Author Topic: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President  (Read 71875 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President
« Reply #575 on: January 26, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
Talk about volatile. 

Rasmussen Shows Romney Lead in Florida
Thursday, 26 Jan 2012

Mitt Romney has leaped back into the lead in the Florida Republican primary, according to a Rasmussen Reports poll released Thursday.

Romney had 39 percent support in the poll of 750 likely Florida GOP voters taken Wednesday, compared with 31 percent for Newt Gingrich. Rick Santorum was a distant third at 12 percent, and Ron Paul had 9 percent.

Four percent said they wanted some other candidate, and 7 percent were undecided.

Romney’s return to first place follows the GOP candidates debate Monday night, when the former Massachusetts governor went on the attack against the former House speaker. Just four days ago, following Gingrich’s big win in the South Carolina primary, he led Romney 41-32 percent.

Gingrich was leading in the latest Rasmussen national poll, released Tuesday. It showed the former House speaker garnering the support of 35 percent of likely GOP primary voters, compared with 28 percent for Romney, 16 percent for Santorum, and 10 percent for Paul.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Rasmussen-Gingrich-Romney-Florida/2012/01/26/id/425637

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #576 on: January 28, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
Crazy race.

Newt Gingrich Campaign Leaking Hot Air Ahead Of Florida Primary, GOP Insiders Say
First Posted: 01/27/2012 4:52 pm Updated: 01/27/2012 4:57 pm

WASHINGTON -- What happened to Newt Gingrich? Less than a week after Gingrich's stunning triumph in South Carolina, air is leaking from his momentarily front-running campaign faster than a parade balloon's after Thanksgiving.

Besides the obvious fact that the new combat-enabled, armored-up Mitt Romney clobbered Gingrich last night, are there other reasons? Yes, based on conversations with Republican and campaign insiders here and in Florida:

The Palin Factor. Some D.C.-based establishment types were preparing to reconcile themselves to former House Speaker Gingrich, if not outright endorse him, before or after the South Carolina primary last week. But according to one such insider, who asked not to be identified because of her prominent corporate lobbying role, Gingrich fatally said on Jan. 18 -- three days before the primary -- that he would offer former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin a "major role in the next administration if I'm president." That one statement scared the accept-Newt, Republican-establishment types. "That sure did it for me, and I think for a lot of other people in town," the lobbyist said.

The Rubio Factor. The popular Cuban-American senator from Florida has not endorsed a candidate, but he doesn't need to. He devastated Gingrich by complaining -- vehemently -- about an ad the Gingrich campaign had run calling Romney "the most anti-immigrant candidate," and implying that Romney had parroted the words of Fidel Castro. On Wednesday, Rubio denounced the ad as "inaccurate, inflammatory and doesn't belong in this campaign." The Gingrich camp withdrew the ad.

The Moon Factor. A science-fiction fan and self-described "grandiose" thinker, Gingrich took it all too far when he vowed to establish an American space colony on the moon by the end of his second term. Even in Florida, where they love them some space exploration, it seemed an extravagant notion at a time when half the home mortgages in the state are under water. Former Massachusetts Gov. Romney, well prepared to capitalize, said that he would "fire" any staffer who brought him such an idea.

The Wolf Factor. Gingrich was unable to bully his way past the savvy and imperturbable Wolf Blitzer as CNN moderator last night when the former speaker tried to decry the role of the mainstream media. And rather than lamely stand by in silence, Romney cleverly sided with Blitzer as he asked probing questions.

The O'Donnell Factor. Debate coach Brett O'Donnell, formerly working for Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn.), earned his pay by coaching Romney in his answer about the role of faith in presidential decision-making. It was deftly pious without seeming to break the wall between church and state.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/27/newt-gingrich-florida-primary-gop_n_1237486.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #577 on: January 28, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »
Cain Endorses Gingrich for President
Saturday, 28 Jan 2012
By Martin Gould and Dave Eberhart

Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain endorsed Newt Gingrich for the GOP nomination late on Saturday – at the same time accepting a position as the former House Speaker’s tax reform chairman.

The author of the now-famous 9-9-9 tax plan announced his endorsement in West Palm Beach, Florida, three days ahead of that state’s vital primary. The endorsement is a welcome boost for Gingrich, who has found himself having to defend himself against a vicious onslaught of attacks from former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

"It is time for conservatives and Republicans to refocus their attention on the ultimate mission of defeating President Obama," Cain said at the Palm Beach County GOP Lincoln Day Dinner. "I believe Speaker Gingrich is the bold leader we need to accomplish this mission."

Cain was catapulted to national attention when his own campaign for the nomination took off in the fall. His signature 9-9-9 plan which would have provided 9 percent taxation on income tax, corporate tax and new national sales taxes caught fire with the public. At one time, he led in the polls for the right to take on Barack Obama in November. But his campaign faltered and he dropped out of the race in early December.

Cain and Gingrich both come from the Atlanta area and have been friends for more than 20 years. The two men worked together in the early 1990s to help defeat Hillary Clinton’s plans for healthcare, and as House Speaker, Gingrich appointed Cain to the National Commission on Economic Growth and Tax Reform Commission – better known as the Kemp Commission.

Gingrich said he was “honored” to have Cain’s support and immediately announced that the former pizza mogul would co-chair his tax reform and economic growth advisory council.

“America’s challenges are too great for mere tinkering around the edges. Just like Herman, who ran his campaign based on big ideas, I am running on bold solutions that will boost job creation, cut bureaucratic red tape, and fundamentally transform Washington,” Gingrich said.

When Herman Cain suspended his presidential campaign, he promised to stay engaged. This he has done. The watershed moment of that engagement might very well be his endorsement of his former rival for the highest office in the land.

The venue for the endorsement was as unique as Cain’s spirited style – with Gingrich actually stepping in for Herman Cain as the headliner for the Palm Beach County event. The former House Speaker took over Cain's spot as keynote speaker at the Palm Beach County Republican Party's Lincoln Day dinner Sat. evening. Cain then stole back the limelight with his surprise endorsement.

This year's event comes three days ahead of Florida's presidential primary.

Previously, Cain had been tapped by the Tea Party Express to give their response to the 2012 State of the Union address. His 13-minute speech was critiqued as being a lot more animated and vigorous than Indiana governor Mitch Daniels’ official GOP response.

Also not long ago, on Fox News this morning, Cain  applauded Gingrich’s well-received admonishment of CNN’s John King, who infamously opened a two-hour debate by asking the former Georgia congressman if he wanted to respond to an accusation from his ex-wife. Both men agreed it demeaned the presidential forum.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Cain-Endorses-Gingrich-forPresident/2012/01/28/id/425834

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #578 on: January 29, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »
Sarah Palin Urges Newt Vote in Florida, Says Gingrich Will 'Clobber' Obama
Sunday, 29 Jan 2012
By Newsmax Wires

Sarah Palin is urging Florida voters to vote for Newt Gingrich on Tuesday in their state's Republican primary.

"Vote for Newt," Palin told Jeanine Pirro, host of the Fox News weekend program "Justice with Jeanine."

Palin made a passionate plea for Republican voters to reject Mitt Romney in Florida to keep the primary process going forward.

The former Alaska governor made it crystal clear that she favors former House Speaker Gingrich, suggesting that the Republican establishment in New York and Washington is trying anoint former Massachusetts Gov. Romney the GOP nominee.

"And I say, you know, you’ve got to rage against the machine at this point in order to defend our republic and save what is good and secure and prosperous about our nation,” Palin said. “We need somebody who is engaged in sudden and relentless reform and is not afraid to shake up the establishment. So, if for no other reason, rage against the machine, vote for Newt, annoy a liberal, vote Newt, keep this vetting process going, keep the debate going.”

Here are key points Palin made on Fox:

"Ronald Reagan wasn't afraid to take on sitting members of his own party who were in office. He challenged a sitting Republican. He knew politics of personal destruction hurt the cause of conservatism. What we see today what happened there in Florida this past week — it's gone beyond the pale, gone beyond aggressive and fair campaigning against an opponent."
Rick Santorum pointed out that Romney “drew first blood, and at first, Newt Gingrich didn't respond — he wanted to take the high road . . . [Newt] announced his intention to take the high road, but when you're continually hit and bombarded with negative rewritten history about yourself and your record, you have to hit back. And that's what you saw Newt Gingrich engage in . . .”

“I've been the proponent of continuing this vetting process and aggressive debate. It should be fair though the healthy debate that our country the electorate will benefit from . . . We see these pundits and politicos and elites and the far away Washington, D.C., beltway telling the electorate that by Florida it's going to be all wrapped up and we'll have our nominee.”
“Well, look at the players in the establishment who are fighting so hard against [Newt]. They want to crucify him because he's tapped into that average everyday American tea party, grass-roots movement that has said enough is enough of the establishment that tries to run the show and tweak rules and laws and regulations for their own good and not for our nation's own good.”

“Both party machines and many in the media are trying to crucify Newt Gingrich for bucking the tide and bucking the establishment. That tells you something. I say you have got to rage against the machine at this point in order to defend our republic . . . Vote for Newt, annoy a liberal. Vote Newt. Keep this vetting process going.”

“Which candidate is most passionate about the sudden and relentless reform that's needed? Which candidate understands that government is not the answer? Not on a state level — same when it comes to mandating what level of healthcare you must purchase? . . . I've appreciated again Newt Gingrich. His style in debates, his thinking, his way of explaining what he stands for, so I think that in a debate Newt Gingrich would clobber Barack Obama. That's one step closer to the voters being able to have a tool to make up their minds whether it should be Obama or the GOP nominee.”

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Palin-Gingrich-Florida-Romney/2012/01/29/id/425837

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #579 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »
Rasmussen Poll Shows Romney Leading Florida
Sunday, 29 Jan 2012
By Newsmax Wires

Mitt Romney has opened a double-digit lead over Newt Gingrich in Florida as the perception grows among Republican primary voters that he is the strongest general election candidate against President Barack Obama, according to a new poll from Rasmussen Reports.

The telephone survey of likely Florida Republican voters in the Sunshine State's primary on Tuesday, shows Romney up by 16 points, with 44 percent support. Former House Speaker Gingrich pulled 28 percent support.

The poll, conducted Saturday, reflects a significant turnaround during the past week, Rasmussen noted. On Jan. 22, just after Gingrich’s overwhelming win in the South Carolina Primary, he led Romney by nine. By the middle of the week, Romney was back in control with an eight-point advantage. Despite all the ups and downs, the results today are very similar to polling results found in Florida three weeks ago, coming off Romney’s decisive victory in the New Hampshire primary, Rasmussen’s analysis stated.

Former Pennsylvania Rick Santorum earned 12 percent support in the new poll, while Texas Congressman Ron Paul picks up 10 percent. One percent prefer some other candidate, and 5 percent are undecided.

Republican voters are looking first and foremost for a candidate who can beat Obama. Earlier in the week, when Gingrich was leading in Florida, the Sunshine State's primary voters were evenly divided as to whether Romney or Gingrich would be the stronger general election candidate. By mid-week, as Romney regained the lead, he had a 15-point advantage over Gingrich on this question. Today, 53 percent believe that Romney is the strongest candidate against the president, while 29 percent believe Gingrich fits that role, Rasmussen found.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Rasmussen-Republican-Gingrich-Romney/2012/01/29/id/425855

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #580 on: January 29, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
RCP average:

Gingrich - 30.3%
Romney - 27.5%
Santorum - 16.3%
Paul - 12.8%   

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/republican_presidential_nomination-1452.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #581 on: January 29, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
RCP average:

Gingrich - 30.3%
Romney - 27.5%
Santorum - 16.3%
Paul - 12.8%   

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/republican_presidential_nomination-1452.html

Myth is going to be a disaster regardless.     

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #582 on: January 29, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »

Myth is going to be a disaster regardless.     

Maybe, but he'll be a big improvement over Obama.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #583 on: January 29, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »
Maybe, but he'll be a big improvement over Obama.

Im doubting that more and more each day TBH.  Its really sad, Romney is a white obama w better business experience, but sadly, when he was govenor he acted like a lib!     

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #584 on: January 29, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »
Im doubting that more and more each day TBH.  Its really sad, Romney is a white obama w better business experience, but sadly, when he was govenor he acted like a lib!     

I don't trust any of those politicians, but I'd much rather have a successful businessman running the country during an economic crisis than a community organizer. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #585 on: January 29, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »
which is why, if worst comes to worst, I could live with Mitt.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #586 on: January 29, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
if it's tied, then romney wins. ppl been voting for weeks here in FL - before the SC primary.

ron paul stickers and signs are everywhere in SW Florida.  i have seen a lot of romney stickers in Colliers county (Naples). 

Newt - nowhere.  Sign of poor campaign infrastructure?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #587 on: February 04, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
RCP as of today:

Romney - 30.0%
Gingrich - 26.6%
Santorum - 16.0%
Paul - 12.8%

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #588 on: February 04, 2012, 11:53:22 AM »
Popular vote tally to date:

Romney - 1,071,281
Gingrich - 817,396
Santorum - 378,827
Paul - 278,565

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/republican_vote_count.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #589 on: February 11, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »
RCP as of yesterday:

Romney - 30.6%
Santorum - 24.2%   
Gingrich - 20.4%   
Paul - 13.6%   

I don't think Santorum's wins amount to much of anything.  Romney is going to win Michigan, VA, CA, etc.  Here is the current delegate count:

Romney - 124
Gingrich - 38
Santorum - 37
Paul - 27

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #590 on: February 18, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
Maybe I'm in denial, but I don't just don't believe this.  RCP as of today:

Santorum - 34.3%
Romney - 27.7%   
Gingrich - 14.5%   
Paul - 12.3%

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #591 on: February 25, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »
RCP as of today:

Santorum - 33.4%
Romney - 28.4%   
Gingrich - 14.6%
Paul - 12.4%

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #592 on: February 26, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »
Arizona Governor Brewer endorses Romney
Published February 26, 2012
Associated Press

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer is endorsing Mitt Romney in her state's Republican presidential primary on Tuesday.

Brewer says she had looked at all the candidates and decided to endorse the former Massachusetts governor.

Brewer says Romney's business background appealed to her.

She says, "I think he'd serve Americans the best of all the candidates," adding that she thinks he's the candidate who could win November's election.

The endorsement came during an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press", and four days after Romney and three rivals appeared in a debate in Mesa, Ariz.

The former Massachusetts governor is expected to win Tuesday contest in Arizona, which is home to a significant Mormon population.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/26/arizona-governor-brewer-endorses-romney/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #593 on: February 26, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
Santorum's lead disappears in national poll
Posted by
CNN Political Unit

(CNN) – Rick Santorum, who last week enjoyed a 10-point nationwide lead over Mitt Romney, is now within one point of his chief GOP rival after dropping several points in Gallup's daily tracking poll.

The survey taken February 22-24 showed Santorum with the backing of 31% of registered Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, down two points from Friday and down five points from his peak on Wednesday.

Support for Romney rose to 30%, a much-needed boost for the candidate who stood at 25% on Wednesday.

For the ongoing poll, Gallup surveys more than 1,000 registered Republican voters on a daily basis. The poll drops the oldest of five days each day and adds results from the most recent day of polling.

In the latest survey, Gallup questioned 1,153 Republicans and Republican-leaning independents by telephone between February 20 and February 24. The survey has a sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points.

The results Saturday include two days of polling after CNN's Republican presidential debate in Arizona, the final time the four candidates squared off before key contests in Michigan and Arizona next week, as well as the votes in 10 states on Super Tuesday, March 6.

The two other candidates in the race, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, were both well behind the two front-runners. Gingrich stood at 16% and Paul was at 11%. Neither Gingrich nor Paul has seen a change in his numbers since Thursday.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/25/santorums-national-lead-shrinks-to-1-point/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #594 on: March 04, 2012, 06:41:28 PM »
RCP as of today:

Romney - 36.7%   
Santorum - 27.3%
Gingrich - 15.3%   
Paul - 9.7%    

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #595 on: March 04, 2012, 06:48:50 PM »
Popular vote count ahead of Super Tuesday:

Romney - 1,786,594
Gingrich -    989,187
Santorum - 956,245   
Paul - 479,835    

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/republican_vote_count.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #596 on: March 10, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
Current RCP average:

Romney - 37.3%
Santorum - 27.7%
Gingrich - 14.3%
Paul - 11.3%

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #597 on: March 10, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
Current delegate count:

Romney - 447
Santorum - 170
Gingrich - 118
Paul - 67   

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/scorecard/statebystate/r

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #598 on: March 17, 2012, 10:12:42 AM »
RCP average:

Romney - 35.1%   
Santorum - 29.3%
Gingrich - 14.4%   
Paul - 11.0%   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #599 on: March 17, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »
Delegate count:

Romney - 498
Santorum - 239
Gingrich - 139
Paul - 69

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries.html