Author Topic: Patriots - Best Run Franchise  (Read 1999 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Patriots - Best Run Franchise
« on: December 19, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
As a Lions fan, i sit back and appreciate how a franchise like the Patriots are the best run franchise in the NFL. I'm never in favor of trading up. I'm in favor of trading down. You want a great example of why? Look at the New England Patriots. How often do they trade up? Now look at the 2011 NFL Draft. Notice a theme? Two draft picks in each of the first four rounds. They never have to pay contracts to high picks that prohibit signing free agents, they always are competitive, and they will restock and again team in one draft. Now that's a model for success.
D

body88

Re: Patriots - Best Run Franchise
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:23:23 PM »
Belichick's philosophy states that everyone has a value. The top of that value chart consits of the QB, the nose tackle and some of the offensive and defensive line positions. They never overpay for players, because they believe in maintaining a very strong middle class and building a team. A lot of teams have a really good line of players, but no depth. Many mediots claim that the Pats don't pay guys, when in fact they do (Brady = highest paid qb, wilfork = highest paid nose -- etc). They don't overspend. It's why their numerous injuries are not hurting them as much as other teams.

The Steelers are another example of a team who does a great job of this. The Ravens as well.

The 2009 draft was sick, the 2010 draft was one of the best in their history. 7 starters came out of that draft...not including the ufda's. It's pretty cool that they have 8 picks in the first four rounds next year while being 10-2.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:27:04 PM »
Belichick's philosophy states that everyone has a value. The top of that value chart consits of the QB, the nose tackle and some of the offensive and defensive line positions. They never overpay for players, because they believe in maintaining a very strong middle class and building a team. A lot of teams have a really good line of players, but no depth. Many mediots claim that the Pats don't pay guys, when in fact they do (Brady = highest paid qb, wilfork = highest paid nose -- etc). They don't overspend. It's why their numerous injuries are not hurting them as much as other teams.

The Steelers are another example of a team who does a great job of this. The Ravens as well.

The 2009 draft was sick, the 2010 draft was one of the best in their history. 7 starters came out of that draft...not including the ufda's. It's pretty cool that they have 8 picks in the first four rounds next year while being 10-2.
It's amazing that the players that leave the Pats become quite mediocre players on other teams, maybe with the exception of Seymour and Samuel, but put anyone on that team and they become a pretty valid player.

body88

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:55:49 PM »
It's amazing that the players that leave the Pats become quite mediocre players on other teams, maybe with the exception of Seymour and Samuel, but put anyone on that team and they become a pretty valid player.

It comes down to picking up guys that live and breath football. Guys that play a role and that "do their jobs". The Pats got away from that somewhat in 2009, and you saw Belichick purge the roster, and clear out the "me - me" guys. Everyone is buying in and the results speak for themselves.

I cannot believe the Patriots are 12-2, going into next years draft with the type of firepower to set themselves up for another decade. This season has been crazy. The most enjoyable one that I have witnessed over the 20 years that I have followed the Patriots.

I'm a fan of football, and even if you dislike the Patriots, you've go to respect a team playing like a team, and doing special things that would not be possible if any of the players possesed the selfish attitudes you see with so many players today.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:33:31 AM »
The Patriots are mentally tough. They don't beat themselves and are extremely well-coached and disciplined. Winning 3 titles in a decade will instill that.

The Ravens on the other hand, love to shit the bed with stipud personal fouls and penalties. Ed Reed's forearm to Drew Bees' head during yesterday's game was a true testament to that. Hope we can avoid that as the playoffs approach.

body88

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 11:09:36 PM »
The Patriots are mentally tough. They don't beat themselves and are extremely well-coached and disciplined. Winning 3 titles in a decade will instill that.

The Ravens on the other hand, love to shit the bed with stipud personal fouls and penalties. Ed Reed's forearm to Drew Bees' head during yesterday's game was a true testament to that. Hope we can avoid that as the playoffs approach.

As you know, this has always been my beef with the Ravens. 2007 (vs. the Pats) was a great example of the Raven's mental weakness rearing it's ugly head.

As a whole, the Ravens are a super emotional team, that lets that emotion get the better of them when it's imperative that they keep their cool.

People always discount the importance of this aspect of football. It's the crux of the "well if this didn't happen", and if "we didn't make that dumb play",excuse...or my personal fav: "take away (insert game changing moment) and we'd have won!

If pots and pans were if's and and's the world would be a kitchen.

Ravens can win it all this year. If they their coach can keep them in line, they can win the superbowl.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »
As you know, this has always been my beef with the Ravens. 2007 (vs. the Pats) was a great example of the Raven's mental weakness rearing it's ugly head.

As a whole, the Ravens are a super emotional team, that lets that emotion get the better of them when it's imperative that they keep their cool.

People always discount the importance of this aspect of football. It's the crux of the "well if this didn't happen", and if "we didn't make that dumb play",excuse...or my personal fav: "take away (insert game changing moment) and we'd have won!

If pots and pans were if's and and's the world would be a kitchen.

Ravens can win it all this year. If they their coach can keep them in line, they can win the superbowl.

Couldn't have said it better myself. High emotion can be their biggest enemy at crucial times. Hope this season is different.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:44:50 AM »
With Carolina falling to the Pittsburgh Steelers combined with wins by Cincinnati and Denver, the Panthers are now officially on the clock with the 1st pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.
What that also means is that the Patriots have clinched the #33rd pick, or the 1st pick on Day 2 of the draft.

This 33rd pick is valuable for so many reasons. The difference in talent between #32 and #33 is typically negligible, however, the difference in money is substantial.

In addition, having the 2nd round of the NFL Draft take place on a different day than the 1st round means that other teams, as well as the Patriots, will have time to reset their draft boards and determine if they want to make a play for a certain player.

The Patriots will have the pick of the litter, taking bids for the pick all night, or drafting whichever player they would like. It is certainly an enviable position, all thanks to trading pick #89 (QB/WR Armanti Edwards) in the 2010 NFL Draft to the Panthers.

body88

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:30:22 AM »

The Oakland pick they own should land around slot 15-20. Their first rounder will be between 28-32. As you mentioned, they have the 33rd, and their second rounder should fall between 56 and 64. They have the Chargers third rounder (as well as their own), which will be in the 80's-90's. Plus two fourths, two fifths and four sixths -- plus comp picks.