Author Topic: Rich People Are Getting Citi Bike Stations Removed  (Read 4646 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Rich People Are Getting Citi Bike Stations Removed
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 08:34:46 AM »
Hahaha, you're not far off buddy  ;D

I don't ride in London, however (I do have some desire for longevity in life!) mostly around Essex, which is very rural if you pick your routes well. There's something I can't get anywhere else when it comes to cycling....it's the feeling of going 25-40mph downhill, or cruisng along at 20-25mph knowing it's just your legs powering the ride, I don't know. I couldn't even enjoy being on a Honda Fireblade doing 150+mph as much as I do cycling  ???

Oh great.  A 'lad.'

All I know is that during my time there, there was pretty much a 4 drink minimum before getting behind the wheel.  Stay rural, Earl of Brocester.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »
It's your basic chinese.  I can't get Grizzy here but probably would have bought one since online reviews seem generally favorable.  I suspect, however, that I might have the same models available with slightly different facing.

This one seems like a lot of machine for the money.  I'm just hoping it runs as advertised.  I can't exactly afford to go out and buy a Clausing for project work tho, so I have to keep to what I can afford.  Probably going to try basic milling on it as well (keyway cutting) so I don't drop the same money again, or more, on a milling machine.

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L682D

It's a gap bed with pretty decent size and thread cutting capabilities for the money, I think.  DRO (not sure how good) comes with it and a few other bits of fruit.  The post is probably garbage but it'll at least get me out the starting gate.

Space is limited.  1/2 a garage since the other half is floor to ceiling with racking.  First project will be a work/welding table, probably 4x4'.  I'd like it to be able to accomodate future tools like a sheet brake, maybe a roll bender, pipe bender, and maybe (somehow) plasma cutting with downdraft.  Hydraulic press is also on the soon to do list since I'll be needing to press fit bearings.

If you have any advice for someone just getting a kit together, and with no formal training, I'm all ears!
That looks really similar to the Grizzly gunsmith 12 x 36 to me which people love although everyone says open the gap at your own peril.

What kind of projects are you looking to make?

My advice to to start collect scrap to turn down and spend a few weeks making chips with some cheap tools before you try to get real parts going.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »
I have a buddy who hit and killed a girl on a bike last summer. It was a winding unlit road, and he hit her.  He wasn't speeding or anything.  It was after 1030 at night and he hit her.  I do not think it's okay, but that is why I personally don't ride road bikes, because even if you are not at fault of an accident, it really does not matter as you are probably going to die.  All the bike riders lash out about how they have rights to the road, but that's not the point, you're taking your life into your own hands.

What happened with him?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 03:39:11 AM »
That looks really similar to the Grizzly gunsmith 12 x 36 to me which people love although everyone says open the gap at your own peril.

What kind of projects are you looking to make?

My advice to to start collect scrap to turn down and spend a few weeks making chips with some cheap tools before you try to get real parts going.

Hadn't heard that about the gap.  I like the idea of a good swing but have often wondered if really sits dead on or if you get a step up/down, or worse on the y axis.

I've got some ideas for tools and light machinery I'd like to explore.  Some fairly chunky stuff that would find application in plastering, shotcrete, concrete, and maybe industrial settings.  Also some mickey mouse stuff for carpentry.  I'll have to tackle a lot of power transmission issues for sure, in the way of bearing fits, keying, bushing, etc.  

I was mucking around with a little peristaltic pump awhile ago and fucked the [piece of shit alloy] rotor.  Getting a new one basically took favors from mates and a lot of ginning around.  Shops are so busy that they really can't be fucked with someone's little project nonsense, so that wasn't even an option.  It made me decide that if I'm going to start screwing around with machinery, I really need to be able to perform basic cutting, welding, lathing, and milling for myself.  Some of this stuff has been rattling around in my head for better than a decade, so I figure it's really time to shit or get off the pot.

I'll definitely take some time to learn the machine.  There's going to be a lot of cutting and mic-ing going on before attempting something like a press fit on a shaft like Keith.  Also going to be learning myself.  A lot, I suspect.  And different materials.  Figure I'll start with off the shelf carbides so I know I'm the problem when something stuffs up, then move to grinding my own later on.  Lathe milling is sure to be an adventure and I'm curious to see how far I can go with it.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »
Well that lathe is plenty big enough to get you started and should even be rigid enough to mill on too (at least to a certain degree of accuracy) providing you take light passes.

Abom79 has just started a cool YouTube channel too. You should check out practical machinist forum if you haven't also.