Author Topic: Lance Storm on what it would take to resurrect wrestling today:  (Read 13431 times)

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
Re: Lance Storm on what it would take to resurrect wrestling today:
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »

This guy is awesome.

If they could elevate Benoit for a title run, they should have given this guy at least a chance at it too. Instead they buried him with gimmicks and tag team runs.

>:(
Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »
This guy is awesome.

If they could elevate Benoit for a title run, they should have given this guy at least a chance at it too. Instead they buried him with gimmicks and tag team runs.

You know what?
I’ve thought that same thing.

The only explanation I can come up with is maybe they figured, “Hey, we already have a Benoit, and one is enough.”
Or…
“We already have one muscular Canadian guy who is an outstanding technician with mediocre mic. skills.”

Still, it would have been nice to see them do something substantial with Lance & Benoit and/or Jericho.
All three of those guys had such a rich history - being from Canada, training in the Dungeon, working in ECW & Japan (at times, together).

I believe Lance also served on & off as a booker over the years.
From interviews and articles, you can tell he’s got a great head for the business, and was an excellent worker from a technical standpoint; as well, he played his character to a “T.”
But yes, I share the belief that he was drastically underused/misused in the Fed.

marcie999

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 04:58:59 AM »

Going to be a life long regret for him, and his fans.

Vince has no soft spot for straight shooters even if they are technically brilliant.

Storm does have a resemblance to Benoit though. The company probably didn't want 2 versions on the cards, what with Vince's obsession with behemoths.

If he'd been kept around and paid his dues..........

He left in 2004 and Benoit snapped in 2007 though. Maybe that resemblance killed his chances as the WWE distanced itself from all things resembling Benoit. Or maybe he was done with wrestling and wanted to stay home.

Our loss.

:(
Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 05:07:25 AM »
When you think about it, Storm is a credit to the business in more ways than one.

He's always kept his nose clean.
Drug free - never got hooked on pain-killer, roids, or recs.
No enemies.
Didn't burn bridges.
Not bitter.
You never heard any stories about him getting into anything bad...

...never killed anyone.

See, WWE?
He wasn't "just another Benoit."

marcie999

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 05:11:08 AM »
When you think about it, Storm is a credit to the business in more ways than one.

He's always kept his nose clean.
Drug free - never got hooked on pain-killer, roids, or recs.
No enemies.
Didn't burn bridges.
Not bitter.
You never heard any stories about him getting into anything bad...

...never killed anyone.

See, WWE?
He wasn't "just another Benoit."

Vince aint listening.

???
Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 05:55:14 AM »
I think we come up with some pretty good ideas here.
If either of the "big two" bothered to read this board, they'd get, FOR FREE, intelligent fan perspective & feedback, some good suggestions for product improvement, etc.

Then, once we see them incoporating some of our ideas, we can start charging for the good stuff.
 :)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
I think we come up with some pretty good ideas here.
If either of the "big two" bothered to read this board, they'd get, FOR FREE, intelligent fan perspective & feedback, some good suggestions for product improvement, etc.

Then, once we see them incoporating some of our ideas, we can start charging for the good stuff.
 :)
If I was a part of creative and allowed freedom of choice I could conjure up some hardcore ideas and finishes...not a Dusty finish  :P

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30:24 AM »
I've always thought a different presentation could also help.....see what you guys think.

Move announcers table away from the ring, get rid of the ramp and conduct interviews back at the announcers podium and only on occasion have them go to the ring with the mic.  Make it mean something.

Cut down on guys talking who clearly should not be.  Bring back REAL managers.  Guys that can help get the talent over.

Bring back the tag-team division.  Great way to get more guys exposure and let them develop.

I know this sounds a little crazy, but cut back a bit on the production.  Not every wrestler deserves a 5 minute music video, cut down on pyros, etc...  save that for the true stars and PPV's.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.  This could be a good thread all on its own.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
I always like the little boxes before a match that had the guys cut a mini promo.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 09:39:42 AM »
I always like the little boxes before a match that had the guys cut a mini promo.

That would be a great way to try to get some of the non-talkers over.  they can recut them, etc... much like in the old territory days when they did the promos for individual cards......ie:  "Sunday, 3:15, Greenville Memorial Auditorium.....Nature Boy Ric Flair takes on Chief Wahoo McDaniels for the US title..."  Then Wahoo would cut a promo......later in the show, same thing, then Flair cuts a promo.  Those were awesome.

marcie999

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »
They definitely got a lot more heat going back then.

They had managers that could rile up a dead person and things felt personal, like believable life and death stakes. Titles were held for a long time, which meant losing them was a very big deal and an even bigger springboard for hostility and further feuding, let alone the heat stirred up by any newcomers who felt entitled to the belt.

It's a mess. A great big steaming, overpaid corporate mess with Hugh Hefner aspirations taking time away from marinading the matt monsters into a believable force of will power, wrestling skill and the odd appearance of lady luck to make things interesting.

Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 05:08:19 AM »
They definitely got a lot more heat going back then.

They had managers that could rile up a dead person and things felt personal, like believable life and death stakes. Titles were held for a long time, which meant losing them was a very big deal and an even bigger springboard for hostility and further feuding, let alone the heat stirred up by any newcomers who felt entitled to the belt.

It's a mess. A great big steaming, overpaid corporate mess with Hugh Hefner aspirations taking time away from marinading the matt monsters into a believable force of will power, wrestling skill and the odd appearance of lady luck to make things interesting.

Great analysis.  And I totally agree on the titles.  They have turned them into meaningless props.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 05:12:09 AM »
I've always thought a different presentation could also help.....see what you guys think.

Move announcers table away from the ring, get rid of the ramp and conduct interviews back at the announcers podium and only on occasion have them go to the ring with the mic.  Make it mean something.

Cut down on guys talking who clearly should not be.  Bring back REAL managers.  Guys that can help get the talent over.

Bring back the tag-team division.  Great way to get more guys exposure and let them develop.

I know this sounds a little crazy, but cut back a bit on the production.  Not every wrestler deserves a 5 minute music video, cut down on pyros, etc...  save that for the true stars and PPV's.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.  This could be a good thread all on its own.

All excellent ideas......i'll add one more....

Recruit wrestlers from Japan!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »
All excellent ideas......i'll add one more....

Recruit wrestlers from Japan!

Great idea.....in the 80's, that was where wrestlers went to become more well rounded and to test themselves.  i think experience in Japan helps a wrestler connect with the crowd in a special way that can't happen here in the states.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
Great idea.....in the 80's, that was where wrestlers went to become more well rounded and to test themselves.  i think experience in Japan helps a wrestler connect with the crowd in a special way that can't happen here in the states.

Japan also forces wrestlers to learn how to get over using ring skills instead of their characters and interviews.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »

Japan also forces wrestlers to learn how to get over using ring skills instead of their characters and interviews.

And i enjoy the strong/stiff style it brings.....not over the top jumping beans, but it just adds an aura of "realism" to it.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 07:21:44 AM »
And i enjoy the strong/stiff style it brings.....not over the top jumping beans, but it just adds an aura of "realism" to it.
I miss those old schooled Japanese arm drags.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »

Exactly!!
Just because we know it's a work doesn't mean we don't want the portrayal of realism for a good show.
We know that Die Hard was only a movie, but had they used Mighty Morphin Power Rangers fight/action choreography, the film would never have become a cult classic.

Suspend our disbelief without kayfabing us.
That's all we ask today.
It would make for a better product, and nobody would feel slighted or insulted.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
Good article(as usual) by Lance

Too Sensitive
April 28, 2011

I’ve been meaning to write this article for quite a while, because it has been eating at me since I heard about Fit Finlay being released by WWE. For those of you who may not have heard the story, a month or two back Fit (a WWE agent) was released by the company after they received complaints about a live event from The National Guard. From what I understand The National Guard is a major sponsor of WWE’s and they were offended when members attended a WWE live event and witnessed The Miz interrupt the playing of the National Anthem. The interruption was obviously designed to get heat on Miz, but apparently it got the wrong kind of heat because The National Guard saw this as an inappropriate means by which to generate heat and complained to WWE about it.

With The National Guard being a major sponsor, WWE needed to act and I guess since Fit was in charge of the event and likely the one to make the call about the Anthem, he was held responsible and released. I don’t want to get into whether this firing was justified or not, but I really hope Fit will be brought back at some point, but what I want to discuss is, in a World so worried about being politically correct, and not offending anyone, is it even possible to get heat anymore.

There are so many tried and true methods of generating heat in this business that just can’t be done anymore. When you look back at the history of this business and what heels did to get heat and draw money, so many of them would be unacceptable now in the corporate main stream world of WWE. I want to be clear here too, I’m not blaming anyone specifically for this, it’s what society has become, but I’m worried that if this age of having to be politically correct to the Nth degree continues, story telling and the ability to stir emotions will become a thing of the past.

How can we have heroes in wrestling if our villains are not allowed to do or say anything that might upset anyone? The interrupting of the National Anthem is a prime example. As part of the Un-Americans in 2002 we got a lot of heat for our anti-American stance, and on at least one occasion interrupted Lillian Garcia when she sang America the Beautiful. We bad mouthed the US and even “attempted” to burn the American flag in Madison Square Garden. Was this offensive? Of course it was but that was the whole point. It was meant to offend, so when “The American Bad Ass” the Undertaker, JBL, and other proud American’s took exception to it and stood up for their Country and made us stop, they were seen as heroes.

Where would WWE Hall of Famer Jim Duggan be if not for Nikoli Volkoff, and the Iron Sheik? “Iran #1, Russia #1, USA haaatoo (spitting sound)”. These guys spit on the US for the sole purpose of riling up flag waving Americans, which were the root of Duggan’s fan base. If you look at the big picture, angles like this actually promote patriotism, as did Miz’s interruption of the national anthem.

Now look at R Truth’s heel turn a couple of weeks ago. I heard WWE received complaints from anti-smoking groups claiming that by having R-Truth smoke on TV they were promoting cigarettes, because it gave smoking that outlaw bad boy image, and would promote smoking to kids.

How are we as an industry supposed to draw an emotional reaction from our fan base if we aren’t allowed to anger people on some level? If our industry were always under the handicaps of today’s “moral standards” where would we be?

Hulk Hogan initially got over as a flag waving American beating the evil Iron Sheik. Would this be allowed today, or would there be fears that it would generate tension in the Muslim community?

Rick Rude would not be allowed to call people “fat out of shape sweat hogs” because he would be insulting and offending people who suffer from obesity.

How would you book a Ric Flair – Dusty Rhodes feud, if Ric wasn’t allowed to insult Dusty for being working class, or brag about being a limousine riding, jet flying, …? We can’t vilify the rich or the poor because that would be discriminatory.

Baron Von Raschke and Colonel DeBeers got heat being white supremacists. There is no way we could use racism to draw heat today. No evil Russian out to bring down democracy, no sneaky Japanese villains ready to “Pearl Harbor” you the second you turn your back. No Skandor Akbar in World Class, No Abu Wizal in Stampede, No Wild Samoans, No Headshrinkers.

What about Gorgeous George or Adrian Street? Would they be considered anti gay for being promoted as a heel for their “flamboyant“ antics?

I’m not saying we should be promoting racism or gay bashing or anything else just for the sake of drawing heat. I’m just saying that offensive characters like this can be used while still sending a good message if done properly and people should relax and look at the over all story being told.

You can’t make a movie like Schindler’s List without racist Nazi villains. Now I’m not comparing the story of Oskar Schindler to a pro-wrestling angle or storyline, but at the end of the day a story is a story, be it real or made up and in order to have Super Heroes, you have to be allowed to have Super Villains. Sponsors and fans shouldn’t give up on, or boycott the Story Tellers for the villainous actions of characters in their stories, provided the over all message of the story is still a positive one.

Food for thought,
Lance Storm
http://www.stormwrestling.com/042811.html 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »
Superb article - as always - from Storm.

Right on the money!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 07:06:07 AM »

You know what?
I’ve thought that same thing.

The only explanation I can come up with is maybe they figured, “Hey, we already have a Benoit, and one is enough.”
Or…
“We already have one muscular Canadian guy who is an outstanding technician with mediocre mic. skills.”

Still, it would have been nice to see them do something substantial with Lance & Benoit and/or Jericho.
All three of those guys had such a rich history - being from Canada, training in the Dungeon, working in ECW & Japan (at times, together).

I believe Lance also served on & off as a booker over the years.
From interviews and articles, you can tell he’s got a great head for the business, and was an excellent worker from a technical standpoint; as well, he played his character to a “T.”
But yes, I share the belief that he was drastically underused/misused in the Fed.

Substantial with Jericho?

The man was the first UNDISPUTED WWF CHAMPION (and he beat Rock and Austin the same night to do it). IF that ain't substantial, what is?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 08:01:04 AM »
Substantial with Jericho?

The man was the first UNDISPUTED WWF CHAMPION (and he beat Rock and Austin the same night to do it). IF that ain't substantial, what is?

I meant I would have liked to see Lance involved in a substantial angle with Benoit and/or Jericho.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
Great article by Storm.  I love our country, served in the military, etc... but that type of thing would not insult me.  It was clearly done to draw heat and as long as Miz got his well deserved beatdown for it in the end, I would be cool with it.  there is a difference on doing those types of things and then having the justified blow-off vs just doing garbage to insult people.  I actually thought much of the "satanic" crap VKM did with UT back in the day was in very poor taste and really never had a point as Deadman rarely got any real comeuppance in any of his fueds.  But that is just my opinion.  If you don't like it, turn the channel. Simple as that.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »
Great article by Storm.  I love our country, served in the military, etc... but that type of thing would not insult me.  It was clearly done to draw heat and as long as Miz got his well deserved beatdown for it in the end, I would be cool with it.  there is a difference on doing those types of things and then having the justified blow-off vs just doing garbage to insult people.  I actually thought much of the "satanic" crap VKM did with UT back in the day was in very poor taste and really never had a point as Deadman rarely got any real comeuppance in any of his fueds.  But that is just my opinion.  If you don't like it, turn the channel. Simple as that.

Oh, you're back!
We'll have to find someone else to use for a whipping-boy, now.
 :D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »

Oh, you're back!
We'll have to find someone else to use for a whipping-boy, now.
 :D

;D  Have to stay away a bit to generate some heat.  Don't want to be like the current WWE where EVERY star is over exposed and becomes stale and boring.  8)