Author Topic: Diminished Reality: Impressive Video Manipulation In Real-Time (Video)  (Read 3324 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Give this some thought for a moment. Imagine you could manipulate real time video with a new type of software that can make things appear or DISAPPEAR at will...EVEN IN LIVE VIDEO. The implications are a bit frightening especially when dealing with a criminal justice system or someone who has an agenda to implicate a person for a crime. A live video can be manipulated to make a person appear guilty of comminting and act or having a device that they actually do not. I like new technology, but i also imagine the nefarious uses that the new technology may be used for..Watch Video

Diminished Reality: Impressive Video Manipulation In Real-Time (Video)

by Serkan Toto on October 21, 2010

Scary or cool? This technology developed by a team of researchers at Technische Universität Ilmenau in Germany is probably both. Their so-called “Diminished Reality” system makes it possible to manipulate video in real-time. As opposed to Augmented Reality, which adds virtual objects to real world images, Diminished Reality removes selected objects from video recordings.

The way it works is that first, the object to be eliminated from the footage has to be specified and detected. After that, the system analyzes the immediate surroundings of the object, for example the look of a table it was standing on, and fills out the empty space with that information.

According to the researchers behind this Diminished Reality application, this process just takes a few milliseconds and works both for video streams and static pictures.

This pretty impressive video provides more insight:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/10/21/diminished-reality-impressive-video-manipulation-in-real-time-video/
C

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Diminished Reality: Impressive Video Manipulation In Real-Time (Video)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:26:49 AM »
Remember the old Stalin photos?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »
On 1080 resolution, which soon will be the standard everywhere it would be hard to make that work.  For example the video comparison of the drainage grate looked obvious.

Pretty labor intensive having to do it with every frame.  I thought they found a way to key-frame only sections of the frame.

How could they do it live?

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »
On 1080 resolution, which soon will be the standard everywhere it would be hard to make that work.  For example the video comparison of the drainage grate looked obvious.

Pretty labor intensive having to do it with every frame.  I thought they found a way to key-frame only sections of the frame.

How could they do it live?

Most "LIVE" video is actually delayed by about 15 to 20 seconds before it actually reaches a television, so they actually will have some time to correct errors. Also keep this in mind this is NEW software...I am sure updates will make almost anything possible in the very near future.
C

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
Most "LIVE" video is actually delayed by about 15 to 20 seconds before it actually reaches a television, so they actually will have some time to correct errors. Also keep this in mind this is NEW software...I am sure updates will make almost anything possible in the very near future.

I don't doubt it could actually be done eventually.  However, it think it would be a long time if not impossible for them to do it undetectably.

Hell, with moore's law applied to graphics, in 20 years they should be able to create cgi undetectable to the human eye.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 08:44:25 PM »
Write me when I can use it to do housework.  :D
w

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Write me when I can use it to do housework.  :D

You'll have to use this in the mean time

C