that..."

Every where you looked he was picking up things he shouldn't have...his mother was a 40-something, who didn't need kids in her life.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 07:30:21 AM »
A one yr old child can still be disciplined. A lil slap on the hand, leg or bottom, with a stern "No!" is all that is needed. Children at that age are smart, and still trying to test boundaries. Yes Children at that age kick, scream, but if you let it continue, they will continue to do it at the most inopportune moments. Every been to church, where the child starts crying, not out of pain, but out of attention, an when ignored, they get louder? Same deal.

i remember I was at a Housewarming, and a lady had her one yr old there. I was constanstly keeping the child from bumping his big head on stuff. A older lady told me, "Let him bump his head, then he'll know not to do it again..."

Fast fwd two yrs later, the lady brought that child to work, and it showed that he was never disciplined, he was constantly grabbing everything in site, and his mother only said plantive "Stop, don't do that..."

Every where you looked he was picking up things he shouldn't have...his mother was a 40-something, who didn't need kids in her life.
Good post and spot on.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »

So because you know a lady with a precocious brat, ...that justifies the abuse of someone else's baby?
w

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 12:22:18 PM »
So because you know a lady with a precocious brat, ...that justifies the abuse of someone else's baby?

EVERYONE knows such a lady...you make it sound like its a rare occurrence....its not...

and discipline is not abuse...

but i guess since you consider that abuse...you'd probably have illmannered, do as you please kids   :-\
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 03:35:44 PM »

Good post.  Discipline is so important for little ones.  They know very early on (before age 1) what "no" means and they learn right from wrong very quickly.  They are constantly testing boundaries and will work a weak-minded/weak-willed/apathetic parent.  Kids actually love parents more when parents establish rules and enforce them. 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
Good post.  Discipline is so important for little ones.  They know very early on (before age 1) what "no" means and they learn right from wrong very quickly.  They are constantly testing boundaries and will work a weak-minded/weak-willed/apathetic parent.  Kids actually love parents more when parents establish rules and enforce them.  

my girs nephews grew up and are growing up with absolutely no boundaries...and r pretty illmannered...NOW the parents r suddenly getting stricter...but TOO LATE...i guess they r doing so cause they probably heard stuff about their kids from other people and got embrassed...anyhow as i said ...TOO LATE...

recently i heard one of them say " when my dad dies i'm gonna take over his business and have a lot of $ " and he's 10 yrs old  :-\...sad
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 02:11:43 PM »
my girs nephews grew up and are growing up with absolutely no boundaries...and r pretty illmannered...NOW the parents r suddenly getting stricter...but TOO LATE...i guess they r doing so cause they probably heard stuff about their kids from other people and got embrassed...anyhow as i said ...TOO LATE...

recently i heard one of them say " when my dad dies i'm gonna take over his business and have a lot of $ " and he's 10 yrs old  :-\...sad

Yep.  Once they become teenagers, it's too late.  In fact, if you haven't developed good character, obedience, etc. by about age five or so, it's probably too late.  A kid's personality doesn't change.  The core of who they are is pretty well established very early.  That's why good parental involvement, training, role modeling, etc. are so important. 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
Yep.  Once they become teenagers, it's too late.  In fact, if you haven't developed good character, obedience, etc. by about age five or so, it's probably too late.  A kid's personality doesn't change.  The core of who they are is pretty well established very early.  That's why good parental involvement, training, role modeling, etc. are so important. 

well said! but noooo if you read this thread disciplining your kids is child abuse...  ::)
carpe` vaginum!

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »
Good post.  Discipline is so important for little ones.  They know very early on (before age 1) what "no" means and they learn right from wrong very quickly.  They are constantly testing boundaries and will work a weak-minded/weak-willed/apathetic parent.  Kids actually love parents more when parents establish rules and enforce them. 
When my brother was a very young lad and was acting up in the car, my mother said, "Do you wnat me to pull over on the side of the road and slap your lil legs?!!", His reply? It as "Do it!", he didn't think my mother would pull over in busy traffic and spank him, and she did. And then she told him, "And I don't want to hear a sound, or I will really give you something to cry about!"...and he sat, sobbing silently... 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »
When my brother was a very young lad and was acting up in the car, my mother said, "Do you wnat me to pull over on the side of the road and slap your lil legs?!!", His reply? It as "Do it!", he didn't think my mother would pull over in busy traffic and spank him, and she did. And then she told him, "And I don't want to hear a sound, or I will really give you something to cry about!"...and he sat, sobbing silently... 

lol.   :)  That's classic.  I remember the first time we test drove a minivan as our family was expanding, the first thing my oldest laughingly said was "you can't reach me."   :)

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 12:54:17 PM »
if my kid ever hit or kicked me they would get knocked the !@#$ out.  They all know this.   :) 

you sound like father of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »
I'm not against spanking but I think slapping a baby in the face is wrong.  

I've been known to squeeze some unruly teenagers until they left the room yelling child abuse, but I don't think that was abuse.

R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »
you sound like father of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you . . . thank you very much.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »

I've been known to squeeze some unruly teenagers until they left the room yelling child abuse, but I don't think that was abuse.

I was opposed to spanking before I had kids.  I changed my opinion not long after my first brat came along.  I used a method recommended by child psychologist John Rosemond:  only on the butt, only with your hand, no more than three swats.  Excellent way to deliver the supreme sanction without abusing the kid.  

What I found is that having the spanking option makes the other lesser forms of punishment much easier to implement.  I didn't have to use it that much, and then the kids get old enough where other things like loss of privileges and gadgets become just as effective.  

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »

My parents had Apple trees, Peach Trees and Dogwood trees. Each switch from that tree had a different feeling...the Peach tree and the apple tree has a wet, swift feeling to it, the dogwood tree had a had crak to them

now getting lit up for a few minutes, is how much a spanking should be, any longer than 2-3 minutes (max), will be way too long.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »
i punched a 16 year old in the forehead and fratured her skull about 2 years ago......

bench

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 08:29:37 PM »
My parents had Apple trees, Peach Trees and Dogwood trees. Each switch from that tree had a different feeling...the Peach tree and the apple tree has a wet, swift feeling to it, the dogwood tree had a had crak to them

now getting lit up for a few minutes, is how much a spanking should be, any longer than 2-3 minutes (max), will be way too long.

Getting it with the "switch" is no joke. 

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 08:52:41 PM »
Getting it with the "switch" is no joke. 

it couldnt be as bad as getting knocked the fuck out by your parent thogh
TEAM LAURA LEE!

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 08:56:26 PM »

some male teenagers need to get in a fist fight with their dad.  Dad needs to still show that he is the dominant alpha male of the house when the punk starts getting mouthy.  But...then talk to him after the blood bath to let him know to tone it down a few notches.  Maybe drink a beer with him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 09:30:19 PM »

Noooo.  The switch is much worse.  Many lickins.  Much longer.  The kid getting knocked out only involves two hits:  kid getting hit, kid hitting the floor.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 09:31:19 PM »
some male teenagers need to get in a fist fight with their dad.  Dad needs to still show that he is the dominant alpha male of the house when the punk starts getting mouthy.  But...then talk to him after the blood bath to let him know to tone it down a few notches.  Maybe drink a beer with him.

I told my son I'll be able to kick the crap out of him when I'm 90 years old.   :)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 10:37:18 PM »

necks i hope!
carpe` vaginum!

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »

im afraid i could have beat my dad up at 16.................. we always had a good reationship though
TEAM LAURA LEE!