Author Topic: chasing livestock  (Read 2063 times)

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
chasing livestock
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:45:58 AM »
hi having a little problem with the dog lol.  hes well behaved and when walking i very rarely have him on the lead,  he sees cats, other dogs ect and comes straight to me when i call him.  however hes got this crazy fetish for rabbits which i dont care about and sheep. 

the sheep thing is dangerous,  i took him for a walk today and some of the farmers sheep got out and he bolted,  i call him and its as if hes totally in the zone and cant hear me and hes after blood.  he circled the entire of the 6 sheep until they were in a circle and had his paws holding a sheeps head with his mouth over its head. i just caught up with him and managed to stop him killing the sheep by throwing the lead at him (i wasnt close enough).  I then chased him until he went after a the largest sheep that i knew he wouldne be able to catch, all this time the swine is totally deaf to my commands.

I got him back but im lucky the farmer wasnt in this field cause he would have shot him.  how the hell do i stop this?  i bought an e collar before but he barely feels it. i know most people will say just put him on the leash all the time but i think thats a cop-out.  any advise?  hes sheep crazy, you wouldnt belive the difference between him walking through the park playing with dogs cats and kids and then a total savage when he sees a sheep.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: chasing livestock
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
Is he a hearding bread?  Sounds like he's just doing what he was bread to do and means no harm.  The farmer on the other hand  ???  He should be happy the dog rounded up his strays.
:

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:01:44 AM »
hes a rhodesian ridgeback and there is no doubt in my mind he rounded them up to eat them, he was an literally a split second away from bringing down a lamb before i got to him.  i was annoyed at him but quite impressed at how easily he boxed them off even though it was a very fast chase, made the animals on wildlife channel look like amatures, i can see why they used them for lion bating.  i wouldnt care about the sheep but the farmers around here all have reputations for shooting dogs.  Also if he gets it into his head that everything that runs is prey im in more trouble later on. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:15:14 AM »
Maybe he needs to be desentitized to the "thrill" of sheep ???  But you'd need permission to work w/one.

Do you pass a specific farm w/sheep?  Maybe just put him on the leash to go past that area?
R

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 04:04:58 PM »
my dog has this thing about attacking mules.....nothing else...

bench

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 07:31:44 AM »
my dog has this thing about attacking mules.....nothing else...

bench

everytime i see a mule i have this overwhelming urge to chuck pebbles at its balls....

i totally feel yer dog...
carpe` vaginum!

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:49:50 PM »
Any dog attacking or even menacing livestock is dead meat in my world.

I don't care if the owner is standing right there or not.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:52:34 PM »
Id gut you like a fish