Author Topic: Ironage B.S. re old time use of steroids  (Read 76632 times)

trab

• Getbig V
Re: Ironage B.S. re old time use of steroids
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2007, 04:33:54 AM »
Stunt is a good writer... Were you a movie stunt actor  ???  ?

That bit about preformers transformation.... The best seem like their "Possesed" on  stage.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2007, 10:11:05 AM »
Thanks, Figo/Trab....... Good to hear that you like these recollections. I gotta write them down before the facts start fadeing away.

I've been a movie fan since I saw Pinnochio as a little kid and spent some time crashing the movie studios when I was old enough to drive a car and  make serveral attempts at "crashing the gates" at 20th Century, Universal, and several other major Hollywood/Burbank studios.

While I was in high school, my favorite hobby was doing my best to sneak into various movie scenes as they were being filmed. My biggest success in that respect was a scene in a Frank Sinatra/Kim Novak movie called "Pal Joey". There were others too, but nothing worth mentioning here.

Later on my best friend became a major stuntman at Universal Studios (before the theme park was even being thought of) and he was the kind of guy who had no idea who or what major movie stars were, but he enjoyed the work and became one of the top stunt guys in the movie business making friends with some of the major players and studio owners during the 60's and 70's. (I'm bad at dates.)

I'd  go to work with him quite often and would end up wandering through the sound stages watching them film some big Hollywood production starring actors who woould soon be major players in the big time movie world.

And as time passed some of my nephews and nieces got into the business and became someone important and indispensible in the making of some of the major block busters and a few minor attractions over the past few years  .... Eraser, Grinch, Superman, Hulk, Village, (a others which I presently don't recall) and a couple other major films to be released shortly.

So with this family involvement, I've gotten involved once more and did some stunt work and, more enjoyably, stunt coordination and had/have the opportunity to meet some darn interesting people in this business called movie-making.

I, myself, am on the fringe of the business, but some of my family members are in the very center and work constantly.
Once you're known as the "Best at what you do", the doors are open wide and the work is fairly constant. And very profitable.

But the immediate future concerning the possible writer's strike may slow it down a bit. That will definitely hurt the TV industry and could possibly have an adverse effect on the movie business as well. Everybody wants a bigger share of the pie and as I understand it, the smallest slice always went to those who did the writing, and now they want to change the way that pie is cut.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »
Seems computer animation stole a lot of reality from movies to me.
I dont enjoy todays movies because of  it.
Nothing like French Connection or Bullit type chase...

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2007, 01:50:32 AM »
Seems computer animation stole a lot of reality from movies to me.
I dont enjoy todays movies because of  it.
Nothing like French Connection or Bullit type chase...

Ronin was one of the last. The director apparently told them to drive, and that he didnt want to see brake lights... Also, De Niro's expression (of worry) in the peugeot passenger seat, is real. The Bourne stuff looks good, but far from real.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2007, 05:41:06 AM »
Ronin? Must have missed that one as a result of traveling overseas.

This new movie "Beowulf" (mid November release date) looks like it will be different - part live, part computerized, part animation, and a hell of a great story.

I have a feeling it will initially be as popular as "300" or compared to it by the critics.

My brother worked on that San Francisco car chase scene in Bullit if that was the one shot on the hilly streets (Pacific Heights) in San Francisco. He also did some work on The Towering Inferno. Steve McQueen in both of them??

Now his kids are chasing and crashing movie cars in almost every car chase scene filmed by Hollywood.

Small world!

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2007, 12:09:26 AM »
  Funny but true story.
        I went to school with Shawn Eiferman................ I was totally into bodybuilding and weight lifting at the time, (High School). His dad was non other than George Eiferman, true story.
       The funny part is, I found out George was his dad only a few months ago. He never really talked up his dad much. I remember him saying he (his dad) was into health and weight lifting, however.
h

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2007, 02:55:34 AM »
Interesting stories...thanks everyone...

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/wp-content/blogs/1164/uploads//srgft2.JPG

Stuntmovie, I'm a little behind in here...I need to scan some things. The 1947 Life Magazine issue with the article "Steve Reeves of Oakland, California is voted Mr. America of 1947" was an experience for Steve that made him cautious around journalists the rest of his life. Steve told the reporter about his training and talked about bodybuilding. The reporter asked him what his plans were now that he won the Mr. America contest, and Steve said, "I plan to go on with college, further my education." The reporter wrote and printed that Steve said, "When my muscles stop expanding in a couple of years, I will start expanding my brain." Steve was mad because he thought it made him and bodybuilders in general look like a bunch of air heads. I'll post more soon...

Steve and Pudgy Stockton

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2007, 08:08:19 PM »
Montana, thanks for the pics and background stories on Steve.

Here's one I failed to mention earlier.......

When George Eifferman was confined to the hospital just prior to his passing away, a couple of us old friends were planning to visit him. While gathering visiting hour info from one of the family members, we were asked not to mention the fact that Reeves had recently passed away as it would most likely have an adverse affect on George's hoped for recovery.

I regret to say that we never did get to make that visit with George before he passed away.

Montana, do you have any idea how and when and where George and Steve met? Where did George live when he was still a teenager?

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2007, 01:33:28 AM »
Montana, thanks for the pics and background stories on Steve.

Here's one I failed to mention earlier.......

When George Eifferman was confined to the hospital just prior to his passing away, a couple of us old friends were planning to visit him. While gathering visiting hour info from one of the family members, we were asked not to mention the fact that Reeves had recently passed away as it would most likely have an adverse affect on George's hoped for recovery.

I regret to say that we never did get to make that visit with George before he passed away.

Montana, do you have any idea how and when and where George and Steve met? Where did George live when he was still a teenager?

Thank you for sharing, Stuntmovie. George Eiferman was from Philadelphia and trained at Fritshe's Gym there. He met Steve at the Mr. America contest in 1947 in Michigan. Steve told George to come out to California to live. So George went to California. I think I remember a story that he slept on a trampoline at one of the gyms the first night. I have to ask someone for the details on this, but Steve found him and rigged up an apartment situation. Then at one point, a lady by the name Joy Crettaz (a 70 yr. old widow) advertised "Rooms For Rent. Looking for tenants that don't smoke and are health conscious. Write to Joy Crettaz, Muscle Beach by the Sea, Santa Monica." It was a large modern home designed by famed California architect Richard Neutra one block from the ocean. The rent was $1.00/night. Steve, George and a bunch of bodybuilders moved in. Many of them were using their G.I.Bill which provided educational funds for veterans of WWII. Steve was going to school to become a chiropracter. More soon...

Thank you Paolo, from Italy, for hosting many of Steve's pics.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2008, 01:52:39 AM »
Man I wish I could input something but this is way before my time even.  But I did see a few old friends names Timmy Leong and Tommy Kono.  A couple of legends in Hawaii. 

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2008, 01:51:15 AM »

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
Re: Steve Reeves
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »
it has nothing to do with jealousy or thinking that reeves physqiue cant be attained without drugs...as i already said.

it has to do with the mindset of a obsessed narcissistic person such as reeves.

You're on a bodybuilding message board complaining about obsessed narcissistic people, get a clue ! All people involved in bodybuilding are Obsessed Narcissistic People.

JohnnyVegas

Re: Steve Reeves
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »
You're on a bodybuilding message board complaining about obsessed narcissistic people, get a clue ! All people involved in bodybuilding are Obsessed Narcissistic People.

Or just maybe thye actually like working out and staying in shape....as crazy as that may seem.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2008, 11:50:44 PM »
Not me, the photo pre-dates my birth plus I'm 6'2".  ;D

Another I found:

That's Bill Perry.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »
This place is a gold mine on getbig.  Its a privledge to see the past....our forefathers in the sport, you might say.

Good stuff. :)

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2008, 04:20:36 AM »
Q for Made in Montana:

Was Steve R ever out of shape? Did he ever let himself "go" in "off-season", or between roles? Did he have to try, or did his superior genes make it easy to stay in shape year-round?
By out of shape, I mean, not as lean, or lose muscle. Every pic I've seen, from young to older, he looked great.

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2010, 02:42:10 PM »
Dallas on IronAge is in love with Steve Reeves.
Sort of gay creepy man love.
Schmoe.

Reeves Juiced..