Author Topic: Fishing success dependent on positive attitude!!!  (Read 974 times)

Alex23

Fishing success dependent on positive attitude!!!
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:26:49 PM »
http://www.ledger-dispatch.com/sports/sportsview.asp?c=276878&topStory=1

By Mark Kautz

Do you, as a fisherman, think attitude affects your ability to catch fish? I do. Some years ago, while I was in college, I was talking to another student, after class, about fishing. I said that a person has to have a positive attitude to catch fish.

What do I mean by positive attitude? When people go fishing, most of them go with an attitude that says, "I'd sure like to catch a fish." Well, they might catch one or two with that kind of attitude, but what fishermen really want is a limit. To achieve that, a fisherman needs three things: one, he or she needs the right attitude - "The fish are there, I'm going to catch a limit!"; two, one needs a bait that the fish want, whether it's Power Bait, night crawlers, or a particular lure; three, a little luck would help.

Why three things instead of just attitude? Let me give you an example. Last Friday, I went fishing at Lake Camanche. I fished in the same place I'd fished on Feb. 7, when I caught five trout, again on Feb. 10, when I caught four (I had to leave early), but, on that day, I got skunked. I got skunked because of my attitude. I had the right bait and I had luck on my side, because I'd caught fish in that very place, but my attitude was, how can I describe it nicely, bad.

I had been waiting for a delivery of fishing gear from Cabela's. Some of the things in that shipment I wanted to use at the lake. UPS tracking said they delivered it on Thursday at 1:14 p.m. I was home on Thursday at 1:14 p.m. In fact, I was on my roof, cleaning the flue for my woodstove, and UPS did not come to my house. After stopping by the post office, to see if UPS had delivered there, as they sometimes do, and discovering that my shipment wasn't there either, my anger level was going up several notches every time I thought about it. So, by the time I got to the lake, my attitude was pretty bad and getting worse by the minute.

I sat in my lawn chair, rods in the water, and caught nothing. Oh, the fish were there. Guys all around me were catching, but not me. I didn't even get a bite. As I sat there catching nothing, while everyone around me caught fish, my attitude slowly sank to depths I don't even want to talk about.

That is what a negative attitude will do to you.

As counterpoint, I'd like to give an example of a positive attitude. Pictured with this article are my son, Ken, his brother-in-law, Dan, and their friend, Danny, from Los Angeles. We had gone to Red Lake to fish for brook trout. It was later in the year, Oct. 10 to be exact. It was cold and windy, and a storm was climbing over Carson Pass that was expected to drop huge amounts of snow right where we were. It would probably be the last time we could fish Red Lake until ice-out the next spring. That didn't stop us from getting out there and catching some of those beautiful brook trout that Red Lake is famous for. Ken and his friends from Los Angeles were up for the weekend and we were bound and determined to give them a great fishing day. It's clear from the picture that the eight trout on their stringer that the day was successful. That day, we had a positive attitude - get up there and get them.

So you see, attitude plays a big part in catching fish. Well, so do the right bait and a little luck. Go ahead, get out there and give that old attitude a shot.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Fishing success dependent on positive attitude!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:32:16 PM »
Branch Warren knows how to catch fish...

Alex23

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
Branch Warren knows how to catch fish...

The trifecta; Funny, bodybuilding related and positive.

Well played.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
Fish can sense a negative attitude. They want to be caught by the Alphaest fisher there.

Alex23

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »
Fish can sense a negative attitude. They want to be caught by the Alphaest fisher there.

...Same applies to women, I am the living proof, they love me.

Good perspective Grim Lifter.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
Are you suggesting we should all hang out together and play with our Rods for success?

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
...Same applies to women, I am the living proof, they love me.

Good perspective Grim Lifter.

yes, they all love you chubby

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 06:30:12 PM »
 8)
I