Author Topic: Goddamn, just saw a Chute Boxe guy tapping to strikes... gonna puke!!!  (Read 10721 times)

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Re: Goddamn, just saw a Chute Boxe guy tapping to strikes... gonna puke!!!
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 06:45:04 AM »

Did you saw Jones covering  Shogun's mouth? even Joe Rogan during the fight said that is illegal.

Totally legal and very smart.  You can't "fish hook" and opponent, but what Jones was doing was legal.  Rogan was also saying is WAS LEGAL.

He mentions it with about 2:20 left in the 2nd round if you want to verify.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 08:22:23 AM »

MONTREAL -- A revised edition of the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts were passed Thursday by the Association of Boxing Commissions via a majority vote at the ABC's annual conference.

The amended document -- drafted by the ABC's MMA Chairman Dale Kliparchuk, New Jersey State Athletic Control Board Deputy Attorney Nick Lembo, ABC President Timothy Leuckenhoff, California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer Armando Garcia* and veteran referee "Big" John McCarthy -- primarily provided clarifications to the already existing Unified Rules instituted in April 2001 that serve as a regulatory beacon for the sport throughout North America.

The motion to pass the revised document was introduced by Commissioner Gary Litchfield of Massachusetts, and Utah representative Bill Colbert seconded the motion.

Forty regulatory bodies were in attendance for the annual event, which convened state and tribal athletic commissions from the United States and Canada. The California State Athletic Commission and the Nevada State Athletic Commission, both known for regulating a large share of MMA events, did not have representatives in attendance.

Within the revised regulations, verbiage was added to further define what constitutes an illegal strike to the back of a competitor's head. The revised rules now distinguish the back of the head as the "crown of the head down the centerline of the skill into the spine, with a 1 inch variance to each side." This is commonly referred to as the "Mohawk" definition.

This definition was of prime importance to commission members, who in recent months have diverged in their interpretation of the parameters of the illegal area with the existing text.  CSAC confirmed it had informally clarified the regulation with its officials based on medical data and recommendations to include the area from ear to ear, which is utilized in boxing. The NSAC had said it had informally adopted this definition to its jurisdiction as well.

Proponents supporting the ear-to-ear definition spoke of the need to preserve fighter safety, particularly in dealing with the tender area along the spine.

"Behind the ear should be illegal, period," said Arizona commissioner John Montano. "If you want to give one inch and the guy says, ‘I'm sorry. I missed it by an inch.' No, I'm not going to answer to somebody that missed it by an inch. It's very simple. Don't hit behind the ear and you won't miss it by an inch."

McCarthy, who presented the revisions to ABC members with Kliparchuk and Lembo, told the group that the "Mohawk" definition had always been the intended interpretation of the rule since its 2001 inception and had never been the cause of serious injury during the sport's tenure. McCarthy urged that altering the definition to include the entire back area would alter the mechanics of the sport.

McCarthy described the scenario in which one fighter can take another's back, but would no longer be able to punch his opponent from that position.

"If you start doing things to try and make boxing fit within MMA, you start to allow the rules to control a position so the fighter can actually go to that position because they realize they can not be attacked there. The opponent who had dominance over me now doesn't have the ability to do much to me," said McCarthy.

In addition, verbiage prohibiting elbow strikes in the downward "12-to-6 o'clock" motion was stricken, as the original rule's intention was to prohibit the technique to the restricted spinal cord area, not ban the actual movement itself. Elbow strikes of all kinds are now permissible, except to illegal areas.

Smothering the mouth or nose of an opponent has been added to the Unified Rules' fouls list, prohibiting a fighter from using his hand to prevent his opponent's ability to breathe. According to the new verbiage, this does not include choke attempts where a fighter's mouth is covered by his opponent's arm.

Fouls constituting unsportsmanlike conduct were consolidated together in the revised document, while the recovery period allowed to a fouled fighter was clarified in the new text. A fighter who has been struck with a low blow will have up to five minutes to recover. All other fouls will be assessed by a physician, who will make a determination within five minutes if the fighter is fit to continue.

A proposed amendment allowing knees to the head of a downed opponent did not make it into the revised regulations for a vote. ABC President Leuckenhoff said the technique had been discussed in the weeks prior to the conference, but it was decided the move would be too radical for some legislatures still considering the sport at this time.

Though it drew no talk or review at the conference, fourteen weight classes are now defined in the men's division under the revised Unified Rules, beginning at the 105-pound flyweight division and moving up in 10-pound increments to super heavyweight at 265 pounds and over.
Gracie Rules

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »

MONTREAL -- A revised edition of the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts were passed Thursday by the Association of Boxing Commissions via a majority vote at the ABC's annual conference.

The amended document -- drafted by the ABC's MMA Chairman Dale Kliparchuk, New Jersey State Athletic Control Board Deputy Attorney Nick Lembo, ABC President Timothy Leuckenhoff, California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer Armando Garcia* and veteran referee "Big" John McCarthy -- primarily provided clarifications to the already existing Unified Rules instituted in April 2001 that serve as a regulatory beacon for the sport throughout North America.

The motion to pass the revised document was introduced by Commissioner Gary Litchfield of Massachusetts, and Utah representative Bill Colbert seconded the motion.

Forty regulatory bodies were in attendance for the annual event, which convened state and tribal athletic commissions from the United States and Canada. The California State Athletic Commission and the Nevada State Athletic Commission, both known for regulating a large share of MMA events, did not have representatives in attendance.

Within the revised regulations, verbiage was added to further define what constitutes an illegal strike to the back of a competitor's head. The revised rules now distinguish the back of the head as the "crown of the head down the centerline of the skill into the spine, with a 1 inch variance to each side." This is commonly referred to as the "Mohawk" definition.

This definition was of prime importance to commission members, who in recent months have diverged in their interpretation of the parameters of the illegal area with the existing text.  CSAC confirmed it had informally clarified the regulation with its officials based on medical data and recommendations to include the area from ear to ear, which is utilized in boxing. The NSAC had said it had informally adopted this definition to its jurisdiction as well.

Proponents supporting the ear-to-ear definition spoke of the need to preserve fighter safety, particularly in dealing with the tender area along the spine.

"Behind the ear should be illegal, period," said Arizona commissioner John Montano. "If you want to give one inch and the guy says, ‘I'm sorry. I missed it by an inch.' No, I'm not going to answer to somebody that missed it by an inch. It's very simple. Don't hit behind the ear and you won't miss it by an inch."

McCarthy, who presented the revisions to ABC members with Kliparchuk and Lembo, told the group that the "Mohawk" definition had always been the intended interpretation of the rule since its 2001 inception and had never been the cause of serious injury during the sport's tenure. McCarthy urged that altering the definition to include the entire back area would alter the mechanics of the sport.

McCarthy described the scenario in which one fighter can take another's back, but would no longer be able to punch his opponent from that position.

"If you start doing things to try and make boxing fit within MMA, you start to allow the rules to control a position so the fighter can actually go to that position because they realize they can not be attacked there. The opponent who had dominance over me now doesn't have the ability to do much to me," said McCarthy.

In addition, verbiage prohibiting elbow strikes in the downward "12-to-6 o'clock" motion was stricken, as the original rule's intention was to prohibit the technique to the restricted spinal cord area, not ban the actual movement itself. Elbow strikes of all kinds are now permissible, except to illegal areas.

Smothering the mouth or nose of an opponent has been added to the Unified Rules' fouls list, prohibiting a fighter from using his hand to prevent his opponent's ability to breathe. According to the new verbiage, this does not include choke attempts where a fighter's mouth is covered by his opponent's arm.

Fouls constituting unsportsmanlike conduct were consolidated together in the revised document, while the recovery period allowed to a fouled fighter was clarified in the new text. A fighter who has been struck with a low blow will have up to five minutes to recover. All other fouls will be assessed by a physician, who will make a determination within five minutes if the fighter is fit to continue.

A proposed amendment allowing knees to the head of a downed opponent did not make it into the revised regulations for a vote. ABC President Leuckenhoff said the technique had been discussed in the weeks prior to the conference, but it was decided the move would be too radical for some legislatures still considering the sport at this time.

Though it drew no talk or review at the conference, fourteen weight classes are now defined in the men's division under the revised Unified Rules, beginning at the 105-pound flyweight division and moving up in 10-pound increments to super heavyweight at 265 pounds and over.

Jones was not smothering by definition.  He was at most impairing/hampering and actively moving his hands.

What Jones was doing was legal and is fairly common.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »
They should get rid of that blemish on Jones record since the 12-6 elbow was misinterpreted. 

Also, why is smothering the opponent illegal?  What's the rationale behind that?
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
Regardless of any legal or illegal smothering etc, Rua still woulda lost that fight in convincing fashion.  He was absolutely, unequivocally ZERO match for Bones. 

Bones is like a bigger version of Silva.  The scariest part is that Jones is 23 years old and has barely scratched the surface in terms of knowledge and skill he will learn in his career.  It's easy to say this now, but he has potential to be the GOAT someday imo.  Time will tell.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2011, 11:49:40 AM »
Regardless of any legal or illegal smothering etc, Rua still woulda lost that fight in convincing fashion.  He was absolutely, unequivocally ZERO match for Bones. 

Bones is like a bigger version of Silva.  The scariest part is that Jones is 23 years old and has barely scratched the surface in terms of knowledge and skill he will learn in his career.  It's easy to say this now, but he has potential to be the GOAT someday imo.  Time will tell.

Yep, Machida, Rampage, Lil Nog, Rashad will all go down the same way. Jones will beat them all with relative ease just like Shogun. You can't beat someone you can't get close to. Rua didn't look himself to me that night and fought poorly, but I dont think it would have mattered either. He had nothing for him. The bigger skilled fighter always beats the smaller skilled fighter.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »
Yep, Machida, Rampage, Lil Nog, Rashad will all go down the same way. Jones will beat them all with relative ease just like Shogun. You can't beat someone you can't get close to. Rua didn't look himself to me that night and fought poorly, but I dont think it would have mattered either. He had nothing for him. The bigger skilled fighter always beats the smaller skilled fighter.

If the skill sets are equal, that is correct. But we have seen plenty of instances where a smaller guy beats a bigger guy. The smaller guy simply needs to be better in an area the bigger guy can't handle.

Bones is not that much bigger than Phil Davis. And Davis is arguably a better wrestler. He just needs to continue to improve his stand up.
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »

Did you saw Jones covering  Shogun's mouth? even Joe Rogan during the fight said that is illegal.

LOL @ Gracie crying because his Brazilian boy got SMASHED.  ;D
Stop with the excuses...Shogun isn't making any, and he doesn't need his fan boys to make them.
!

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
Stop with the excuses...Shogun isn't making any, and he doesn't need his fan boys to make them.

lol "fan boys"? Most of us aren't here to be "fanboys", we're here to constructively analyze mixed martial arts so stop with the childish 'my dad can beat your dad BS' please. Do you not respect Rua as a fighter or something? What is it?

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »

Has Shogun made any comments yet?  Just curious.. 

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »

I'm not making any excuses. ;)

Gracie Rules

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »
Has Shogun made any comments yet?  Just curious.. 
He's made a few comments, basically stating that Jones is a great fighter and that he's not making any excuses.

This quote comes either from Shogun directly, or most likely written by someone in his camp.

"There are no excuses! Now what remains is to work hard and begin our way back to the top. For those who find means to criticize the posture of our team for statements made to the press, Jon Jones looked for me on Sunday night in the hotel hall to apologize for his behavior in the press, that it was part of the pre-fight plan and he emphasized his admiration for Shogun. Let’s get back to work. Shogun made it before and will do it again."
!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »
I see.   I know Rua is a gentleman for the most part and wouldn't really slam another fighter.  Just wondered if he'd make any statements to just how good Bones may be.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »
I see.   I know Rua is a gentleman for the most part and wouldn't really slam another fighter.  Just wondered if he'd make any statements to just how good Bones may be.

Like, `I couldn`t get within 10 feet of him without being hit, and he`s long as fuck lol

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2011, 02:55:38 PM »
I'm not making any excuses. ;)

That was not 100% Shogun.

Again would Jones knock out a 100% Shogun? never.

Congratulations to Jones... for now.

::)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »

Most thought that Machida was unbeatable because no one could "touch" him.  Then he ran into Rua.  All of Fedor's ball-licking fans thought he was unbeatable until he got in there with some real opposition.

Everyone loses in MMA and Jones is no exception.  Styles make fights.  I am soooo looking forward to seeing him mix it up with the current crop of LHWs.  Who knows what we're going to see....
w

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

Everyone loses in MMA and Jones is no exception.  Styles make fights. 

yes...

Jones's has been impressive but it's almost comical to see people saying he's unbeatable, I'm not really gonna sit here and put down Rua but let's see Jones get a couple of title defenses under his belt before we get carried away...

I still think Machida is going to give him problems and I don't even like Machida.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
Everyone loses in MMA and Jones is no exception.  Styles make fights.  I am soooo looking forward to seeing him mix it up with the current crop of LHWs.  Who knows what we're going to see....
Spot on. This is what I stated in another thread. Hell, maybe it was THIS thread, I can't keep track. lol  :P

The LHW division is the deepest in the UFC, so Jones WILL be tested. It's just a question of which matchup frustrates his style the most. It won't be easy, though. Jones is "the real deal," and I believe he's going to get better.

What sucks for me is that I happen to be a fan of several guys in that weight class in addition to Jon Jones. Rampage is my boy, but if he gets past Hamill I can't see him beating Jones.  :-\ I like Machida, and his style could "potentially" frustrate Jones, but I have strong doubts.

Now I am not going to make myself out to be a die hard Phil Davis fan, but I  like to watch him fight, and he seems to be an engaging guy with a great personality. To me and many others, he's got tremendous potential, and the physical attributes to make for a great fight against Bones. Uriah Faber said is much in the post-fight press conference Saturday night. Let's see how Phil looks this weekend against Lil Nog. The wrestling is already there...its his striking that needs to show improvement.
!

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »
Most thought that Machida was unbeatable because no one could "touch" him.  Then he ran into Rua.  All of Fedor's ball-licking fans thought he was unbeatable until he got in there with some real opposition.

Terrible comparison. Jones is fighting guys way smaller than him and nobody can even get close to him because of his reach. He wont get beaten by anyone at LHW, HW is a different story though.  He wouldn't look so impressive. Fedor starting fighting better comp, near the end of his career so in his case its a combination of both factors. Everyone gets beat, but Jones and Silva won't.

Machida and Shogun are still the best fighters at their size, but if say JDS, Arlovski, Cain, Kharitonov or Fedor were to move down they would both receive terrible beatings from those fighters. Like you witnessed this past weekend.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2011, 02:13:10 PM »
Terrible comparison. Jones is fighting guys way smaller than him and nobody can even get close to him because of his reach. He wont get beaten by anyone at LHW, HW is a different story though.  He wouldn't look so impressive. Fedor starting fighting better comp, near the end of his career so in his case its a combination of both factors. Everyone gets beat, but Jones and Silva won't.

Machida and Shogun are still the best fighters at their size, but if say JDS, Arlovski, Cain, Kharitonov or Fedor were to move down they would both receive terrible beatings from those fighters. Like you witnessed this past weekend.

When I made the comparison, I wasn't implying that Jones & Machida had similar fighting styles...obviously they don't.  To say that someone is unbeatable in their weight class is absurd.  Silva has already been beaten and showed the holes in his game when Sonnen had his way with him for 23 minutes of a 24 minute fight.

As I said, styles make fights.  Right now it may seem like Jones is unbeatable because we have not seen anyone crack the code...but, someone will.  It's just a matter of time... 
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »

You really need to wrap your head around weight classes... You act like Jones making 205 is easy and comes at no risk to him.

Fact is JDS, Arlvloski, and the other HW mentioned, don't want the risks of cutting to 205. Get it?

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »
You really need to wrap your head around weight classes... You act like Jones making 205 is easy and comes at no risk to him.

Fact is JDS, Arlvloski, and the other HW mentioned, don't want the risks of cutting to 205. Get it?

NOt saying they would, but if they DID no natural LHWs would stand a chance in hell. Again, we saw an example of what that would look like last Saturday.

And no, I act like Jones has no real competition at 205, which he doesn't.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
NOt saying they would, but if they DID no natural LHWs would stand a chance in hell. Again, we saw an example of what that would look like last Saturday.

And no, I act like Jones has no real competition at 205, which he doesn't.

Jones has no real competiton becuase of more than his size.  Look at Bader, Griffin,Thiago, and many others...they cut just as much as Jones.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
Most fighters are cutting 15-20 lbs to make their weight class.  The only exception is in the heavies.  Most fight at their regular weight. Even there though, you're seeing guys like Carwin & Lesnar having to cut to make weight...
w

suckmymuscle

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2011, 04:56:59 AM »
All of Fedor's ball-licking fans thought he was unbeatable until he got in there with some real opposition.

Fedor dominated Big Nog in his prime....almost 3 times. I hardly think a prime Big Nog wasn't real opposition. Then, he demolished 5 men who were good enough to win the UFC heavyweight belt. So you can't really blame his fans for thinking he was invincible.

But yes, Fedor lost when he went into the guard of a BJJ World champion and made the retarded decision to grapple with him and even BJJ masters tap to other BJJ masters so there is no surprise there, and he also lost to a 6'4 man who had 57 lean pounds on him and a 5" reach advantage even though he went 1-1 on 2 rounds and lost due to a doctor stoppage and not because he was KOd.

I stand by my statement that Fedor is the G.O.A.T: make no mistake, a prime Fedor(2005) would demolish the entire UFC, including Jon Jones who is roughly his size.

SUCKMYMUSCLE