Author Topic: The Rise & Fall of the WBF...  (Read 10320 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: The Rise & Fall of the WBF...
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 06:48:33 AM »
I found a VHS copy of the 1991 WBF championship for just under $8. I've always wanted to see the entire show, not just the clips that I recorded off BodyStars or the footage I've found on YouTube.

I've often wondered what the 1992 show would have been like, prior to the hammer going down (and if Ferrigno has stayed to challenge Strydom).

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 04:39:19 AM »
The drug testing ruined the WBF totally.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
The drug testing ruined the WBF totally.

McMahon had no choice. There was NO WAY the wrestlers were going to endure it, while the bodybuilders got off scott-free. Plus, he hired Dr. Mauro Dipasquale, who tested them for everything but the kitchen sink.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 05:12:41 AM »
Vince was years ahead of his time with this concept. Supposedly Strydom was the top paid with Jim Quinn making in the range of $150K per yr. It was a no brainer as these guys made more money in one yr then they would in 5 in the IFBB. If this was around today, I think t would have been successful. With Vince's money and Wayne Demilla's mind...it would have done well.

When they all returned, they were supposeldy welcomed with open arms when in fact they weren't. I think Aaron Baker was the only one that continued to truly compete and always placed out of the money when IMO, he was one of the better BB'ers out there and could stand toe to toe with Flex,Cormier and a few others.....

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
Vince was years ahead of his time with this concept. Supposedly Strydom was the top paid with Jim Quinn making in the range of $150K per yr. It was a no brainer as these guys made more money in one yr then they would in 5 in the IFBB. If this was around today, I think t would have been successful. With Vince's money and Wayne Demilla's mind...it would have done well.

When they all returned, they were supposeldy welcomed with open arms when in fact they weren't. I think Aaron Baker was the only one that continued to truly compete and always placed out of the money when IMO, he was one of the better BB'ers out there and could stand toe to toe with Flex,Cormier and a few others.....

Don't forget about David Dearth. He did alright himself. And Mike Quinn, he redeemed himself by placing 5th at the 1994 NOC, which qualified him for the Olympia.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 05:41:45 PM »
I just got the 1991 WBF Championship that I ordered off Amazon.com.

But, for the big haired ladies (the BodyRockers), you'd hardly know that this video is nearly 20 years old. The production looks better than Olympia shows TODAY.

I just finished watching Berry DeMey's performance, followed by Aaron Baker. Right now, Troy Zuccolotto's "pre-film" is on. And Troy's about to appear with his beach bunnies.

It just goes to show how far the WBF fell off in 1992. The "BodyRockers" in 1991 were women; in 1992, they were a bunch of little kids.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
Mike Christian is up.

All I can say is that if you don't believe the 1992 Championship was drug-tested to the nth-degree, take a GOOD LOOK at Mike Christian from 1991; then look at him in 1992.

Keep in mind that the the testing started three months before the 2nd show.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 04:40:41 AM »
Mike Quinn took the drug testing the hardest, you want to talk about not coming in shape.....they would have been better saying he had food poisoning or the flu...

Regarding the Amazon purchase...was it DVD or VHS as I would love to get a copy of DVD

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 04:51:01 AM »
Mike Quinn took the drug testing the hardest, you want to talk about not coming in shape.....they would have been better saying he had food poisoning or the flu...

Actually, "The Phoenix" Vince Comeford didn't show for the 1992 Championship due to pneumonia (and hasn't been seen since the '91 show).

Regarding the Amazon purchase...was it DVD or VHS as I would love to get a copy of DVD

As of last week there are only 4 copies left on Amazon.com. All of them are videotapes (this was back in 1991)

The cheapest one left is $9.98 + $2.98 (S & H). I got the previous cheapest one for $4.98.
Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/6302178304/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1303645763&sr=8-1&condition=all

I finally got to see one of my all-time favorites, Eddie Robinson (Major Guns), do his entire routine from the 1991 show, not just the snippet that aired on BodyStars. That's Eddie at his best. I actually picked either him or Strydom to win it all, back in 1991; but I was disappointed when Eddie got 5th.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »
The "Giant Killer" Danny Padilla's routine is to say the least, interesting. I saw some old footage of him. It appears he didn't do all that samba stuff, until he joined the WBF.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »
It was interesting as nobody really had a "track record" aside from Padilla and Strydom as everyone else was a gamble....

Again I think if it was today, it would have been successful...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 06:14:59 AM »
It was interesting as nobody really had a "track record" aside from Padilla and Strydom as everyone else was a gamble....

Again I think if it was today, it would have been successful...

Not quite!!

Mike Christian: He placed 4th at the 1990 Mr. Olympia before jumping ship; won the Pro World Championships (the forerunner to the Arnold Classic).

Mike Quinn: Two top-10 Olympia placings

Eddie Robinson: Placed 10th at the 1990 Olympia; won his first pro show (1990 Gold's Classic).

Tony Pearson: Winner of several pro shows (most notably, mixed pairs championships).

The three rookies at that show were Jim Quinn (1990 North American Champion), Aaron Baker (1990 USA Champion), and Troy Zuccolotto (1989 NPC Nationals Champion; 1989 IFBB World Amateur Champion [Mr. Universe]).

On another note, I think Johnnie Morant wants to have a little chat with Toney Freeman about stealing his "Executioner" gimmick.

;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »

The commentators at the second show threw Mike Christian under the bus. Tom Platz even suggested "I think he's had a hard time with the transition to steroid-free.

As for Quinn, Vince McMahon's comments were a bit kinder, "But, I think it's safe to say, Tom, in terms of physique, that Mighy Mike Quinn has been better in the past. Same with Christian, "Unbelievable effort on the part of Mike Christian, who has not been enjoying the greatest of health, as of late. But, I tell you!! What an effort!!"

Christian looked as if he was impaled, prior to his posing performance.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
did any of the competitors fail the drug test?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 05:37:03 AM »
did any of the competitors fail the drug test?

The testing was done throughout the months, leading to the championship, not just on the day of the show. Mike Christian complained that he had some stuff, lingering in his system when his test results were positive even when he ceased with the intake. Nonetheless, he said it cost him a month's check ($25,000).