Author Topic: Tea Party Frontrunner: Abolish Public Schools  (Read 4724 times)

Ares

• Getbig II
Re: Tea Party Frontrunner: Abolish Public Schools
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
I agree with this.  Give eah parent 15k a year to spend on a private school for the kid.  

No more pension problems, unions, etc.  

Yep, let private schools compete for dollars and you'd see a huge increase in test scores and quality of education since parents could pick the best schools and each school would compete. Plus you can have more schools with various emphasis just like private colleges do now. They still would all teach the basics, but add extra focus on certain subjects like arts magnates schools do now.

You'd have to phase it in of course to allow private schools time to grow and increase in number to meet the demand.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
Nah It wouldn't work, sounds good though but when you think about it, they will eventually turn into the Walmarts of education similar to the governments version we have now.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 02:58:12 AM »
I've read a little on Wiki and elsewhere about US, Jap and other school systems.

This much seems evident:

*USA spends as much as Switzerland on the public school system (#1).

*Public schools have fewer teachers than private schools. Ie, there are more non-teachers, eg administrators, sports team coaches et al hired at public schools.

So it's not really the funding that is the problem.

The problem is probably how the money is being used. Too many administrators, too many football coaches... Just too many people not teaching.
As empty as paradise

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 07:08:40 AM »
We need some more "Crazy" Joe Clark types, running the public schools. Maybe then, the quality of education will pick up.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 07:27:27 AM »
We need some more "Crazy" Joe Clark types, running the public schools. Maybe then, the quality of education will pick up.

Exactly.  We don't want a good principle.  We want Mr. Clark!

"You smoke crack, dontcha boy?" 

Y

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
LOL
You're gonna kill the school system and replace it with home schooling?
LMFAO.
Good luck with that.
When shit couldn't get any dumber... FFS.

Aside from the fact that most ppl saying this don't understand what home schooling actually entails, or the limitations to social development...

They fail to think about what happens when every 2-income home in america suddenly becomes a 1-income family, as someone has to actually stay home and do the schooling. 

Not to mention the 6 and 1/2 million Americans who currently work as teachers who would suddenly be out of work.  And the support staff, bus drivers, etc...

;)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
Aside from the fact that most ppl saying this don't understand what home schooling actually entails, or the limitations to social development...

They fail to think about what happens when every 2-income home in america suddenly becomes a 1-income family, as someone has to actually stay home and do the schooling.  

Not to mention the 6 and 1/2 million Americans who currently work as teachers who would suddenly be out of work.  And the support staff, bus drivers, etc...

;)

It depends on the family. I can tell you firsthand that years ago, my wife and I actually had more money when she didn't work and stayed home, schooling the kids (Less wear and tear on the cars, lower grocery bills, saving money for child care, etc.).

This was especially true, when my youngest daughter was born. Do you know how much child care for infants goes, these days?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »
Exactly.  We don't want a good principle.  We want Mr. Clark!

"You smoke crack, dontcha boy?" 

:)

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »
Charter schools are an awesome alternative right now... Public schools are garbage...

Most public schools here in CA are nothing more than day care for wetback mexicans. All the white people and higher end hispanics send kids to private/charter schools.

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 03:45:36 AM »
Most public schools here in CA are nothing more than day care for wetback mexicans. All the white people and higher end hispanics send kids to private/charter schools.

I went to public school, private school and than graduated from a charter high school.

Our local public schools are unbelievable...  :-X
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 04:25:20 AM »
Like everything else the govt does - they are failure factories.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 06:41:45 AM »
Charter schools are an awesome alternative right now... Public schools are garbage...
My son graduated from a charter high school 2 years ago.  They are a good deal as long as they get too big.  It's one of the better things california did.