Author Topic: What do religious people think they are doing when they pray?  (Read 48724 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: What do religious people think they are doing when they pray?
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »
I'm avoiding a huge list of homework by being on here, so I'll type this and leave for a few hours. God could have created us with that appreciation already built in us. God could have given us that lesson and appreciation already and not need evil if he is all powerful, correct? You're saying that without bad we wont appreciate good. Why cant God make us appreciate good without bad?
Original sin.
God made us good. We fucked up. We can can be good again though Christ.
A

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »
off the top off my head, i can see a few key variables you're not counting.
1.) Job 1:7 says that satan roams the earth, and the gospels clearly show Satan temping humans. So if Satan is on earth, what stops him from doing evil? Which brings us to.
2.) If God helps those who ask, why is it his fault for not sticking everyone of us in a protective garden? He tried that already, with brings us to.
3.) original sin. Man's punishment was disobeying God was pain in life.

Had to respond to this before leaving

My response: Why did God give Adam and Eve the option of the tree of knowledge? Why did God create the tree if he knew (because he has to know by default, he's all knowing) that they would disobey God. Why did God create Adam and Eve with the ability to disobey. Why did God create satan knowing that he would lead humans to hell eventually.

FYI: I am not telling what I believe. I"m telling the arguments. I havn't said yet what i personally believe

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »
I'm avoiding a huge list of homework by being on here, so I'll type this and leave for a few hours. God could have created us with that appreciation already built in us. God could have given us that lesson and appreciation already and not need evil if he is all powerful, correct? You're saying that without bad we wont appreciate good. Why cant God make us appreciate good without bad?
we love god beause he gave us our own identity. we shape ourselves. tabula rasa= blank slate. emperics are absolutely right about pragmatism and knowledge coming from sense perception only. god gave us freedom of thought, freedom of action. he allows us ot be evil, or good. creating a people that are forced to be a certain way, think a certain way is not good. god is good. he created us and gave us production control of ourselves.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
I have never needed to 'find God' as to me he was never lost.

I say a few private prayers each day and I go to Mass. This may sound silly but I do find and feel peace and optimism for being religious. Is this God or simply endorphins through some sort of self-hynosis? Who knows. Either way my beliefs have never caused others harm or impinged on their life.

I believe in God. I do not try to make others do so.
In physc its important to belive theres order and reason to the universe. The simple truth is there isnt. Its a meaningless assumption so humans need something to grasp inorder to be healthy.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »
Original sin.
God made us good. We fucked up. We can can be good again though Christ.

Great plan, god. He just couldn't realise how fucking dumb people can be.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=110997741

That was laughable, all that said was what chemical proceses and which part of the brain are used during "prayer" i.e begging and self "hypnosis", guess what, the brain uses chemicals and different parts for every emotion, thought or feeling we have!Again please post the studies that have identified what God is and that we are 100% able to communicate with it.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »
I see what you mean.

I was raised no differently from many of my sisters and brothers yet I feel compelled to go to Mass. Much the same way as my Dad does. It is not the Catholic guilt etc. But I genuinely feel a peace and calmness when in Mass and often when I pray.

I do not use God as a crutch. I do not use him as a last resort either. He is there perpetually for anyone who wishes.

But I do not think I am doing harm to myself or others in believeing in God.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
god gave us freedom of thought, freedom of action.

If you believe this, you believe that some people just want to become pedophile rapists. They might have been bored one day and thought hey I could start raping little children. Is that how it works?

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
Had to respond to this before leaving

My response: Why did God give Adam and Eve the option of the tree of knowledge? Why did God create the tree if he knew (because he has to know by default, he's all knowing) that they would disobey God. Why did God create Adam and Eve with the ability to disobey. Why did God create satan knowing that he would lead humans to hell eventually.

FYI: I am not telling what I believe. I"m telling the arguments. I havn't said yet what i personally believe
Youre still assuming that the universe can be completely good with us knowing both good and evil.  
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
Great plan, god. He just couldn't realise how fucking dumb people can be.
He knew, he loved us too much. That's why he ask Adam if he ate from the Tree of the knowledge even tho he must have known.
A

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
God gave free will and respects that decision right to the very end.

When he died on the cross for us he paid the price for all our sins. This did not mean that we are all good and can all go to heaven. It means that through his death and sacrafice we have the choice to return to God and turn back to him.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »
He knew, he loved us too much. That's why he ask Adam if he ate from the Tree of the knowledge even tho he must have known.

No, he really didn't know. God was at the point a ghost like entity wandering through the paradise and had even more human like attributes than he later on would have.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
God gave free will and respects that decision right to the very end.

When he died on the cross for us he paid the price for all our sins. This did not mean that we are all good and can all go to heaven. It means that through his death and sacrafice we have the choice to return to God and turn back to him.

When you mock Derek Anthony for example, do you pray to God for forgiveness after?If not then why?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »
Honestly, no.

It does not come to my mind. I do however apologise and ask for forgiveness for the things I am genuinely sorry for. You only get forgiven for things you are sorry for. I have plenty of things I have done wrong.

Maybe my brashness and foul mouth will set my fate but no point in lying to God or myself.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »
So what your saying is God likes people to grovel at his feet, thats why he makes them have bad car wrecks so he feel more important then he already is  ???
of course not, just when bad things happen people's pride drops and they change their tune.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »
off the top off my head, i can see a few key variables you're not counting.
1.) Job 1:7 says that satan roams the earth, and the gospels clearly show Satan temping humans. So if Satan is on earth, what stops him from doing evil? Which brings us to.
2.) If God helps those who ask, why is it his fault for not sticking everyone of us in a protective garden? He tried that already, with brings us to.
3.) original sin. Man's punishment was disobeying God was pain in life.

Bingo

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
i once had a problem taking off a nut off the axel from my car, and i said Lord Please, PLEASE LORD ALL MIGHT allow me the power to release this stubbern NUT, and it came loose, THen i asked PLEASE lord PLEASE no more crack babys, and the lord said NO, CRACK BABYS make the world turn, now finish fixing your car my son

LOLZ

im gonna ask jesus for training advice

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
Foolishness to you. It's funny how people don't beleive get upset annoyed with people who do. Their wasting there time. I've felt the presence of the lord jesus christ in my life I know he's real. I felt the holy spirit sorrund me. The holy bible makes sense to me. It's about love and treating your neighbors good. What is wrong with that.

1 Corinthians 1:18 

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »
God is a future event.

End of thread.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »
in all honesty though, put someone in a situation where they are facing death and they become religious real quick lol.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2010, 09:08:42 PM »
God is a future event.

End of thread.
alpha and omega
A

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2010, 09:11:43 PM »
Foolishness to you. It's funny how people don't beleive get upset annoyed with people who do. Their wasting there time. I've felt the presence of the lord jesus christ in my life I know he's real. I felt the holy spirit sorrund me. The holy bible makes sense to me. It's about love and treating your neighbors good. What is wrong with that.
LOL OF course you felt the holy spirit bro! The bible says god is everywhere man. It would be weird to not feel the jesus in the air!

I don't know about you, BUT I'M EXCITED ABOUT JESUS! Can I get a hallelujah!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2010, 07:46:18 AM »

:D

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2010, 08:06:27 AM »
just sayin

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2010, 11:55:30 AM »
R