Author Topic: How many who have bench pressed hurt their shoulders?  (Read 10145 times)

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
Re: How many who have bench pressed hurt their shoulders?
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
There are no exercises to speed up the healing of an injured cuff. Just time.
There are exercises to prevent it from happening (again). Internal and external rotation. Google many good site.
should i rest completly or should i do really light training just to get blood in there?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »
The goal of too many young guys who start training is to bench big numbers.

There`s nothing wrong with this but when you go heavy all the time for years and try max singles a lot or always as some idiots do,then that`s where trouble begins.

Truthfully,most guyswhose goal is to bench 315,365,or 405 etc. etc.,more than likely never will and more than likely will develop shoulder problems for their efforts.

Leave the ego at the door and train your pecs!!

Heavy is relative.......what`s heavy for 5-6 or 8-12 reps for you is still heavy, though it may not be 495 or 550.

Thank me later.

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 11:28:34 AM »
I can honestly say that I've been fortunate and never had shoulder issues.  Done pressing movements consistently for over 20yrs

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
me2 i feel  blessed i havent had problems with delts yet. i hear so many people complain

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 11:37:33 AM »
should i rest completly or should i do really light training just to get blood in there?
Training with extreme light weight will give you some pain relieve for a short time, and you get at least a little exercise. But the injury will not heal quicker. You could do a course of ibuprofen or diclofenac for a day or ten at maximum dose. Don't overdose. The medication is only useful in the early stage. An injection with corts does more harm than good.
If you can stand laying down on the injured shoulder you can start doing a bit more.
If you rip it again you can put your workout stuff on ebay.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »
me2 i feel  blessed i havent had problems with delts yet. i hear so many people complain

Imagine benching these.  :D
D

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »
wow your mom is hot :o :o

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 11:41:34 AM »

Imagine benching these.  :D

Internal rotations are a good move in this case...use some power reps as well and finish with The Joe Weider Anal Priciple.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »

clued-up

• Getbig V
Re: How many
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
I used to train on bench press machine, and on the flat bench press setting, my right shoulder would hurt --a weird feeling, and it made me pissed as well...

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 11:55:44 AM »
I used to train on bench press machine, and on the flat bench press setting, my right shoulder would hurt --a weird feeling, and it made me pissed as well...

That's the fucking thing. It pisses you off and you just hit it to hard. Kinda like girls.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
Training with extreme light weight will give you some pain relieve for a short time, and you get at least a little exercise. But the injury will not heal quicker. You could do a course of ibuprofen or diclofenac for a day or ten at maximum dose. Don't overdose. The medication is only useful in the early stage. An injection with corts does more harm than good.
If you can stand laying down on the injured shoulder you can start doing a bit more.
If you rip it again you can put your workout stuff on ebay.
alright. i will try do some really light rotational work just for getting blood there. hope it will heal faster that way.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 12:00:36 PM »
That's the fucking thing. It pisses you off and you just hit it to hard. Kinda like girls.
It felt like it was being "over torqued", and taking more stress or torque than the left shoulder. So it has to be body mechanics...
Also when I do lateral or front raises (more front than lateral), I hear a slight clicking sound, usually it's a heavier weight.

Tito24

• Getbig V

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
Are you benching wide? meaning are your elbows wide.

yep

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: How many
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 12:43:33 PM »
I do only incline bench press, haven done fat  year

FIXED
A

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
well my shoulders are fragile as glass... im seriously thinking of stopping all over head pressing, and i wouldnt dream of doing flat benches, i wouldnt even do flat d/b presses these days

ive got to keep on top of rotar exersizes and all the scap stretches and presses or im fucked, coming off gear worsens these problems x10 too

some people are built to press heavy weight and some arent, after 5+ years of training youl know which group you belong in, if you ignore the signs youl pay the price
I read this in another thread.. stop pressin and do  the lateral raises that you said in another thread.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
I hurt my shoulders, first overhead db pressing then on bench.  But it's cause I was doing these exercises wrong (didn't understand how to set my back up, didn't pay attention to how i was feeling).

If you set up right and know how to execute the movement, I don't see why you must necessarily injure yourself at some point.  Maybe I just have more to learn?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »
I think this is more an individual thing, I can bench and overhead till the cows come home, but dips destroy me in short order. The past few years I've given way more of my time over to inclines and various overhead work and my shoulders have never felt better. Also as Wes said, was to Warm up and slowly move to the bigger numbers, I hate it, cause it makes me feel old, but I've taken to a couple of more warm up set and more progressively moving the weight up.

Also, find one grip range and stay in it for the majority of your work, none of this changing all the time stuff. The best advice I ever heard on figuring out grip was from Bill Seno, a Word class powerlifter from the 60's, who said to just do a set of push ups and look at your hands, that spacing should be your benching grip.

On Rotator Cuff work, here's a .pdf to the best book on the subject - http://www.irongarmx.net/Articles/7_minute_rotator_cuff_solution.pdf . It's good stuff.

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »

Actually I rarely ever used any chest pressing machines, they would bother my shoulders.  I never liked being locked in to planes of motion.
Free weights ftw

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »
My shoulders are great! never had problem with them, but my wrists hurts when I bench press. :-\

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »
It felt like it was being "over torqued", and taking more stress or torque than the left shoulder. So it has to be body mechanics...
Also when I do lateral or front raises (more front than lateral), I hear a slight clicking sound, usually it's a heavier weight.

I get that sound as well....never know whether to stop or keep going

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »
If you set up right and know how to execute the movement, I don't see why you must necessarily injure yourself at some point.  Maybe I just have more to learn?

If you lift long enough, you will get injured, the trick is not to let it become chronic, rather just a little bump in the road.