Author Topic: Baseball is almost here.  (Read 12264 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Baseball is almost here.
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2011, 03:39:15 PM »
I used to agree with that but Peter Angelos is finally learning to step back and let the baseball people he hired run the team. The first big indication to me that the Orioles were getting serious about winning was the re-signing of Nick Markakis. By signing Derrick Lee and Vlad Guerrero, you can clearly see the difference to the start of the season Markakis is having now that he has some protection in the batting order.

I think what you're seeing is just Markakis gravitating back to where he should be after a down year.  Lineup protection has been proven to be a myth.

Y

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2011, 07:44:20 PM »

Hopefully the Red Sucks will never win a game :)

Everyone on the Red Sox contracted the HIV virus. They believe it was caused after the team ran a train on Theo Epstein, who is believed to have caught the strain after having butt sex with a monkey. true story.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »
Everyone on the Red Sox contracted the HIV virus. They believe it was caused after the team ran a train on Theo Epstein, who is believed to have caught the strain after having butt sex with a monkey. true story.

I thought they got it because Varitek was so good at receiving Schilling split finger.....
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 07:58:16 AM »
I think what you're seeing is just Markakis gravitating back to where he should be after a down year.  Lineup protection has been proven to be a myth.

bullshit. Lineup protection is a myth? How do you figure?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
bullshit. Lineup protection is a myth? How do you figure?

For me to answer, please tell me what you think it means, and the corresponding result of it.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »
For me to answer, please tell me what you think it means, and the corresponding result of it.

To me, the concept of lineup protection is that it enables certain hitters in a batting order to receive better pitches to put in play. The dangerous teams out there possess the circular lineups, like the Yankees.

But if a quality hitter in the 3 spot doesn't have a dangerous clean-up hitter batting behind him, pitchers would be more liable to throw more junk. As a pitcher you wouldn't want to put a hitter on base with a walk, knowing that the cleanup hitter is batting next and poses a real threat to get 1 or 2 RBI's.(or knowing a dangerous #5 hitter is up next, too.)

Just my .2

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2011, 10:27:53 AM »
To me, the concept of lineup protection is that it enables certain hitters in a batting order to receive better pitches to put in play. The dangerous teams out there possess the circular lineups, like the Yankees.

But if a quality hitter in the 3 spot doesn't have a dangerous clean-up hitter batting behind him, pitchers would be more liable to throw more junk. As a pitcher you wouldn't want to put a hitter on base with a walk, knowing that the cleanup hitter is batting next and poses a real threat to get 1 or 2 RBI's.(or knowing a dangerous #5 hitter is up next, too.)

Just my .2

No, I hear you, and that's the popular notion of it.  Better pitches means basically more fastballs, for the reasons you stated.

But there's been guys who actually look at every single pitch to see if it's true.  They also look at lineup construction to see if there's any outliers that result for batters when they have different players behind/in front of them.   After looking at these results, they see that there's not much difference.  Great players, like Adrian Gonzalez, will hit well with a shitty team like SD, or with better hitters around him like Youkilis.  At the end of the day they'll still get their numbers.  Could this make a difference in a few at bats?  Of course. But it normalizes over time and genuinely won't skew a player's stats significantly.

Markakis was a great hitter in 2008 and I think he had Aubrey Huff as his clean up.  He's a great hitter who's had two or so "off" years.  I think we're just going to see him gravitate back to the player he is, rather than giving Guerrero and company credit for it.

There's a lot of stuff out there that discusses this stuff.  If you're interested, here's an article that probably says it better than I could:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1042

But you can probably find articles that argue the contrary.  To me, these guys have made sense most of the time.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
decent article but I'm still not convinced that lineup protection is a myth.

As an opposing pitcher facing a #3 hitter, I'd feel more comfortable facing Luke Scott rather than A-Rod as the next hitter.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »
decent article but I'm still not convinced that lineup protection is a myth.

As an opposing pitcher facing a #3 hitter, I'd feel more comfortable facing Luke Scott rather than A-Rod as the next hitter.

Of course.  But over the course of a full season it probably won't change the #3 hitter's stats by anything substantial.
Y

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
0-5. Loving it haha

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 06:06:24 AM »
0-5. Loving it haha

I'd enjoy more if I didn't understand that it will normalize and the Yankees and sox will be fighting it out all year.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 06:08:14 PM »
0-6  ;D ???

Btw, where is bod  ???

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 07:01:12 AM »
Bump for no other reason that a fucking soccer thread should NEVER be above a baseball or football thread on an American message board.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »
Orioles 5-1. Vladimir's bat is starting to wake up!  ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »
no matter what i don't think any team will start off like the 1984 detroit tigers 35 and 5 after the first 40 games all-time record start, finished 104-58 and won ws.
F

body88

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2011, 07:40:36 PM »
Been traveling a lot.

Sox stinking it up, but will bounce back strong and contend for the WS. Far to much talent to play this way forever.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
earl making his momma proud.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »
Why do you idiots still boo Damon? Get over yourselves. ::)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
Cleveland is a suprise so far this year and Mattingly has the Dodgers playing well.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2011, 06:00:08 AM »
Looks like the Orioles found out what it's like to step up to the big boys..... :D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2011, 06:25:30 AM »
That was a nice win, but Hughes needs to improve or it will catch up to us.

I've never seen a pitcher with more of a inability to put hitters away with an 0-2 count.

If Burnett can stay the course and Hughes get a little better, this team will contend throughout until they pick up another pitcher.  I understand the reasons why, but not going all in on Danny Haren when he was available really hurts.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2011, 06:31:11 AM »
That was a nice win, but Hughes needs to improve or it will catch up to us.

I've never seen a pitcher with more of a inability to put hitters away with an 0-2 count.

If Burnett can stay the course and Hughes get a little better, this team will contend throughout until they pick up another pitcher.  I understand the reasons why, but not going all in on Danny Haren when he was available really hurts.

Well his fastball gained a little so I'm sure they {and us} hope that continues and he gets back to 92-94mph.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2011, 06:57:14 AM »

Well his fastball gained a little so I'm sure they {and us} hope that continues and he gets back to 92-94mph.

Yes.  They had him doing long-toss to build up the arm and it seemed to work a bit.  Probably just a slow start.  I wish he would go back to the change up he used to throw instead of so many cutters (that don't cut).
Y

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2011, 07:12:09 AM »
Looks like the Orioles found out what it's like to step up to the big boys..... :D
:'( :'(

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
rockies tulowitzi 7 bombs in 44 at bats send him in for drug testing.
F