Author Topic: Ancient humans were much stronger and faster than today’s humans  (Read 17208 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: Ancient humans were much stronger and faster than today’s humans
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:13:12 AM »
Was discussed. Supoosedly they know how fast a Ancient aboriginal ran just by tracks, but it's proven that you can't know how fast they ran. Plus, Aboriginals haven't chanced that much, so why is it they  don't do sooo well when it comes to sprinting?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Pretty much the same biological factors with modern man vs ancient man (with regards to strength/speed). Though the brain is meeting more stimulus and adapting abilities now-a-days.. The fight or flight element was much more of prime daily influence then, as compared to now. Requiring great burst of speed or strength. Had to adapt to their surroundings or die. If modern man were thrown into such a element he would adapt also or die trying.

A throw back to the ancient human is when you may read that a 70 year old grandmother lifts the back end of a car off her grandchild. Funny thing is, she may be a little sore the next few days, but usually nothing major. No breaks, serious strains, etc. Her primal influences (fight or flight) adapted to the need at the time. And in theory, we all could do that.

Weight lifters try to tap into that hidden reserve of ancient raw energy before a big lift. Given all this, wonder if granny could be trained for a 1000lb DL and beat those 330lb fat guy's who waddle up to a bar? The potential awesome strength is with-in her, like everyone else. Have been  studies using hypnotism with limited success. Also drug produced rushes. Also with limited success. Tend to be too much demand and strain on the heart and CNS. Too much danger to the body. Good Luck

F

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:01:59 PM »
Speed is the product of the length of the stride and the rate at which strides are taken, so to estimate speed from tracks you have to make some extra assumptions.

They predict the speed by using theories of "dynamic similarity."  Stride length generally scales with leg length, so if you assume the subject in question's leg length from the stride length measured from the footprints, you can predict their running speed using something called the Froude number, which is equal to speed squared divided by leg length and gravity.  The extra assumption made is that the Froude number for maximum-effort runs is constant for all two-legged runners.  The speed prediction is only a very rough approximation in reality.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:56:20 AM »
Back in the day of ancient man, and even now, I think speed would depend on how fast a lion, wolf, bear, etc was chasing you. The "feet don't fail me now" factor. Track star Bolt probably would not have that tough a time back then. Good Luck
F

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 07:26:09 AM »
Weren't ancient men monkeys?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 09:12:37 AM »
Looking at some of the post from people on GB, one might think Darwin was right.
Good Luck.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »
Ancient man hunted by being endurance runners.  I saw a show on an african tribe that literally chased after a deer for 1 to 2 hours.  While the african antelope can burst out into a 40mph sprint it over heats after running for an hour or so.  Then the they would casually walk up to it and spear it dead. Man can run for long distances because we sweat ourself cool and most mammals over heat after running any distance.

I doubt ancient man was a faster sprinter because a sprinter has to have power.  We are larger than ancient man. 

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 01:35:48 AM »
Was discussed. Supoosedly they know how fast a Ancient aboriginal ran just by tracks, but it's proven that you can't know how fast they ran. Plus, Aboriginals haven't chanced that much, so why is it they  don't do sooo well when it comes to sprinting?
Meth and petrol drinking kills motivation

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 01:29:21 AM »
Could ancient Mike Tyson beat present day Gorilla, that is the question

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 01:42:29 AM »
its complete bullshit........... we are bigger, stronger and more advanced now...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 08:38:07 AM »
Britannia use to be bigger, stronger and more advanced and look at it now. Britannia ruled the waves, now are hard pressed to rule the channel. Most everything regresses sooner or later. Even the U.S. seems to be in decline. Helped greatly by the present political schemes.

Doubt if modern man could survive most of the factors that ancient humans could. It's how one adapts to the surroundings. How well could any human today function on 1 small meal (feast or famine times) a day while hunting. Or fighting another invading tribe? Not so much a question of size and power but endurance, quickness and cunning. How many 400lb benchers(or chubby PL'ers) could survive one day if thrown back to 300BC? Or how well could a ancient man survive in modern times. Though a good portion of rural China is  living in stone age conditions at present. Good Luck.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »
evolution dictates we improove thru the ages,,, its not just made up, each generation is a little taller and bigger

if we had been brought up in those scenarios we'd adapt just fine, after all there are still indiginous peoples living in rain forests and people living in total poverty, obviously being thrown into the deepend youd struggle,,

but dont try and be conned just because of the harsh environment that they would be faster or stronger as it makes no sence at all...

tallandfat

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
we will never know will we?

i do think in ancient times u ran fast or not eat so on avg faster

ancient man also had sex anytime

ah good ole days

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »
We do know! We don't place as harsh demands on our body's so they have no need to adapt. Now we got it easy so no we are not as fast or hardy. Not to mention back in the day if you couldn't hack it you'd just die, now anyone can make it ;) We will continue to get dumber and weaker because technologies does it all for us, elevating our need for speed and strength and some times even common sense.
Most ppl would die if they had to live on their own out in the wild I think.

P

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »
Stride length is not only determined by leg length but by how far you are jumping forward with each stride.  It's not the only the rate of turn over.  You can predict a good sprinter by a vertical leap test.  Powerful fast sprinters are jumping forward with each stride.

Speed is the product of the length of the stride and the rate at which strides are taken, so to estimate speed from tracks you have to make some extra assumptions.

They predict the speed by using theories of "dynamic similarity."  Stride length generally scales with leg length, so if you assume the subject in question's leg length from the stride length measured from the footprints, you can predict their running speed using something called the Froude number, which is equal to speed squared divided by leg length and gravity.  The extra assumption made is that the Froude number for maximum-effort runs is constant for all two-legged runners.  The speed prediction is only a very rough approximation in reality.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »
Stride length is not only determined by leg length but by how far you are jumping forward with each stride.  It's not the only the rate of turn over.  You can predict a good sprinter by a vertical leap test.  Powerful fast sprinters are jumping forward with each stride.

I said it scales with leg length, not that it's determined by it.  I have a Ph.D. in biomechanics, don't lecture me on this shit.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 09:06:20 PM »
I said it scales with leg length, not that it's determined by it.  I have a Ph.D. in biomechanics, don't lecture me on this shit.
LOL, gotta memorize that line for future use  8)
follow the arrows

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »
When we say "ancient", how ancient are we talking?

I doubt people were stronger 2,000 years ago but I'm not sure how far back the human race stretches.

Tens of thousands of years ago the world had more oxygen in it and as a result things like animals and plants grew bigger and were stronger as a result - then the ice age came and wiped everything out. Maybe there's some truth to oxygen supplementation?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
When we say "ancient", how ancient are we talking?

I doubt people were stronger 2,000 years ago but I'm not sure how far back the human race stretches.

Tens of thousands of years ago the world had more oxygen in it and as a result things like animals and plants grew bigger and were stronger as a result - then the ice age came and wiped everything out. Maybe there's some truth to oxygen supplementation?

The "homo sapiens" species is somewhere around 50,000-200,000 years old.  Bipedal ancestors first appeared millions of years ago.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 10:59:54 AM »
according to 90% of americans living in the south, we started as we are, as adam and eve.....

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
Strong, tough man died ages ago - the empire of the vikings(Nordmänner) vanished around 1266 I think.

tomjone20

• Getbig I
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
Those humans also lived into the old age of 30. 

I agree with the earlier statement that we are stronger, faster, and more agile than the ancient humans.  I don't think there was ever anyone like Lebron James, for example or Suh.  Just wouldn't've been possible with the nutrition and environment available to them.