Author Topic: Mark Madden's thoughts this week:  (Read 2137 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Mark Madden's thoughts this week:
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:19:26 AM »
I thought this to be one of Madden's better rants - particularly with regards to Y2J.

THE LAST REAL PROFESSIONAL

In my daily guise as highly-paid sports-talk radio “Super Genius,” I hate sports halls of fame. HATE ‘EM. Halls of fame are a subjective way of reclassifying what happened objectively. Numbers speak for themselves. Voters are human, and thus indulge agendas.

Pro wrestling halls of fame are no less silly. It’s a phony sport. What do you recognize, who won the most fake matches?

If pro wrestling has one hall of fame hovering close to legit, however, it’s the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame. Dave Meltzer has been wrestling’s journalist of record for 30 years. He’s human, but serves less agendas than most.

The WWE Hall of Fame? Don’t make me laugh. Bruno Sammartino should be in, whether he wants to or not. Meanwhile, Johnny Rodz is in. It’s a joke.

I vote for Meltzer’s Hall of Fame. I try to not serve agendas. For example, I voted for the Midnight Express last year (they got in). I would rather have a banana shoved up my rectum than further honor Jim Cornette, but right is right. Besides, I like Bobby.

This year, I’m voting for three guys I voted for last year: Chris Jericho, Ivan Koloff and Rey Mysterio. Swayed by a recent Bruce Mitchell screed in Pro Wrestling Torch, I’m also voting for The Assassins. Great promos, legitimate long-term main-event tag team, made lesser foes and, most intriguingly, did it all while wearing masks, no small feat in United States wrestling.

Mysterio’s qualifications are obvious, especially given his salad days in Mexico. Koloff was the best Russian ever. As bent as the Soviet sickle, as hard as the hammer that crossed it. The fact that Vince McMahon Sr. picked Koloff to beat Sammartino for the WWWF title in 1971 shows how much respect Koloff had in his prime. As Nikita Koloff’s uncle, he made the largely useless Nikita seem much better than he was, although Ivan’s rep may have suffered because he did mucho jobs on behalf of Nikita.

As for Jericho, he has spent a decent portion of his career being the best performer in the world’s biggest company. He got off steroids and remained a star. Could Cena? Could Hunter?

But rather than list all of Jericho’s qualifications, then pontificate thereof, I’d rather point out his historical significance: Jericho is the last of the true professional wrestlers. The last guy who truly learned the craft properly, expanded upon his repertoire by working in a host of promotions and genres, then used what he had learned to develop (and protect) his character and drawing power once he finally hit the big time for an extended stay.

These days a WWE or TNA wrestler is considered to have a long resume if he worked in WCW, ECW or Smoky Mountain. Jericho worked in all three, starred in all three, and worked in Calgary, Germany, Japan and Mexico besides. Jericho WATCHED. He LISTENED. He LEARNED. He incorporates nuances from everywhere he’s worked into his current style. When Jericho is a heel, he’s a REAL HEEL. No cool catchphrases. No trying to divide the crowd.

Jericho understands, respects and executes the business on a consistent basis better than anyone in wrestling today.

Jericho is not only worthy of THIS honor – when his career ends, there’s every chance he’ll be remembered among the very best.

Of course, credit for a lot of that goes to Ralphus.

DIXIE, MEET DUSTY

Ric Flair’s promos regarding EV2 are not only excellent, they’re venomous well beyond Flair’s usual norm. Flair has ZERO respect for these losers, and he makes that very easy to figure.

And why should Flair respect EV2? They look like rejects from a carnival midway. Never drew a dime. Their claim to fame is a bingo hall. All they ever were, Paul Heyman made them, and he’s not around right now. Tommy Dreamer, a threat to ANYTHING having to do with Ric Flair? It’s silly. Flair knows it. He radiates it.

Throughout history, Flair always built up opponents. That way, when he beat them, he was beating somebody. Flair even did it with foes that were beneath him. I remember him making Jimmy Valiant sound like a million bucks. Rufus R. Jones, too.

Flair won’t do that for EV2. That reveals a lot.

Since I’m drawing parallels with the past, how about when Flair called Dixie Carter “drop-dead gorgeous”? It reminded me of when Flair used to put over Dusty Rhodes’ athleticism. EV2 sucks. But Dixie’s the boss. You go along to get along.

Wade Keller of Pro Wrestling Torch recently wrote that Impact is becoming the Dixie Carter Show, noting that she even has her own entrance music. Dixie isn’t demanding that. The writers are scripting that. It’s called “massaging the money mark.” Keep those paychecks coming!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Mark Madden's thoughts this week:
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:08:02 AM »
This rant is spot on. Especially the views on Jericho.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:14:33 AM »
I also like Madden's columns because I don't have to spend 20 minutes editing them before posting them here - as I always so dilligently do for you loveless bastards!
 :D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:44:23 AM »
I’ve always liked Awesome Kong as a performer. She’s DIFFERENT.

Every other diva/knockout is so cookie-cutter. Sure, some have better bolt-ons, some have better posteriors, and they’re all some degree of attractive. Some can work, most can’t. The majority lack personality. In short, WWE and TNA are saturated with a bunch of girls you mostly can’t tell apart.

You can do so much more with an ugly fat girl than you can with a Barbie doll. You can do so much more with Kong than you can with, say, Kelly Kelly.

By the way, no apologies for calling Kong ugly and fat. Takes one to know one. And she wouldn’t have her new job with WWE if she wasn’t big and grotesque.

Ugly fat girl squashes Barbie dolls: MAJOR HEAT. Implied lesbian interest in Barbie dolls: MAJOR HEAT, kinda hot. One Barbie doll gets MAJOR PUSH by finally beating ugly fat girl. Ugly fat girl falls in love with, then stalks twinky-looking boy toy: MAJOR LAUGHS. Ugly fat girl wrestles, then beats twinky-looking boy toy: LAUGHS/HEAT. Actually, I’m not any of this works, but I’m CERTAIN the typical diva/knockout crap DOESN’T.

Look at the Ted DiBiase/Maryse alliance: Hot girl tolerates rich guy by way of living the high life. I see that every day at any variety of places. Maryse is SUPER HOT, but once you’ve seen her, you’ve seen her.

I hope Kong chains Maryse in her basement, then pounds DiBiase. The big and black attack is back!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
So, it's confirmed she's signed with the Fed?

Bertha Faye v2.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »
So, it's confirmed she's signed with the Fed?

Bertha Faye v2.
Yup.

Mass & Montague....10-1 she gets buried and jobs to McCool after the first two months she is there.  ;) Not a Vince creation.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
Yup.

Mass & Montague....10-1 she gets buried and jobs to McCool after the first two months she is there.  ;) Not a Vince creation.
I agree lol. Just to play devils advocate, I don't think she's a big enough name for them to bury. Vince didn't create her, but most mainstream fans don't know who she is, so it won't matter if he didn't have a hand in "making" her before she got there. unlike Sting, DDP etc.. I don't really pay attention to the women's matches, but from what I've seen the division has gotten better. Underneath Madden's douchey tone he makes some good points. She's a complete 180 looks wise of all the other girls, so that will get the audience immediately, even if they aren't familiar with her. Dump all the bimbos, you have

Beth
Nattie
Kong
Melina
McCool
Maryse
Not a bad division