Author Topic: LANDSLIDE & TSUNAMI - GOP takes over 19 State Legislatures. Dems - ZERO.  (Read 7914 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: LANDSLIDE & TSUNAMI - GOP takes over 19 State Legislatures. Dems - ZERO.
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
just like all tax cuts

if you give me a tax cut I keep it or maybe spend it on something but if I own a company it doesn't in any way motivate me to higher an employee or create a job.

The whole tax cuts = stimulus is a canard and the Repubs know it

I think at this point people want some degree of certainty.  Personally, i favor a national sales tax instead of an income tax, but thats me.  As for the Stim Bill  - it was a lot of money not focused, targeted, or geared towards anything meaningful IMHO.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »

I think at this point people want some degree of certainty.  Personally, i favor a national sales tax instead of an income tax, but thats me.  As for the Stim Bill  - it was a lot of money not focused, targeted, or geared towards anything meaningful IMHO.   

good luck with certaintly from either party

Repubs better come up with some plans quick because the stim bill actually propped up many of their states and we know they aren't going to approve a second round.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it when states start laying off teachers, cops, firefighters etc.. and when more and more people lose unemployment benefits

I hope for their sake they have some secret plan they haven't told anyone about yet

Skip8282

• Getbig V

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »

if you give me a tax cut I keep it or maybe spend it on something but if I own a company it doesn't in any way motivate me to higher an employee or create a job.

Have to agree with you there.  It seems they would hire based on demand for their product.  But, I'm not a business man so I'll let you guys argue that one.  It just seems counterintuitive that tax cuts would translate into more hiring.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2010, 02:35:47 PM »
good luck with certaintly from either party

Repubs better come up with some plans quick because the stim bill actually propped up many of their states and we know they aren't going to approve a second round.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it when states start laying off teachers, cops, firefighters etc.. and when more and more people lose unemployment benefits

I hope for their sake they have some secret plan they haven't told anyone about yet

ha ha ha-  I have been talking about this for months.    once the stim bill money runs out - what do we do?    Most of the public unios won't accept a pay decrease or decrease in benes.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »
ha ha ha-  I have been talking about this for months.    once the stim bill money runs out - what do we do?    Most of the public unios won't accept a pay decrease or decrease in benes.  

simple

we blame the Republicans

they better figure something out quick because once people start to get layed off and uemployment goes up Obama is going to go on TV and say the Republican are blocking his efforts to fix the problems and people will finally figure out what they voted for yesterday

Mabye Boehner can go on the floor of the House and cry again

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
simple

we blame the Republicans

they better figure something out quick because once people start to get layed off and uemployment goes up Obama is going to go on TV and say the Republican are blocking his efforts to fix the problems and people will finally figure out what they voted for yesterday

Mabye Boehner can go on the floor of the House and cry again

;D   ;D  ;D

See straw - now you are going to get you laughs out of this charade.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010, 02:57:35 PM »
;D   ;D  ;D

See straw - now you are going to get you laughs out of this charade.   

what part don't you agree with?

when people who voted for Repubs start feeling more pain than they feel now who do you think they will blame?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2010, 02:59:25 PM »

when people who voted for Repubs start feeling more pain than they feel now who do you think they will blame?

You are right, cant disagree with you on that.  But, to be serious for a second - once the stim bill money ends, states like Cali and NY are in for a real rude awakening when the public employee unions refuse to negotiate anything and tax payers refuse any more tax hikes.     

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »
You are right, cant disagree with you on that.  But, to be serious for a second - once the stim bill money ends, states like Cali and NY are in for a real rude awakening when the public employee unions refuse to negotiate anything and tax payers refuse any more tax hikes.     

they'll have to negotiate but we still have a pretty decent economy and I believe I just saw a report recently that employment in the bay area was rising for the first time in a couple of years.

It's the deep red states full of people who voted for Repubs that are going to feel the most pain

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »

You're dead-on, they can't play obstructionists at this point.  But, that doesn't mean rolling over on everything either.  Clinton managed to work it out, we'll see how Barry does.  Negotiation doesn't appear to be his strong point in my opinion.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2010, 03:07:33 PM »
they'll have to negotiate but we still have a pretty decent economy and I believe I just saw a report recently that employment in the bay area was rising for the first time in a couple of years.

It's the deep red states full of people who voted for Repubs that are going to feel the most pain

i don't know about cali, but property taxes are what funds the schools and muni services here and we pay the highest taxes in the nation as it is.  I think we used 3 billion of stim bill money last year to prop up these budgets.  

We are in for a mess next year in NY.    

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »

You're dead-on, they can't play obstructionists at this point.  But, that doesn't mean rolling over on everything either.  Clinton managed to work it out, we'll see how Barry does.  Negotiation doesn't appear to be his strong point in my opinion.

Obama wasted his first two years trying to be bipartisan

Repubs have already signalled no negotiation on anything (just as they've done the last 2 years)

All they have to do is find a way to fix the economy, job market and budget deficit and they'll be fine

how hard can that be?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »

Repubs have already signalled no negotiation on anything (just as they've done the last 2 years)

All they have to do is find a way to fix the economy, job market and budget deficit and they'll be fine

how hard can that be?

Helicopter Ben seems to be ready willing and able.    ha ha ha ha.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »

Have to agree with you there.  It seems they would hire based on demand for their product.  But, I'm not a business man so I'll let you guys argue that one.  It just seems counterintuitive that tax cuts would translate into more hiring.

Nah.  Anytime you decrease the cost of doing business, the business has the potential to grow.  When the business grows, it needs more employees. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
Nah.  Anytime you decrease the cost of doing business, the business has the potential to grow.  When the business grows, it needs more employees.  

it may have a potential at a higher profit but it doesn't stimulate more demand unless they lower prices and that might pull in more customers

Given that Bush gave out the largest tax cut in history (not counting the stimulus package) it didn't seem to do anything to stimulate demand or create jobs.

All it did was make the wealthy even wealthier

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »

how hard can that be?

Obama didn't do shit for bipartisanship.  Their "inclusiveness" was essentially, "Well, we want your support, but you have to agree to everything we say".  At times Repubs were not included in meetings and blocked from floor debate.  Repubs have used the same tactics, of course.  But acting as though Barry attempted bipartisanship - HA.  More revisionist history.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »

Obama didn't do shit for bipartisanship.  Their "inclusiveness" was essentially, "Well, we want your support, but you have to agree to everything we say".  At times Repubs were not included in meetings and blocked from floor debate.  Repubs have used the same tactics, of course.  But acting as though Barry attempted bipartisanship - HA.  More revisionist history.

to deny he attempted it is ridiculous

go back and look at the news stories of people in his own party criticizing him for doing so.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
to deny he attempted it is ridiculous

go back and look at the news stories of people in his own party criticizing him for doing so.

Straw - he started out from a completely unteneable position. 

What if the GOP wants to repeal all abortion laws and goes to the dems and say "do you want in on this?"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »
Worse Than It Seems (Census favors GOP nominee in 2012)
The Weekly Standard ^ | 11/6/2010 | Victorino Matus

________________________ ________________________ _______________________

Bad enough for the Democrats that they just lost their House majority and saw their Senate advantage tumble from 60 seats two years ago to 53 (it could have been worse), but now they must brace for the effects of the 2010 Census. As the Washington Post's Charles Lane reminds us,

Since the U.S. population continues to flow South and West, reapportionment will probably add House seats in red states and subtract them in blue states. Thus, the Census looks like a setback for Democratic chances to win the 270 electoral votes necessary to become president.

Texas, which has voted Republican in 9 of the last 10 elections will gain 4 electoral votes, according to projections from preliminary Census data by Polidata.com. The other gainers—one vote each—include Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, South Carolina and Utah. All of these states have voted for the GOP candidate in at least 7 of the last 10 elections.... Meanwhile, eight states that usually go blue in presidential elections—Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Minnesota—are projected to lose one electoral vote each.

Or in other words,

Take the 22 states that voted for John McCain as the GOP base in the 2012 presidential election. That base is about to grow from 173 electoral votes to 180. And if Republicans hold it, they could get to 271 by carrying just six more states—Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Indiana, Virginia and Nevada—each of which has voted GOP in a majority of the last ten elections.

As it happens, all six of these states, except for North Carolina, will have Republican governors next year, and all six, except for Nevada, will have Republican state legislatures.

Sounds eminently doable.

It's like a trap has been set. From here, you will witness the final destruction of the Alliance and the end of your insignificant rebellion!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 6, 2010
Rightward, March: The Midterm Exit Polls
By BILL MARSH and MARJORIE CONNELLY
www.nyt.com

How bad was it for Democrats last week? By nearly every demographic measure, the party lost ground, significantly in some cases.

The result was the largest reshuffling of the House of Representatives in 50 years.

For the first time since 1982, when exit polls began measuring support for Congressional candidates, Republicans received a majority of women’s votes. Two years ago, House Democratic candidates won women by 14 points.

Catholics, independents and voters age 60 and older also sided with Republicans by margins not seen since 1982.

Independent voters, a key to President Obama’s election two years ago, turned sharply to the G.O.P. Republicans also won more support than usual from reliably Democratic constituencies: less affluent and less educated voters, urbanites and voters from the nation’s East and West. A notable exception was black voters, who continued to support Democrats in strong numbers.

The generational divide exposed in the 2008 election was more pronounced. Voters under 30 were the only age group to support Democrats but made up just 11 percent of the electorate, typical for a midterm election. By contrast, voters aged 60 and older represented 34 percent of voters, their highest proportion in exit polls since 1982.

Experts said that about 42 percent of voters had cast ballots, which is typical for a midterm election. — Marjorie Connelly

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2010, 05:42:23 AM »
November 8, 2010
A President Who Simply Doesn't Get It
By Jack Kelly

www.realclearpolitics.co m

________________________ ______________

Democrats who didn't drown in the Republican wave had to be dismayed by the news conference President Barack Obama held Wednesday before jetting off to India.

Particularly unhappy, I suspect, are the 12 Democrats in the Senate from states that voted Republican Tuesday who are up for re-election in 2012.

In essence, what the president said (in many, many more words) is that he heard what the voters were saying, but would ignore it.

"The election was above all a referendum on the president's policies, but his big takeaway was not to relitigate his agenda," noted Peter Wehner, who was an aide to President George W. Bush.

"He still just cannot admit that his radical policies and their effects on the economy are the cause of his devastating political rebuke," wrote the historian Victor Davis Hanson.

How devastating was the rebuke? Republicans gained at least 61 seats in the House. (At this writing, 11 races were undecided.) In the Republican landslide of 1994, the GOP gained 52 seats. In the Republican landslide of 1946, the GOP gained 55 seats. There will be more Republicans in the House in January than at any time since 1947.

"Get used to Republican control of the House of Representatives. It's going to stay that way for a long time," Jonathan Chait advised readers of the liberal New Republic.

Most congressional districts lean Republican because Democrats are concentrated in cities and university towns. And Republicans did spectacularly well in races for governor and state legislative seats. These are the people who will redraw congressional district boundaries next year.

"Partisan gerrymandering can be an extremely powerful tool, and combined with the natural geographic gerrymander can give Republicans an overwhelming advantage, if not an absolute lock," Mr. Chait said.

The bad news for Republicans is that Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., is still the Senate majority leader. His victory, coupled with an upset in Colorado, likely held the Republican gain in the Senate to "only" six. (At this writing, the race in Washington state is still unsettled. So is the race in Alaska, but that's a contest between two Republicans.)

On the other hand, the good news for Republicans is that Harry Reid is still the Senate majority leader. Mr. Reid was not effective when Democrats had a filibuster-proof majority, and he is nearly as unpopular as outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who may be ousted as Democratic leader after the drubbing her troops took Tuesday. It's good for Republicans to have at least one figure Americans love to hate leading the Democrats in Congress.

Leading the Senate is like herding cats. Sen. Reid would have difficulty even if he were more competent. He has a sharply diminished majority in a body where 60 votes are required to pass anything substantive. And Democrats running in 2012 figure to be skittish about casting votes like those which cost so many of their colleagues their seats this year. Sen. Reid's control is more nominal than real.

But that nominal control is important, in a bad way for Democrats. Harry Truman was able to counter the Republican landslide of 1946 with a landslide of his own in 1948 by running against a "do nothing" Congress. With Democrats in control of the Senate, this would be hard for Mr. Obama to do even if he possessed Truman's political skills, which he does not.

With Mr. Obama willing to make only cosmetic changes to his agenda, we're headed for two years of gridlock. The House will pass bills to repeal Obamacare and reduce the size of government. These will be killed in the Senate or vetoed by the president.

But a clear choice will be established for 2012, for which the midterms were merely the preliminary bout.

The new electoral map is daunting for Mr. Obama as he contemplates re-election. Ohio, Florida and Wisconsin turned red, Pennsylvania and Michigan pink. It's difficult for a Democrat to be elected without carrying Ohio or Florida, impossible without Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Perhaps the most significant contributor to the Republican landslide Tuesday was the defection from the Democrats of working class whites. If Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee in 2012, there will be little reason for them to return.

I suspect many Democrats think they'd be better off with someone else.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2010, 06:05:13 AM »
November 8, 2010
The Depth & Breadth of GOP Victories
By Michael Barone
www.realclearpolitics.co m

________________________ ____________________

Let's try to put some metrics on last Tuesday's historic election. Two years ago, the popular vote for House of Representatives was 54 percent Democratic and 43 percent Republican. That may sound close, but in historic perspective it's a landslide. Democrats didn't win the House popular vote in the South, as they did from the 1870s up through 1992. But they won a larger percentage in the 36 non-Southern states than -- well, as far as I can tell, than ever before.

This year, we don't yet know the House popular vote down to the last digit, partly because California takes five weeks these days to count all its votes (Brazil, which voted last Sunday, counted its votes in less than five hours). But the exit poll had it at 52 percent Republican and 46 percent Democratic, which is probably within a point or so of the final number.

That's similar to 1994, and you have to go back to 1946 and 1928 to find years when Republicans did better. And the numbers those years aren't commensurate, since the then-segregated and Democratic South cast few popular votes. So you could argue that this is the best Republican showing ever.

Nationally, Republicans narrowly missed winning Senate seats in heavily Democratic Washington and in Nevada and California, where less problematic nominees might have won. As in all wave years, they missed winning half a dozen House seats by a whisker (or a suddenly discovered bunch of ballots).

But they made really sweeping gains in state legislatures, where candidate quality makes less difference. According to the National Conference on State Legislatures, Republicans gained about 125 seats in state senates and 550 seats in state houses -- 675 seats in total. That gives them more seats than they've won in any year since 1928.

Republicans snatched control of about 20 legislative houses from Democrats -- and by margins that hardly any political insiders expected. Republicans needed five seats for a majority in the Pennsylvania House and won 15; they needed four seats in the Ohio House and got 13; they needed 13 in the Michigan House and got 20; they needed two in the Wisconsin Senate and four in the Wisconsin House, and gained four and 14; they needed five in the North Carolina Senate and nine in the North Carolina House and gained 11 and 15.

All those gains are hugely significant in redistricting. When the 2010 Census results are announced next month, the 435 House seats will be reapportioned to the states, and state officials will draw new district lines in each state. Nonpartisan commissions authorized by voters this year will do the job in (Democratic) California and (Republican) Florida, but in most states it's up to legislators and governors (although North Carolina's governor cannot veto redistricting bills).

Republicans look to have a bigger advantage in this redistricting cycle than they've ever had before. It appears that in the states that will have more than five districts (you can make only limited partisan difference in smaller states), Republicans will control redistricting in 13 states with a total of 165 House districts and Democrats will have control in only four states with a total of 40 districts. You can add Minnesota (seven or eight districts) to the first list if the final count gives Republicans the governorship and New York (27 or 28 districts) to the second list if the final count gives Democrats the state Senate.

When the tea party movement first made itself heard, Speaker Nancy Pelosi dismissed it as "Astroturf," a phony organization financed by a few millionaires. She may have been projecting -- those union demonstrators you see at Democratic events or heckling Republicans are often paid by the hour.

In any case, the depth and the breadth of Republican victories in state legislative races, even more than their gain of 60-plus seats in the U.S. House and six seats in the Senate, shows that the tea party movement was a genuine popular upheaval of vast dimensions. Particularly in traditional blue-collar areas, voters rejected longtime Democrats or abandoned lifelong partisan allegiances and elected Republicans.

This will make a difference not just in redistricting. State governments face budget crunches and are supposed to act to help roll out Obamacare. Republican legislatures can cut spending and block the rollout.

"I won," Barack Obama told Republican leaders seeking concessions last year. This year, he didn't.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
(WaPo:) Bad news Democrats _ 2012 could be worse than 2010
Washington comPost ^ | 11/9/2010 | CHARLES BABINGTON

________________________ ________________________ ______________________

Last week's election was bad for Democrats. The next one could be worse.

Senate Democrats running in 2012 will be trying to hold their jobs in states where Republicans just scored major congressional and gubernatorial victories - Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Mexico and Virginia.

The Democrats' problems don't end with senators.

President Barack Obama carried those states in 2008, and he will need most of them to win re-election in two years. But this time they all will have Republican governors. These GOP governors can try to inhibit the president's policies and campaign operations. They also can help steer next year's once-a-decade House redistricting process in the GOP's favor.

Moreover, Democrats must defend Senate seats in hotly contested Missouri, and in four states that Obama has little chance of winning, assuming he even tries: North Dakota, Nebraska, West Virginia and Montana.

"The 2012 Senate landscape shows a daunting picture for the Democrats," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, chairman of the GOP's Senate campaign committee. "They're not only defending twice as many seats as Republicans, but a number of them are in states where the Obama-Reid agenda is deeply unpopular."

Harry Reid of Nevada is the Senate majority leader.

The 2012 Senate map is much kinder to Republicans, who must defend 10 seats to the Democrats' 23. Except for Republican Sen. Scott Brown, who will fight an uphill re-election battle in Massachusetts, the GOP probably will be favored to keep the Senate seats it now holds.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »
Anatomy of the Most Crushing Democratic Loss in U.S. House Since 1894 

Edited on Wed Nov-10-10 12:43 AM by Time for change

Going into the 2010 Midterm elections, the Democratic Party held 255 House seats, to the Republican Party’s 178 (2 seats were vacant). Following the November 2 elections, as of this writing, the Democrats hold 190 seats to the Republicans’ 239, with 6 seats pending final results. That comes to a Democratic loss of 65 seats and a Republican gain of 61 seats, pending the results of the final 6. In the end, the Democratic loss will be anywhere from 59 to 65 seats. They also lost 6 Senate seats.

Arguably, this represents the worst defeat for the Democratic Party in the U.S. House since 1894, the midterm of the second presidential administration of Grover Cleveland – a year in which the Democratic Party lost 116 House seats and 5 Senate seats, to lose control of both Houses of Congress. Here is a capsule summary of the worst Democratic Congressional losses since that time:

1894 – Lost 116 House seats; lost 5 Senate seats; lost control of both Houses of Congress
1912 – Lost 59 House seats; gained 5 Senate seats; maintained control of both Houses
1920 – Lost 59 House seats; lost 10 Senate seats; GOP maintained control of both Houses
1938 – Lost 71 House seats; lost 6 Senate seats; but maintained huge majorities in both Houses
1946 – Lost 55 House seats; lost 12 Senate seats; lost control of both Houses
1994 – Lost 54 House seats; lost 9 Senate seats; lost control of both Houses
2010 – Lost 59-65 House seats; lost 6 Senate seats; lost control of House but not Senate

So 2010 was the first time since 1894 that the Democrats lost 59 or more House seats and lost control of the House. And what makes it all the more devastating is the far right-wing extremism of so many of the incoming Republicans. Therefore it is important to understand the political dynamics of the Democratic loss.

Overview of 2010 Democratic loss of House seats

The 2010 U.S. House elections involved 171 incumbent Republicans running for re-election. 169 of them (99%) won. There were also 24 seats in which no incumbent ran. Republicans won 21 (87%) of those seats. Democratic incumbents fared far worse than Republican incumbents, losing 49 of 240 seats (20%), with another 6 (2%) still pending. Let’s consider some of the factors involved in the loss of so many seats held by Democratic incumbents.

Role of partisanship
Far and away the most important single variable in the loss of seats held by Democratic incumbents was the conservative nature of the districts in which most of the seats were lost.

The Cook Partisan Voting Index (PVI) is a measure of how the Congressional Districts voted in the last two presidential elections. Of the 240 House elections in which Democratic incumbents won, 184 represented House districts with Democratic PVIs. The Democratic incumbents didn’t fare too terribly in those districts, winning 172 (93%) and losing 10 (5%), with 2 (1%) pending. But in the 58 House districts with Republican PVIs, the Democratic incumbents lost 39 seats (67%) and won only 15 (26%), with 4 pending. In summary, given the mood of this year’s electorate, the PVI alone statistically predicted 84% of the results among Democratic House incumbents.

Therefore, what mostly happened in 2010 was that Democrats from conservative districts lost seats that they had won in 2006 and 2008 when the Democratic Party fared much better. Indeed more than half of the 54 member Blue Dog coalition was wiped out in this election.

Role of voting patterns
The National Journal ranked all but 8 of the 240 Democrats running for reelection in the House according to their tendency to vote in a liberal direction on economic, social, and foreign affairs legislation. Those rankings demonstrated virtually no statistical effect on the likelihood of those Democrats maintaining their seats. The incumbent Democrats from the more liberal districts tended to vote substantially more liberally in all three categories, whereas those from the more conservative districts tended to vote more conservatively in all three categories. So those voting patterns don’t tell us a great deal. Had those from the more liberal districts voted more conservatively than they did, or had those from the more conservative districts voted more liberally than they did, both group probably would have lost more seats.

However, their votes on the health care reform bill and Obama’s TARP plan did have some statistically significant effect – a negative effect for a “yes” vote. Actually, those who voted for that legislation were substantially more likely to hold on to their seats. But that’s just because those who voted for them were mainly from the more liberal districts. It was the Democrats from the conservative districts whose seats were in great jeopardy, and for those Democrats a vote for Obama’s health care bill, and to a lesser extent his TARP plan, increased their likelihood of losing their seat. Evaluation of the health care vote in addition to the TARP vote and the PVI increased the statistical power to predict the election results from 84% to 88%. None of the other voting patterns noted above significantly added predictive power.

What the exit polls tell us

Much of the exit poll data tells us what we already knew. Voters who were most likely to vote Democratic were young, poor, women, black or Latino, members of labor unions, liberal, not very religious, and were either the least educated of the electorate (high school dropouts) or the most educated (graduate school degrees). But some of the polling data was much more interesting:

The Obama factor
The exit polls show that voters who disapprove of Obama’s handling his job as president outnumbered those who approve by 54% to 45%, and that those who strongly disapprove outnumber those who strongly approve by 40% to 23%. More important, the 40% who strongly disapproved voted for the Republican House candidate by a whopping margin of 92% to 6%.

Furthermore, 37% of respondents specifically indicated that their vote was meant to express opposition to Obama (compared to 24% whose vote was meant to express support for Obama). Those voters voted Republican for their House candidate by a margin of 93% to 5%.

Opinion of the Republican Party
Responses to voter opinion of the Republican Party were especially interesting. Only 42% said that they had a favorable view of the Republican Party, compared to 52% who said that they had an unfavorable view of the Republican Party. Those responses were very similar to an analogous question regarding the Democratic Party – 43% of respondents said they had a favorable view of the Democratic Party.

One might think that the fact that the opinions of voters of the two parties were almost identical would have foretold a very close election for the House, rather than the huge Republican victory that unfolded. But those who held an unfavorable view of the Republican Party nevertheless voted for Republicans 23% of the time (compared to 10% of those who held an unfavorable view of Democrats voting for Democrats). Why would 23% of voters who held an unfavorable view of Republicans nevertheless vote for Republicans? A powerful clue to the answer to that question comes from responses to the questions about the economy.

Concern about the economy
Half of all respondents said that they were very worried about economic conditions (and another 36% were somewhat worried). Those voters voted overwhelmingly for Republicans – 70% to 28%. That finding should not be too surprising. Economic conditions have been very poor in our country for the last couple of years, and it makes sense that Democrats would be blamed for that, given that they have controlled both the presidency and Congress for nearly the past two years.

But it appears that voters did not blame the Democrats for the economy as much as the above considerations would lead one to think. In answer to the question “Who do you blame for economic problems”, only 23% blamed Obama, while 29% blamed Bush. But the most interesting responses involved Wall Street, which was blamed for our economic problems by 35% of respondents (Either Congress was not addressed in this poll question, or responses involving Congress were not included in this particular report).

Most important, voters who blamed Wall Street for our economic problems voted Republican by a margin of 56% to 42% – and this group made all the difference in the final election results. Some might think that this result is surprising, since the Republican Party has long been much more Wall Street friendly than the Democratic Party. However, over the last couple of years and beyond, the Democratic Party – both its president and its Congresspersons – has done a very poor job of differentiating itself from the interests of Wall Street. That’s the way that I see it (more on that below), and that’s the way that most voters saw it too. In other words, on an issue that pretty much decided the election, the Democratic Party failed to side with the bulk of the American people over the financial elites who provide a good deal of funding for many of their campaigns – and they apparently paid the price for it. It must be said that neither did the Republican Party side with the American people on economic issues. But the Democrats were in control of both Congress and the presidency, and so they were blamed for it.

A few words about voter suppression

One thing you never see mentioned in election polling articles is voter suppression – even though it is a major factor in many national elections in the United States these days, and probably accounted for George W. Bush’s election “victories” in both 2000 and 2004.

Information on what kinds of voters actually turn out to vote comes from exit polling. So when pollsters make assumptions about registered Democrats being less likely to vote than Republicans, they base those assumptions largely on exit poll data. But with intensive voter suppression activities, many voters who come out to vote, or who attempt to vote, don’t actually vote and aren’t included in the exit polls either.

All types of dirty tricks are used to prevent minorities, the poor, and Democrats in general from voting. Massive organized efforts are made to “challenge” voters in Democratic polling places, thereby slowing down the voting process, causing long voting lines, and causing many voters to leave, either because of time constraints or because of the intimidation itself. In many poor neighborhoods, flyers are passed out with incorrect information on voting times and places, or with threats of imprisonment in order to scare voters away from the polls. This year “Tea Party Patriots” put out an ad that put a $500 bounty on “fraudulent voters”. And they also have used fraudulent computer programs to make voters ineligible to vote, as they did to tens of thousands of Florida voters in 2000 and hundreds of thousands of Ohio voters in 2004.

The vast majority of voter suppression is conducted by Republicans, targeting Democratic voters. And they did it again this year, with Tea Party zealots playing a major role, as demonstrated in this expose written just before the election:

Numerous reports have documented how state GOP chapters, local Tea Party groups and organizations like Americans for Prosperity are mobilizing across the country – holding training sessions and posting instructional videos on their websites about how to challenge suspicious voters. But the right's concern about widespread voter fraud has virtually no basis in empirical reality; a 2007 study by the Brennan Center for Justice found that "an American is more likely to get struck by lightning than impersonate another voter at the polls."

Thus it is that massive organized efforts by thugs to repress voting end up getting interpreted by pollsters as lack of interest in voting by poor and minority Democratic voters.

The bottom line – Connecting the dots to explain the Republican tsunami of 2010

Robert Kuttner, in his book “A Presidency in Peril – The Inside Story of Obama’s Promise, Wall Street’s Power, and the Struggle to Control our Economic Future”, explains the current political problems of the Democratic Party as well as anyone I’ve read – in a chapter titled “Political Malpractice”. The book was published well before the 2010 election:

Opportunity lost
Kuttner discusses how, following the 2006 and 2008 elections, the Democratic Party seemed to be in a great position to oversee a long-standing, if not permanent realignment of major party loyalties in the United States:

The events of 2008 portended a durable partisan realignment (in favor of the Democratic Party), comparable to the Roosevelt realignment of 1932… The political cycle built on conservative social, racial and cultural backlash, which had energized the Nixon, Reagan, and Bush coalitions, was winding down. It was giving way to an economic backlash that played to the natural strength of Democrats… Voters were steadily becoming more tolerant… Gay baiting was no longer a recipe for Republican success. Younger voters were increasingly tolerant of racial diversity, as Obama’s own election underscored….. Young voters were increasingly inclined to support Democrats… Blacks, Hispanics, and other immigrant groups leaned to the Democrats, and their share of the population was increasing, too. Better-educated and professional people tended to vote Democratic… Women voted Democratic by large majorities… More of today’s voters believe it is the responsibility of government to take care of those who can’t take care of themselves… If the Democrats needed one more gift, the unpopularity of the Bush administration, combined with the open disarray of the Republican Party in 2008 and early 2009, surely provided it. Sarah Palin… was an embarrassment to a majority of Americans. Meanwhile, the party of family values was the party of one tawdry sex scandal after another…

So what happened?

Siding with Republicans and the financial elite against the American people
Throughout much of his book, Kuttner discusses how Obama’s policies have favored the financial elite over the vast majority of Americans. He notes how Obama’s solution to the home foreclosure crisis was a program called “Making Home Affordable”, and he comments on that program, comparing it with the Obama administration’s TARP program (the Wall Street bailout).

Several trillions in loans and loan guarantees for the banks, and a grudging $3 billion for the homeowners who had been the banks’ victims (resulting from Obama’s program). As a consequence of the administration’s half measures and failure to move boldly, the mortgage foreclosure crisis is continuing to drive millions of Americans from their homes, depress housing prices… and retard the recovery… Refinancing underwater retail mortgages is comparatively easy. It just requires political will.

Sometimes it’s difficult to discern the difference between siding with financial elites at the expense of the American people vs. simply trying to conciliate Republicans. Obama’s emphasis during his 2010 State of the Union message appeared to be a combination of both, as Obama indicated that deficit reduction would be a priority over stimulation of a stagnant economy. Kuttner comments on that:

The proposal put a damper on Obama’s capacity to deliver new anti-recession spending. With unemployment still rising, the president was plainly signaling that deficit reduction now came first… The freeze was a feeble sop to deficit hawks…

Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman’s response was even more scathing in its criticism:

A spending freeze? That’s the brilliant response of the Obama team… It’s appalling on every level. It’s bad economics, depressing demand when the economy is still suffering from mass unemployment… It’s bad long-run fiscal policy… And it’s a betrayal of everything Obama’s supporters thought they were working for. Just like that, Obama has embraced and validated the Republican world-view… A correspondent writes, “I feel like an idiot for supporting this guy.”

And then there was the infamous “Cat food Commission”, about which Kuttner explains:

To further appease deficit hawks, Obama appointed a deficit-reduction commission – an idea that the Senate had just voted down. The commission was designed by its advocates to bypass usual legislative procedures and compel an up-or-down vote on a deficit reduction package widely expected to slash Social security and Medicare spending. This is, of course, appalling politics. It signals: We had to spend a ton of taxpayer money to rescue the banks and prop up the ruined economy. Now, though you have paid once through the reduced value of your retirement plan and your house, you will pay again through cuts in Medicare and Social Security.

The health care “reform” fiasco
I’ve criticized in great deal Obama’s so-called health care reform, especially with regard to his decision to omit the public option which he had promised during his campaign. Kuttner’s take on this issue is very similar, and he expounds on how Obama’s handling of health care “reform” affected him and his party politically:

Cutting a deal with the insurance and drug companies, not exactly candidates to win popularity contests, associated Obama with profoundly resented interest groups. This was exactly the wrong framing. This battle should have been the president and the people versus the interests. Instead more and more voters concluded that it was the president and the interests versus the people… The interest-group strategy made it impossible to put on the table more fundamental and popular reforms, such as using federal bargaining power to negotiate cheaper drug prices, or having a true public option like Medicare for all. Instead, by embracing a deal that required the government to come up with a trillion dollars of subsidy for the insurance industry, Obama was forced to pursue policies that were justifiably unpopular – such as taxing premiums of people with decent insurance, or compelling people to buy policies that they often couldn’t afford, or diverting money from Medicare…

The bill helped about two-thirds of America’s uninsured, but it did almost nothing for the 85% of Americans with insurance that is becoming more costly and unreliable by the day – except frighten them into believing that what little they have is at increased risk of being taken away

A few words about FDR as a means of comparison
I believe that a comparison of Obama’s approach with that of FDR is highly instructive. Both were faced with what are likely the two greatest financial crises of our nation’s history. There are basically two ways to respond to a crisis or to politically prepare for the next election. One is to fight for legislation and policies that will benefit the vast majority of people. The other is to approach it mainly from a political perspective, acceding to the wishes of powerful elites who have the ability and desire to fund your campaigns, or to fight you if you turn against them. Kuttner explains:

Unlike Obama, Roosevelt was not afraid to take on Republicans for fear of being called a partisan. Nor was he reluctant to take on Wall Street for fear of being called radical. Roosevelt was not intimidated by claims that drastic reforms would “unsettle” financial markets, which were already unsettled to the point of collapse. The point of the New Deal was not to appease money markets, but to remake them – which Roosevelt did. The strategy was not to conciliate the Republican Party, but to outvote it. Virtually all of Roosevelt’s major reforms were enacted over the strenuous opposition of both Wall Street and Republicans in Congress. But it didn’t matter, because the reforms served the people and the goal of a broad recovery. Roosevelt didn’t aspire to consensus at all costs but to help people, and that proved astute politics. Despite the hysterical opposition from the Republican Party and Wall Street, the people reciprocated. In his reelection campaign, Roosevelt carried forty-six (of 48) states.

During that campaign, Roosevelt brilliantly framed the battle as one of the people versus the selfish special interests. He could do this with credibility because his policies were bold enough to yield concrete benefits in people’s lives… Far-right movements trying to rally desperate people kept bumping into folks who loved Roosevelt, because Roosevelt had tangibly improved their lives. Socially conservative citizens who did not think much of Roosevelt’s relatively liberal views on race… nonetheless supported him in droves…

In conclusion
Kuttner explains that when there are no leftist/liberal/progressive forces to address peoples’ problems…

the right fills the gap. It doesn’t matter that their diagnoses make no sense or that their remedies fail. Anxious and frightened people seek scapegoats and simple explanations. The charge that Obama was a dangerous radical was preposterous, yet it resonated in part because of his failure to use a little constructive radicalism on behalf of popular frustrations….

In an economic crisis, popular frustration has to go somewhere. If progressives don’t tell a coherent story about the culpability of rapacious elites and work to restore some balance to the economy, right-wing populists are happy to supply the narrative. A moment when progressives were primed to take back a majority politics has been not just lost but actually ceded to the right… Barack Obama’s New Democrat advisers… evidently had nothing plausible to say to those in economic distress. A deep recession was demolishing people’s dreams, and the incumbent Democrats were plainly not delivering enough. When Democrats failed to deliver, they (voters) easily reverted to Republican.

Little else matters. A Democratic Party that puts too high a priority on appeasing Republicans and the rich and powerful is a party that is either headed for electoral disaster or one that will produce little or nothing of value for the American people – probably both. As Robert Kuttner says:

The Republican Party had no serious program to remedy the financial collapse… Nor did it have plausible national leaders… But none of that mattered. If the in-party fails to perform well in a crisis, the out-party gains.