« on: August 15, 2005, 07:57:14 PM »
I must be getting hard core; I’m eating tuna right out of the can tonight.   :P

*Dutch*

• Getbig III
  • "Hey, you got rusty fenders on your bicycle!"
Re: Tuna
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 08:33:21 PM »
Some of the hottest tail I ever got was in the can! Shaved or full beaver? :P
Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 09:07:27 PM »
I must be getting hard core; I’m eating tuna right out of the can tonight.   :P

My Kitty is the same way

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 06:31:24 AM »
Yuck.  After a few bites, I had to add some relish.  :(

Bast00

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 06:48:56 AM »
I always disliked the taste.  I was eating it every day, 2-3 cans a day for weeks.  After that, I won't go near a can.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 08:44:25 AM »
I always disliked the taste.  I was eating it every day, 2-3 cans a day for weeks.  After that, I won't go near a can.

i had the exact same experience.  It's taken a long time for me to even like it when prepared well, such as in sushi.
:-)

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 09:30:31 AM »
Suck it up sweeties, if you want taste go to McDonalds.  :P.

Add some extra virgin olive oil to it, makes it taste a lot better and adds some good fats.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 11:47:29 AM »
I haven't had canned tuna for almost 15 years since I moved here.  Fresh Ahi is the only way to go.  Grilled Ahi tuna salad is unrivaled.  It is awesome.  SOmetimes expnsie at $20 a pound but most of the time very reasonable.  I have the Monger slice them into 8oz filets for me.  I freeze them and always have some defrosted ready for the George Foreman grill.  Sometimes baked with teriyaki marinade is great to.  ALways some garlic is involved

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 03:29:24 PM »
If you eat it out the can it's nasty! put it on a plate and attack it with black-peppar then put it in the microwave for 30 sec...doesn't taste bad at all then!
tank u jesus

none

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 03:58:54 PM »
Suck it up sweeties, if you want taste go to McDonalds.  :P.

Add some extra virgin olive oil to it, makes it taste a lot better and adds some good fats.

thats what i do, and sometimes i add some lemon.  does the job.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 04:05:45 PM »
I haven't had canned tuna for almost 15 years since I moved here.  Fresh Ahi is the only way to go.  Grilled Ahi tuna salad is unrivaled.  It is awesome.  SOmetimes expnsie at $20 a pound but most of the time very reasonable.  I have the Monger slice them into 8oz filets for me.  I freeze them and always have some defrosted ready for the George Foreman grill.  Sometimes baked with teriyaki marinade is great to.  ALways some garlic is involved

you live in hawaii, right?  i'd imagine you could get a bazillion different healthy, delicious fish there....

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »
Yes I love ithere.  I hardly ate fish when I lived in LA or Vegas.  Mostly trout and halibut. and canned tuna.  But here, I have Ahi, Mahi Mahi, Marlin, Ono, Shark, I love fish.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 06:20:04 PM »
Yes I love ithere.  I hardly ate fish when I lived in LA or Vegas.  Mostly trout and halibut. and canned tuna.  But here, I have Ahi, Mahi Mahi, Marlin, Ono, Shark, I love fish.

that sounds so nice- i had great mahi mahi the other night and good ahi isn't too hard to find, but i'm not a fish fan unless it's damn good (which is a shame, considering how good it all is for you).

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 06:52:57 PM »
I got kind of worn out on the tuna thing too.  Thats when my wife came up with this great recipe for tuna patties.  If you guys want to get your tuna and have a little time its worth it to whip up a few patties, put em in the fridge for leftovers for a couple days. Heres the recipe, try it there great!!
6 cans tuna
4 carrots (finely grated or chopped)
3 stalks celery (finely chopped or grated)
3 small vidalia onions (finely chopped or grated)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbl. spns worsterchire sauce
salt pepper and garlic powder to taste

Mix the ingredients by hand, like a meatloaf.
Form the patties by hand (10-12) make them thick, but only as broad as your palm in diameter.
Heat up enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a frying pan on medium/high heat and cook till both sides are dark brown.

Good Luck!

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 07:51:03 PM »
I got burned out on tuna when I was just mixing it with fat free miracle whip. Recently I started adding relish and it tastes 100% better. It also helps that relishes come in a variety of flavors, sweet, spicy, etc... so you can have a little variety with your tuna each day.
Intensity; the measure of man

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 02:30:40 AM »
My tuna phase is over at the moment as well. Used to eat 2-3 cans a day for several years but right now it just makes me nauseous. So, I'm mostly eating salmon now. But I'l try the tuna patties.

Steve in NJ

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 12:34:29 PM »
I was eating 2-4 6 oz. cans of tuna a day until my wife said there there is a risk of mercury poisoning from tuna.  Anybody heard of this? Thanks for the site. Just registered.

Steve in NJ

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 12:53:18 PM »
FYI
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/mercury.html

"FDA toxicologists have determined that for persons other than pregnant women and women of childbearing age who may become pregnant, regular consumption of fish species with methyl mercury levels around 1 part per million (ppm)--such as shark and swordfish--should be limited to about 7 ounces per week (about one serving) to stay below the acceptable daily intake for methyl mercury. For fish with levels averaging 0.5 ppm, regular consumption should be limited to about 14 ounces per week. Current evidence indicates that nursing women who follow this advice do not expose their infants to increased risk from methyl mercury.

Consumption advice is unnecessary for the top 10 seafood species, making up about 80 percent of the seafood market--canned tuna, shrimp, pollock, salmon, cod, catfish, clams, flatfish, crabs, and scallops. This is because the methyl mercury levels in these species are all less than 0.2 ppm and few people eat more than the suggested weekly limit of fish (2.2 pounds) for this level of methyl mercury contamination."

Sounds like more than 2.2 pounds of canned tuna may put you at risk of mercury poisoning.

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 08:15:02 PM »
I was eating 2-4 6 oz. cans of tuna a day until my wife said there there is a risk of mercury poisoning from tuna. Anybody heard of this? Thanks for the site. Just registered.

im sure everything we eat is killing us in some ways we dont even know. i eat 7 cans of tuna a week thats 1 a day, not to bad i would think.
Thaiboxing,Bjj

young guns

• Getbig IV
  • being mortal sucks...
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 09:14:22 PM »
try this for eating tuna in a new way....

2 cans of tuna
1 cup cottage cheese
2 sticks of celery
scoop or two of whey
cup of yogurt
3 cups of milk

toss all that shit in a blender...may sound disgusting as hell, and your right it is..but it'll give you one hell of a boost for lifting.

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »
try this for eating tuna in a new way....

2 cans of tuna
1 cup cottage cheese
2 sticks of celery
scoop or two of whey
cup of yogurt
3 cups of milk

toss all that shit in a blender...may sound disgusting as hell, and your right it is..but it'll give you one hell of a boost for lifting.

That's horrible, you'd never be able to get it down.
Intensity; the measure of man

young guns

• Getbig IV
  • being mortal sucks...
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 09:33:52 PM »
thats what i thought at first, but after a while its became a staple for pre workouts.

!@#$%

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 02:54:04 AM »
The thing that bugs me about tuna is that each can contains 32-33 grams of protein, yet a can of tuna isn't very filling. If you're trying to eat 200 grams of protein a day, that means you can only have 6 cans, which really wouldn't fill you up and you'd have too eat a lot of carbs.

On the other hand, it takes about 6oz of chicken breast to get the same amount of protein which is a lot more filling.

Too much protein will make you fat just like anything else, so chicken seems like a better way to go, even though it is more of a hassle and has some saturated fat in it.

If you are trying to get 300-400 grams of protein per day though, tuna and whey is probably the best, IMHO.

brendan_192

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Team Heath 2009
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 05:59:06 AM »
i hate tuna too, tastes like fucking carboard. i getr sandwich tuna in brine so its really mushed up already i dont need to chew i just swollow i big spponfull with a mouthfull of water. i get the can in 3 or 4 spoons.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »
Drain the brine, add to salad containing lettuce, tomato etc, add some mustard relish or light mayonnaise, thats a great high protein snack/meal with little carbs only coming from the mayo.
2/3 times a day.yum.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah