Author Topic: How many times was Andre slammed?  (Read 2193 times)

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
How many times was Andre slammed?
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »
Everyone remembers Hogan I guess.

How many others slammed him?  I saw Ken Patera slam him pretty easily one time at a house show.  They claimed it was the first time it had happened,  but that could have been hype.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: How many times was Andre slammed?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:57:59 PM »
I don't know exactly how many times per se, but I know that Stan Hansen, Harley Race, and Bill Eadie all slammed Andre; although, that was when Andre was younger and CONSIDERABLY LIGHTER!

I also believe that Hogan slammed Andre at least once prior to their historic WM III match, but I don't know where, when or the number of times.
(Of course, the WWF media claimed that the Hogan match was the first time Andre had been bodyslammed by anyone, and they also claimed it was the first time Hogan & Andre met in a match.)

I've never heard of Patera slamming The Giant, but I can easily believe it.

Didn't Jim Hellwig also slam Andre during their program in '89?

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
I don't know exactly how many times per se, but I know that Stan Hansen, Harley Race, and Bill Eadie all slammed Andre; although, that was when Andre was younger and CONSIDERABLY LIGHTER!

I also believe that Hogan slammed Andre at least once prior to their historic WM III match, but I don't know where, when or the number of times.
(Of course, the WWF media claimed that the Hogan match was the first time Andre had been bodyslammed by anyone, and they also claimed it was the first time Hogan & Andre met in a match.)

I've never heard of Patera slamming The Giant, but I can easily believe it.

Didn't Jim Hellwig also slam Andre during their program in '89?

Race?  Wow, that is pretty impressive.  I'm surprised he would even try.

I am not very sure about anybody but Patera.  I was very young, but I remember Patera's being a very clean slam, much better than Hogan's.  Of course, that could be due to my age at the time, and my love for Hogan.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »
Don't forget that Andre was a lot lighter in the mid-70's.
Nonetheless...

Patera's strength is legendary among the old AWA guys.
They said that, when he picked someone up for a slam, he didn't need any help at all from them.
He just effortlessly picked you up and did whatever he had/wanted to do.

And, Race - he was also known for ridiculous strength, which was even more amazing considering he spent a lot more time in bars than gyms.
Guys respected Harley for good reason.
He didn't sound like a bully, but could take care of himself.
Had a grip from Hell, too.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
I loved reading stories about how Harley was generally considered the toughest man in ANY place he frequented. Apparently if he got hold of you then there was no way you could get free, he would just do whatever he saw fit. If im right he once confronted Vader and gave him a seeing to at a time where Vader was being pushed as the unstoppable destroyer of men (Simmons powerslam for the title will live with me until my last days) back when he was beating Sting for the title.

Hellwig did indeed slam him, Hogan had slammed him on several occasions through their programs and i would say over half a dozen others slammed him during his career. The guy was not afraid to put anyone over like that, but when Hogan slammed him i would say that was his heaviest (he was beginning to deteriorate by '89).

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »
There are lots of good Harley stories.
When Vince made him the "King," it was supposed to be a very serious event, but Harley was smashed at the crowning ceremony.
He tripped getting out of the ring, fell off the apron, and the midget who was holding the end of his robe trying to steady him was catapulted through the air.

Then, at that year's Slammy's, Race was supposed to receive an award.
Again, he was drunk, tripped down the steps on the side of the stage, pancaking his crown and cutting his forehead.
They boys were hysterical because Harley stayed in character and carried on all serious the whole time.

I think it was Dynamite who claimed Harley used to carry a little .22 pistol with him.
In some of the rougher dives down South, he would set up empty cans outside the bar & use them for target practice with all those people around.

Also, Harley allegedly almost shot another wrestler one night in the locker room.
But, that's coming from Piper, so take it for what it's worth.
 ;)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »

How many others slammed him?  I saw Ken Patera slam him pretty easily one time at a house show.  They claimed it was the first time it had happened,  but that could have been hype.
hogan slammed andre early in his career, it can  be seen on the 3 disc hogan set the ultimate antholgy and later at WM 3 i believe. patera is the only guy to slam andre without assistance according to andre in his book. patera  just scooped him up and slammed him before he could jump up to help with the process. interestingly on the hogan disc i swear when hogan is wrestling in toronto canada there's a goofy ;looking kid in a blue outfit that looks pretty much like a young edge.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
Wow, nice find, Tim.
I had no idea that Andre left his feet so much during his career.
A few of those Inoki slams looked pretty good, and Andre was already quite big for a couple of the later ones.

I remember Heenan mentioning that Hogan slammed Andre at Shea, but I see now that there were plenty of more times.

In all honesty, I'm surprised Andre cooperated with Hellwig enough to enable him to pull it off.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 07:34:25 AM »
I personally saw UW slam Andre in 89.  It was a houseshow in Pensacola, FL.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 05:04:04 AM »

Hogan WM3 & WM4 (When he was his heaviest at 525lbs & several times in the late seventies / eraly eighties before Andre's giantism came into effect)
Warrior (some house shows)

Can't think of anyone else.