Author Topic: Tampa mom makes son wear sign announcing 1.22 GPA  (Read 2075 times)

newmom

Re: Tampa mom makes son wear sign announcing 1.22 GPA
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:23 PM »
They can make the kid stand on the street corner and hold up sign humiliating him  for 4 hours but can get him to study and do his homework?

Sound more like a failure in parenting to me.

some kids need to learn the hard way..I think it's more for his embarrasement

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 05:09:38 PM »
Yeah maybe so, but I still think it is a failure of parenting.  I understand that I do not know the kid or how the parents have tried to motivate him.  But honestly, at 15, making the kid humiliate himself like that will Affect him negatively. 

newmom

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
Yeah maybe so, but I still think it is a failure of parenting.  I understand that I do not know the kid or how the parents have tried to motivate him.  But honestly, at 15, making the kid humiliate himself like that will Affect him negatively. 

Perhaps it could. But like you said we don't know the kid nor the parents per se. Perhaps he thinks he knows it all and think the parents are idiots for telling him to take school seriously (not sure if that's the case just taking a stab at it)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
Perhaps it could. But like you said we don't know the kid nor the parents per se. Perhaps he thinks he knows it all and think the parents are idiots for telling him to take school seriously (not sure if that's the case just taking a stab at it)

Yeah, that sounds typical....  My son is in his last few months of teen aging so I know first hand about that.  But still what I Don't understand is how they can get a 15 year old boy and "make" him stand on the street corner but can't get him to study.  That just doesn't mAke any sense to me.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »
That's terrible.  We've had the same problems here.  Sometimes our people take the goal of "reunification" too far.  More than once they have failed to permanently remove a kid from an abusive environment that resulted in further injury or death.  Sad. 

There was one kid down here that went missing for 3 years and the DFC never even bothered to go to the home to check.  For 3 years they sat around and did nothing to try to contact or make a recovery of this kid when the mother and grandmother both couldn't produce the child and instead were constantly saying the child was at the other's home.  It was big news for a while and then died down.

Until about six months later someone exposed the fact that the case worker that failed to do her job and instead falsified field reports the entire 3 years to make it look like she was out there trying to make contact was still employed there.  

Half of the people that work for DFACs can't take care of their own kids and yet they are entrusted to make life changing decisions for other people's kids.

newmom

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »
Yeah, that sounds typical....  My son is in his last few months of teen aging so I know first hand about that.  But still what I Don't understand is how they can get a 15 year old boy and "make" him stand on the street corner but can't get him to study.  That just doesn't mAke any sense to me.

hey I was one of those too many many moons ago. Thought my folks were idiots. By the time I was 20 I thought, oh crap they arn't stupid after all

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
I agree...

Again it depends on the child themself...My first punishment that I can remember was I took candy from a Kroger honestly I didnt really even know it was bad per se it was the kind you just stuck in a bag and took to the register that ppl took "free samples" from but my mom noticed i was eating some as we got in the car and made me march back into the Kroger return the candy and apologize to the manager.

I remember being extremely embarrassed at the time and it made a huge impression on me...

it really depends on the child and how the respond to certain stimuli imho...

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
What if your mom made you stand on the street  corner for 4 hours  holding up a sign that said I am a bad kid and a thief?

Just thinking...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 03:57:55 AM »
What if your mom made you stand on the street  corner for 4 hours  holding up a sign that said I am a bad kid and a thief?

Just thinking...
again to me it would have made a big impression on me and I would have really thought to myself next time I did something that would get me in trouble "hmmm if they punished me like that last time, how are they going to punish me if i do this?"

but then again the two scenarios dont really relate as mine was a first offense and wasnt really a pattern and this kids parents seem to have tried many different approaches before resorting to this tactic.

on a slightly related note...LOL a judge here in Houston made a husband and a wife stand on a corner with a sign that said something about how they stole money every friday morning for about 3 or 4  hours for like 2 months as part of their punishment.

I think punishments effectiveness depends on the individual being punished.

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 04:58:41 AM »

Just thinking...

Better than prison

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 05:25:06 AM »

Just thinking...

haha, compared to the punishments I received growing up that would have been a vacation.....LOL

newmom

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 05:26:11 AM »
haha, compared to the punishments I received growing up that would have been a vacation.....LOL

a flipping men..

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 05:45:59 AM »
a flipping men..

My parents were VERY old-school.....I can remember watching TV with my brothers and some show was talking about being "grounded" like it was the end of the world.....we just laughed as we had no idea what that even was.

newmom

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 05:54:04 AM »
My parents were VERY old-school.....I can remember watching TV with my brothers and some show was talking about being "grounded" like it was the end of the world.....we just laughed as we had no idea what that even was.

My father was the strictest mofo ever. Ya know, master chief thing, because his parents, gramps an officer type stuff. LMAO grounded, he did that once. Rest oh man. As I got into my teens, I knew consequences of stupid actions so there for I tried not to do stupid shit, although a few times I did. Mom, pretty much walk over

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
It all really depends on the kid.  With some kids, all you need to do is talk to them.  With others, you have to use some pretty harsh measures.  I'd never have my kid hold a sign, but perhaps that was what this kid needed.  We'd really need to see what has happened leading up to that punishment to have a more informed opinion. 

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »
Bad parenting. Im not saying that this is being too hard on the kid. Far from it. I dont feel sorry for him at all and no one should feel sorry for him. But it shouldnt even have to come down to this. When I went to high school, it was understood in my house that you just didnt perform this poorly in school. Im sorry, highschool is too easy to be getting a 1.22 GPA.  When I was going to school this wasnt even an option. You just didnt even consider it. THe kid is lucky this is about him being humilitaed and not about him being kicked out of the house, or about him getting yelled at in the face, or having his room ransacked and confiscated for drugs to try to find out what is keeping him from doing his homework.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!