Author Topic: 48÷2(9+3) = ? --> How smart are you?  (Read 34895 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ?
« Reply #300 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:21 AM »
mathematics is ok up to basic algerba and geometry plus statistics.. advanced algebra and above is a complete waste of time for 99% of people..

my sister works at and lives next to UC merced so that is where i am going. plan to study economics and then business. my associate degree is in geography.

You're going to study economics and you don't think advanced mathematics aren't useful? Are you fucking retarded? Anything beyond the two introductory macro and micro classes you'll take usually starts involving calculus and other concepts. A number of the world's best economists were math majors and some of the most influential economics concepts taught today were created by mathematicians (i.e. John Nash).

But you go ahead and say maths isn't needed if it helps you sleep at night.

spude

• Getbig III
« Reply #301 on: April 13, 2011, 09:38:25 AM »
You're going to study economics and you don't think advanced mathematics aren't useful? Are you fucking retarded? Anything beyond the two introductory macro and micro classes you'll take usually starts involving calculus and other concepts. A number of the world's best economists were math majors and some of the most influential economics concepts taught today were created by mathematicians (i.e. John Nash).

true. as a business school student i can say economics is probably the most mathematic major in our school...my own major is strategic management which is probably as far from math as possible but i've also taken courses in both economics, accounting and finance and work now as a sales manager so trust me, i know what i'm saying...

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ? --> How smart are you?
« Reply #302 on: April 13, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
Who wants to man up to throw hands with me? Winner gets a calculator

I'll happily calculate the amount of kilo Newton's that'll land on your face, courtesy of my fist.
from incomplete data

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I gotta have cash dawg.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2011, 02:28:43 PM »
::)

computers and internet arent luxury then what is?  ;D

Sure from that perspective. Other than food, a blanket and a grass hut virtually everything you and I have are luxuries. One to the things that separates us from animals is how we can improve the qualities of out life. Refrigeration, a/c, houses of all shapes and sizes, running water, toilets, plumbing, varieties of foods, spices, seasonings and ways to prepare it, gyms, your weed, hair cuts/styles, books, movies..., it just goes on and on and on. We've evolved so that our lives doesn't just consist of just looking for food, avoid being eaten, and finding somewhere not to get wet or sun burn.

Tbombz, your level of ignorance and stupidity is so mind boggling that you are simply unaware of all that's out there and the difference that it makes and just don't have the imagination and sense of self-awareness to realize how stupid you really are. That's why you feel so arrogantly and smugly comfortable spouting off on subjects you just have no clue about and are oblivious to how you come across and how no one takes you seriously or respects you. You're just a sad joke still living with his parents getting high, trying to get big lifting weights and having gay sex with no concrete plans for the future.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »
I'd prefer a pocket protector.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
I'd prefer a pocket protector.

You're not talking about one of these are you ;)

:

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2011, 10:00:16 PM »

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #308 on: April 15, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
Damn you are RETARDED! and you don't even realize it. You only need geometry for the bridge? lol. I'm studing "**** engineering" and we use integration mainly to calculate fluid presion and work. It's very important to us and we are far from being "rocket scientists". Saying advance algebra is a complete waste of time it's just so retarded that I don't know if you are a troll or what.

TMBOMBZ:  Honestly, your comments about math NOT being important, etc, is about as ignorant a comment as you can make.  Math is the foundation of just about all careers revolving around the sciences, even the different biologies.  Math is what got us into space.  Math is what builds us cities.  Math is how you commute to work.  I'm not going to continue because the applications of math are too vast. 

You need to know when to pick your battles bro.  You're young and still learning that. 

Sure from that perspective. Other than food, a blanket and a grass hut virtually everything you and I have are luxuries. One to the things that separates us from animals is how we can improve the qualities of out life. Refrigeration, a/c, houses of all shapes and sizes, running water, toilets, plumbing, varieties of foods, spices, seasonings and ways to prepare it, gyms, your weed, hair cuts/styles, books, movies..., it just goes on and on and on. We've evolved so that our lives doesn't just consist of just looking for food, avoid being eaten, and finding somewhere not to get wet or sun burn.

Tbombz, your level of ignorance and stupidity is so mind boggling that you are simply unaware of all that's out there and the difference that it makes and just don't have the imagination and sense of self-awareness to realize how stupid you really are. That's why you feel so arrogantly and smugly comfortable spouting off on subjects you just have no clue about and are oblivious to how you come across and how no one takes you seriously or respects you. You're just a sad joke still living with his parents getting high, trying to get big lifting weights and having gay sex with no concrete plans for the future.

^^^^^^^^  ;D

I think I set a record for most meltdowns stimulated with one post  8)

Looks like some math nerds have gotten their feelings hurt ...

... Here, I'll let you in on some genius from a woman scholar in the beginning of the last century...  Every time technology advances, the status of man declines

Now go fuck yourself  :-*

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #309 on: April 15, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »
LMFAO dizzle mathematics is the language of life my boy...everything can be boiled down to math.

If youre going to study economics you are indeed going to have to learn a good amount of calculus and stats. If you go into accounting youre going to have to learn a whole shit load of accounting related equations and formulas(other words for math ;)) Finance is again a lot of statistics and calculus.

if you go into something where you need a license like the Series 7 you cant use a calculator the GMATS dont allow you to use a calculator.

I agree its stupid but it also is very important to understand the concepts behind the calculations the calculators do. It allows you to manipulate and combine equations, formulas, problem solving techniques in your head.

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #310 on: April 16, 2011, 06:19:27 AM »

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #311 on: April 16, 2011, 06:26:40 AM »
Rule 1:     First perform any calculations inside parentheses.
Rule 2:     Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
Rule 3:     Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right. - Mathgoodies.com

PE(MD)(AS)- The reason (multiplication & division - MD) and (add & subtract - AS) are "grouped" in sets of parentheses is that when those operations are next to each other you do the math from left to right.  You do not always do multiplication or addition first.  It may be the case where division will be done BEFORE multiplication or subtraction will be done BEFORE addition - Regentsprep.org

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 ÷ 3 × 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first. - Purplemath.com

Rules

1. Calculations must be done from left to right.

2. Calculations in brackets (parenthesis) are done first. When you have more than one set of brackets, do the inner brackets first.

3. Exponents (or radicals) must be done next.

4. Multiply and divide in the order the operations occur.

5. Add and subtract in the order the operations occur. - Math.About.com

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #312 on: April 16, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
Thanks nobody has mentioned pemdas for the last 13 pages...  ::)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #313 on: April 16, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »
Thanks nobody has mentioned pemdas for the last 13 pages...  ::)
Yup I did way back in page 1 or 2 :D
A

obtuse_waiter

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #314 on: April 17, 2011, 12:48:09 AM »
24  x 12

240 + 2 x 24

240 + 48

spude

• Getbig III
« Reply #315 on: April 17, 2011, 12:51:29 AM »
Yup I did way back in page 1 or 2 :D

maybe but most of you fellas have understood it wrong...this ugmt dude on the other hand did a good job explaining it out for all the less intelligent getbiggers...pe(md)(as) is actually a very good and easily understandable way to write it...multiplication and division are same level operations that are performed left to right, same with addition and subtraction...techncally we can't even separate multiplication and division from each other, multiplying by two is the same as dividing by 1/2 and so forth...and adding 3 is exactly the same operation as subtracting -3

spude

• Getbig III
« Reply #316 on: April 17, 2011, 12:53:11 AM »
24  x 12

240 + 2 x 24

240 + 48

weird way of thinking but correct answer...just remember that flex wheeler didn't have too big delts or quads

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #317 on: April 17, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/ALGEBRA/AOP2/Lorder.htm

This thread is amazing. 

I agree.

"multiplication and division are done as they are encountered from left to right."

you just can't get it through to some people.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #318 on: April 17, 2011, 12:03:36 PM »
No, I'm not familiar with that term.

ab is shorthand for a * b, that is all what "implicit" multiplication is - shorthand notation. It does not grant higher precedence than it already has. Parentheses do that.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #319 on: April 17, 2011, 11:12:27 PM »
Can't believe this thread is still going, for all the idiot that got 2,

BEDMAS = Brackets, Exponents, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction

therefore; 288 is the answer.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #320 on: April 18, 2011, 12:42:18 PM »
when I enter the formula into Excel, I get an error prompt and I am asked to enter a "*" after the "2".
w

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #321 on: April 18, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
  • 2(9+3)
  • 2(12)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #322 on: April 18, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »
  • 2(9+3)
  • (9+3)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #323 on: April 18, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »
Hasnt this shit been resolved yet?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: April 18, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »
Nothing to resolve...people confuse fortran/dartmouth basic with algebraic notation...