Author Topic: Your opinion on overtraining?  (Read 24023 times)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: Your opinion on overtraining?
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »
overtraining definately exists but most people never train hard enough for long enough periods of time to get truly overtrained.

In most cases when people feel run down its probably a case of 'overreaching', which is kinda like a light version of overtraining and goes away pretty quickly if you rest a few days or maybe train lighter for 1-2 weeks.
thats all it ever is....do some explosive movements like jumping, or throwing a medicine ball, and the CNS system will be back in action, and so will you energy...

bench

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
thats all it ever is....do some explosive movements like jumping, or throwing a medicine ball, and the CNS system will be back in action, and so will you energy...

bench

yeah the average lifter will back off long before true overtraining rears its ugly head.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
i can go to the gym....bang out 3 sets of bench with 495lbs, and 3 reps on each.....thats training heavy

i can go to the gym...work my ass off, and have people carry my broken ass to my vehicle...that training hard...

milos trained hard as hell, but never went heavy...

bench

I see, thanks man.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »

bench

This fascinates me!!!

So, for example on those days (90% of the time) when I start deadlifting and can't feel my muscles working at all and start getting lower back pain, if I do some explosive movements that MAY help me snap out of it?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »
yeah the average lifter will back off long before true overtraining rears its ugly head.
the average lifter is too lazy to ever get to that point...the use it as a excuse all the time though...

bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »
This fascinates me!!!

So, for example on those days (90% of the time) when I start deadlifting and can't feel my muscles working at all and start getting lower back pain, if I do some explosive movements that MAY help me snap out of it?
usually....it always works for me.....

bench

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2011, 04:18:56 PM »
This fascinates me!!!

it depends but explosive stuff can help to get CNS back online. but if you feel like shit every workout then you need to look over your overall training routine  + nutrition and recovery.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »
This fascinates me!!!

make sure they are natural movements though....like throwing, jumping..shit like that....not a machine, or free weights..

bench

Jake_W

• Getbig III
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »
if it's sore don't train it

???

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »
I'm curious bench, which is more important for a natural trainer? To train "hard" or to train "heavy"?

the most important thing for a natural is that you train hard enough and progressively mostly in the (4)6-12 rep range.

training hard in itself means nothing unless you progress.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
Good answer 1st, and that answer is spot on 8)

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »

Stavios

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »
stick to cable work bro. isolation is where it's at. no pain, no damage, good growth.

yeah I am doing this since I read about you soing it a few weeks ago !

I also included concentration curls ( I had never tried them before), GREAT exercise I destroyed my biceps without feeling it in my joints

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2011, 04:50:42 PM »

I also included concentration curls ( I had never tried them before), GREAT exercise I destroyed my biceps without feeling it in my joints
I have been doing hammer concentration curls a lot lately. Great movement.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
if you are a BB...you have never and will never overtrain.......you may under eat, and under rest...not not overtrain..

athletes can, and do overtrain all the time though...

bench
youve got it backwards

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:38 PM »

dude, you been training for years now. your biceps look any different than they did last year or the year before that? 

you gotta lift heavier, or else you never gonna grow. dont listen to these jackoffs saying training isnt important, just lift light weights and go to failure, blah blah blah. bigger muscle= stronger muscle.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:57 PM »
usually....it always works for me.....

bench

thank you for the advice!  I'm going to try this tomorrow!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »
Cephissus and Blackflag are typical of young blokes who do all the reading and end up more confused than ever. Sometimes a little learning is a dangerous thing. If you don't learn how to make good gains in the gym you will have no clue whatever about advice given on the net. Hope this helps.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2011, 05:02:17 PM »
Ok, so for anyone else here, I pose the same question that I asked panda: Does the muscle growth process fully take place within 48 hours of the training session?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »
Cephissus and Blackflag are typical of young blokes who do all the reading and end up more confused than ever. Sometimes a little learning is a dangerous thing. If you don't learn how to make good gains in the gym you will have no clue whatever about advice given on the net. Hope this helps.
and eventually, you'll end up 75 and begging for blue stars on message boards.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »
Ok, so for anyone else here, I pose the same question that I asked panda: Does the muscle growth process fully take place within 48 hours of the training session?
possibly, why dont you try it out and see if it works. stop listening to what people say, and do what works for you. i workout 2 days on 1 day off, everything gets hit every 3 days. 72 hour gap. works for me. might not be the best for you.

bigger muscle= stronger muscle... let that be your guide.

Stavios

« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »
dude, you been training for years now. your biceps look any different than they did last year or the year before that? 

you gotta lift heavier, or else you never gonna grow. dont listen to these jackoffs saying training isnt important, just lift light weights and go to failure, blah blah blah. bigger muscle= stronger muscle.

they look just as shitty as before but they are much bigger.
the shape won't change anyway.

the reason I alternate heavy training and moderate weight supersets is only because of my joints. Once they start hurting, I swith.

BTW, the concentrations curls I did was heavy (6-8 reps).

doesn't mean that I don't go heavy because I do cable works for arms, I just go heavy for that particular exercise

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »

not exactly..there are different studies showing abit different numbers. the response gets shorter the more advanced you get. but yeah usually 48 hours or less. seen 24-36 hours mentioned in several studies.

steroid users have a constantly elevated protein synthesis. way beyond what is possible for a natural.

i also wanna mention that recovery is NOT the same thing as protein synthesis. recovery can take much longer than 48 hours..that being said you don't necessarily have to be fully recovered when you train the same muscle group again. it depends on how you structure your training and your preferences etc etc

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »
So are you saying that if you really want a muscle to grow you should train it every 2 or 3 days?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »

sorry vince, i've been training for seven years and a half years in the gym, nonstop, and put on over a hundred pounds in that time.

here are some pictures documenting my progress:

hope that helps.