Author Topic: New WWE "Top 50 Superstars" DVD:  (Read 6684 times)

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
Re: New WWE "Top 50 Superstars" DVD:
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »
Without a doubt.

The Ultimate Warrior is the one of only two wrestlers who stayed true to his word about Vince. And Vince has tried on numerous occasions to get Warrior back even trying to get him into the Hall of Fame but Warrior always wants nothing to do with it. Now anyone can say what they will about the Warrior and his place in wrestling history, but he has his integrity and had never faltered. Vince will do everything possible to make the Warrior look bad and a figment of the past because of this.

The other is Bruno Sammartino. This guy should be #2 on this list without a doubt for his longevity and popularity. This guy has so much integrity that he would never bow down to Vince and he is waaaaaay smarter. He is not just some broken old man who lost all his marbles. Bruno is awesome and when you watch him speak you know he's honest. He get's the utmost respect from just about everyone in the industry BUT Vince and Vince runs the show.

This dvd is just a joke and I'll never pick it up because I know this ranking is just pure politics and propaganda. I'm sure many people will have their top 50 but numbers 1 and 2 should go like this:

1. Hulk Hogan
2. Bruno Sammartino

NUFF SAID!!!

Great Bruno article and as strong as he was he was TOTALLY drug-free!! The man is truly amazing!!!!

http://www.chaosandpain.com/content/baddest-motherfuckers-ever-16-bruno-sammartino

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 03:08:11 PM »
Vince will do everything possible to make the Warrior look bad and a figment of the past because of this.

What you write about the old man is true, but plenty of others who'd worked with UW have very openly & candidly stated what an asshole he was to do business with.
In some respects, Hellwig reminds me of Bruiser Brody - tremendous draw, but extremely egotistical and could be entirely unprofesisonal to work with.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 03:33:39 PM »
True. But he never let Vince control him with the lure of money. Still, the UW deserves to be ranked as one of the greatest in WWF history. At his peak he was even more popular than Hogan (though it didn't last long). No one can come close to this other than Austin at his peak.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »
What a load of crap that list is.  If they'd done the DVD 5 years ago, Hogan and Flair would both be Top 5, easily.  We all know how much Vince's ego takes control of these things, but does he really think he's gonna sell this to anyone but the younger brain-washed kids who have no idea who's who?

For me, 'Superstar' means that they went beyond wrestling, that they brought people in who never watched before, just because of who they were.  So the top would probably be some arrangement of Hogan, Flair, Austin and Rock.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 04:44:40 AM »
What a load of crap that list is.  If they'd done the DVD 5 years ago, Hogan and Flair would both be Top 5, easily.  We all know how much Vince's ego takes control of these things, but does he really think he's gonna sell this to anyone but the younger brain-washed kids who have no idea who's who?

For me, 'Superstar' means that they went beyond wrestling, that they brought people in who never watched before, just because of who they were.  So the top would probably be some arrangement of Hogan, Flair, Austin and Rock.
More like top two. They both MADE wrestling. Hands down.

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:37 AM »
This just prooves my point that I have been saying since day one of coming onto this board. If a wrestler is NOT with the WWE or is NOT a Vince McMahon creation, that wrestler will be buried.

Totally agree. Which is why I am praying for some competition for the WWE.

It's the only way.

In an alternate universe, Shane MacMahon has started a new wrestling federation with Paul Heyman. And the women's division is ruled with an iron grip by Bull Nakano.

;D

Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 09:49:35 AM »
I still can't believe that midget is #9.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 10:34:43 AM »
I still can't believe that midget is #9.
I still can't believe that WWE programming is still on tv.  :-\

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »

Totally agree. Which is why I am praying for some competition for the WWE.

It's the only way.

In an alternate universe, Shane MacMahon has started a new wrestling federation with Paul Heyman. And the women's division is ruled with an iron grip by Bull Nakano.

;D

There’s always competition.
Now, with digital cable, there’s 400+ shows worth of programming to compete with.
Funny how that’s the stuff that’s beating him.

It’s when it is DIRECT competition in the form of another wrestling promotion that Vince shines the brightest.
I’ve never been able to completely figure that out.

If TNA ever becomes a formidable opposition, maybe I'll get one more chance to try.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 02:41:41 PM »
Still, the UW deserves to be ranked as one of the greatest in WWF history. At his peak he was even more popular than Hogan (though it didn't last long). No one can come close to this other than Austin at his peak

agreed.

warrior's career may not have been long, but for the time he was there, he was full throttle, became more popular than anyone, and had one of the most famous matches of all time with Hulk at WM6.

thats better than Jeff fucking Hardy.

it just is.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »
I wonder how far UW would have gone had he been a cooperator and a "company man."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 03:18:38 PM »
I wonder how far UW would have gone had he been a cooperator and a "company man."
It would have been interesting to have him on the roster. Even if he cooperated, he was still bad in the ring. He probably would have jumped with Hogan, Nah etc...or maybe filled the void after Hogan and Bret wouldn't have climbed the card..who knows?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
Yeah.
What he had/did was incredible, but there just wasn't much of it or to it.

I would say the act would get old fast, but Hogan stuck around for a long time with the same act (and limitations).

Hulkster had a good persona with the fans behind it & him.
So did Warrior.
UW's poplularity peaked during the time when acts & limitations like his & Hogan's were acceptable with the WWF demographic.

Maybe part of Warrior's obstacle was that the WWF already had a Hulk Hogan and the fans weren't in dire need of another one.

My point is; even if they'd taken another bleached blond buff guy, sprayed him in red & yellow, and had him preach training, prayers, and vitamins, it still wouldn't have gotten him over the way it did for Hogan.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 03:46:07 PM »
That's a good point. I don't think he was as talented as Hogan in that sense. People were growing tired of Hulk being the hero, so he switched and was the biggest heel in the biggest company for 2 years. There wasn't much to Warrior, what you saw was what you got, and everything that's been said about him implies that he wouldn't or couldn't adapt his character.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »
Further proof:

WCW reinvented Hogan to become what you wrote above.

WCW reinvented Hellwig and he went NOWHERE.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 05:12:59 AM »
Further proof:

I'm still wondering what to do with my oWn t-shirt?  :-\

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 05:29:01 AM »
Further proof:

Spot on.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 05:35:49 AM »
In the intro titling for WWE’s profile on Bruno Sammartino in their Top 50 Superstars of All Time DVD set, his last name is misspelled as “Summartino.” Ooopd! As noted earlier here on the website, he is ranked No. 24 in the DVD.