Author Topic: Official Barack Obama Re-Election Thread  (Read 44912 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Official Barack Obama Re-Election Thread
« Reply #350 on: September 15, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
Turner's win over Weprin shows Obama's toxic effect on national stage
NY Daily News ^ | September 14th 2011 | Andrea Tantaros
Posted on September 15, 2011 11:21:15 PM EDT by neverdem

The Big Apple just dealt President Obama a big problem.

In a crushing blow to the White House and the Democratic Party, the seat once held by notorious sexter Anthony Weiner switched hands yesterday, with a longshot Republican now heading to the House of Representatives.

By linking the economic ennui of New York's ninth district (which spans parts of Brooklyn and Queens) to the President, and by making the administration's Middle East policy (specifically, the treatment of Israel) a hallmark of his campaign, former TV executive Bob Turner defeated state Assemblyman David Weprin by a stunning margin of 54% to 46% (with 84% of districts reporting as of late last night). Even 11th hour visits to the district to rally support by Democratic darlings Bill Clinton and Gov. Cuomo couldn't save the hapless Weprin.

But it's more than New York Democrats who are saying oy vey. The surprising loss of the Weiner seat is an indication of what's to come on the national stage, and why it's looking more likely that Republicans will retain control of the House, with the possibility of the Senate switching back to GOP hands also within reach (Republicans need to win a net of four seats in the Senate to gain a majority).

Despite big celebrations after the passage of Obamacare, the stimulus and financial reform legislation, Obama has given his party little to campaign on with his largely unpopular record, specifically when it comes to jobs. Republicans will spend millions of dollars linking their opponents to Obama and his record, and Democrats who run for office in 2012 will have no choice but to run away from the toxic President, even in what they may once have considered safely Democratic districts. They will exhaust their coffers either painting themselves as "independent" or ignoring Obama's agenda altogether, with incumbents doing everything they can to highlight key differences between their record and Obama's.

Having to spend so much money on defense will spread Democratic funds dangerously thin. In New York's ninth, national Democrats spent more than a half a million defending the Weiner seat, which they never suspected was vulnerable. Getting Democrats to blow critical campaign cash to protect even deeply blue districts is a Republican strategist's dream because it hinders their ability to be competitive elsewhere.

Think about it: If Obama is radioactive in New York City, imagine how his abysmal economic record will play in swing states like Missouri, Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania, where he is already suffering.

A new poll by the Third Way, a middle-of-the-road political group, shows Obama losing ground in 12 states crucial to his reelection hopes, reports USA Today, noting that "About 59% of 'switchers,' voters who backed Obama in 2008 but voted for a Republican in the midterm elections, say the President's party is more liberal than they are and that their political views align more closely with Republicans. Among the 400 switchers polled, 16% said they would vote for Obama again; 25% said they would back the Republican nominee and 59% were categorized as 'persuadable switchers.'"

And the Empire State upset wasn't the only trouncing the White House will have to grapple with. The news of the Turner win came as Republicans beat the Democrats in another special House election on Tuesday: In Nevada, Republican Mark Amodei triumphed over Democrat Kate Marshall, 58% to 36% (with 96% of votes counted).

Though the Nevada win wasn't exactly a surprise, it still points to the fact that Democrats won't have the luxury of putting Republican seats in play in 2012 with the Obama economy dangling from their necks and dragging down their efforts.

Lessons from last night's drubbing are sending shockwaves from Brooklyn to the Beltway. The message is clear. No seat is safe - especially not the one in the White House.

andrea@andreatantaros.com

Andrea Tantaros, whose column appears on Thursdays on NYDailyNews.com and often in the print edition of the newspaper, is a political commentator and co-host of The Five on The Fox News Channel. She previously served as a senior adviser on a number of political campaigns and as communications director for former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld and Rep. Thomas Reynolds (R-N.Y.) and on Capitol Hill as press secretary for Republican leadership. Tantaros lives in New York City.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #351 on: September 15, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
mm2k,

if i had to bet right now, I'd have to bet obama will squeak out a win.  I haven't seen a strong GOP candidate that will energize both sides of the party and grab swing voters.

And let's face it - obamacare, two wars tied, great depression II, general impotence, 9.1 UE rate, and a shitload of other problems, and obama is STILL hovering around or right above 40%.   ANd he's essentially tied with perfect candidates who aren't known yet - and they always drop as their positions become known and alienate voters or they jsut plain gaffe up.

MY POINT - there isn't much more that can happen to hurt obama in the next year.  UE is bad.  wars are bad.  Obamacare sucks.  And look where he is - 40%. 

Bush was at 28% approval and still would have done better against obama than Mccain did.  Obama is polling 12 points higher right now.

SO yes - it's not an endorsement of obama, in case any morons can't see that (not referring ot you mm2k) -
It's a stone cold analysis of how bad he's doing and comparatievly how well he's polling.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #352 on: September 16, 2011, 03:31:19 AM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Obama: Election Odds Better in 2012 Than 2008
ABC News ^
Posted on September 16, 2011 5:42:07 AM EDT by Sub-Driver

Obama: Election Odds Better in 2012 Than 2008

At a campaign fundraiser Thursday night in Washington, D.C. on President Obama said he believes his chances of being reelected in 2012 are “much higher” than they were in 2008.

“Over the last couple of months there have been Democrats who voiced concerns and nervousness about, well, in this kind of economy, isn’t this just — aren’t these just huge headwinds in terms of your reelection?” Obama said.

“And I just have to remind people that, here’s one thing I know for certain: the odds of me being reelected are much higher than the odds of me being elected in the first place.”

Obama made the remarks before a gathering of 50 donors to his reelection campaign and the Democratic National Committee who each paid $35,800 to attend.

(Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events; Politics/Elections; Click to Add Topic

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: September 16, 2011, 07:29:27 AM »
Carville doubles down: Obama ‘not going to win re-election on the course he’s on right now’
Yahoo ^

Carville doubles down: Obama ‘not going to win re-election on the course he’s on right now’ Jeff Poor - The Daily Caller 46 mins ago

On Thursday, former political adviser and current CNN contributor James Carville dropped a bomb on the Obama administration, saying it was time for panic and that, on his current trajectory, President Barack Obama would not be re-elected.

Later that evening on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360,” Carville appeared from Starkville, Miss. and warned Obama again, alluding to the two special election losses — one in New York City and the other Nevada — as signs that the president is in trouble.

“I think that…Â these two elections… do mean something,” Carville said. “And even in Nevada: That was a seat I think we lost probably by about 8,000 votes in the presidential race and we lost about 22,000. It’s not going in the right direction. I think the president needs to show the country that he is unsatisfied with the pace of this recovery and the way that you do that is you make changes.”

Carville likened his case for changes to former President Bill Clinton’s reorganization following the 1994 Republican wave that led to its control of Congress.

(Excerpt) Read more at old.news.yahoo.com ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #354 on: September 16, 2011, 10:38:51 AM »
Obama: My odds are better in 2012 than in 2008
CBS News ^ | September 16, 2011 | Stephanie Condon

As the economy continues to sputter, some are questioning President Obama's re-election chances. But the president on Thursday insisted, "The odds of me being re-elected are much higher than the odds of me being elected in the first place."

The president acknowledged his supporters' concerns at a high-ticket Democratic fundraiser Thursday night, hosted by Elizabeth Frawley Bagley, the former U.S. Ambassador to Portugal.

"But we remain very confident about our ability to win a contest of ideas in 2012 -- as long as we can get the message out," Mr. Obama said.

The president said voters in 2012 will understand that the current economic climate stems in large part from long-term problems, like the structural deficit and shortcomings in education and energy policy.

"I think, an innate sense among the American people that things aren't fair, that the deck is stacked against them," he said, "that no matter how hard they work, their costs keep on going up, their hours are longer, they're struggling to make their mortgage, and somehow nobody's paying attention."

(Excerpt) Read more at cbsnews.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #355 on: September 16, 2011, 10:40:43 AM »
Obama’s a flop in states he flipped in 2008
Washinton Times ^ | 09/15/11 | Dave Boyer

Dismal new poll numbers for President Obama in Virginia and North Carolina underscore a growing danger to his 2012 re-election hopes — his job-approval ratings have dropped below 50 percent in all of the key states that he “flipped” from the Republicans in 2008. Mr. Obama was able to win three years ago mainly because he captured nine states that had gone for Republican George W. Bush in 2004: Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, Colorado, Iowa, New Mexico and Nevada. Combined, those states will account for 112 electoral votes in 2012.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtontimes.com ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #356 on: September 16, 2011, 10:41:04 AM »

As the economy continues to sputter, some are questioning President Obama's re-election chances. But the president on Thursday insisted, "The odds of me being re-elected are much higher than the odds of me being elected in the first place."

He must be on crack.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: September 16, 2011, 10:45:35 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: September 16, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
Disappointed Hollywood Giving Obama Cold Shoulder (et tu Entertainment Industry?)
Hollywood Reporter ^ | 09/16/2011

As the 2012 election fund-raising cycle heats up, the onetime darling is finding far less enthusiasm from the showbiz donors who tell THR what went wrong. At this point in the previous presidential election cycle, Barack Obama was a Hollywood heartthrob. The entertainment industry's ardent Democratic activists couldn't dig deep enough into their wallets to finance his ambitious run for the Oval Office.

The industry remains with the president, but the disenchantment is increasingly palpable, and even devoted Democrats are approaching his re-election campaign with all the enthusiasm of a studio contractually obligated to finance a dubious sequel.

Obama certainly is raising major money in Hollywood -- $2.53 million during the first six months of 2011, with two more events scheduled for Sept. 26. As Andy Spahn, one of Obama's chief showbiz fund-raisers, points out, "We've sold out every event." Doing so, however, has required deft organization and more than a little arm-twisting. Another Obama fund-raiser described the process as "tough, tough, tough." Four years ago, candidate Obama's mere presence guaranteed a turn-away crowd.

But that was before Obama took office and started to compromise on issues important to industry activists.

Sure, such reliable Hollywood Democrats as George Clooney, Tom Hanks, Will Ferrell, Steven Spielberg and Peter Chernin each have donated $35,800, the maximum allowable by law, to the Obama Victory Fund

But others have yet to loosen their purse strings, and many believe the industry has turned on Obama.

Producer Lawrence Bender -- one of Obama's earliest Hollywood supporters --admits that "there are a lot of people who are disappointed. His ratings are down. He's having a really hard time right now." Bender says he's particularly disappointed by the president's recent delay of new clean air regulations. "Obviously, that's a huge letdown," he says, "but overall, I'm still going to support him."

Norman Lear, liberal Hollywood's reigning eminence grise, says he still backs Obama but will not give money to his campaign. "I want Obama to get re-elected and I will help him," he tells The Hollywood Reporter, "but I will do it the way I like to do it and not the D.C. way."

Lear says he plans to invest the money in one of his own political groups, like the People for the American Way, instead of writing a check to Obama's re-election committee. "I don't mean this to sound arrogant," says Lear, who gave $33,100 to Obama in 2008. "I just think I can do a better job of getting the message out.

Since Bill Clinton's first run for the White House, Hollywood has become one of the Democrats' most important sources of campaign financing. In 2008, the industry contributed nearly $40 million to Democratic candidates. At this point in that race four years ago, industry activists were splitting their donations among five candidates, but the lion's share went to Obama and Hillary Clinton. (Each had collected about $1.8 million from entertainment donors during the first six months of 2007.)

In September 2007, the hottest ticket in town was Oprah Winfrey's garden party for Obama that raised $3 million. When the talk show maven opened her palatial Montecito estate for an Obama fund-raiser featuring entertainment by Stevie Wonder, all of Hollywood seemed delighted to make the 90-minute trek from Los Angeles.

This time around, the incumbent's handlers are relying on a series of carefully staged events with ticket prices scaled to make sure they sell out. The first Obama event on Sept. 26, at the House of Blues on Sunset, has ticket prices starting at $250; at the second, at Olive & Fig on Melrose Place, heavy hitters will have to pony up $35,800 to attend.

Spahn and other firm Obama loyalists also are relying on a couple of other facts when gauging how deep a pocket the president ultimately may find in Hollywood. If there's anything high-level Hollywood understands, it's leverage, and for big givers unhappy with the president, this is the period of maximum leverage. If Obama feels he needs them, he may yet listen -- at least a little. Many of those signing up for the current round of fund-raisers are doing so in the hopes of expressing their disappointment directly to the president.

"It's like he's morphed into another person," says one veteran entertainment executive, a passionate Democrat, who asked not to be identified because the person is thinking of sitting out this election. "He's not the idealistic guy we thought he would be. Everyone I talk to is disappointed."

Disenchanted Hollywood's list of the president's shortcomings seems to grow monthly: Environmentalism, gay rights, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and Obama's handling of the unemployment crisis are a few of the persistent gripes. It might be a town filled with Bentleys and designer handbags, but high-level Hollywood is populated with self-made successes, and their sense of identification with the working and middle classes remains a powerful force when it comes to politics.

"He favors Wall Street instead of the everyman," says the veteran entertainment executive. "All he's doing is taking our money, and he's not doing anything we want him to do."

That sense of disappointment at being ignored goes to the heart of Hollywood's connection with Democratic officeholders. The Westside often is referred to by political pundits as the Dems' ATM, but the relationship is more like the one you'd have with a rich, affectionate but cranky Beverly Hills uncle. In the pinch, you know he's always going to be there for you and write the check -- but, before he does, you're going to have to sit and listen to his advice.

Some of the discontent may have been inevitable. Publicist and longtime Democratic activist Howard Bragman puts it this way: "Things are different this time around. Four years ago, it was a revolution. This time, it's an evolution. The sequel is never as exciting as the original."

But even the most disenchanted of the Hollywood Democrats could be pushed into Obama's fund-raising effort by the Republican nominee. "The more we see the Michele Bachmanns and the Rick Perrys, the more frightened we are," Bragman says.

When asked why he hasn't deserted Obama altogether, Lear says: "The Republicans running for president are a bunch of clowns. We may be disappointed in a lot of things that are going on in the Obama administration, but whatever we say about him, he's not a clown.

As the disenchanted executive who's sitting things out so far puts it, if Obama "is suddenly in a competitive race with Bachmann or Perry, I'll max out so fast it will make your head spin."

WHERE OBAMA HAS FAILED HOLLYWOOD: Four issues that have sapped his support among showbiz Democrats

1. The Environment: Hollywood is far greener than it is blue. Obama's recent decisions to allow more Arctic drilling and to put off more stringent clean air regulations were just the latest in a series of pro-development, pro-business moves. "Like so many others, I'm beginning to wonder just where the man stands," Robert Redford wrote in an August web post.

2. Unemployment: His Sept. 8 address to Congress notwithstanding, liberal Hollywood feels the president has been inexplicably slow to address persistent unemployment. The industry is instinctually Keynesian; it believes in stimulation.

3. Gay Rights: Hollywood's gay and lesbian activists still believe that Obama and his administration were slow to support abolition of the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. Many also feel that he's been evasive on the question of marriage equality, an issue the industry generally regards as the next great civil rights struggle.

4. Peace: Skepticism about American intervention in Iraq and Afghanistan runs deep in Hollywood, where there's a general sentiment that Obama has been far too slow to bring American troops home from the battlefields

OBAMA'S TOP HOLLYWOOD FUNDRAISERS: Financial "bundlers" pledge to raise money nationwide on behalf of Obama's re-election committee. Of the 244 registered bundlers, nine are Hollywood figures.

•Jeffrey Katzenberg, DreamWorks Ani.: $500,000

•David Cohen, Comcast: $500,000

•Andy Spahn, DreamWorks: $500,000

•Ken Soloman, Tennis Channel: $200,000

•Clarence Avant, Interior Music: $100,000

•Ari Emanuel, WME: $50,000

•Jamie and Michael Lynton, Sony Pictures: $100,000

•Kelly Meyer, activist and wife of Universal's Ron Meyer: $50,000

•Colleen Bell,$50,000

Source: Opensecrets.org

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: September 16, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »
Poll: Obama's Favorability Rating Upside-Down for First Time
national journal ^ | national journal
Posted on September 16, 2011 7:43:40 PM EDT by sunmars

For the first time, more Americans have an unfavorable opinion of President Obama than have a favorable opinion of him, according to a new CBS News/New York Times poll released late Friday, an indication that dissatisfaction with the president's job performance and the direction of the country is dragging down how Americans view Obama personally.

Just 39 percent of Americans have a favorable opinion of Obama, while 42 percent view him unfavorably. In January of this year, 40 percent had a favorable image of Obama, and 34 percent had an unfavorable opinion. In January 2009, as he was inaugurated, 60 percent of Americans had a favorable opinion of him.

While the president's approval rating -- which is down to 43 percent in the new poll, an all-time low -- is an important indicator of his re-election standing, the high regard Americans felt for Obama personally was a sign that Americans hadn't yet given up on his presidency.

In the new CBS News/New York Times poll, Obama is being crushed by negative data points:

-- 72 percent of Americans believe the nation is on the wrong track, a new high for the Obama presidency.

-- 49 percent of Democrats now say that Obama's job performance has been worse than they expected.

-- 47 percent of Americans are either "not very confident" or "not at all confident" that Obama's jobs legislation "will create jobs and improve the economy."

-- Obama's favorable/unfavorable rating among independents: 31 percent/41 percent.

(Excerpt) Read more at hotlineoncall.nationaljo urnal.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #360 on: September 18, 2011, 05:39:48 PM »
Obama Campaign Selling Dog Leashes That Say 'Barack's Best Friend'
Fox Nation ^ | 17 Sep 2011
Posted on September 18, 2011 8:34:52 PM EDT by mandaladon

That's right people, for the small price of only fifteen dollars you can now purchase a dog leash that says, "2012 Barack's Best Friend."

Not a dog person? Not to worry. The Obama 2012 campaign is also selling cat collars that say, "Cats for Obama."

Get them now why you still can.

Read more: http://store.barackobama.com/obama-leash.html#ixzz1YLzxDSI1

(Excerpt) Read more at nation.foxnews.com ...

WTF?    is this what we have become? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #361 on: September 19, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/got-71000-to-spare-you-can-have-dinner-with-obama-in-new-york-tonight-2011-9

Got $72,000 To Spare? You And Your Partner Can Have Dinner With Obama In New York Tonight
Grace Wyler | Sep. 19, 2011, 2:09 PM

Never one to miss a fundraising opportunity, President Barack Obama will headline two fundraisers while he is in Manhattan for the U.N. General Assembly this week.

The Obama for America campaign confirms that Obama will attend a $71,600-per-couple “small dinner” tonight at the Park Avenue home of prominent Democratic bundlers Jane Hartley and Ralph Schlosstein. Individuals can attend for the paltry sum of $35,800 — the maximum a person can donate to the campaign and the DNC.

For those looking for something more glamorous (and cheaper), Obama and the First Lady are set to host a gala event, complete with a performance by Alicia Keys, Tuesday night at Gotham Hall. Seats are $2,500-a-head ($5,000 for premium seating), and $15,000 for dinner and photos.

The host committee for tonight’s dinner is a rather unremarkable list of longtime Democratic fundraisers from Wall Street. Hartley is the CEO of the Observatory Group, an economic and political advisory firm; Schlosstein, her husband, was a cofounder and president of BlackRock, and is now CEO of the boutique investment bank Evercore. Evercore was an advisor on the GM bailout deal.

Here’s who else is hosting tonight:

Roger Altman: A co-founder of Evercore, Altman was Deputy Treasury Secretary under Bill Clinton until he resigned amid a record-keeping scandal. He was an economic advisor to John Kerry and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaigns.

Andi & Tom Bernstein: The Bernsteins are notable because Tom Bernstein was a major supporter of George W. Bush. The Bernsteins supported Obama after the primaries in 2008, as members of the Obama Jewish Leadership Council of Metro New York. It’s interesting that they are sticking with him this year. Tom Bernstein is president and co-founder of Chelsea Piers.

Michael Kempner: A public relations and lobbying executive based in New Jersey, Kempner is a longtime staple of the national Democratic Party fundraising network in the New York metro area.

Charles Myers: A senior managing director with Evercore Partners and a high-level political bundler. Obama has been courting Myers heavily this summer, and the fact that he is hosting tonight indicates his efforts have been successful.

Pilar Crespi & Stephen Robert: Robert, a former Oppenheimer CEO, and his wife Crespi, are major donors, as well as big names in the New York philanthropy scene.

Michelle Obama will put her star power to work as well, with a ladies luncheon put on by the Women for Obama finance committee. Co-hosted by DNC Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the event will feature some of the biggest names in women’s rights, including feminist author Gloria Steinem, Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards, Emily’s List President Stephanie Schirock, and leading pro-choice activist Nancy Keenan.

(snip)

shared sacrifice. 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #362 on: September 19, 2011, 07:58:53 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/got-71000-to-spare-you-can-have-dinner-with-obama-in-new-york-tonight-2011-9

Got $72,000 To Spare? You And Your Partner Can Have Dinner With Obama In New York Tonight
Grace Wyler | Sep. 19, 2011, 2:09 PM

Never one to miss a fundraising opportunity, President Barack Obama will headline two fundraisers while he is in Manhattan for the U.N. General Assembly this week.

The Obama for America campaign confirms that Obama will attend a $71,600-per-couple “small dinner” tonight at the Park Avenue home of prominent Democratic bundlers Jane Hartley and Ralph Schlosstein. Individuals can attend for the paltry sum of $35,800 — the maximum a person can donate to the campaign and the DNC.

For those looking for something more glamorous (and cheaper), Obama and the First Lady are set to host a gala event, complete with a performance by Alicia Keys, Tuesday night at Gotham Hall. Seats are $2,500-a-head ($5,000 for premium seating), and $15,000 for dinner and photos.

The host committee for tonight’s dinner is a rather unremarkable list of longtime Democratic fundraisers from Wall Street. Hartley is the CEO of the Observatory Group, an economic and political advisory firm; Schlosstein, her husband, was a cofounder and president of BlackRock, and is now CEO of the boutique investment bank Evercore. Evercore was an advisor on the GM bailout deal.

Here’s who else is hosting tonight:

Roger Altman: A co-founder of Evercore, Altman was Deputy Treasury Secretary under Bill Clinton until he resigned amid a record-keeping scandal. He was an economic advisor to John Kerry and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaigns.

Andi & Tom Bernstein: The Bernsteins are notable because Tom Bernstein was a major supporter of George W. Bush. The Bernsteins supported Obama after the primaries in 2008, as members of the Obama Jewish Leadership Council of Metro New York. It’s interesting that they are sticking with him this year. Tom Bernstein is president and co-founder of Chelsea Piers.

Michael Kempner: A public relations and lobbying executive based in New Jersey, Kempner is a longtime staple of the national Democratic Party fundraising network in the New York metro area.

Charles Myers: A senior managing director with Evercore Partners and a high-level political bundler. Obama has been courting Myers heavily this summer, and the fact that he is hosting tonight indicates his efforts have been successful.

Pilar Crespi & Stephen Robert: Robert, a former Oppenheimer CEO, and his wife Crespi, are major donors, as well as big names in the New York philanthropy scene.

Michelle Obama will put her star power to work as well, with a ladies luncheon put on by the Women for Obama finance committee. Co-hosted by DNC Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the event will feature some of the biggest names in women’s rights, including feminist author Gloria Steinem, Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards, Emily’s List President Stephanie Schirock, and leading pro-choice activist Nancy Keenan.

(snip)

shared sacrifice. 
Do you think that Palin has a crush on Obama since she has a fetish for black guys?

G

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #363 on: September 21, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »
McClatchy Poll: Majority Believe Obama Will Lose in 2012
Wednesday, 21 Sep 2011
By Jim Meyers

A majority of voters now believe that President Barack Obama will lose next year’s election to any Republican, and most potential GOP challengers — including unannounced candidate Sarah Palin — are gaining on him, a new poll reveals.

The McClatchy-Marist survey of more than 1,000 adults found that 52 percent of voters think Obama will lose in 2012 — no matter who the GOP candidate is — while 38 percent believe he won’t lose. Even among Democrats, 31 percent believe Obama will be defeated.

Nearly half of voters polled, 49 percent, said they definitely plan to vote against Obama, including 53 percent of independents, while 36 percent of respondents overall said they do not definitely plan to vote against the president, according to the poll results reported by The Miami Herald.

After trailing Obama by more than 20 percentage points all year, Palin is behind the president by just 5 points, 49 percent to 44 percent, in the new poll.

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/McClatchy-poll-Obama-loses/2011/09/21/id/411780

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #364 on: September 21, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
McClatchy Poll: Majority Believe Obama Will Lose in 2012
Wednesday, 21 Sep 2011
By Jim Meyers

A majority of voters now believe that President Barack Obama will lose next year’s election to any Republican, and most potential GOP challengers — including unannounced candidate Sarah Palin — are gaining on him, a new poll reveals.

The McClatchy-Marist survey of more than 1,000 adults found that 52 percent of voters think Obama will lose in 2012 — no matter who the GOP candidate is — while 38 percent believe he won’t lose. Even among Democrats, 31 percent believe Obama will be defeated.

Nearly half of voters polled, 49 percent, said they definitely plan to vote against Obama, including 53 percent of independents, while 36 percent of respondents overall said they do not definitely plan to vote against the president, according to the poll results reported by The Miami Herald.

After trailing Obama by more than 20 percentage points all year, Palin is behind the president by just 5 points, 49 percent to 44 percent, in the new poll.

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/McClatchy-poll-Obama-loses/2011/09/21/id/411780

180 says those polls don't mean shit, unless of course they show President Downgrade winning.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
Poll: Obama slips with black voters
politico.com ^ | September 22, 2011 | TIM MAK

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:07:26 AM by Berlin_Freeper

African Americans appear to be cooling their support for President Obama, with “strongly favorable” views of the president dropping dramatically from 83 percent five months ago to 58 percent today, a new Washington Post-ABC News poll shows.

The drop in support among black voters mirrors the declining support for Obama among all groups.

(Excerpt) Read more at politico.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »
Gallup: More Voters Considering Romney Than Obama, Perry
Gallup ^ | 09/22/2011

More registered voters say they would definitely vote for Mitt Romney or might consider doing so (62%) than say the same about his two main rivals in the 2012 presidential election, Democrat Barack Obama (54%) and Republican Rick Perry (53%).

Though Romney currently receives the highest level of consideration among voters, more say they would "definitely vote for" Obama (33%) than say this about either Romney (21%) or Perry (20%). That may reflect the virtual certainty that Obama will be the Democratic candidate for president, while Republicans' loyalties are divided between their two leading contenders.

That dynamic is apparent in the higher percentage of Democratic registered voters who say they definitely would vote for Obama (70%) than of Republican registered voters who would definitely vote for either of the main Republican contenders (41% for Perry and 44% for Romney). Once the Republican nominee is decided, the percentage of Republicans who say they would definitely vote for that candidate should increase significantly.

Romney's advantage in broader voter consideration over Perry and Obama results partly from his greater appeal to independent voters -- 70% say they would definitely vote for him or consider doing so, compared with 60% for Perry and 45% for Obama. Romney also receives greater consideration from Republican and Democratic voters than does Perry, and matches the 90% party loyalty Obama gets from his party's supporters.

(Excerpt) Read more at gallup.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #367 on: September 23, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
Voters in battleground districts even more hostile to Dems than in 2010
Hotair ^ | 09/23/2011 | Ed Morrissey
Posted on September 23, 2011 5:11:27 PM EDT by SeekAndFind

After the midterm elections, Democrats argued that the Tea Party-inspired turnout was a fluke, and that grassroots voters would start turning on Republicans as soon as they had a share in responsibility for governance. According to the latest Democracy Corps survey of battleground Congressional districts, neither are true, at least not yet. Democratic pollster Stan Greenberg surveyed voters in 60 Republican-held purple districts and found that voters are even more sour on Democrats than in 2010:

One of the Democratic party’s leading pollsters released a survey of 60 Republican-held battleground districts today painting an ominous picture for Congressional Democrats in 2012. The poll shows Democratic House candidates faring worse than they did in the 2010 midterms, being dragged down by an unpopular president who would lose to both Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Mitt Romney. …

Instead of an overall anti-incumbent sentiment impacting members of both parties, voters are taking more of their anger out on Democrats. When voters were asked whether they’re supporting the Republican incumbent or a Democratic candidate, 50 percent preferred the Republican and just 41 percent backed the Democrat.

Voters in these districts said they were more supportive of Republicans than they were during the 2010 midterms, when 48 percent said they backed the Republican candidate and 42 percent said they backed the Democrat. (Republicans won 55 percent of the overall vote in these 60 battleground districts, while Democrats took 43 percent.) In 2010, Republicans netted 63 House seats – their best showing since 1948.

That’s not to say that Republicans don’t have anything to worry about:

Negative personal feelings about the incumbent members have jumped 10 points since March; disapproval of how he or she is handling the job has jumped 7 points.
The percent saying they “can’t re-elect” is up 4 points to 49 percent – compared to just 40 percent who say they “will re-elect because the incumbent is doing a good job and addressing issues important to voters.” This is substantially worse than the position of Democratic incumbents two years ago.
Among independents, disapproval of incumbent Republican House members jumped 12 points, and a large majority of independents (54 to 37 percent) say they “can’t vote to re-elect” the incumbent.
However, the incumbent Republicans average 50% support for re-election, an achievement gained mainly through consolidation of Republican voters, Greenberg notes. That’s a level where incumbents generally win re-election.

With Democratic support falling from last year, it’s hard to argue that Republicans are in much danger of losing these swing districts as a whole, which would mean that 2010 was more of a realigning election than a fluke. And this result shows that 2012 could be an even stronger realignment. Greenberg only polled in districts already held by Republicans, a not-unfair paradigm in that Democrats obviously want to target these in 2012 as the easiest to potentially win back. However, as Greenberg discovers, Democrats in general and especially Barack Obama continue to lose ground in these districts:

Republicans have lost ground, too, but not as much as Democrats. The party as a whole has lost 5 points rather than 9, and Republicans in Congress only 4 points to the -11 for their counterparts. Voter assessment for Barack Obama in these districts has shifted from a 48/47 in March to 41/55 this month, a fall of 15 points in the gap. Among independents in these districts, it’s not quite as bad, but only because Obama’s approval in these districts was atrocious anyway. Obama went from a 39/54 in March to a 35/59, a 9-point change in the gap, with 48% now strongly disapproving of his performance.

Greenberg says that enthusiasm for Republicans has dropped, but that’s going to change in 2012 regardless of what happens in Congress because of one overriding fact: Obama will be on the top of the ticket. That will bring more Republicans and angry independents to the polls in these districts, and they will vote for Republican incumbents. Demoralized Democrats may still trek to the polls to salvage down-ticket races, but it’s not likely to be enough. A President at 41/55 and 35/59 among independents is an albatross for the rest of his party’s candidates on any ticket, especially in battleground districts.

Perhaps Greenberg should start looking at Democratic-held districts instead of those held by Republicans. If NY-09 is an example, we may need to redefine “battleground” districts, and the result will likely not be pretty for Democrats.

TOPICS: Constitution/Conservatism; Culture/Society; News/Current Events; Politics/Elections; Click to Add Topic
KEYWORDS: battleground; democrats; voters; Click to Add Keyword
[ Report Abuse | Bookmark ]

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »
Obama Approval Rating: Likability Factor Keeping President Afloat
Posted: 9/24/11
By KRISTEN WYATT, ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP) DENVER -- People like Christine Alonzo are keeping President Barack Obama afloat and giving his political team hope that he can win re-election despite high unemployment and sour attitudes about his policies and the country's future.

Alonzo volunteered for Obama during the 2008 campaign. A few months after Obama's victory, she lost her job. She's still looking for work. Instead of blaming Obama for the economic crisis, she's volunteering full time to help him capture a second term.

"It's tough out there," Alonzo says. But, the 43-year-old adds, "I don't think our president's had enough time to get us back to where we need to be." She still likes him even though she's not hot about the state of the country. "He's got the intelligence, the drive, to get this country back on track."

This is a factor any Republican challenger must consider: Public opinion polls routinely show that Americans like the president personally even though they don't agree with his policies, even if hurt by them.

People who have lost their jobs or homes during Obama's presidency nonetheless say they want him to succeed and, what's more, they're working to help re-elect him because of the affinity they feel for him.

"A lot has not been accomplished, we know that," said Kathleen McKevitt of Jerome, Idaho, who lost her job just before Obama took office and has struggled to find full-time work. "That doesn't mean we don't like Obama."

It's a bright spot in an otherwise dreary political environment for the incumbent.

There are fears the country may fall back into a recession. The unemployment rate is stuck at a stubbornly high 9.1 percent. Foreclosures are rampant. The effect on Obama's job-performance rating: They've fallen to the mid-40s, a low point.

Democrats acknowledge it could be even worse if not for the high marks Obama gets for who he is compared with the low marks for what he does.

"There are a lot of people out there who like the president, who think he is a good, decent person who is trying hard. They may have issues about the economy. They may have issues about the direction of the country. But there are a lot of voters out there who are giving him the benefit of the doubt," said Mo Elleithee, a Democratic strategist in Washington. "Heading into the election year being well-liked puts him in a good position as he begins to make the contrast with the other side."

A recent Associated Press-GfK poll showed that nearly 8 in 10 people considered Obama a likable person, and slightly more than half said he understands the problems of ordinary people. Even among those who said the United States is headed in the wrong direction, 43 percent had a favorable opinion of the president, 10 points higher than his job approval rating among that group.

Obama's advisers point to his favorability ratings as an asset when the eventual GOP nominee tries to make the case for change in the White House in 2012.

"They're going to tell you that everyone's left the president, no one likes Obama anymore. They are so totally wrong," Obama's national field director, Jeremy Bird, told volunteers in Denver recently. "Yes, people are frustrated with the economy, with jobs. But when they look at the president, the president's character ... they're all in support,"

To be sure, there are plenty of people who are sitting out the campaign this time.

Liberal activists have complained about Obama's handling of issues such as taxes and the government's borrowing limit. They've criticized the president for not being more aggressive with Republicans in Congress. Many said they will focus their energies on state and local races next year.

Some supporters recently gathered to be trained by Bird as Obama volunteers in Denver, where Obama accepted the Democratic nomination in 2008 at Mile High Stadium.

Campaign staffers reminded them of the affinity they felt for Obama, showing a video of his rousing address to the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston. That's where the future president outlined his compelling life story and said his rise would be possible only in America.

The pitch got a nod from 60-year-old volunteer Betsy Daniel of Denver.

"When the debt ceiling debate was going on, it was tough sledding," Daniel said. "But we feel like we're working for a better America, so we keep going. Sure, there isn't the same enthusiasm. But I have every reason to believe we're laying the groundwork for it."

For the president, that groundwork includes a Western visit to keep his fans engaged.

Obama, who was scheduled to leave Washington on Sunday, planned to raise money in Seattle and the San Francisco area before a town hall-style event Monday at the Computer History Museum near the headquarters of social networking site LinkedIn in Mountain View, Calif.

Additional fundraisers are set for San Diego and Los Angeles before the trip ends with a speech in Denver on Tuesday where he intends to promote his jobs plan.

Denver-based political strategist Jill Hanauer said the president has two objectives: convince supporters on the left that he's serious about pushing tax increases for the rich to pay for his $447 billion jobs plan, while sending signals to independent voters that they should trust him to keep trying to turn around the economy.

"If voters feel he's authentically trying to make things better, that works for him," said Hanauer, founder of Project New West, a consulting firm with liberal clients. "Some folks can maybe be disappointed in him, but he's a likable person."

That's what helps keep McKevitt coming back to him no matter how frustrating the search for full-time work is. She's moving to Carson City, Nev., this month to volunteer full time for him.

"You look at the president, and you see a family man facing a great, great hardship on all fronts. People understand that," said McKevitt. She lost her editing job at a weekly newspaper that folded shortly before Obama was elected and she recently won a campaign essay contest to have lunch with the president. "People like how reasonable he is, and people feel that. He's a soul kind of guy, with depth."

Heather Barr of Phoenix, a 41-year-old real estate agent in Arizona, didn't volunteer for Obama in 2008.

But seeing the housing collapse up close compelled her to get involved this time. She lost her home a month ago and is living in an apartment. She doesn't blame Obama but rather is giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Said Barr: "I know things aren't great. People are concerned, obviously. But what I hear is, people want to give the president more time. This economic trouble that we're in didn't happen overnight."

For Deborah Holland of Albuquerque, N.M., a personal feeling of connection to the president overrides thoughts about Obama's performance and the economy, even with the stress of a precarious job situation. The 50-year-old cobbles together work as a caterer, cake decorator and office manager, even though she has a law degree.

"When we first got to know him in 2008, it was evident he came from humble beginnings," Holland said. "And I think a lot of us can relate to that. We feel comfortable with that."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/24/obama-approval-rating-likability_n_979076.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:15 AM »
Obama Heads West to Raise Money, Energize Liberals (SEVEN fundraisers in TWO days)
 AP via The Chicago Sun-Times ^ | Sunday, September 25, 2011 | Erica Werner

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:46:32 AM by kristinn

President Barack Obama is trying out his newly combative message on the liberal West Coast, aiming to re-energize faithful Democratic voters who have grown increasingly disenchanted with him.

The trip, which begins Sunday and includes fundraisers from Seattle to Hollywood and San Diego, comes as Obama has shifted from seeking compromise with Republicans on Capitol Hill to calling out House Speaker John Boehner and others by name. The president has criticized them as obstructionists and demanded their help in passing his $447 billion jobs bill.

SNIP

Obama and the Republican presidential candidates are working overtime to raise campaign cash ahead of an important Sept. 30 reporting deadline that will give a snapshot of their financial strength. Obama’s West Coast visit was heavy on fundraisers: two each in Seattle and the San Francisco area Sunday, followed by one in San Diego on Monday and two in Los Angeles.

The expected haul: $4 million or more.

He scheduled a town hall-style event Monday in the Silicon Valley hosted by social networking company LinkedIn. The trip ends Tuesday with a speech to supporters in Denver, where he accepted the Democratic nomination three years ago.

SNIP

(Excerpt) Read more at suntimes.com ...

MAYBE THIS DIRTBAG SHOULD USE THE MONEY TO REPAY THE TAXPAYER FOR THE SOLYNDRA LOAN HE FRAUDENTLY SCREWED US OUT OF? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: September 25, 2011, 08:51:58 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   General/Chat
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Lady Gaga shows at Obama fundraiser
Associated Press ^ | Sept. 25, 2011
Posted on September 25, 2011 11:41:03 PM EDT by Free ThinkerNY

ATHERTON, Calif. (AP) -- Pop singer Lady Gaga was among the guests at a Silicon Valley fundraiser for President Barack Obama.

The intimate gathering was held under a tent in the yard of Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg on Sunday night.

(Excerpt) Read more at hosted.ap.org ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: September 25, 2011, 08:59:13 PM »
Obama Focuses on Success During West Coast Swing [Obama Says He Got 80% of His Agenda]
FoxNews ^ | September 25, 2011 | Ed Henry
Posted on September 25, 2011 11:21:27 PM EDT by Steelfish

Obama Focuses on Success During West Coast Swing

Ed Henry Published September 25, 2011

SAN JOSE, Calif. – As he kicked off a three-day swing through the West aimed in part at firing up his liberal base and raking in millions of dollars for his 2012 re-election campaign, President Obama claimed his first term has been a success even as he urged supporters for the second straight day to "shake off" their frustrations in order to help give him a second term in office.

"I need you guys to shake off any doldrums," Obama said Sunday at the second of two fundraisers in Seattle before jetting here to San Jose for two more fundraisers. "I need you to decide right here and right now, talk to your friends and neighbors and co-workers and tell them, ‘You know what? We're not finished yet.'"

Obama struck a similar tone in rallying liberal supporters on Saturday night in Washington, DC, when he spoke at the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation's Annual Phoenix Awards dinner before heading out West on Sunday. "I expect all of you to march with me and press on," Obama said to applause. "Take off your bedroom slippers, put on your marching shoes. Shake it off. Stop complaining, stop grumbling, stop crying. We are going to press on." In Seattle on Sunday, Obama was just as aggressive in asserting his first term has been successful as he claimed that he has accomplished the vast majority of what he wanted to get done.

"We’re just starting off here, we’ve got 14 months," Obama said about his first term in office, urging supporters to help spread the message that it’s not a failure he’s only gotten 80 percent of what he wants done so far.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

Lmfao.   What a joke. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2011, 06:55:56 AM »
O-bummer! MTV tunes out prez campaign
NY Post ^ | September 27, 2011 | CLAIRE ATKINSON

President Obama’s re-election campaign wants to connect with young Americans and reached out recently to MTV for help -- but the cable network turned them down, sources tell The Post.

The president’s Get Out the Vote campaign, run by Buffy Wicks, concerned the high unemployment rate of the so-called millennial generation would turn them off to their candidate, asked the network of “Jersey Shore” about helping to supply them with ideas on how to deal with their, er, situation...

The re-election effort wants to reconnect with youth, which were among its most fervent supporters in 2008.

“The youth initiative is having trouble with big donors and youth votes,” said a person familiar with the discussions. “They asked, ‘Can you tell us how we should be talking to them?’ ” one source noted.

Viacom’s unit took a few weeks before getting back to the campaign to decline its invitation, saying that it doesn’t do political work...

(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2011, 09:53:35 AM »
Obama Fundraising Suffers Huge Drop-off
White House Dossier ^ | September 27, 2011 | Keith Koffler

President Obama will raise substantially less in the second quarter of his campaign than the first, according to the New York Times.

The paper writes that Obama campaign manager Jim Messina has told Democratic officials that the president will raise about $55 million in the quarter that ends Sept. 30, about $30 million less than he raised the first quarter of his campaign – which was the second quarter of the year, ending June 30.

The news was – gosh who would have expected – buried within the Times story.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #374 on: September 27, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Obama grapples with memories of 2008 hope, change
Associated Press ^ | 9/27/11 | ERICA WERNER
Posted on September 27, 2011 8:46:31 PM EDT by mdittmar

DENVER (AP) — Remember when Barack Obama first ran for president and people were really into him?

Obama remembers it, too, but not the same way some of his supporters do.

Bidding for re-election in tough economic times, Obama says there is some "revisionist history" going on about how great that first race was.

His strategy is to bring disillusioned supporters back into the fold by addressing their feelings of discouragement head-on and reminding them they signed up for something tough to begin with — even if now they just remember the "hope" and "change" posters.

And he's telling them bluntly they will have to be even more determined and find different sources of inspiration this time around since he is not the fresh face.

"I'm grayer, I'm all dinged up," Obama told a Hollywood fundraiser crowd Monday night. "And those old posters everybody has got in their closet, they're all dog-eared and faded. And so the energy of 2008 is going to have to be generated in a different way."

(Excerpt) Read more at google.com ...