Author Topic: Do you ever get up early and despite drinking coffee, the dump won't come?  (Read 5399 times)

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
Re: Do you ever get up early and despite drinking coffee, the dump won't come?
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2010, 05:33:30 AM »
Making Meaty Baked Beans with Smoked Pork Shoulder, North Carolina Calabash HushPuppies and All-American Potato Salad as we speak.

I expect a good dump later on.

Jezzebele must really light up a bathroom...

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 05:38:11 AM »
The thing that really annoyed me about courses and learning materials is that they just didn't apply to a conversation on the street.  I'm sure I sounded like a horses ass using     -masu verbs talking with people in a bar.  Also, I was totally overwhelmed by how fast they speak.  Most people were pretty patient with me, thankfully.

Actually i think it's better to be too polite rather than talking like a street thug.

I get that with a lot of gaijin coming from a japanese university starting to work. They always talk like they are among student friends, this is absolutely useless in a company or business level... horrible.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 05:39:22 AM »
Always wanted to be able to sit down and read the newspaper.  I've got maybe 200 kanji I'd remember pretty quick and another 300 that would take a little more reminding.  Then only another 1500 to go to read at a junior high level!  ::)  Wish I had your facility for languages, D.

Learning Kanji has nothing to do with facility for languages. When I was living in Korea I studied Kanji for fun (they still teach it for historical reasons in Korean schools, though the Koreans were smart enough to come up with an excellent alphabet which has almost entirely displaced Kanji apart from the odd character in a newspaper). Learning Kanji is basically memorisation and constant practise, nothing to do (at least in my experience with language facility). I have a friend in Japan who speaks excellent Japanese but his writing and reading skills are poor; Kanji are just pictograms, they have nothing to do with language itself. I think if Japanese had a proper alphabet, excellent speaking skills would be more readily transferable to writing and reading skills. The same applies to Chinese. Actually, I have a girl (Chinese) on my MSc who admits that the Chinese system is totally inefficient but culture is neither logical nor efficient, it simply is what it is. In the 18th century there were many (failed) attempts to reform English orthography but we are stuck with the horrible spelling system we have today and it is very, very unlikely to change. OK, that was a tangent. Final point, learning Kanji has nothing to do with ability to learn a language.
I hate the State.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »
Learning Kanji has nothing to do with facility for languages. When I was living in Korea I studied Kanji for fun (they still teach it for historical reasons in Korean schools, though the Koreans were smart enough to come up with an excellent alphabet which has almost entirely displaced Kanji apart from the odd character in a newspaper). Learning Kanji is basically memorisation and constant practise, nothing to do (at least in my experience with language facility). I have a friend in Japan who speaks excellent Japanese but his writing and reading skills are poor; Kanji are just pictograms, they have nothing to do with language itself. I think if Japanese had a proper alphabet, excellent speaking skills would be more readily transferable to writing and reading skills. The same applies to Chinese. Actually, I have a girl (Chinese) on my MSc who admits that the Chinese system is totally inefficient but culture is neither logical nor efficient, it simply is what it is. In the 18th century there were many (failed) attempts to reform English orthography but we are stuck with the horrible spelling system we have today and it is very, very unlikely to change. OK, that was a tangent. Final point, learning Kanji has nothing to do with ability to learn a language.

Many on getbig are fluent in Faganese.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2010, 05:42:41 AM »
Actually i think it's better to be too polite rather than talking like a street thug.

I get that with a lot of gaijin coming from a japanese university starting to work. They always talk like they are among student friends, this is absolutely useless in a company or business level... horrible.

It's funny because my friend who runs the sports nutrition business in Bonn always 'dutzen's people, no matter what there age. I was there one day and a customer flipped put, started screaming at him and basically slammed the door and left. When in doubt, always be too polite. ;D
I hate the State.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 05:54:19 AM »

Lol, it was a white guy that told me off for being too polite!  "Nobody talks like that, man."  Huh, maybe they do!

If I take another run at it, it will include more reading material (at the appropriate level) than I had before.  Nothing sticks for me without seeing it used in context.  Flash cards alone didn't cut the mustard for long term retention.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 05:56:30 AM »
I prefer to just learn a few offensive terms, where the bathroom is and how to order beer.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 06:01:54 AM »
I prefer to just learn a few offensive terms, where the bathroom is and how to order beer.

A funny one is neko pai for a poorly endowed woman.

I guess pai means tits.  Neko is cat.  Cat tits.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2010, 06:26:24 AM »
A funny one is neko pai for a poorly endowed woman.

I guess pai means tits.  Neko is cat.  Cat tits.

Nice....I'll put that into the old data bank for later use.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2010, 06:52:10 AM »
Lol, it was a white guy that told me off for being too polite!  "Nobody talks like that, man."  Huh, maybe they do!

I met so many people in Japan that have been there for 5-10 years and speak like they want to order a beer in the dirtiest bar in the harbor.

Horrible.