Author Topic: The Book Thread (cool people need not apply)  (Read 19720 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: The book thread(cool people need not apply)
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 02:24:26 AM »
ahhh, whetting my palate..

Starring Plato as Morpheus.  :D

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 02:30:37 AM »
Starring Plato as Morpheus.  :D
and his daughter as Bacchus ;)

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 02:39:01 AM »

Product Description
Noted martial combat writer Bradley Steiner managed to penetrate the inner sanctum of the world's busiest assassination bureaus in compiling this terrifying guide to death-for-sale. Covers edged weapons, handguns, improvised weapons, the garrote and crossbow, poisons, unarmed killing techniques and dim-mak, as well as the attributes of the professional assassin. For information purposes only!

This review is from: Death Dealer's Manual (Paperback)
This book is very thorough in it's description of how to kill another human.. Unlike most other books in the same genre, it does NOT describe obscure and fancy methods, therefore is not especially thick, and it doesn't have to be either.. It's written almost 20 years ago, so please consider the developements in firearms, since the text on handguns doesn't apply 100% today.. It does however describe such things as the correct use of the garotte, which is often badly handled, or outright wrong. All in all, I think this is simply the best book in the genre..

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 02:45:41 AM »

Product Description
Noted martial combat writer Bradley Steiner managed to penetrate the inner sanctum of the world's busiest assassination bureaus in compiling this terrifying guide to death-for-sale. Covers edged weapons, handguns, improvised weapons, the garrote and crossbow, poisons, unarmed killing techniques and dim-mak, as well as the attributes of the professional assassin. For information purposes only!

This review is from: Death Dealer's Manual (Paperback)
This book is very thorough in it's description of how to kill another human.. Unlike most other books in the same genre, it does NOT describe obscure and fancy methods, therefore is not especially thick, and it doesn't have to be either.. It's written almost 20 years ago, so please consider the developements in firearms, since the text on handguns doesn't apply 100% today.. It does however describe such things as the correct use of the garotte, which is often badly handled, or outright wrong. All in all, I think this is simply the best book in the genre..

Settle down, Kurt Saxon.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 03:02:04 AM »
Aw you dick  ;D

I totally forgot about that one, now I have to buy that one too. I'll send you the bill!

Amazing book!  I'm almost done.  Some really cool theory he's debating.  Good, especially when thinking about starting a family.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »

You must be unemployed.

lol

I do have a job, I just like to read a lot.
from incomplete data

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »
How's Too Good to be True?

i'm only about 1/4 of the way in, but it reads more like a crime novel than a financial book.  i guess that's kind of what happened.  i bought it just to see how the hell he pulled it off.

it's a good read, almost "Wall Street" like.
Deep Tissue Massage

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
Just finishing 007 Dr. No right now.  The book is pretty good.  Anyone else read the Bond books?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »
Currently reading Thomas Ligotti - The conspiracy against the human race - A Short Life of Horror

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »
Just finishing 007 Dr. No right now.  The book is pretty good.  Anyone else read the Bond books?
When I was 12. Fleming had to know his market, as he's a terrible writer.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2010, 11:44:46 AM »
When I was 12. Fleming had to know his market, as he's a terrible writer.
Yes,  very campy, or was it the fact that, that era was very naive? I mean, The Naked And The Dead was a good war novel, and Bush Baby was good as well.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 08:40:39 AM »
Anything by Stephen Hunter or Bernard Cornwell.

The Richard Sharpe series,the Starbuck chronicles, and the Saxon stories are all great 8)

....In England they made a series of the Sharpe books into tv shows but I've never seen them here in the states >:(

w8m8

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »
Anything by Stephen Hunter or Bernard Cornwell.

The Richard Sharpe series,the Starbuck chronicles, and the Saxon stories are all great 8)

....In England they made a series of the Sharpe books into tv shows but I've never seen them here in the states >:(

I think these are what you mean ?

:)

st?p=AFC020498E67DD1D

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:31 AM »
I think these are what you mean ?

:)

st?p=AFC020498E67DD1D

Tease >:(...I can't open Youtube from this computer!

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
Epic bump.

My updated list from the last couple of months:

-Europe at War by Norman Davies - a very sobering read about WWII

-Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond - should shut up some two-faced racists out there

-The Beginning of Infinity by David Deutsch - Fascinating but will probably require at least two more reads before it really sinks in

-Young Stalin by Simon Sebag M. - Amazing

-Billions & Billions and The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan - Very pleasant and informative read

-Hitler's Warriors by Guido Knopp

-Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku - Very fascinating although his books are starting to get very repetitive

-The FountainHead by Ayn Rand - I actually quite enjoyed reading it but the whole philosophy thing has not sunk in yet

-1984, Animal Farm and various essays by George Orwell - By far one of my most favorite authors

-The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson - Don't remember most of it but I enjoyed it

-Holy Blood, Holy Grail and The Jesus Papers by Michael Baigent - Although bordering on being nothing more but a conspiracy theory, the books do contain a lot of relevant facts

That's the ones I can think of right now.. there are surely more to come.

from incomplete data

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »
History of Philosophy by William Turner to learn what I missed in college while getting some needed sleep.

Damcing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav– Continuous reading until I get a better  understanding of it.

The Hunger Games because a good number of people have recommended it.

The Hobbit due to friends currently working on the production in NZ …. Actually two films.

Plus I've read a good number of those books previously mentioned.

Four books I'll always remember which most GetBiggers may have never even heard of ...

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

The Carpetbaggers

Gone With the Wind

Battlecry.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
Time to share your intellectual database. What have you read recently? Any books in particular that stood out?

The last couple of months I've read:

A brief history of Time by Stephen Hawking
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt(just ordered Superfreakonomics, looking forward to it)
The Missionary position by Christopher Hitchens(a must read, both hilarious and pretty shocking at the same time although overwritten)
Stalin, the Red Tsar and his court by Simon Sebag M.(Buy it, read it)
A book dealing with science philosophy by an author I can't remember the name of
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku(an excellent read if you find theoretical physics fascinating, a little bit easier to grasp than say A brief history of time)
Einstein by Walter Isaacson
June 1941 by John Lukacs(interesting book about Hitler's motives for attacking Russia)
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins(must read, gives you a lot of insight into how animals and evolution in general work)
A huuuge 700 page book summarizing the world's history but can't remember the author(a little bit on the dry side but very educational at the same time)

etc
etc

Pretty much all of it deals with either science or history which I have a hard-on for right now. Obviously I'm reading this only while waiting for Nasser's epic piece of literature to come out, make no mistake  ;D

We have very similar tastes.

I've read a few most of what you've mentioned. Save for the ambiguous titles lol

aesthetics

• Getbig IV
  • ~lil' cutey~
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2011, 07:14:10 PM »
Time to share your intellectual database. What have you read recently? Any books in particular that stood out?

The last couple of months I've read:

A brief history of Time by Stephen Hawking
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt(just ordered Superfreakonomics, looking forward to it)
The Missionary position by Christopher Hitchens(a must read, both hilarious and pretty shocking at the same time although overwritten)
Stalin, the Red Tsar and his court by Simon Sebag M.(Buy it, read it)
A book dealing with science philosophy by an author I can't remember the name of
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku(an excellent read if you find theoretical physics fascinating, a little bit easier to grasp than say A brief history of time)
Einstein by Walter Isaacson
June 1941 by John Lukacs(interesting book about Hitler's motives for attacking Russia)
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins(must read, gives you a lot of insight into how animals and evolution in general work)
A huuuge 700 page book summarizing the world's history but can't remember the author(a little bit on the dry side but very educational at the same time)

etc
etc

Pretty much all of it deals with either science or history which I have a hard-on for right now. Obviously I'm reading this only while waiting for Nasser's epic piece of literature to come out, make no mistake  ;D

all of those books suck dick   :D

better list of authors:

mishima
nietzsche
deleuze & guattari
kierkegaard is pretty good too if you interpret god for what god really is in society, which is the authorial intent, imo

zizek makes for a good and interesting read, nothing that is groundbreaking that will make you say "holy shit" like with other good authors but he's fun to read and listen to nonetheless

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2011, 07:33:06 PM »
i started reading "romantic economist" but got bored with it very quickly.

i used to like reading philosophy but its gone to shit over the past few hundred years and i havent found any decent stuff for a while.. got into theology a bit and read several books by paul tillich... hes pretty good. probably going to go back into political philosophy if i can find some decent stuff. ..might just have to write some of my own..   :P

nietzsche

:-\

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »
all of those books suck dick   :D

better list of authors:

mishima
nietzsche
deleuze & guattari
kierkegaard is pretty good too if you interpret god for what god really is in society, which is the authorial intent, imo

zizek makes for a good and interesting read, nothing that is groundbreaking that will make you say "holy shit" like with other good authors but he's fun to read and listen to nonetheless

nietzsche, nice
X

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
nietzsche was a pathetic excuse of a man, a cynical, negative, depressing schmuck who couldnt string together a paragraph without committing some kind of logical fallacy.  died a woman hating virgin whose opinion of the gender was formed solely on his experiences with his sister and whatever harsh rejections he suffered as a result of his awkward patheticness.

rotaryfan

• Getbig II
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »
The Stand - Steven King
Get Laid or Die Trying - Jeff Allen    its totally ridiculous and funny as hell. im sure Getbig would approve

The Dome- by steven king, only a couple hundred pages in so far, but its not bad

agreed, Nietzsche was a lunatic and has never said anything credible. its amazing that he was paid to write. He is just an incomprehensible loser.

aesthetics

• Getbig IV
  • ~lil' cutey~
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »
nietzsche was a pathetic excuse of a man, a cynical, negative, depressing schmuck who couldnt string together a paragraph without committing some kind of logical fallacy.  died a woman hating virgin whose opinion of the gender was formed solely on his experiences with his sister and whatever harsh rejections he suffered as a result of his awkward patheticness.

thats true but his writing was still amazing

twilight of the idol and thus spoke zarathrustra were really fucking good. also check out the parable of the madman and tell me you don't say "damn" multiple times while reading this

Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly: "I seek God! I seek God!"---As many of those who did not believe in God were standing around just then, he provoked much laughter. Has he got lost? asked one. Did he lose his way like a child? asked another. Or is he hiding? Is he afraid of us? Has he gone on a voyage? emigrated?---Thus they yelled and laughed

The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. "Whither is God?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him---you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What were we doing when we unchained this earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving? Away from all suns? Are we not plunging continually? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there still any up or down? Are we not straying, as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is not night continually closing in on us? Do we not need to light lanterns in the morning? Do we hear nothing as yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we smell nothing as yet of the divine decomposition? Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

"How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whoever is born after us---for the sake of this deed he will belong to a higher history than all history hitherto."

Here the madman fell silent and looked again at his listeners; and they, too, were silent and stared at him in astonishment. At last he threw his lantern on the ground, and it broke into pieces and went out. "I have come too early," he said then; "my time is not yet. This tremendous event is still on its way, still wandering; it has not yet reached the ears of men. Lightning and thunder require time; the light of the stars requires time; deeds, though done, still require time to be seen and heard. This deed is still more distant from them than most distant stars---and yet they have done it themselves.

It has been related further that on the same day the madman forced his way into several churches and there struck up his requiem aeternam deo. Led out and called to account, he is said always to have replied nothing but: "What after all are these churches now if they are not the tombs and sepulchers of God?"

Spicoli

• Getbig III
  • People on luds should not drive
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:50 AM »
Alot of Milton Erickson and Joe Dispenza lately.
Team Schering Oss NL