Author Topic: Megayacht for bodybuilder?  (Read 22299 times)

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
Re: Megayacht for bodybuilder?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »

Plus, boats depreciate faster than cars do...they drop like the proverbial anchor.
Yeah most people fail to realize what a boat is. They think its basically like a home with a haul to keep out the water. Reality is a boat is built like a spring board made to flex and twist in the water. Not to mention the vibrations from their massive engines, they all take a tole on the structure of boat given them a very short shelf life.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »
Yeah most people fail to realize what a boat is. They think its basically like a home with a haul to keep out the water. Reality is a boat is built like a spring board made to flex and twist in the water. Not to mention the vibrations from their massive engines, they all take a tole on the structure of boat given them a very short shelf life.
Where I live, Annapolis, people live in their boats. You can see them at the mall, you can tell the people who live on their boats...

But, everywhere you see, is sailboats, in various conditions---and none of them are worth what people want for them.

Wingnut32

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
Btw, the market for megayachts has crashed in recent years.

You Think Houses Are a Slow Sell? Try a Yacht
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/business/22yachts.html?scp=2&sq=yacht&st=cse

Even modest boating (by comparison) is a pricey hobby.  Boats have to be stocked with food, wine and other liquors.  I used to go boating with a buddy of mine who had a 40” and every time the boat went out it took $500 in gasoline to fill the tank.  Repairs and service bills are endless.  It is true what they say about boat owners: the two happiest days of your life are the day you buy the boat and the day you get rid of it.  It is a serious money pit and really only makes sense if you can write it all off as a business expense.

My boat owning friend told me once, “you don’t really want to own a boat; you want to be friends with someone who ones a boat.”  It was and remains good advice.  That way you experience all the joys of being invited to go boating . . . without any of the headaches of ownership.  ;)

You know what Rick says, boats are holes in the water you throw money into.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 09:55:06 AM »
Could you be happy living on a boat?  This is the Predator 84; it ostensibly accommodates 8 guests and 3 crew.  I say "ostensibly" because I have always found these figures to be inflated whenever I board and see a boat in person.  Would 11 people really be comfortable on this boat?  Probably not.  5-7 is more like it.  :-\

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 09:57:56 AM »
they cant buy a second life.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 08:39:46 AM »
Boat sales hold steady before boat show season
By Justine Griffin, Sun Sentinel

With less than two months until Fort Lauderdale's premiere marine event, boating dealerships in South Florida are noticing renewed interest from those looking to purchase a vessel this year.

Yacht buyers start doing their research now so they can make an educated decision to buy a boat by the time the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show opens in October, said Mike Joyce, CEO of Hargrave Yacht Sales & Brokerage in Fort Lauderdale.

"Most boat buyers don't even start thinking about their next purchase or the additions they want to do before the end of the summer," said Joyce, whose company builds and sells custom yachts in the 70-foot to 135-foot range.

Annual data from YachtWorld.com, an online boat brokerage and listings service, shows that traffic on the site spikes around the end of July and into August.

"Buyers are very knowledgeable right now. If they're going to make this kind of commitment, they're going to know everything about the boats they're considering and go to several boat shows before making a final decision at Lauderdale," Joyce said.

Last year, Florida brokerages defined their dominance in the "super yacht" sales market by selling more boats at a quicker pace, according to YachtWorld.com data. In 2011, Florida brokers signed deals in under 500 days.

Ninety-seven super yachts — those measuring more than 100 feet — were sold in Florida in 2011 for $660 million, close to $7 million each. Ninety-two super yachts were sold in Florida in 2010.

The number of exhibitors at the FLIBS in 2011 was up 10 percent from the year before. It is expected to grow again this October.

But yachts aren't the only boats selling this time of year.

Intrepid Boats, a semi-custom builder of center-console power boats based in Dania Beach, has seen steady sales all summer, Vice President Mike Obolsky said. The company has an 11-month waiting list on certain models, he said.

Boats produced in 2012 are shadowed by the next year's models, which debut each year on Aug. 1. So, for those looking to find a good deal on a fishing boat or sports boat, now's the time, said Mario Aiello, owner of Davey Marine in Fort Lauderdale.

"This is the best time of year to buy a boat, with the 2012 closeouts, hands down," said Aiello, who sells Seafox, Rinker, Sportsman and Hurricane brand fishing and sports boats for the more everyday buyer. "Now's the time manufacturers are dropping prices and offering incentives to buy, like throwing in a free radio or other supplies as a bonus perk."

Sales are up by more than 12 percent this year at both the Fort Lauderdale and North Miami Davey Marine locations, Aiello said.

The cost of owning a boat, after the initial purchase, ranges from $50 to $150 per foot, depending on the amount of maintenance and where the boat is stored. That means $850 to $2,550 for a 17-foot 2013 Bayliner 170 outboard Bowrider, offered for sale for almost $27,000 by a South Florida boat dealership. A used 2007 Bayliner 185 Bowrider is selling for $14,500.

"People are realizing that boating is an affordable option again," he said. "After tightening their belts for so long, consumers in South Florida want to be back out there again and having fun."

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »
I go to St Martin every year, and the yachts in Simpson Bay lagoon are fucking enormous. One of my buddies is a first mate on one that in 112' long, and he took us on this thing to show us around and it was pretty. Ad ass. He said it cost 15 million, but you could tell it was a "big little yacht". He had a crew of five, some of the bigger ones that are close to 300 feet have crews of 40+ and those boats are a few hundred million. From what I understand a yacht is 10% of your net worth.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 09:31:02 AM »
I go to St Martin every year, and the yachts in Simpson Bay lagoon are fucking enormous. One of my buddies is a first mate on one that in 112' long, and he took us on this thing to show us around and it was pretty. Ad ass. He said it cost 15 million, but you could tell it was a "big little yacht". He had a crew of five, some of the bigger ones that are close to 300 feet have crews of 40+ and those boats are a few hundred million. From what I understand a yacht is 10% of your net worth.

That's silly. No one wants to own a yacht that requires a crew of 40.  Or even a crew of 10.  At most you want a crew of 2-3 and preferably no crew at all.  You (and your significant other) can easily handle the boat yourself if it is 85 feet or less.  For example:

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »
So about 80 mil new, lolz at playbay. What a fucking smuck.

Most of these boats are in the 300-400 mill range. Ships are not cheap, there no assembly lines, and only a few of each make are ever built.
Not even Arnold can afford these toys. His net worth is 300 million.

Sucks to think the snot nosed Zuckerberg can have a super yacht

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »
you are such a traditionalist!

Check the Wallypower 118' Also check the gigayachts
http://www.wally.com/jumpCh.asp?idChannel=44
Wally is the most impressive for sure. I would not say no to the Predator 92 either.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »
no...you dont, date g@y men instead of hot trannies ???

Most gay men are rich, I'm sure not having a wife and kids drain their $ is part of it :D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 09:44:08 AM »
Most gay men are rich, I'm sure not having a wife and kids drain their $ is part of it :D

There are millions of broke single hetero men.  The idea that one would be rich just because he is gay is pretty fanciful.   ::)

There are plenty of broke gay men too.

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »
Wally Ace

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 09:52:28 AM »

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »
Wally Ace

Ugly!  Would you want a boat like that?  I wouldn't.  Give me even a puny Predator 64 and I'd be much happier.  :D

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »
Bitch please, go look at Paul Allen's yacht and tell me you wouldn't want it, or anything that came with it. You realize it's not like they live on these things, it's a business. My buddy, the yacht he was on rented for $48,000 a week, and it was almost Lways booked. Dude always has pictures of sluts hanging on that thing.

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
Ugly!  Would you want a boat like that?  I wouldn't.  Give me even a puny Predator 64 and I'd be much happier.  :D

I don't know. To me the Wally's have a more architectural, sophisticated design appearance. The Predators are more commercial and look like your typical boat. But they are also nice and I would never say no to one ;)

But how many times do you see a Wally in the Harbor? I've never seen one in person.

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »
Wally 118:

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »
I don't know. To me the Wally's have a more architectural, sophisticated design appearance. The Predators are more commercial and look like your typical boat. But they are also nice and I would never say no to one ;)

But how many times do you see a Wally in the Harbor? I've never seen one in person.

I live in the real world. I can see owning a Predator; I go to the boat show regularly.  Lots of people in Florida own SeaRays and Sunseekers and dock them in their back yard.  I cannot see owning a Wally in my lifetime.  I guess I prefer to focus on dreams that I can realize.  Fantasizing about a boat that requires a crew of 40... What's the point? ???

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
I live in the real world. I can see owning a Predator; I go to the boat show regularly.  Lots of people in Florida own SeaRays and Sunseekers and dock them in their back yard.  I cannot see owning a Wally in my lifetime.  I guess I prefer to focus on dreams that I can realize.  Fantasizing about a boat that requires a crew 40... What's the point? ???
True. The Predators are nice no doubt.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 06:54:53 AM »
I live by the Ocean and a lot of people who are into boating sell their house at retirement and live on a boat.  No more real estate taxes that are huge in New Jersey. My house taxes are 9K a year and that is low in NJ. With a boat you just pay the yearly slip fee. Throw in the pump out and electricity and you're ready to go. The fuel is super expensive with some little boats getting one mile per gallon.

I'm not into boating and I didn't realize how expensive boats are. I thought 300K would get you a mini hotel on the water but that's not the case.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 07:18:54 AM »
I live by the Ocean and a lot of people who are into boating sell their house at retirement and live on a boat.  No more real estate taxes that are huge in New Jersey. My house taxes are 9K a year and that is low in NJ. With a boat you just pay the yearly slip fee. Throw in the pump out and electricity and you're ready to go. The fuel is super expensive with some little boats getting one mile per gallon.

I'm not into boating and I didn't realize how expensive boats are. I thought 300K would get you a mini hotel on the water but that's not the case.

I'm not sure I would want to live on a boat--even in retirement.  And certainly not in New Jersey.  The place to own a boat is in Florida where you can actually use it to go places throughout the year (the Keys, The Dry Tortugas, the other coast of FL, Caribbean islands, etc).  Not everyone would be into it I suppose, but I can think of few things more fun and adventurous than spending a few weeks or months with 2-5 friends hopscotching from one island to another, visiting... restocking supplies... partying... scuba diving, working out at different gyms (bodybuilding related), etc.  You can do all of this in Florida.  And when you are done you navigate home to the dock in your back yard and all the conveniences of home.  If you own a boat in NJ where exactly do you really go with it? ???

Remember, today's boats have electricity, internet, TV, music, galleys (kitchens), running water, water makers, bathrooms (with showers), air conditioning, etc.  Bay likey!  8)

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2012, 03:58:12 PM »
Not even Arnold can afford these toys. His net worth is 300 million.

Sucks to think the snot nosed Zuckerberg can have a super yacht

Arnold can afford one, although with his possible divorce I'm not sure what will remain of his fortune.
Sylvester Stallone could buy such a yacht, especially if you consider that the vast majority of such new built boats are offered as charters. If it's a successful charter yacht, the owner can vastly lower his expenses.

If one of them is the owner, as they are extremely famous, such information would be all over the web. So probably the yacht is being built for another fitness/health/muscle/physique oriented person.

On the other hand: I have yet to read that either Schwarzenegger of Stallone are yachting fans. Has one of them owned a yacht or superyacht before?
But then again, I didn't think Steve Jobs was interested in buying a megayacht, but he (or now his widow) has a Philippe Starck designed megayacht under construction at Feadship De Vries in Aalsmeer (Holland)

travisma

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »

Friend of the family bought a super yacht for $80m a few years ago. They currently have it in Spain where it has two full time captains etc...

ANY BEFORE anyone says yeah sure..... Go look them up... Con and Ross Makris.. They are currently have a net worth of $1.06 Billion here in Australia so no probs buying the yacht..

Oh Ross has 7 Ferrari's.....Nice collection!!!.

Travis