Author Topic: Broken/smashed collarbone  (Read 4715 times)

Old Pig

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Broken/smashed collarbone
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:37:41 AM »
3 weeks ago, my collarbone got smashed when I got hit by a car while crossing the road. two days later the doc performed surgery in which he placed a metal plate and 7 screws into my collarbone to keep the bits together. He expects that I have to go with this place for a minimum of 18 months before I can even think about getting it out because collarbone is too weak as it was more smashed to bits than having a couple of nice fractures. I expect to carry arm in a sling for 6 weeks minimum but can do stationary bike or walking (with arm in sling), no running

Anyone having experience with similar incidents? How are you feeling now in the aftermath? Able to regain range of motion and strength? Any particular exercises/stretches? How soon after incident were you able to start working out again, etc?

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: Broken/smashed collarbone
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
No experience w/this (thank God!) ...glad it wasn't worse for you.

When does your doc say you can workout?  Seems like you should take it easy for a long time at least lifting-wise.   Maybe you could take walks?
R

Old Pig

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Broken/smashed collarbone
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:58:05 AM »
Thanks! Lucky that it didn't go even worse.

i can ride a stationary bike or walk with arm in a sling, so getting some "action". new check up on Oct 4 again to see how it goes. problem was that one screw had stripped the threads in the bone so it moves 2-3 mm in/out of the bone when/if i move my arm. i would guess a few months months before starting to lift light weights again.