Author Topic: Michele Bachmann 2012 Breakdown - Radical Republican Presidential Candidate  (Read 17893 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Easy... Special treatment... Same as always.

Women don't want "equality" they want special treatment... No shock there.

Dang.  You really believe this?  You think the board of directors of a Fortune 500 company decides to compensate women CEOs more than men because of "special treatment"?

How exactly does that work?  The board takes a look at a female CEO and gives her an undeserved bump in compensation, unrelated to performance, solely because she is a woman? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Dang.  You really believe this?  You think the board of directors of a Fortune 500 company decides to compensate women CEOs more than men because of "special treatment"?

How exactly does that work?  The board takes a look at a female CEO and gives her an undeserved bump in compensation, unrelated to performance, solely because she is a woman? 

Carly Fiorina... Get back to me after that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Carly Fiorina... Get back to me after that.

No idea what you're talking about. 

Can you walk me through how you think this "special treatment" for women compensation works during a Fortune 500 company board of directors meeting? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
No idea what you're talking about.  

Can you walk me through how you think this "special treatment" for women compensation works during a Fortune 500 company board of directors meeting?  

You believe that these women do that much of a better job than their male counterparts?

That's what you're telling me?

A 43% better job?

Funny... I don't see Yahoo making some huge money... As a matter of fact, they're still in the tank... So get back with me when she earns that money.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
You believe that these women are doing a better job then their male counterparts... enough to warrant them getting paid MORE than those men?

Certainly you don't truly believe this.

I posted statistics that show female CEOs at Fortune 500 companies make more than their male counterparts.  When I asked how you explain this, you said "special treatment." 

What I'm asking is for you to walk me through how you think this "special treatment" compensation is decided by the board of directors at a Fortune 500 company.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
I posted statistics that show female CEOs at Fortune 500 companies make more than their male counterparts.  When I asked how you explain this, you said "special treatment." 

What I'm asking is for you to walk me through how you think this "special treatment" compensation is decided by the board of directors at a Fortune 500 company.

It is done quietly... Deep down they don't want to be seen as "sexist" so they over compensate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

It is done quietly... Deep down they don't want to be seen as "sexist" so they over compensate.

I see.  They hide it from the shareholders?  Do they redact it from the meeting minutes? 

You do realize that compensation is voted on and approved by the board? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
I see.  They hide it from the shareholders?  Do they redact it from the meeting minutes? 

You do realize that compensation is voted on and approved by the board? 

Yes... I realize it.

They simply don't bring it up Beach... No one wants to be seen as the evil person who says the woman can't get her money, so they just don't talk about it.

Again, where has Carol Bartz earned that money... Yahoo stock is up .98% since the same time last year.. She's been in the job since Jan 2009... In that time Yahoo's only decent jump in stock price took a jump because she cut 1600 jobs.

Where did she do something worth 43% more than someone else?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Yes... I realize it.

They simply don't bring it up Beach... No one wants to be seen as the evil person who says the woman can't get her money, so they just don't talk about it.

Again, where has Carol Bartz earned that money... Yahoo stock is up .98% since the same time last year.. She's been in the job since Jan 2009... In that time Yahoo's only decent jump in stock price took a jump because she cut 1600 jobs.

Where did she do something worth 43% more than someone else?

Dude.  If they don't bring it up, how do you know it happens??  You have some inside info? 

I've sat on a number of boards, hired, fired, and voted on compensation.  I don't ever recall some unwritten, unspoken "special treatment" for women.  It's about performance.

I don't know the specifics about Carol Bartz, or why the stock allegedly hasn't risen much in two years.  Perhaps it's because the entire market has been in the tank?  I'd need to know the state of the organization when she took over and how the organization has performed, as a whole, the past two years.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Dude.  If they don't bring it up, how do you know it happens??  You have some inside info? 

I've sat on a number of boards, hired, fired, and voted on compensation.  I don't ever recall some unwritten, unspoken "special treatment" for women.  It's about performance.

I don't know the specifics about Carol Bartz, or why the stock allegedly hasn't risen much in two years.  Perhaps it's because the entire market has been in the tank?  I'd need to know the state of the organization when she took over and how the organization has performed, as a whole, the past two years.   

All of Yahoo's information is out there... like I stated... a jump when she laid off 1600 people and that's it... Yahoo's information is available.

You are not reading what I'm typing Beach... No one will ever say anything like "she doesn't deserve that" in a board room because they would be a sexist asshole... People are too chicken shit to say the truth, so they say... whatever... give it to her.

In the real world, when camera's aren't running and you are discussing things where work actually gets done (which isn't the boardroom) I guarantee you the conversations occurred... they occur everywhere.

Real decisions don't happen in the boardroom... As someone who has sat on the board of so many companies... I'm sure you know this.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
All of Yahoo's information is out there... like I stated... a jump when she laid off 1600 people and that's it... Yahoo's information is available.

You are not reading what I'm typing Beach... No one will ever say anything like "she doesn't deserve that" in a board room because they would be a sexist asshole... People are too chicken shit to say the truth, so they say... whatever... give it to her.

In the real world, when camera's aren't running and you are discussing things where work actually gets done (which isn't the boardroom) I guarantee you the conversations occurred... they occur everywhere.

Real decisions don't happen in the boardroom... As someone who has sat on the board of so many companies... I'm sure you know this.

Part of what you say is true.  I've seen how some board members will have discussed matters beforehand and have a pretty clear agenda.  Can be very frustrating.  I've also heard (as I mentioned earlier in this thread), men in upper management make disparaging comments about women.  More than once.   

That said, it is a gross overstatement to say "real decisions" don't happen in the boardroom.  Yes, they do.  And at the end of the day, a decision on compensation has to be justified by performance.

It sounds like you are making some pretty broad assumptions.  It is unreasonable to try and explain away female CEO compensation exceeding their male counterparts based on unspoken, unwritten "special treatment," or some water cooler talk.   Business is largely about making a profit.  If a CEO does a good job running a company, the CEO will get paid. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Part of what you say is true.  I've seen how some board members will have discussed matters beforehand and have a pretty clear agenda.  Can be very frustrating.  I've also heard (as I mentioned earlier in this thread), men in upper management make disparaging comments about women.  More than once.   

That said, it is a gross overstatement to say "real decisions" don't happen in the boardroom.  Yes, they do.  And at the end of the day, a decision on compensation has to be justified by performance.

It sounds like you are making some pretty broad assumptions.  It is unreasonable to try and explain away female CEO compensation exceeding their male counterparts based on unspoken, unwritten "special treatment," or some water cooler talk.   Business is largely about making a profit.  If a CEO does a good job running a company, the CEO will get paid. 

That's not true... CEOs are paid based upon expected performance... When they don't perform as expected... They tenure resignation and walk away with huge sums of money.

I can tell you about certain VPs in my own location who used to sit in the floor above me and how ridiculous they were, but you wouldn't listen, so it doesn't matter.