Author Topic: Strikeforce has the best HW division in the world, no doubt about it.  (Read 9946 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: Strikeforce has the best HW division in the world, no doubt about it.
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 12:55:39 PM »
I actually think most fans know who Fedor is.  You can't really consider them a fan if they don't. 

It's like saying a hockey fan doesn't know who Crosby is, etc.

I just wish there would come a day that Fedor would fight in the UFC along with Overeem.  Werdum would be a nice addition too. Just think about the line up of fights that could take place.

I'd LOVE to see a JDS/Overeem match.  And a Cain/Fedor match.   Man, that would be nice.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 07:57:13 AM »
 regardless of what he does in strikeforce I think Fedor probably missed the boat as far as being marketed into the UFC based on his pride days,I think that window is all but closed...

the opportunity was there to build up Fedor's presence in the UFC based on his pride days (they did it with Hendo).....but that ship has sailed !

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »
regardless of what he does in strikeforce I think Fedor probably missed the boat as far as being marketed into the UFC based on his pride days,I think that window is all but closed...

the opportunity was there to build up Fedor's presence in the UFC based on his pride days (they did it with Hendo).....but that ship has sailed !

I agree...Fedor had his win streak and now he's just another fighter to the today's MMA fan.  The guy is a recluse.  How would they ever market him without his win streak?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 01:19:58 PM »
I agree...Fedor had his win streak and now he's just another fighter to the today's MMA fan.  The guy is a recluse.  How would they ever market him without his win streak?

Hm...let me think. As the winningest heavyweight ever? As the last man to hold the heavyweight belt of the most mythical MMA organization ever? As the only MMA fighter to have carried the Olympic torch and be named his country's greatest athlete?

You make it seem as his one loss makes him absolute garbage. He went into the guard of the World's best grappler, made a mistake and got caught. When you are in the guard of a BJJ master, you can't afford to make even a tiny mistake and he made it. It happens. Even Rickson Gracie(7th degree BJJ master) has been caught and submitted by other BJJ masters.

BTW, I am not a Fedor fan-boy. I remember from the days of PRIDE that I always considered Fedor to be too small for a heavyweight. Also Fedor is a ground fighter and I find ground fighters boring. I like strikers. My favorite MMA fighter ever is Wandy. I have no reasons to defend Fedor, but I find it incredible that you consider him garbage just because he made a mistake in the guard of a BJJ master and got caught. Cain Velasquez, JDS, Carwin and other UFC heavyweights would have been caught even faster in the same situation given that their grappling is inferior to Fedor's - yes, I know JDS has a black belt in BJJ but we have never seen him grapple out of submission attempts and Fedor is a Sambo World champion, so Fedor is probably the better grappler.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »
 Hm...let me think. As the winningest heavyweight ever? As the last man to hold the heavyweight belt of the most mythical MMA organization ever? As the only MMA fighter to have carried the Olympic torch and be named his country's greatest athlete?

still counts for a lot ...

but time has taken a big percentage off the lustre of it all ...

he turned a lot of his fans off with leading people to believe that there was a chance he'd sign with the UFC and then abandoning negotiations.

pretty sure I'm not the only person alive that feels like he went from mythical Russian mystery man who was unbeatable to somewhat of a prima donna ....

either way the clocks ticking and he's never going to be fully recognized as the best until he faces whoever has the UFC title...

like it or not, that's just the reality of it..

suckmymuscle

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »
still counts for a lot ...

but time has taken a big percentage off the lustre of it all ...

he turned a lot of his fans off with leading people to believe that there was a chance he'd sign with the UFC and then abandoning negotiations.

pretty sure I'm not the only person alive that feels like he went from mythical Russian mystery man who was unbeatable to somewhat of a prima donna ....

either way the clocks ticking and he's never going to be fully recognized as the best until he faces whoever has the UFC title...

like it or not, that's just the reality of it..

Maybe to Americans. Most of the rest of the World doesen't give a shit about the UFC. It is only watched by redneck Americans and Canadians and the British. In the rest of the World, Fedor is much better known than any UFC fighter including JSP. Fedor is a legend and it is the UFC that needs him to prove the value of it's belt for the rest of the World and not the other way around.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »
On a recent trip to Poland they re quite into UFC, boxings still the sport they watch most over there though, Bit like the USA in the 70s and 80s

suckmymuscle

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2011, 06:09:22 PM »
On a recent trip to Poland they re quite into UFC, boxings still the sport they watch most over there though, Bit like the USA in the 70s and 80s

Go to Asia, Europe and Latin America and see who is more known between Fedor and Cain Velasquez.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 07:02:14 AM »
  Go to Asia, Europe and Latin America and see who is more known between Fedor and Cain Velasquez.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Yes, in Latin America ppl know Fedor, but believe that Cain is also very popular in that area right now i'm sure.

You seems to make bold sweeping statements that "most of the world" doesn't give a shit about UFC, etc.  Then you state that only Americans, Canadiens, and the British like it.  Come on dude.  How many Braziliian flags do we see whenever  Wandy steps in the ring?... or Croatian flags when Cop steps in?  UFC is popular at some level all over.  As is Strikeforce etc.   

YOu can't possibly make these statements without some sort of poll, etc.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 07:13:22 AM »

You make it seem as his one loss makes him absolute garbage. He went into the guard of the World's best grappler, made a mistake and got caught. When you are in the guard of a BJJ master, you can't afford to make even a tiny mistake and he made it. It happens. Even Rickson Gracie(7th degree BJJ master) has been caught and submitted by other BJJ masters.

BTW, I am not a Fedor fan-boy. I remember from the days of PRIDE that I always considered Fedor to be too small for a heavyweight. Also Fedor is a ground fighter and I find ground fighters boring. I like strikers. My favorite MMA fighter ever is Wandy. I have no reasons to defend Fedor, but I find it incredible that you consider him garbage just because he made a mistake in the guard of a BJJ master and got caught. Cain Velasquez, JDS, Carwin and other UFC heavyweights would have been caught even faster in the same situation given that their grappling is inferior to Fedor's - yes, I know JDS has a black belt in BJJ but we have never seen him grapple out of submission attempts and Fedor is a Sambo World champion, so Fedor is probably the better grappler.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I see all these attributes in Fedor as many 'HARDCORE' MMA fans do.

MOST CURRENT MMA's fans have no ideas or care about anything you mentioned above. How or Why would they?

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 07:18:33 AM »
  Maybe to Americans. Most of the rest of the World doesen't give a shit about the UFC. It is only watched by redneck Americans and Canadians and the British. In the rest of the World, Fedor is much better known than any UFC fighter including JSP. Fedor is a legend and it is the UFC that needs him to prove the value of it's belt for the rest of the World and not the other way around.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

WORLDWIDE the UFC is currently the most popular MMA organization.  People that don't care about the UFC, most likely don't care about MMA.
Don't be foolish, the UFC doesn't need or want Fedor at this point. He's not even ranked in the Top 3. Why would they need an overpriced, recluse Russian, with high-mileage?  That doesn't even interact with the fans or speak English? 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »
WORLDWIDE the UFC is currently the most popular MMA organization.  People that don't care about the UFC, most likely don't care about MMA.
Don't be foolish, the UFC doesn't need or want Fedor at this point. He's not even ranked in the Top 3. Why would they need an overpriced, recluse Russian, with high-mileage?  That doesn't even interact with the fans or speak English? 

I can garatee you that, outside of the U.S, the old PRIDE fighters like Crocop, Fedor, Wandy, Henderson, Shogun, etc are a lot more known than the UFC fighters who have never fought in PRIDE. The exception is GSP in Montreal and that's it. The UFC is the most popular MMA organization right now, but it has nowhere the popularity and global viewership that PRIDE had.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
I actually think most fans know who Fedor is.  You can't really consider them a fan if they don't. 

It's like saying a hockey fan doesn't know who Crosby is, etc.

I just wish there would come a day that Fedor would fight in the UFC along with Overeem.  Werdum would be a nice addition too. Just think about the line up of fights that could take place.

I'd LOVE to see a JDS/Overeem match.  And a Cain/Fedor match.   Man, that would be nice.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  I get together with about 10-12 guys to watch these fights.  Except for the ones that I train with, the rest have no idea about anything outside the UFC. They know the UFC guys.  They pay for the PPV.  So I would say they are fans.
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »
  I can garatee you that, outside of the U.S, the old PRIDE fighters like Crocop, Fedor, Wandy, Henderson, Shogun, etc are a lot more known than the UFC fighters who have never fought in PRIDE. The exception is GSP in Montreal and that's it. The UFC is the most popular MMA organization right now, but it has nowhere the popularity and global viewership that PRIDE had.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The UFC is the most populat MMA org in the US and Worldwide.  Comparing their business model and fighter popularity to PRIDE fighters of 5+ years ago in pointless.  Many factors make this a mute point.  Their are MANY more fighters and the UFC has rebuilt the sport of MMA and will soon be holding events everywhere in the world.  They are not competing with the PRIDE's business model.

To keep on topic, bringing Fedor in is great if they do, but they would have to build up his popularity to the current MMA audience.  Like it or not, most CURRENT, REAL, PPV buying fans don't know or care about PRIDE or much outside of the UFC.  PRIDE has is old news.